DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   John Frusciante leaves Red Hot Chili Peppers again [Update: He's back...again] (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/566657-john-frusciante-leaves-red-hot-chili-peppers-again-%5Bupdate-hes-back-again%5D.html)

GuessWho 12-18-09 06:49 AM

John Frusciante leaves Red Hot Chili Peppers again [Update: He's back...again]

http://johnfrusciante.com/

December 16th, 2009

When I quit the band, over a year ago, we were on an indefinite hiatus. There was no drama or anger involved, and the other guys were very understanding. They are supportive of my doing whatever makes me happy and that goes both ways.

To put it simply, my musical interests have led me in a different direction. Upon rejoining, and throughout my time in the band, I was very excited about exploring the musical possibilities inherent in a rock band, and doing so with those people in particular. A couple of years ago, I began to feel that same excitement again, but this time it was about making a different kind of music, alone, and being my own engineer.

I really love the band and what we did. I understand and value that my work with them means a lot to many people, but I have to follow my interests. For me, art has never been something done out of a sense of duty. It is something I do because it is really fun, exciting, and interesting. Over the last 12 years, I have changed, as a person and artist, to such a degree that to do further work along the lines I did with the band would be to go against my own nature. There was no choice involved in this decision. I simply have to be what I am, and have to do what I must do.

Sending love and gratitude to you all

auto 12-18-09 07:52 AM

re: John Frusciante leaves Red Hot Chili Peppers again [Update: He's back...again

I heard about this a long time ago. Is the story just hitting the mainstream press?

atlantamoi 12-18-09 08:12 AM

re: John Frusciante leaves Red Hot Chili Peppers again [Update: He's back...again

I've felt like RHCP have been coasting for a very long time now. Good to see him try something different.

Drop 12-18-09 08:12 AM

Well it's just been confirmed by John, so that's why it's news.

The rumor is Josh Klinghoffer is going to replace him. Good choice, but it'll be weird. Although more John solo stuff is what I want so I'm not that disappointed.

mkdevo 12-21-09 01:25 PM

john frusciante is one of my favorite musicians, and i love his solo work and look forward to a lot more of it. i just hope he plays some shows, and doesn't just stick with studio work.

rhcp is one of my all-time favorite bands. i'm a fan of pretty much everything they've done, with hillel, john, and dave. that being said, i absolutely dread what their next album is going to sound like. it's not 1995 anymore. this has pretty much been john's band since californication, and i've thought that more and more with each album. not taking anything away from flea/chad/anthony, but i don't feel john is replaceable at this point. his role in the band as a guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter is not one that can be filled, and a huge part of me wishes they'd just call it quits. stadium arcadium would have been a very strong note to go out on. but i fear that they'll instead just release 2-3 more forgettable albums, and then decide to call it a day.

i'd love to be wrong, but i'm not looking forward to the future of rhcp one bit. glad i caught 6 shows on the SA tour.

DVD Josh 12-21-09 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by Drop (Post 9896275)
Well it's just been confirmed by John, so that's why it's news.

The rumor is Josh Klinghoffer is going to replace him. Good choice, but it'll be weird. Although more John solo stuff is what I want so I'm not that disappointed.

Some folks "in the know" around the band have said that while they love Josh as a guitarist in the short term there is some concern regarding his songwriting and how it fits in with the band.

dvduser6 12-21-09 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by mkdevo (Post 9901657)
john frusciante is one of my favorite musicians, and i love his solo work and look forward to a lot more of it. i just hope he plays some shows, and doesn't just stick with studio work.

rhcp is one of my all-time favorite bands. i'm a fan of pretty much everything they've done, with hillel, john, and dave. that being said, i absolutely dread what their next album is going to sound like. it's not 1995 anymore. this has pretty much been john's band since californication, and i've thought that more and more with each album. not taking anything away from flea/chad/anthony, but i don't feel john is replaceable at this point. his role in the band as a guitarist, vocalist, and songwriter is not one that can be filled, and a huge part of me wishes they'd just call it quits. stadium arcadium would have been a very strong note to go out on. but i fear that they'll instead just release 2-3 more forgettable albums, and then decide to call it a day.

i'd love to be wrong, but i'm not looking forward to the future of rhcp one bit. glad i caught 6 shows on the SA tour.

Very much in agreement with you. While I certainly look forward to any solo material he puts out, I just cannot picture the Peppers with anybody else in the lead guitar spot at this point in their career.

dex14 12-15-19 04:30 PM

He’s back!!!!

Thank fucking Christ. I hated the sound that other guy brought.

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/dvdtalk...b38eeb2de.jpeg

story 12-15-19 04:46 PM

Wow, okay! This is great news!

I'm with You just didn't click for me and I don't know that I even knew The Getaway came out. My kids are HUGE Chili Peppers fans. Their Greatest Hits is basically their favorite record. You're not doing it right unless your little kids are shout-singing "Dream of CaliFORniCAtion!" in public.

Mike86 12-15-19 04:54 PM

I bought their last album (The Getaway) digitally because it was cheap through the iTunes Store. Never really listened to it much. Saw them in 2011 when they were on tour for I’m With You. I thought that album was slightly better but still not great.

I wasn’t huge on Stadium Arcadium, which was the last album they put out prior to Frusciante leaving. Before that though I would say Californication and By the Way were great albums. Maybe a break was good for Frusciante and they’ll release a strong new album.

Josh-da-man 12-15-19 06:45 PM

Re: John Frusciante leaves Red Hot Chili Peppers again [Update: He's back...again]

Shit, I'm so out of the loop that I didn't knowFrusciante has been gone for ten years!

It's kind of weird how Flea and Anthony are the "face" of the band, but they live and die by who's playing guitar. (Remembering the Dave Navarro years...)

cdollaz 12-15-19 09:39 PM

Re: John Frusciante leaves Red Hot Chili Peppers again [Update: He's back...again]

If they do not write some better songs, this is not gonna matter.