DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   UK posters...download Rage (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/566627-uk-posters-download-rage.html)

nothingfails 12-17-09 04:52 PM

There is a current plan that looks like it might work for Rage Against The Machine's "Killing In the Name" as a F-You to Simon Cowell for releasing X Factor singles every Christmas to hog the UK #1 position.

If I was in the UK, I'd buy ten copies. I think Simon has ruined music (that's right, I include Lambert in this) and it's nice to see people standing up to him. He made himself look like such a fool when he smugly bashed Bruce Springsteen on 60 Minutes a few years back... anyone who thinks Clay Aiken or Leona Lewis or any of that crap has more talent than The Boss is nuts. Simon is all for making artists puppets. Plus, the way he plays favorites (his "pet" Leona Lewis got a US contract, X Factor winners that he didn't fave from the beginning like Shayne Ward or Leon Jackson have never been given a shot to break stateside) is like a real life version of the Jamie Foxx character in Dreamgirls, and I am all for people wiping the smirk off his face.

Dave Grohl pledges his support to Rage Against The Machine in 'X Factor' chart battle

'I'm all for it,' he says, before admitting he'll be buying a copy of 'Killing In The Name'

Dave Grohl has said he'll be buying a copy of Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' this week to try and help the song get to Number One ahead of The X Factor winner Joe McElderry on Sunday (December 20).

The 1992 song is currently in a chart battle with McElderry's single 'The Climb' after over 800,000 people joined a Facebook group registering their disgust with Simon Cowell and The X Factor.

Grohl told Tom Russell on 96.3 Rock Radio that he first became aware of the campaign after a garage worker mentioned it to him while he was travelling up the M6.

"I'm paying for my sandwich and he said, 'Are you gonna buy the Rage Against The Machine single this week? And I said, 'Yeah I think I might have to!" he said.

Speaking of why the campaign is proving so popular, Grohl said he thinks people are "sick" of reality TV programmes like The X Factor.

"There's some music that I question its intention," he explained. "When people rise up and decide, 'Hey man, I'm sick of this, let's derail this other thing for something real' I'm all for it."

He also praised 'Killing In The Name' as a song with a powerful meaning.

"I think that maybe what's happening now with the Rage Against The Machine thing, is people are really craving the warts and all," Grohl explained. "And that song is just an incredible song, and it's meaningful. Maybe they're craving something that actually means something?"

'Killing In The Name' recently became the bookies' favourite to bag the Christmas Number One slot.

Simon Cowell has slammed the campaign, calling it "stupid", "cynical" and "very Scrooge". Rage Against The Machine's Tom Morello has publicly given the campaign his backing.

Steve Brookstein: 'Cowell ruined Xmas'

Thursday, December 17 2009, 4:11pm EST

By Oli Simpson
Steve Brookstein: 'Cowell ruined Xmas'

Former X Factor winner Steve Brookstein has hit out at the show and Simon Cowell in an impassioned Facebook message.

Brookstein, who won the first series of the programme in 2004 but was later dropped by Cowell, affirmed his support of Rage Against The Machine's 'Killing In The Name' for Christmas number one.

He wrote: "Before X Factor gimps have a go, I will tell you this and I sware (sic) on my son's life, I was not bothered that my single 'Against All Odds' went to number one and I wasn't bothered that my album went to number one. I just wanted to make good music - and not the pop schlop associated with Cowell.

"Unfortunately. I was dropped because I wouldn't play the game. Now to my point - X Factor is on for four months - surely winning the show and getting a deal is enough for any artist."

Brookstein added: "To release for Christmas is just mega rich Simon Cowell doing a f**k you to Santa Claus, Rudolph, all the little elves, Frosty and not forgetting Baby Jesus. What a douche!"

GreenVulture 12-17-09 05:32 PM

Re: UK posters...download Rage

Rage and McElderry are both signed to Sony Records, so the company must be loving this right now.

chino77 12-17-09 07:21 PM

whats the big deal about releasing a single at xmas?

nothingfails 12-17-09 07:29 PM

Originally Posted by chino77 (Post 9895605)
whats the big deal about releasing a single at xmas?

the UK chart geeks really consider a Christmas #1 to be a big deal... more than US chartheads do. But for the past 4-5 years straight, Simon has bought the Christmas #1 single and a lot of people are sick of his karaoke artists and want to see someone "real" for once win over this, hence the decision to get Rage Against The Machine to be downloaded instead of the X Factor winner.

I am glad people are standing up to Simon.... he picks people on looks and how well they can perform Elton John oldies instead of what kind of an artist they are. You will never know how much an artist someone will be just by having them perform the greatest hits of Queen and Stevie Wonder. It's made a mockery of artists who have had to work hard to make it in the industry.

His comments about Springsteen on 60 Minutes was the final nail in the coffin. Simon Cowell has no soul and only sees music as $$$$ instead of art.

nothingfails 12-18-09 06:00 PM

Another reason to support Rage.... it pisses Perez off.

I love how Simon says it's David vs. Goliath and is acting all upset that people are being mean to his 18 year old butt boy. Yea, you're Goliath Simon. You've sucked the heart and soul out of music and people are tired of your ilk.

I'm the first to admit I love a lot of cheesy pop music, but Simon's attitude about music is to completely dispose of any shred of artistic integrity.

nothingfails 12-18-09 10:26 PM

LMAO!!!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/LqC9UUiWVeg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/LqC9UUiWVeg&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en_US&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

nothingfails 12-20-09 03:35 PM

the trick worked, RATM are number one!!!

01. (80) Killing In the Name - RATM 502.6k
02. (--) The Climb - Joe 450.8k