Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Your Top 10 Albums of 2009

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-17-09, 12:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright, I haven't seen this thread made yet so I am gonna start it.
What a weak year for music (for me) and the albums critics love I am not a huge fan of (Animal Collective, Dirty Projectors, Grizzly Bear)
I don't even have a real #1 album, everything kinda feels like it should be a 5, but ah well, here it is.

1. The Doves - Kingdom of Rust
2. The Antlers - Hospice
3. Future of the Left - Travels With Myself and Another
4. Sonic Youth - The Eternal
5. The Horrors - Primary Colours
6. We Were Promised Jetpacks - These Four Walls
7. The Veils - Sun Gangs
8. A Place To Bury Strangers - Exploding Head
9. Silversun Pickups - Swoon
10. Bad Veins - Bad Veins

Honorable Mentions: The Twilight Sad, Placebo, Air, Dinosaur Jr, The Dead Weather, Russian Circles, The XX, Lymbyc Systym, St. Vincent, Ume, Girls, Division Day, and The Big Pink

Biggest Dissapointments: Muse, Editors, Islands, and The Raveonettes

Biggest Meh Albums: Moby and Built to Spill

And a surprisingly good EP award goes to Modest Mouse

Last edited by TripWire; 12-29-09 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 05:17 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Re: Your Top 10 Albums of 2009

1) Black Sabbath :The Devil You Know
2) Shadows Fall :Retribution
3) Ace Frehley :Anomoly
4) Slayer : World Painted Blood
5) Megadeth :Endgame
6) Lamb of God :Wraith
7) Kiss :Sonic Boom
8) Bullets and Octaine :Laughing in the Face of Failure
9) Powerman 5000: Somewhere on The Other Side Of Nowhere
10) Five Finger Death Punch : War is The Answer

Last edited by cactusoly; 12-20-09 at 06:15 AM.
Old 12-19-09, 07:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cactusoly
1) Black Sabbath :The Devil You Know
2) Shadows Fall :Retribution
3) Ace Frehley :Anomoly
4) Slayer : World Painted Blood
5) Megadeth :Endgame
6) Trivium :Shogun
7) Lamb of God :Wraith
8) Kiss :Sonic Boom
9) Bullets and Octaine :Laughing in the Face of Failure
10) Powerman 5000: Somewhere on The Other Side Of Nowhere
Shogun came out last year

here's mine

1.Between the Buried and Me "the Great Misdirect"
2.Mastodon "Crack the Skye"
3.Kylesa "Scapegoat"
4.Arkona "Go Goi Rode"
5.Dying Fetus "Descend into Depravity"
6.Muse "the Resistance"
7.Vader "Necropolis"
8.Iwrestledabearonce "Its All Happening"
9.Eluveitie "Evocation I - The Arcane Dominion"
10.Shadows Fall "Retribution"

Last edited by Rypro 525; 12-19-09 at 07:35 PM.
Old 12-19-09, 11:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

1. Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix - Phoenix
2. Swoon - Silversun Pickups
3. Fantasies - Metric
4. Middle Cyclone - Neko Case
5. The XX
6. Vekatimest - Grizzly Bear
7. Two Suns - Bat for Lashes
8. It's Blitz - Yeah Yeah Yeahs
9. Kingdom of Rust - Doves
10. Armistice - MUTEMATH
Old 12-20-09, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still working on finalizing my list, but I'll add it later this week. Already do see some similarities with what's been posted, though.
Old 12-20-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The official 10 Best albums this year that everyone with ears whould own. . .

1. Antlers - Hospice Probably the only album released this year that I would consider an absolute classic album that I would rate a near perfect 10. It's a concept album relating the tale of a man whose wife has terminal bone cancer, beginning with her diagnosis (Prologue/Kettering) and ending with her demise (Wake/Epilogue). Just awe-inspiring lyrics (culminating with the masterpiece that is Two) and truly a work of art. Should be in every music fans heavy rotation.

2. The Thermals - Now We Can See Get in your car ,crank the volume and play the title track, go for a drive & then tell me you don't love this song & album. Filled with energy and ridiculously infectious hooks this is a truly must-own album.

3. The Avett Brothers - I And Love And You I always respect a band that attempts something a little new & makes an effort to make a body of music that sounds different than one fans expect. The Brothers Avett venture away from their bluegrass roots to make more mainstream Rick Rubin-procuded pop, which I planned on hating once I heard that would be the approach. But the harmonies are exquisite and the songs powerful.

4. Sunset Rubdown - Dragonslayer Spencer Krug is one of the most gifted talents in all of music. I love the loony audicity of his side-project filled almost entirely of near 10-minute songs that defy listeners expectations. If you like your compact, factory-produced for the masses 2 & a half minute radio friendly fluff, then this album isn't for you. But if you love innovative musicianship and sophisticated art rock then this is a must own.

5. Baroness - The Blue Record Vastly superior to the horribly overrated Mastodon album filled with songs than just repeat themselves over & over again. It doesn't have the cleaned up highly produced sound Mastodon has which is why people probably dismiss it as inferior to their maintream breathren but the musicianship is far superior. I'm not a metal fan at all so it takes a damn good album to resonate with me.

6. St. Vincent - Actor One of the most beautiful women in music & a better guitar player than most men, Annie avoids the sophomore slump with her second phenomenal album. If there is any complaint its that her innovative guitar style only comes across in concert and not on the album. But the quirky melodies and complex textures elevate her music from others.

7. Juliana Barwick - Florine My roomate says this music is like the sounds of Angels farting. It's not for everyone, but if you are like me & prefer the unique over the traditional this is completely riveting. Utterly astonishing multi-tracked & layered vocal music.

8. Iron & Wine - Around the Well Love Vigilantes alone makes this a must own album. A band that can do no wrong this double album actually features a lot that I have never heard before.

9. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz I think I panned this album as dissapointing when it first came out. It sounded (& still does) like Karen just developed an unhealthy obsession with mimicking Emily Haines but I realized that when done right that really isn't a bad thing. Skeletons is right up there with Maps as one of the greatest songs they have ever produced.

10. Dan Deacon - Bromst I could put about a dozen different albums in this 10 spot but right now this gets the nod because I've been listening to it so much lately. It's not as bat-shit insane as Spiderman of the Rings but overall a better work of art. Like the Baroness album, this album is similar to another horrendoulsy overrated album of the year in Animal Collective's new one. Critics jizz all over AC so people eat it up when the album is utterly repetitive from everything they have ever done. For fans of swirlings sounds that can respect the talent in actually using real instruments as opposed to AC's looping tracks of alienating computers this is the far superior album.
Old 12-20-09, 08:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

1. The Antlers - Hospice
2. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
3. Doves - Kingdom of Rust
4. The Veils - Sun Gangs
5. White Rabbits - It's Frightening
6. We Were Promised Jetpacks - These Four Walls
7. Dead Man's Bones - Dead Man's Bones
8. Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
9. Metric - Fantasies
10. The Swell Season - Strict Joy
Old 12-20-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

1. Antlers - Hospice Probably the only album released this year that I would consider an absolute classic album that I would rate a near perfect 10. It's a concept album relating the tale of a man whose wife has terminal bone cancer, beginning with her diagnosis (Prologue/Kettering) and ending with her demise (Wake/Epilogue). Just awe-inspiring lyrics (culminating with the masterpiece that is Two) and truly a work of art. Should be in every music fans heavy rotation.

I'll be honest, this review has me inerested. Who would you say that they kind of sound like, since youtube and myspace has been acting really badly on my computer, and i'd rather not deal with it lol
Old 12-20-09, 11:05 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
2. Richmond Fontaine - We Used to Think the Freeway Sounded Like a River
3. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
4. Wilco - Wilco (the Album) (it's nowhere near the best Wilco has done)
5. Iron and Wine - Around the Well (although it's not really new stuff)
6. Yo La Tengo - Popular Songs
7. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
8. Girls - Album
9. Deer Tick - Born on Flag Day
10. Avett Brothers - I and Love and You (not as strong as their older stuff)

Last edited by CapRockBrewingCo.; 12-22-09 at 07:42 AM. Reason: Forgot about the Phoenix CD.
Old 12-21-09, 09:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I don't have a top ten, but my favorite album of the past year is probably The First Days of Spring from Noah and the Whale.

Old 12-21-09, 03:28 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
I'll be honest, this review has me inerested. Who would you say that they kind of sound like, since youtube and myspace has been acting really badly on my computer, and i'd rather not deal with it lol
Tough call, as it is a very unique sounding album. I would say the closest band to compare them to would be Modest Mouse, but quite different.

Here is my favorite track off the album. I've posted this in other threads, you shouldn't have problems playing it. It's a complex song, lots of different layers to the music & lyrically its astounding. One of the rare songs that can give you chills once you realize what the story is about.
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/UC5iVarCBiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/UC5iVarCBiA&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 12-21-09, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Best Albums
Spoiler:

1. Fake Problems - It's Great to Be Alive I've never really been that big on these guys. They always sounded like Against Me!-lite, but this album sees them finally finding their own sound, and I like it.

2. Portugal. The Man - The Satanic Satanist Their fourth album in as many years, and definitely their strongest. These guys started strong and then put out a pair of albums that simply collapsed under their own weight. This album has them reeling in some of their experimental tendencies in favor of writing more concise psychedelic pop songs.

3. NOFX - Coaster Basically just another NOFX album, and there's not a damn thing wrong with that. Fast, funny, and occasionally poignant punk rock, but probably not the album I'd recommend someone start with if trying to check these guys out.

4. The Aggrolites - IV One of my go-to bands for summertime music. Easily their most consistent album to date.

5. Matt & Kim - Grand The production's a bit slicker than their self-titled debut, but I don't mind. This duo is still making some of the catchiest, most danceable indie pop out there.

6. Anti-Flag - The People Or The Gun I thought these guys would lose some of the fire in their belly once Bush was no longer in office. Thankfully, I was wrong. Leaving their major label didn't hurt either.

7. Strike Anywhere - Iron Front One of the best melodic hardcore bands out there puts out their fourth consecutive rock-solid album. I just wish they'd pick up the pace and put out albums more often than every three years. Should be easy to do since they all hover around 30 minutes long.

8. Frank Turner - Poetry of the Deed This had some giant shoes to fill after Love Ire & Song, and it doesn't quite live up to the hopes I had for it but still a fantastic album from start to finish. I had the chance to catch a solo acoustic set earlier this year and the handful of songs he played from this album sounded much better with just him.

9. Alexisonfire - Old Crows/Young Cardinals Not as immediately catchy as Crisis, but once I got used to that I heard how great this album was. Like all their albums though, the slower stuff tends to drag down the flow a bit.

10. Cobra Skulls - American Rubicon Like Frank Turner, I had incredibly high hopes for this based on the strength of their last album and it fell short of those expectations. Once I had a chance to catch them live, I had a greater appreciation for the new material. The pacing's still a bit uneven, but there's a bunch of great tracks here.

Honorable Mentions
Spoiler:

Brand New - Daisy
Neko Case - Middle Cyclone
The Dear Hunter - Act III: Life and Death
Left Alone - Left Alone
P.O.S. - Never Better
Teenage Bottlerocket - They Came From the Shadows
Thursday - Common Existence
Thrice - Beggars
Westbound Train - Come and Get It

Best EPs
Spoiler:

1. NOFX - Cokie The Clown (also winner of the creepiest album art of the year)
2. Blue Scholars - OOF!
3. A Wilhelm Scream - A Wilhelm Scream

Overall Thoughts
These lists are always fun just for myself if only because I'm usually kinda harsh on the year as a whole until I actually sit down and reflect to the music I've heard, the movies I've watched, etc. The one thing that really stands out from my Top 10 list is that there are no new bands on my list. They're all artists that I've been following for at least a couple of years. Not sure if that's indicative of listening to fewer new bands this year or that the new bands I checked out just didn't impress me enough to knock out any old favorites.
Old 12-21-09, 04:47 PM

1. Animal Collective - Merriweather Post Pavilion
2. Grizzly Bear - Veckatimest
3. Dirty Projectors - Bitte Orca
4. Fuck Buttons - Tarot Sport
5. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
6. The xx - xx
7. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
8. St. Vincent - Actor
9. Bat for Lashes - Two Suns
10. Wild Beasts - Two Dancers

Honorable mentions (11-20):
Raekwon, The Flaming Lips, The Pains of Being Pure at Heart, Girls, Neko Case, The Antlers, Dinosaur Jr., The Very Best, Bill Callahan, Sunset Rubdown
Old 12-21-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

1. Megadeth - Endgame
2. Street Sweeper Social Club - Street Sweeper Social Club
3. Wale - Attention Defecit
4. Kid Cudi - Man on the Moon: The End of the Day
5. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way to Blue
6. lamb of God - Wrath
7. Method Man & Redman - Blackout! 2
8. Mos Def - The Ecstatic
9. Shadows Fall - Retribution
10. Slayer - World Painted Blood
Old 12-21-09, 08:48 PM

Not in Order. I'll come up with more later.

Chickenfoot - Chickenfoot
Colbie Caillat - Breakthrough
Dream Theater - Black Clouds & Silver Linings
Rodrigo y Gabriela - 11:11
Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
Prince - Lotus Flow3r

A few let downs:
Queensryche - American Soldier
Shakira - She Wolf

Last edited by Monica Clinton; 12-25-09 at 01:59 PM.
Old 12-22-09, 07:51 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Not in any order

21st Century Breakdown - Green Day
DarkHorse - Nickelback
The Fame Monster - Lady Gaga (they will be playing videos of this well into 2010)
Foo Fighters Greatest Hits
Daughtry
Pink

lots of other decent stuff from Linkin Park, Avett Brothers, New Republic and others where i may have heard a song or two but haven't had a chance to listen to the entire album
Old 12-22-09, 08:03 AM

I finally settled on a list yesterday, though this year was frustratingly difficult - outside of #1 which was no contest.

01 La Roux - La Roux
02 The Boxer Rebellion - Union
03 Pet Shop Boys - Yes
04 Dragonette - Fixin To Thrill
05 Kasabian - West Ryder Pauper Lunatic Asylum
06 The Big Pink - A Brief History of Love
07 Little Boots - Hands
08 Jarvis Cocker - Further Complications
09 Lady Sovereign - Jigsaw
10 Charlotte Hatherley - New Worlds
HM Annie - Don't Stop

Thoughts here.
Old 12-26-09, 06:24 PM

I'm liking the metal representation I am seeing in many lists here. Still working on finalizing mine. I do a top 25 every year and discuss with a group of friends.
Old 12-27-09, 07:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 176 Likes on 116 Posts

For the first time in about a decade, I don't know that I even bought ten new releases this year!

Really Enjoyed
Rosanne Cash - The List*
Norah Jones - The Fall
Miranda Lambert - Revolution
Black Joe Lewis & The Honeybears - Tell 'Em What Your Name Is!
George Strait - Twang

Like What I've Heard
Melody Gardot - My One and Only Thrill
Jewel - Lullaby
Those Darlins - Those Darlins

Okay
Brad Paisley - American Saturday Night
Hank Williams, Jr. - 127 Rose Avenue

*I've heard The List in its entirety, but have yet to buy it for myself.
Old 12-27-09, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Ok, I'm going to preface this by saying these are my favorite albums of the year, if not necessarily what might be considered the best, since that is completely subjective anyway. These are the ones I listened to, and for various reasons, enjoyed the most. This year I'm only going 15, although I would normally go 20 - but overall, it was a less than stellar year compared to others. Some artists who have made my list before, and I thought would again this year, didn't even place (*see below).

1. Our Lady Peace - Burn Burn Burn
2. Doves - Kingdom Of Rust
3. Metric - Fantasies
4. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz!
5. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
6. KISS - Sonic Boom
7. Pearl Jam - Backspacer
8. Cheap Trick - The Latest
9. Third Eye Blind - Ursa Major
10. As Tall As Lions - You Can't Take It With You
11. Mute Math - Armistice
12. Tegan And Sara - Sainthood
13. Franz Ferdinand - Tonight:Franz Ferdinand
12. Bleu - A Watched Pot
13. Silversun Pickups - Swoon
14. The XX - XX
15. Superdrag - Industry Giants

*Disappointments (personally, at least)
Muse - The Resistance - Probably my least favorite album they've released. It wasn't all bad, and there were a few great songs - but in comparison to what preceded it, it barely held my interest. I was hoping for more, and didn't find it.
Placebo - Battle for The Sun - Like Muse, I've grown accustomed to each album released by this band being better than the last. This one, however, seemed like a giant step back. To me, there was hardly anything memorable about it - except the single ("For What's It's Worth"), and that was only because part of the melody 'borrowed' from a Kiss song ("I Was Made For Loving You"). But at least they weren't alone in that endeavor, Springsteen lifted the same melody for his "Outlaw Pete" this year, too.
Rhett Miller - Rhett Miller - And again, the same situation here. This one got some good critical press, which I didn't understand at all, because it's the most boring work he's done in or out of the Old 97's. The songs, which usually in Miller's case are great, just weren't there.
Old 12-28-09, 07:26 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
DarkHorse - Nickelback
Old 12-28-09, 05:46 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by The Bus

agreed..... fucking Nickelback.
Old 12-28-09, 10:17 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

I hate Top Ten lists. They are so artificial, I can never narrow it down to ten, and since I have only listened to a minute fraction of the music that came out this year, it's completely pretentious for me to purport to identify the ten best albums.

So here, in no particular order, are ten good albums that came out this year and that I happened to have listened to:

The Thermals: Now We Can See
The Sounds: Crossing the Rubicon
Taking Back Sunday: New Again
Street Sweeper Social Club: Street Sweeper Social Club
Sonic Youth: The Eternal
Silversun Pickups: Swoon
Art Brut: Art Brut vs. Satan
Cocktail Slippers: Cocktail Slippers
Florence & the Machine: Lungs
The Ettes: Do You Want Power
Old 12-28-09, 11:39 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Some great titles here so far guys. Mine:

1) The Gossip - Music For Men
2) Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
3) Depeche Mode - Sounds of the Universe
4) Manic Street Preachers - Journal For Plague Lovers
5) Yeah Yeah Yeahs - It's Blitz
6) Muse - The Resistance
7) La Roux - La Roux
8) Lily Allen - It's Not Me It's You
9) Spinnerette - Spinnerette
10) Metric - Fantasies
Old 12-29-09, 12:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

1. Avett Brothers - I and Love and You
2. Phoenix - Wolfgang Amadeus Phoenix
3. Derek Trucks - Already Free
4. Wilco - Wilco
5. White Lies - To Lose My Life
6. Green Day - 21st Century Breakdown
7. Alice in Chains - Black Gives Way To Blue
8. Bat For Lashes - Two Suns
9. Dead Weather - Horehound
10. Maxwell - BLACKsummer's Night

Runners up:
Muse - The Resistance
U2 - No Line on the Horizon
Levon Helm - Electric Dirt
Black Crowes - Before The Frost
Ida Maria - Fortress Round My Heart

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.