Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Favorite Songs of 2009

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Favorite Songs of 2009

Old 12-16-09, 07:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Favorite Songs of 2009

My favorite songs in no order:

Mastodon - The Czar (Hell the whole album is amazing, I can't say it enough)
Behemoth - Ov Fire and the Void
Cannibal Corpse - Evisceration Plague
Alice in Chains - Check My Brain
Alice in Chains - Last of My Kind
Shadows Fall - Still I Rise
Rammstein - Pussy
Rammstein - Ich Tu Dir Weh
Job For A Cowboy - Unfurling A Darkened Gospel
Muse - Uprising

there are so many more I'm sure but also I've just recently picked up some highly recommended albums (Cobalt, Katatonia, Baroness, Isis, etc) that I'm sure have some amazing songs but it's still too early to judge. Hard to give all these new albums time with bands great albums from so many bands this year.

Last edited by House13; 12-16-09 at 07:39 PM.
Old 12-16-09, 08:04 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjim25 View Post
No particular order:
Hank Williams, Jr. - Red White & Pink Slip Blues
Jamey Johnson - High Cost Of Living
Miranda Lambert - White Liar
Holly Williams - Keep The Change
Foo Fighters - Wheels
Zac Brown Band - Toes
Zac Brown Band - Devil Went Down To Georgia [LIVE]
Miley Cyrus - Party In The USA
Brad Paisley - Welcome to the Future
Chickenfoot - Oh Yeah
Larry Gatlin & The Gatlin Brothers - Johnny Cash Is Dead (And His House Burned Down)
Darryl Worley - Sounds Like Life To Me
Cobra Starship with the fine Leighton Meester from Gossip Girl - Good Girls Go Bad

I have over 1000 country CDs but I also have alot of pop, rock, & some rap mixed in too.
I listened to Taylor Swift's version of American Girl and it's not too bad. She's got that rocker girl in her sometimes. I was really surprised that I liked the CMT Crossroads she did with Def Leppard.
I've generally liked most of Worley's stuff so far, but I found "Sounds Like Life to Me" infuriating. Maybe it's because I've dealt with depression and anxiety for so long, but I've got a short fuse when it comes to people telling other people they need to man up and get over their problems. If it were really that easy, we'd all do it.

Otherwise, a pretty interesting list. I enjoyed the Hank, Jr. cut you included, but I think I liked "I'm One of You" from his last album a bit better. I haven't listened to much of the Zac Brown Band, but my cousin and one of my friends are huge into them and keep insisting that I would like their stuff. I'll get around to it at some point...
Old 12-16-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by MinLShaw View Post
I enjoyed the Hank, Jr. cut you included, but I think I liked "I'm One of You" from his last album a bit better. I haven't listened to much of the Zac Brown Band, but my cousin and one of my friends are huge into them and keep insisting that I would like their stuff. I'll get around to it at some point...
My damn cousin did the same thing to me about Zac Brown Band. I didn't really care for Chicken Fried a whole lot but I gave the CD a try and liked most of it.

As for Hank, I do like the I'm One of You CD alot better than his new one but he's got so many good CDs and songs, I was sticking with picking one from this year. I have 29 Hank CDs so it would be hard to narrow it down to one but if I had to I would pick The Blues Man as my favorite.
Old 12-18-09, 11:53 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Banner Pilot - Skeleton Key
Old 12-23-09, 05:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No Doubt - Stand & Deliver

Yep it's not a single, and it's a remake. I love Gwen's voice.
Old 01-09-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Psychic City (Voodoo City) - Yacht
Lisztomania - Phoenix
People Got a Lotta Nerve - Neko Case
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXl870NoF4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/zXl870NoF4E&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
Old 01-09-10, 08:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

1.) Me My Head - Autumn (as beautiful and emotionally compelling a song produced by any brit-rock act this year..a stunner)
2.) The Hundreds and Thousands - Parade (better than anything on U2's last album)
3.) Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls/Lucid Dreams (for the fun factor)
4.) Placebo - Fuck You (true, it's an Archive cover tune, but Molko and Co. let it rip with this vulgar yet gorgeous rendition)
5.) The Bravery - Hatefuck (notice a pattern?)
6.) Street Sweeper Social Club - Promenade (the perfect rock/rap hybrid with Morello and Riley rippin' it up..hugely underrated album)
7.) Metric - Waves (sheer bliss)
8.) Chew Lips - Solo (Yazoo reincarnated...amazingly simple electropop)
9.) Editors - Papillon (wish the rest of the album was as powerful as this single, but I'll take it)
10.) The Limousines - Very Busy People (where did these guys come from? smart, sardonic lyrics make for the most 'press repeat' moments all year)

Runner Ups:

1.) The Kick - Freak (Reznor, eat your heart out...)
2.) Lily Allen - Not Fair (so catchy and clever, it's probably a sin)
3.) Red Light Company - The Architect
4.) White Lies - Farewell to the Fairground
5.) Muse - Unnatural Selection
Old 01-10-10, 08:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by House13 View Post
My favorite songs in no order:

Shadows Fall - Still I Rise

what a great album

Old 01-10-10, 10:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

My favorites of the 2009 in no particular order

Muse - MK Ultra
Animal Collective - Brother Sport
Neko Case - This Tornado Loves You
Metric - Help I'm Alive
La Roux - Bulletproof
Sondre Lerche - Words & Music
La Roux - In for the Kill
Franz Ferdinand - No You Girls
Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Heads Will Roll
Phoenix - 1901
Camera Obscura - French Navy
Old 01-12-10, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

1. The Gossip - 8th Wonder
2. Yeah Yeah Yeahs - Skeletons
3. Vivian Girls - When I'm Gone
Spoiler:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8RHDgFYxY4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/g8RHDgFYxY4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

4. Dum Dum Girls - Hey Sis
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/gW3mRVB3vuU&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/gW3mRVB3vuU&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

5. Best Coast - When I'm With You
6. Beirut - The Concubine
Spoiler:
<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/p51wuB30R7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/p51wuB30R7w&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

7. The Antlers - Two
8. The Mayfair Set - Let It Melt
9. White Denim - I Start To Run
Spoiler:
<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/VW26TBF1boo&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/VW26TBF1boo&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

10. The xx - Islands
Old 01-14-10, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Jay-Z featuring Alicia Keys - Empire State of Mind

and everything else
Old 01-29-10, 04:29 AM

The song I listened to the most in 2009 was probably Pissed Jeans' "False Jesii Part 2"; there's just something about that triumphantly idiotic chorus and the mocking verses that appealed to me tremendously.

Other favorites:

Future of the Left - "Arming Eritrea"
Cass McCombs - "You Saved My Life"
Attack in Black - "Birmingham"
Marked Men - "Red Light Rumors"
Polvo - "Beggar's Bowl"
A.C. Newman - "Like a Hitman, Like a Dancer"
Chuck Ragan - "For Goodness Sake"