Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

NPR's All Songs Considered Top 25 Songs of the Year

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

NPR's All Songs Considered Top 25 Songs of the Year

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: NPR's All Songs Considered Top 25 Songs of the Year

Originally Posted by Heat
if you like All Songs Considered, try Sound Opinions which is a podcast hosted by Jim DeRogatis and Greg Kot, the top music critics at the Chicago Sun-Times (Jim) and the Chicago Tribune (Greg).
Thanks. I checked them out today while working out, now I've got to look into Ida Maria. I liked what I heard there. I'm also giving St. Vincent and The Dead Weather (a listener's pick) another listen today because their podcast.
Old 12-15-09, 03:55 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
Funny post. Sure, you can say all that. Guess I find my favorite songs sort of along those lines, but I mainly just sit here on my ass in front of the computer listening to music. Well, sitting on my ass in my car as well. Never been to an Upper West Side wine/cheese party. I saw AC/DC, Pogues, St. Vincent and Airborne Toxic Event live this past year (forgot I went to more than two shows). I like a mixture of tunes, but still lean towards what NPR listed.
I'm with you too, if you look at my list of best songs and albums from the year, it would tie fairly closely to NPR's taste. As I said, I'm in no way saying that the list is an invalid list. I'm just just saying it was a very "comfortable" list for NPR to pick.
Old 12-15-09, 04:04 PM

Wait a minute, I'm confused. Who's this list for? People under 40 don't listen to NPR...

Old 12-15-09, 04:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
I guess I'm in the demographic for this list (I'm 22) but I don't listen to even half that stuff and I still don't understand why it's considered "hipster" music.

I also don't understand why it's considered a "laughably stereotypical white/upper-middle-class/liberal/urban/rock-snobby list" either.

White: Is that because there's no rap on the list? Maybe the NPR people don't like rap music? I bet there are a lot of people out there that aren't hipsters that don't like rap.

Upper-middle-class: I don't even understand this at all unless it's going back the race issue.

Liberal: I've noticed that a lot of creative people in the entertainment industry have a more liberal view on things. People not included on this list as well, so...

Urban: Huh? As in "in the city?" So... The more people, the more tastes.

Rock-snobby: By rock-snobby does that mean stuff that's not played on the radio? I don't see what's wrong with not listening to the radio. Most of the time the radio stations only cater to the newest of the new and the hittest of the hits. Even classic rock stations only play the hits of the '70s. I'm not a fan of the new metal stuff therefore I don't like the rock station we have. I'm not a fan of rap so I don't like that station either. And so on and so on...
Aw c'mon. You're all taking this too personally. All I'm saying is that if you were to ask me for a list of songs that a stereotypical NPR listener and/or NPR journalist might put on their best of the year list, what I'd come up with would be a list very close to what they provided. They're not going to throw a Behemoth or Lil' Wayne track on there, are they.

Again, search through my MP3 collection and you'll find pretty much every single song on this list. It's nothing personal and no comment on the quality of the music.
Old 12-15-09, 05:36 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Sessa17
Plus its just an age thing, I mean who calls someone a "hipster", that is something my grandfather would say. Also I think there is a big metal fandom on this board. I'm not angry so its just not my thing, but I think metal fans like to rag on music that isn't loud and screaming.
You have me pegged. I'm an over 40 metal/hard rock fan. But I wasn't ragging, just commenting.

Last edited by covenant; 12-15-09 at 05:38 PM.
Old 12-15-09, 10:50 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Now that I think about it, Bob Boilen, the host of All Songs Considered, is in his upper 40s or possibly lower 50s and I recognize several others here in our lower 40s.

Originally Posted by Tscott
Thanks. I checked them out today while working out...
Glad you liked them, fellow hipster. They are a weekly show, well worth a subscription on iTunes. Even if you don't have an iPod you should look at iTunes for for podcasts, they are downloaded into .mp3 format and they manage / organize them quite well.
Old 12-15-09, 11:55 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Hiro11
Aw c'mon. You're all taking this too personally. All I'm saying is that if you were to ask me for a list of songs that a stereotypical NPR listener and/or NPR journalist might put on their best of the year list, what I'd come up with would be a list very close to what they provided. They're not going to throw a Behemoth or Lil' Wayne track on there, are they.

Again, search through my MP3 collection and you'll find pretty much every single song on this list. It's nothing personal and no comment on the quality of the music.
Sorry that post was made hastily as I left my house this morning. I'm just confused why it has to be labeled but I guess if you think about it you can always find a label for every bit of music out there. Maybe I'm looking too much into it.
Old 12-16-09, 12:49 AM

Originally Posted by Heat
Now that I think about it, Bob Boilen, the host of All Songs Considered, is in his upper 40s or possibly lower 50s and I recognize several others here in our lower 40s.

Glad you liked them, fellow hipster. They are a weekly show, well worth a subscription on iTunes. Even if you don't have an iPod you should look at iTunes for for podcasts, they are downloaded into .mp3 format and they manage / organize them quite well.
You don't need to explain itunes to me... what, do you think I'm over 40?
Old 12-16-09, 02:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by atlantamoi
While I do wish radio was much better, you make a good point. I never had to get tired of Gnarls Barkley "Crazy" because I didn't hear it beyond my own listening environment. Wouldn't argue with Rolling Stone naming it the best song of the decade.

I know that I do sort of bristle a little bit with people calling us 40+ year olds out for not caring about new music. Not true for me, but I certainly know a lot of people my age who wouldn't have a clue about Dirty Projectors. Hmmm, come to think of it, that might be true for many of my co-workers in their 20's.
Couldn't have said it better, myself. I'll be 44 in less than a month, and I own almost half the albums on that list, and am at least familiar with the other half. The ones I don't own, I just don't care for personally. Doesn't mean they aren't good, just not my tastes.

I will cut Sessa17 some slack, however, as even though I don't know our exact age differences, and I don't necessarily always like or know some of the bands he mentions, many times we have fairly similar tastes. (Gaslight Anthem comes to mind) Because of this, I'm always willing to give a band he recommends a listen, even if it does turn out to be something I don't end up caring for.

Last edited by Rocketdog2000; 12-16-09 at 02:56 AM.
Old 12-16-09, 03:15 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

"Daniel" is perhaps my favourite song of '09 along with "I'm All Alone" by Calvin Harris and "Rabbit Heart" by Florence & The Machine.
Have I all those names right? I dig the music...
Old 12-16-09, 01:39 PM

Received 60 Likes on 37 Posts

A much more respectable list than the other stuff I have seen. Some I don't agree with but nice to see good music getting an appreciation.
Old 12-16-09, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think these were some brave musical choices. I would have liked to see The Refrigerator Magnets and White Shoe Timbuktu get some mention as well.
Old 12-16-09, 04:00 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DonnachaOne
"Daniel" is perhaps my favourite song of '09 along with "I'm All Alone" by Calvin Harris and "Rabbit Heart" by Florence & The Machine.
Have I all those names right? I dig the music...
All really good stuff. "Dog Days Are Gone" is my favorite song of the Florence + The Machine album.
Old 12-16-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I know I've said it before, but I'll say it again, you're a good man, Sessa.
Old 12-16-09, 09:04 PM

I'm 38 and have heard every album on the NPR list and own over half of them. I think it does require a bit of time and effort to keep up with new music but it's certainly worth it. Most of the people I went to high school with are still listening to Bon Jovi and whatever was at the top of the charts back then. If they listen to new music it's usually mainstream "country" or pop/rock. Of course, even in the 80s my tastes were completely different from most everyone else I knew.

I do take mild, very mild, exception to what Sessa17 said regarding metal listeners not liking this music. I've been a fan of metal since my teens and I'm far from angry . He is probably right in that most metalheads tend to be dismissive of less visceral forms of music but some of us just love good music. You can be both metal and hipster.

By the way, of all the music on that Top 25 I just can't get enough of Bat for Lashes. I am absolutely in love with her music. Two Suns is probably my favorite album of the year and I also love her debut.
Old 12-16-09, 10:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

How Pitchfork is that. Come on, they couldn't find a place for Poker Face? Not that I'm a big fan of hers or anything but that song will be remembered in ten years as *the* song of 2009, a song that even South Park had to recognize. It's like these people want to keep cred so they won't possibly name stuff that actually made charts because they don't want look uncool to Joe Snob who thinks all cd's that sell over 500 copies is soulless commercial garbage.
Old 12-16-09, 11:28 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
How Pitchfork is that. Come on, they couldn't find a place for Poker Face?
Actually, two Lady Gaga songs made Pitchfork's end of the year song list - "Bad Romance" and "Paparazzi". They would probably consider "Poker Face" to be from 2008, but an NPR poll wouldn't have any rules like that.

I'm a "hipster" (I've heard of all but one song on that NPR list) and I will readily admit that I like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, etc, but I know a lot won't.
Old 12-17-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Aegean2007
Actually, two Lady Gaga songs made Pitchfork's end of the year song list - "Bad Romance" and "Paparazzi". They would probably consider "Poker Face" to be from 2008, but an NPR poll wouldn't have any rules like that.

I'm a "hipster" (I've heard of all but one song on that NPR list) and I will readily admit that I like Lady Gaga, Beyonce, etc, but I know a lot won't.
yea, reminds me of senior year in high school (98-99) and I remember the student newspaper came up with the ten best albums of 1998, and nowhere on the list were The Miseducation Of Lauryn Hill, Madonna's Ray Of Light or Garbage's Version 2.0.... three albums that ended up getting nominated for Grammys that year and still universally regarded as albums that defined that year, but the people who did the music section were too "cool" to list albums that sold over 10,000 copies that year to acknowledge albums that have come to define 1998 in retrospect.
Old 12-17-09, 07:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by nothingfails
How Pitchfork is that. Come on, they couldn't find a place for Poker Face? Not that I'm a big fan of hers or anything but that song will be remembered in ten years as *the* song of 2009, a song that even South Park had to recognize. It's like these people want to keep cred so they won't possibly name stuff that actually made charts because they don't want look uncool to Joe Snob who thinks all cd's that sell over 500 copies is soulless commercial garbage.
"Make Her Say" was a better song.