Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights [limited edition] - 3/16/10

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights [limited edition] - 3/16/10

Old 12-10-09, 08:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

from pitchfork:

White Stripes to Release Live Box Set
2007 Canadian tour immortalized in several formats. White Stripes to Release Live Box Set

We first reported on the White Stripes live film Under Great White Northern Lights back in April, and since then the movie-- which chronicles the duo's crazy 2007 tour of every province and territory in Canada-- premiered at the Toronto International Film Festival. And now the rest of us will get a chance to see the film when it finally comes out as part of an extravagant (and seriously awesome-sounding) box set March 16.

The Under Great White Northern Lights limited edition box set includes (deep breath) a DVD of the film itself, a DVD of White Stripes 10th anniversary show (dubbed The White Stripes Under Nova Scotian Lights), a 16-track White Stripes live album recorded during the Canadian trek on both 180 gram vinyl and CD, a live 7" (featuring "Icky Thump" and "The Wheels on the Bus"), a 208-page book with photos from the tour by Autumn de Wilde (and a foreword by Jim Jarmusch), and a silk screen print.

The Northern Lights DVD, live album, and book will also be sold separately, with the DVD and live album out March 16 and the book released in April. The 10th anniversary show DVD, live 7", and screen print will all be exclusive to the box set.

You can pre-order the box at the Stripes' website starting tomorrow. Those who reserve the set before January 1 will get three live MP3s ("Hotel Yorba", "Hello Operator", and "A Martyr for My Love for You") and a holiday card.

--------------------

I'm in for this although I hope it's not too pricey. Sounds great though.
Old 12-10-09, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Re: The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights [limited edition] - 3/16/10

No Blu-Ray?
Old 12-11-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: The White Stripes: Under Great White Northern Lights [limited edition] - 3/16/10

Very cool....but I would rather have a new album. I'll definitely pick up the DVD.
Old 12-11-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Preorder is live. $179 US plus shipping if you order before Jan 1.

Ordered, but it's going to be a long wait till March.
Old 12-11-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff View Post
Preorder is live. $179 US plus shipping if you order before Jan 1.

Ordered, but it's going to be a long wait till March.
Too rich for my blood, but I'm in for the live DVD and CD if they're sold at a reasonable price.
Old 12-11-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I couldn't resist. The Stripes are like one of 5 bands where I spare no expense. I do wish one of the DVDs was blu-ray though.
Old 12-11-09, 09:51 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Too expensive but it looks great.
Old 12-12-09, 01:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Very cool but too expensive for me. I'll pick up the regular cd and dvd releases though.
Old 02-28-10, 07:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tracklist:

1. Let's Shake Hands [Live]
2. Black Math [Live]
3. Little Ghost [Live]
4. Blue Orchid [Live]
5. The Union Forever [Live]
6. Ball And Biscuit [Live]
7. Icky Thump [Live]
8. I'm Slowly Turning Into You [Live]
9. Jolene [Live]
10. 300 M.P.H. Torrential Outpour Blues [Live]
11. We Are Going To Be Friends [Live]
12. I Just Don't Know What To Do With Myself [Live]
13. Prickly Thorn, But Sweetly Worn [Live]
14. Fell In Love With A Girl [Live]
15. When I Hear My Name [Live]
16. Seven Nation Army [Live]

Last edited by auto; 03-01-10 at 08:43 AM.
Old 02-28-10, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
No Blu-Ray?
Yeah!
Old 02-28-10, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

and the box isn't going to include that? they should fix that for those forking over the money.

the three songs from the preorder sound great.
Old 03-01-10, 08:44 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, you're right about that. I'm happy enough buying the CD and Blu separately so it doesn't bother me.
Old 03-01-10, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As much as I would have liked them to offer a blu-ray limited box, I guess I can understand the logistics behind not producing that option. That said, I need this on blu-ray, so I preordered from Amazon for $16. No complaints, especially since I ordered the limited box early enough to get it at $179.
Old 03-01-10, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff View Post
As much as I would have liked them to offer a blu-ray limited box, I guess I can understand the logistics behind not producing that option. That said, I need this on blu-ray, so I preordered from Amazon for $16. No complaints, especially since I ordered the limited box early enough to get it at $179.
Geezus, I thought I liked the White Stripes.
Old 03-17-10, 02:32 AM

Anyone get theirs yet? I just got my boxset today, and am VERY IMPRESSED with the end result. It was a suprise to get it today since I didnt get a shipping notification until a few hours after I had it in my possession.

The box lists it as a limited edition of 1,750, so I'm glad to see that's its limited. Fans will be pleased as it was VERY protected during shipping, as it was the boxset inside a box, within yet another larger box.
The 208 page photo book is very cool, bound in hardcover. I got the silk print of the one with Meg and Jack on the boat in the distance.

If you're a die hard White Stripes fan, this boxset is simply a must own. I'll post pics tomorrow, and will try to answer any questions. What got me interested in the boxset in the first place was the exclusive full concert in Glace Bay, Novia Scotia. I already own the Blackpool lights dvd, so to have another full concert in dvd makes me a very happy fan.
Old 03-17-10, 08:46 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got mine yesterday (along w/the blu-ray from Amazon), but haven't had the chance to watch the movie or the Glace Bay show at all yet. It's a great set and definitely worth the money.
Old 03-17-10, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My BD and CD should be here in the next day or two .
Old 03-17-10, 10:42 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

For those that purchased the blu-ray, I am interested to hear what you think about it.

I stood in Best Buy debating on whether to get the blu-ray or the BB exclusive cd/dvd set and decided to hold off until I got some feedback from others.
Old 03-17-10, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I'm not real impressed with the Blu, but knew going in that this wasn't going to be a reference quality film. The best thing going for it is probably the DTS HD-Master audio.

There's no extras whatsoever & not even a chapter listing. But that's probably true for the DVD as well.

Still, not a bad buy for $19.99 but I don't know that I wouldn't have bought the DVD/CD combo instead for 5 bucks less had I known about it.
Old 03-21-10, 06:42 AM
Def

Give us a new album!