DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Weekly album sales (12/2 - 12/8) : Buh bye Lambert! (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/566121-weekly-album-sales-12-2-12-8-buh-bye-lambert.html)

Daytripper 12-08-09 05:49 PM

Weekly album sales (12/2 - 12/8) : Buh bye Lambert!

Adam's album sales dropped 74% and his debut album dropped from #3 to #21 in it's second week. With sales of 50,648. Susan Boyle continues to break records. Holding at number #1 with sales of 509,610. This means the album has gone platinum in one week. Here are the rest of this week's best selling albums according to HITS Daily Double:

LW TW artist / album label power index % change
1 1 SUSAN BOYLE COLUMBIA 509,610 -24% I DREAMED A DREAM
2 2 ANDREA BOCELLI DECCA 437,435 +103% MY CHRISTMAS
8 3 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 129,825 +6% FEARLESS
-- 4 R. KELLY JIVE/JLG 115,923 -- UNTITLED
13 5 CASTING CROWNS PROVIDENT/REUNION 79,711 -10% PEACE ON EARTH
11 6 NORAH JONES BLUE NOTE 79,117 -25% THE FALL
7 7 LADY GAGA INTERSCOPE 78,891 -45% FAME
20 8 MICHAEL BUBLE REPRISE 77,634 +30% CRAZY LOVE
9 9 CARRIE UNDERWOOD 19/ARISTA NASHVILLE 75,679 -34% PLAY ON
17 10 NOW THAT'S WHAT I CALL MUSIC SONY MUSIC 69,929 -5% NOW 32
10 11 MICHAEL JACKSON EPIC 66,306 -37% THIS IS IT
16 12 JUSTIN BIEBER ISLAND/IDJMG 64,898 -21% MY WORLD
26 13 JOSH GROBAN REPRISE 63,678 +52% NOEL
12 14 TWILIGHT SAGA: NEW MOON CHOP SHOP/ATLANTIC 63,208 -38% SOUNDTRACK
4 15 LADY GAGA INTERSCOPE 60,333 -67% FAME MONSTER (EP)
28 16 STING DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 57,282 +48% IF ON A WINTER'S NIGHT
14 17 JOHN MAYER COLUMBIA 54,321 -36% BATTLE STUDIES
5 18 RIHANNA DEF JAM/IDJ 53,544 -70% RATED R
19 19 TAYLOR SWIFT BIG MACHINE 52,687 -15% HOLIDAY COLLECTION
6 20 MILEY CYRUS HOLLYWOOD 51,642 -66% TIME OF OUR LIVES
3 21 ADAM LAMBERT 19/RCA/RMG 50,648 -74% FOR YOUR ENTERTAINMENT
23 22 BLACK EYED PEAS INTERSCOPE 50,520 -6% E.N.D. (ENERGY NEVER DIES)
18 23 GLEE CAST COLUMBIA 43,442 -34% GLEE, VOL. 1
34 24 SUGARLAND MERCURY NASHVILLE 43,310 +35% GOLD & GREEN
38 25 TRANS-SIBERIAN ORCHESTRA LAVA/ATLANTIC 41,124 +40% NIGHT CASTLE

Hokeyboy 12-08-09 06:33 PM

Re: Weekly album sales (12/2 - 12/8) : Buh bye Lambert!

Counting down until his PR machine brands this as "homophobia" in 3..2... ooh some gum.. 1...

Daytripper 12-08-09 08:04 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy (Post 9879043)
Counting down until his PR machine brands this as "homophobia" in 3..2... ooh some gum.. 1...

Ha ha! So true. But in truth, almost all of the A.I. runner up contestants, even winners, suffer a huge drop off after the first week. Because mostly the people who watched the show and voted buy the album the first week. But a good album will stick around due to positive word of mouth.

big whoppa 12-08-09 09:03 PM

He'll have Idol next month and the months to follow to plug that album. I'm happy about the general waning interest (except Carrie Underwood) in the albums by the Idol contestants.

Daytripper 12-08-09 10:39 PM

Originally Posted by big whoppa (Post 9879275)
He'll have Idol next month and the months to follow to plug that album. I'm happy about the general waning interest (except Carrie Underwood) in the albums by the Idol contestants.

At this point I think only Underwood, Clarkson and Chris Daughtry will have successful careers for awhile. With maybe Underwood having the most success. Still, Clarkson's voice is miles better.

nothingfails 12-08-09 11:21 PM

So? Rihanna dropped hard too and I think more people were expecting her album to do well than Adam's, especially since Rihanna's been second to Beyonce in terms of being a hitmaker the past few years.

Why single Adam out? He's still kicked Kris Allen's ass.

Rypro 525 12-09-09 12:06 AM

glad to see the Glee soundtrack still selling reletivly well since its been out about a month already

Daytripper 12-09-09 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9879485)
So? Rihanna dropped hard too and I think more people were expecting her album to do well than Adam's, especially since Rihanna's been second to Beyonce in terms of being a hitmaker the past few years.

Why single Adam out? He's still kicked Kris Allen's ass.

So!?? I singled Adam out because of the media blitz before and after the release. I didn't even know Rihanna had an album out until I saw it on the charts. Of all the Top 25 albums, Adam still had the biggest drop. And who cares if he kicks Kris Allen's ass or not. I don't like him either. Still has the better voice of the two though.

Howiefan 12-09-09 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9880146)
So!?? I singled Adam out because of the media blitz before and after the release. I didn't even know Rihanna had an album out until I saw it on the charts. Of all the Top 25 albums, Adam still had the biggest drop. And who cares if he kicks Kris Allen's ass or not. I don't like him either. Still has the better voice of the two though.

And because you have an obsession with hating him. ;)

nothingfails 12-09-09 03:17 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9880146)

And Rihanna did not have a media blitz? That 20/20 interview where she talked about the Chris Brown incident was just as newsworthy. And unlike Adam, she has a track record behind her. Nobody knew what Adam would do as it's his debut, Rihanna just came off an album that had three #1 hits and several other top 10 singles. I think her stakes were higher than Adam's, so why isn't there a mention that her album fell 70% in it's second week?

No, you've just made this another "I hate Adam Lambert" thread. At least report with objectivity, you make it sound like Adam was the only album that decreased from last week when Rihanna and Gaga both fell with similar percentage drops.

Daytripper 12-09-09 04:51 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9880576)
And Rihanna did not have a media blitz? That 20/20 interview where she talked about the Chris Brown incident was just as newsworthy. And unlike Adam, she has a track record behind her. Nobody knew what Adam would do as it's his debut, Rihanna just came off an album that had three #1 hits and several other top 10 singles. I think her stakes were higher than Adam's, so why isn't there a mention that her album fell 70% in it's second week?

No, you've just made this another "I hate Adam Lambert" thread. At least report with objectivity, you make it sound like Adam was the only album that decreased from last week when Rihanna and Gaga both fell with similar percentage drops.

I told you that *I* didn't even know Rihanna had an album coming out. An interview on 20/20 (which I didn't see) is hardly a media blitz. There were articles and early sales reports about Adam left and right. Then there was the AMA's which caused more articles and stories. Then the buzz about his number #3 album debut. This is not another "I hate Adam Lambert" thread, stop being so dramatic. I posted the top 25 selling albums of the week. Pointing out that Lambert had the biggest drop. Sorry you're so sensitive that's anything anti-Adam Lambert. And if you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads to go read.

Hokeyboy 12-09-09 06:27 PM

Wow... people are *REAL* touchy when it comes to this Lambert bozo. :lol:

nothingfails 12-09-09 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9880724)
I told you that *I* didn't even know Rihanna had an album coming out. An interview on 20/20 (which I didn't see) is hardly a media blitz. There were articles and early sales reports about Adam left and right. Then there was the AMA's which caused more articles and stories. Then the buzz about his number #3 album debut. This is not another "I hate Adam Lambert" thread, stop being so dramatic. I posted the top 25 selling albums of the week. Pointing out that Lambert had the biggest drop. Sorry you're so sensitive that's anything anti-Adam Lambert. And if you don't like it, there are plenty of other threads to go read.

I don't even like Adam Lambert!!! I heard his album and didn't even care for one song!!! I just wish people would stop picking on him for being so over-the-top and flamboyant, since we all know if Justin Timberlake or Britney or someone had done the exact same performance he did on the AMA's, nobody would be morally outraged about him and canceling his performances left and right. Just because I hate the double standard media gives Adam because he's gay doesn't make me a fan of his music. Gay people don't just automatically love every openly gay artist out there. I see more straight women out there who like Adam than actual gay men. It's like assuming that all straight men like Kid Rock.

If this is a thread about the top 25 sales, let's talk about all 25 artists, not just a thread to rub in about how Adam Lambert is a failure. Rihanna and Shakira (whose album isn't even in the top 25 in week two) are losing more money for the labels than Adam for sure.

Daytripper 12-09-09 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9880962)
I don't even like Adam Lambert!!! I heard his album and didn't even care for one song!!! I just wish people would stop picking on him for being so over-the-top and flamboyant, since we all know if Justin Timberlake or Britney or someone had done the exact same performance he did on the AMA's, nobody would be morally outraged about him and canceling his performances left and right. Just because I hate the double standard media gives Adam because he's gay doesn't make me a fan of his music. Gay people don't just automatically love every openly gay artist out there. I see more straight women out there who like Adam than actual gay men. It's like assuming that all straight men like Kid Rock.

If this is a thread about the top 25 sales, let's talk about all 25 artists, not just a thread to rub in about how Adam Lambert is a failure. Rihanna and Shakira (whose album isn't even in the top 25 in week two) are losing more money for the labels than Adam for sure.

IF this thread is about the top 25 sales!? Jesus. That's what this thread is. With one snide remark towards Lambert (in the subject line) and pointed out his decline in sales this week (in the post). I also talked about Susan Boyle. Which you conveniently continue to ignore. As far as the anti gay angle or accusation. Hokieboy....you were so right. Guess I can't hate Lambert just because I think he's talentless. That makes me automatically anti-gay.

The Cow 12-09-09 08:11 PM

Pretty sure this thread needs to end with Daytripper and nothingfails kissing to make-up. :grouphug:

nothingfails 12-09-09 08:22 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9880983)
IF this thread is about the top 25 sales!? Jesus. That's what this thread is. With one snide remark towards Lambert (in the subject line) and pointed out his decline in sales this week (in the post). I also talked about Susan Boyle. Which you conveniently continue to ignore. As far as the anti gay angle or accusation. Hokieboy....you were so right. Guess I can't hate Lambert just because I think he's talentless. That makes me automatically anti-gay.

Maybe you don't like Adam because you think he's talentless, but you seriously don't see the double standard between him and Justin Timberlake? If Justin did the exact same performance Adam did with women, people wouldn't have even talked about it after it happened. A lot of gay people defend Adam, doesn't mean we like his music. I hate all things associated with Karaoke Idol, I just think the media has proven what a double standard they have with straight and gay entertainers with the way Adam did a performance no more shocking or vulgar than what Gaga, Rihanna and Janet were doing at the same awards show.

Once again, i think Adam Lambert's music is garbage, I just feel sorry for the way the media crucified the gay for a performance that Justin Timberlake or Usher would've gotten away without problem. He isn't even in my top 10,000 artists of all time, why do you think I'm a fan just because I think he should have the same treatment a straight male entertainer would.

nothingfails 12-09-09 08:27 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9880983)
Guess I can't hate Lambert just because I think he's talentless. That makes me automatically anti-gay.

You take offense for being called anti-gay... I take offense for being called an Adam Lambert fan. Which is worse? Nobody who takes music seriously actually likes anyone from Karaoke Idol IMO.

Daytripper 12-09-09 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9881018)
You take offense for being called anti-gay... I take offense for being called an Adam Lambert fan. Which is worse? Nobody who takes music seriously actually likes anyone from Karaoke Idol IMO.

Show me where I called you an Adam Lambert fan. Please.

Lateralus 12-09-09 09:14 PM

This is going to get good.

-popcorn-

nothingfails 12-09-09 09:15 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9881041)
Show me where I called you an Adam Lambert fan. Please.

"Then the buzz about his number #3 album debut. This is not another "I hate Adam Lambert" thread, stop being so dramatic. I posted the top 25 selling albums of the week. Pointing out that Lambert had the biggest drop. Sorry you're so sensitive that's anything anti-Adam Lambert."

That sounds like the ultimate "you love Adam Lambert" post. I just can't believe you in this thread, you know me from the PSB and Depeche Mode threads, why would anyone who loves those two music icons want to listen to some Karaoke Idol reject who looks like Liza Minnelli? Adam compares himself to Bowie or Freddie but IMO he isn't even fit to clean up after Bowie's dog. If the media didn't keep attacking Lambert for things that Justin or Usher would get away with, I would have no opinion about him whatever, but I just hate the media's double standard with talking about how filthy his performance on the AMA's was and having him get appearances cancelled as a result while I've seen Justin do similar things on awards shows with no consequence. I still think he is going to go the way of Taylor Hicks and Ruben Studdard once the novelty wears off and will be a Trivial Pursuit question in five years.

Lateralus 12-09-09 09:15 PM

But I'll tell you what there is not a single album on there that I would even consider buying!

Daytripper 12-09-09 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9881083)
"Then the buzz about his number #3 album debut. This is not another "I hate Adam Lambert" thread, stop being so dramatic. I posted the top 25 selling albums of the week. Pointing out that Lambert had the biggest drop. Sorry you're so sensitive that's anything anti-Adam Lambert."

That sounds like the ultimate "you love Adam Lambert" post.

Oh for fuck sake nothingfails. Your posts here continue to astound me. Now you're reading between the lines and dissecting ever single word I've said. Incorrectly I might add. If you hate Adam Lambert so much, clearly as much as I do, then why the hell are you even here? Because NONE of this has anything to do with his performance on the AMA's, but his declining album sales.

And yes, I discussed his performance on the AMA's in another thread. Again, nothing to do with him being gay and what he did. But how horrible he and the song were.

Now....can we please drop this shit?

cungar 12-10-09 08:34 AM

nothingfails is investing waytoo much in this thread for a "non-fan"

Hokeyboy 12-10-09 10:02 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails (Post 9881083)
If the media didn't keep attacking Lambert for things that Justin or Usher would get away with, I would have no opinion about him whatever, but I just hate the media's double standard with talking about how filthy his performance on the AMA's was and having him get appearances cancelled as a result while I've seen Justin do similar things on awards shows with no consequence.

I keep hearing about the "double standard". That "other performers" could get away with what Lambert did. If Justin Tinkerbell started griding another guy's head in his crotch and made out with his male keyboard player, the "outrage" would be just as severe.

And remember the "outrage" that occurred when Madonna kissed Britney (and Christina, which no one ever saw)? No appearances were cancelled, except for the O'Reillys/Hannitys/Limbaughs/wm Lopez's of the world who lost their fucking minds in a whirldwind of moral outrage. Of course, most real men didn't care.

Two chicks kissing? No problem. Two dudes? Nasty. That's America right now. Of course there's a double-standard when it comes to male homosexualilty or homo-erotic acts in mainstream media. That's just the reality of the time in which we're living. Imagine a performance on television 50 years ago in which a black guy was grinding on a white girl. The "outrage" would make Adam Lambert look lik. Just a reflection of the times. Doesn't make it right, but what are you going to do?

(Although the "outrage" over the allegedly hetero Tinkerbell ripping Janet's boob off was thousands of times worse than this...)

Lambert should have fucking known better. He has every right to be out and proud and unapologetic, but if you're gonna start acting like a gyrating buffoon during a prime-time, big-audience live broadcast, you're going to get hammered down for it. It labels him as "unpredictable", which means any show that books him has now got to worry that's he's going to do something off-script, perform something that wasn't rehearsed, or act out in other ways that wasn't agreed upon before the performance.

Lest you forget, a week or two after the Superbowl Wardrobe Incident, Tinkerbell had to apologize like a whiny little bitch on national television to appease his outraged network overlords.

And in conclusion, he blows, his song blows, his screechy-prissy singing blows, and he ain't even all that hot.

cdollaz 12-10-09 12:32 PM

Even if he wasn't gay, he'd still be a douche, and most people would still hate him.