Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How will this decade be remembered music wise?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

How will this decade be remembered music wise?

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-09, 03:29 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: How will this decade be remembered music wise?

I just heard on FOXNEWS that EMINEM sold the most music this decade.
Old 12-09-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

RE: Radiohead

At least in America, they were a buzz band in the 90's, it wasn't until this decade where they reaped the commercial rewards that they planted in the 90's. I'd consider it similar to R.E.M.'s Warner years after the IRS years. Those IRS albums were the ones that really built the fanbase and made them a critical darling, and the Warner years (well technically the end of IRS as well since "Document" was when they crossed over) were where they finally were able to see the true commercial reapings. Is Monster regarded as a better album than Murmur or Reckoning? Not by many, but yet it sold more and charted better because R.E.M. was a brand name by 1994 while a decade earlier they were a rising cult band. Same goes with Radiohead in the 2000's vs. Radiohead in the 1990's.
Old 12-10-09, 02:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I seem to recall Radiohead's "OK Computer" getting quite a bit of attention when it was released...it was hard to get away from "Paranoid Android".

This decade, I think they turned into one of those bands that a lot of people listen to "because its cool" and not because they actually like the group (no offense implied).
Old 12-10-09, 07:30 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by wm lopez
I just heard on FOXNEWS that EMINEM sold the most music this decade.
As I said earlier, since a large population of the music consuming public pirates stuff these days, it's probably really hard to determine what people are actually listening to.
Old 12-10-09, 07:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by nightwing82
Probably: iPods, iTunes, Britney Spears, American Idol
iPods and iTunes are great for music, but the other two...not so much.
Old 12-11-09, 06:27 PM
Banned

People over 40 are listening to music before 1990's.
Old 12-11-09, 10:38 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

???? I'm over 40, and I listen to plenty of music from both before and after the 1990's. Since I obviously grew up listening to music from the 60's, 70's, 80's 90's and now (as well as being exposed to songs from the 50's and before), your comment makes absolutely no sense to me whatsoever. So your point was what again exactly?
Old 12-11-09, 10:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Released more albums? Ok one more album than the prior decade, so technically, yes. More popular? I'd say just as, not more so. Output better, though? There I'm going to have to differ, as that's completely debatable. With the exception of In Rainbows, there's no album they've released this decade, on the whole, that is better than The Bends or OK Computer in my book. I only like about half of Kid A, about the same of Amnesiacand even less of Hail To The Thief. Even then, though, it still doesn't give enough justification to label them more of an '00 band than a 90's one.

Anyway, to me, whatever decade the band got their start and made their mark in fame wise first - which again in this case with Radiohead is still the 90's - is the one they ultimately belong to.

Oasis put out more albums this decade than the last, yet that doesn't make than an '00 band. R.E.M. released almost as many albums in the 90's as they did the 80's - but do you see them being referred to as a 90's band. Do you consider Aerosmith a 70's, 80's or 90's band? Even though they certainly had just as many hits in the 80's/90's (and were perhaps, even more popular) than they did in the 70's, to me I'll always associate them with the 70's, first.

Doesn't mean that a band can't move beyond just one decade for popularity, but still, the association will always be with their debut one.
Do you consider Yes to be a 60's band? Led Zeppelin? David Bowie?
Old 12-12-09, 01:12 AM

For Rock & Roll fans this decade will be forever remembered as "The Return". Quite a few popular rock bands of years past that were left in the dust (so to speak) of the 1990's returned to huge prominence.

U2 - Spent a large portion of the 1990's playing to half full stadiums releasing experimental music that left everybody including their hardcore audience wondering what had happened to the band once dubbed "the biggest band in the world" released their first true "rock" album in over a decade in October of 2000 with "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and reclaimed their title of "biggest band in the world" and has kept that title ever since

Bruce Springsteen - Spent the 1990's as a solo artist releasing music that, while critically received did not spark his audience like he once did. Bruce then reunited the E. Street Band in 2000 and enjoyed his biggest success since Born in the USA.

Green Day - Enjoyed a huge success in the early 90's, riding the wave of the new-punk movement. However a switch in musical direction killed their core audience. A new audience emerges when American Idiot is released in 2002 and Green Day may now be the most important American band today

AC/DC - They've always rocked but with the release of Black Ice in 2008 became big with a new generation of hard rock fans

The Beatles - Like AC/DC has always had a huge following but Beatlemania returned with a bang in 2009 and proves to the newer generation of music listeners even though most of the songs are 40 years old it's still better than whatever shitty pop band is playing on the Today Show.
Old 12-12-09, 01:29 AM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by El Talon Del Monstruo
For Rock & Roll fans this decade will be forever remembered as "The Return". Quite a few popular rock bands of years past that were left in the dust (so to speak) of the 1990's returned to huge prominence.

U2 - Spent a large portion of the 1990's playing to half full stadiums releasing experimental music that left everybody including their hardcore audience wondering what had happened to the band once dubbed "the biggest band in the world" released their first true "rock" album in over a decade in October of 2000 with "All That You Can't Leave Behind" and reclaimed their title of "biggest band in the world" and has kept that title ever since
And made a ton of shit music doing so. Achtung Baby and Zooropa are two of their best albums. The only U2 album of the 00's I like is No Line On The Horizon, specifically because it's less like a band trying to be "the biggest band in the world." "Beautiful Day" from ATYCLB is great, but the rest of the album is forgettable, and Atomic Bomb is laughably bad music that U2 should be ashamed they put their name on.

AC/DC - They've always rocked but with the release of Black Ice in 2008 became big with a new generation of hard rock fans
I think AC/DC has remained popular. I don't see Black Ice as some kind of huge return the way The Razor's Edge was back at the beginning of the 90's.

The Beatles - Like AC/DC has always had a huge following but Beatlemania returned with a bang in 2009 and proves to the newer generation of music listeners even though most of the songs are 40 years old it's still better than whatever shitty pop band is playing on the Today Show.
The Beatles have always been hugely popular. Just look at the response to the Beatles Anthology a decade and a half ago.
Old 12-12-09, 02:37 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

What are you trying to say? It makes no sense.
Old 12-12-09, 06:46 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yep . . . and after as well.
Old 12-12-09, 11:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by orangecrush
I think this decade will be more remembered as the death of wide-spread common musical experiences than for any one type of music. Individual acts and songs reach a much smaller audiences today than in the past. No one will be as big as the “classic” acts of yore. That is the major change IMO.
This is pretty much exactly how I feel about the decade. There aren't just a few all-reaching acts, and personally I couldn't be happier. There's more good music available out there than there ever has been before, if you use the right channels--and radio is not one of them.

I think we'll remember it also for the fact that the entire system of music distribution totally and irreversibly changed, to the benefit of music fans everywhere.
Old 12-13-09, 02:23 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 445 Likes on 312 Posts

Originally Posted by Achtung
There aren't just a few all-reaching acts, and personally I couldn't be happier. There's more good music available out there than there ever has been before, if you use the right channels--and radio is not one of them.
Yeah, and that's why I've been able to see all my favorite bands the last few years playing in smaller venues.
Old 12-13-09, 03:57 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
And made a ton of shit music doing so. Achtung Baby and Zooropa are two of their best albums. The only U2 album of the 00's I like is No Line On The Horizon, specifically because it's less like a band trying to be "the biggest band in the world." "Beautiful Day" from ATYCLB is great, but the rest of the album is forgettable, and Atomic Bomb is laughably bad music that U2 should be ashamed they put their name on.
Agreed wholeheartedly. ATYCLB and HTDAAB have their moments but both albums felt like the work of a group who is just doing what they know will appeal to the mainstream, which seems to go against the first 20 years of U2's career. I agree with you that NLOTH is by far their most interesting work this decade because it seems like U2 finally realizes they're now like The Stones where the name is going to keep drawing people in no matter what and they finally recorded something fresh and uncommercial again. Even though Pop wasn't exactly the finest moment of their career, that era and tour were more exciting than the two much more successful ones that followed. Sales and hits be damned.
Old 12-13-09, 04:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

And many of them are living in the now as well. When you stop living is when you start dying... it's not traitorous to your youth to enjoy new bands as you can still enjoy your old bands as well. I know many people over 40 who listen to groups like Muse and Kings Of Leon and the sort, while I know 35 year olds who won't listen to anything after Bush Sr.'s administration (actually I'll dare say Reagan in one guy I used to be friends with, he seems to hate everything after 1988-1989 because he feels like he's betraying his youth if he listens to something current).
Old 12-13-09, 07:06 AM
Banned

I know this is off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this question.
At the end of the 80's what band sold the most music?
I know U2 got a lot of praise, but I think it was Van Halen.
Old 12-13-09, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by nothingfails
And many of them are living in the now as well. When you stop living is when you start dying... it's not traitorous to your youth to enjoy new bands as you can still enjoy your old bands as well. I know many people over 40 who listen to groups like Muse and Kings Of Leon and the sort, while I know 35 year olds who won't listen to anything after Bush Sr.'s administration (actually I'll dare say Reagan in one guy I used to be friends with, he seems to hate everything after 1988-1989 because he feels like he's betraying his youth if he listens to something current).
Exactly. I'm always wanting to find and enjoy new music as much as they old stuff. To me, there's absolutely no reason why I can't enjoy all the older stuff that's come before, as well as what's coming out now. If I were to make a mix today, it wouldn't be surprising to see Spoon being followed by a Monkees track, the early Stones sitting next to Kings Of Leon, or Phoenix back to back with The Cars. If it moves you, it shouldn't matter when it was made.
Old 12-13-09, 01:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Agreed wholeheartedly. ATYCLB and HTDAAB have their moments but both albums felt like the work of a group who is just doing what they know will appeal to the mainstream, which seems to go against the first 20 years of U2's career. I agree with you that NLOTH is by far their most interesting work this decade because it seems like U2 finally realizes they're now like The Stones where the name is going to keep drawing people in no matter what and they finally recorded something fresh and uncommercial again. Even though Pop wasn't exactly the finest moment of their career, that era and tour were more exciting than the two much more successful ones that followed. Sales and hits be damned.
Did I write this? Word for word agree.

I'm 44 and have listened to nothing but music from 2009 the past month. Still very much interested and care about today.
Old 12-13-09, 02:06 PM

I agree with what most everyone else has said abot digital music and Ipods being the main story of the decade. Hell I know Myspace played a larger role at the begining of the decade so maybe that as well. Oh and Kanye's "I'm real happy and I'mma let you finish...". As far as artists go, I think some of the mainstream artists will be remembered for many decades to come. I think it's only natural that a few will be. It's a little different with heavy metal (and I'm sure some of the other nonmainstream material). I mean I know that I will hold certain bands in highest regards for the rest of my life, some of their music is just that good. Mainstream wise I could see bands like Muse, Radiohead and maybe even the Killers will be remembered even 20-30 years from now. Of course it's kind of exciting to think about what will stand the test of time. I mean I really love Pink Floyd and the Beatles and their music has held up so well, but all I can think about is my dad playing some of the less popular music from those eras and letting me discover some amazing music that wasn't as popular, but still holds up today.
Old 12-13-09, 03:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I know this is off topic, but I didn't want to start a new thread for this question.
maybe Def Leppard? They had two back-to-back 10 million plus sellers with Pyromania and Hysteria
Old 12-13-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 250 Likes on 176 Posts

Given all three have(or had) one of the top ten selling albums of all time, adding sales of other 80s albums:

Michael Jackson, Springsteen or ACDC.
Old 12-13-09, 05:46 PM
Banned by request

Michael Jackson was the male artist who sold the most albums, Madonna was the female.
Old 12-13-09, 06:48 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Michael Jackson was the male artist who sold the most albums, Madonna was the female.
I know those.
Group!, group!
I think it's Van Halen since all their albums were big hits in the 80's and U2 had only one monster hit album in the 80's. But I always hear about U2 as the 80's band.
Old 12-13-09, 11:49 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Here's a Timeline of the decade as seen by NPR radio

It's interesting as I look through it that it seems over half the stories aren't about certain artists or albums, but instead about Napter, Itunes, Youtube and other digital developments. Even stories about specific artists, like Fiona Apple, Wilco and Radiohead seem to be more about the internet than the music.

As others have said, this new digital age focus doesn't mean there's no good music- but, paradoxically, too much good music; so that there's no collective focus on one major area for the public like an MTV or an Ed Sullivan would give us in the past.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.