DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Paul McCartney- Good Evening NYC (2CD/1DVD Combo) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/565053-paul-mccartney-good-evening-nyc-2cd-1dvd-combo.html)

Jack Straw 11-19-09 01:45 PM

Paul McCartney- Good Evening NYC (2CD/1DVD Combo)

Yet another live concert release from McCartney and band documenting the legendary rocker's three-night christening of New York's Citi Field (where Shea Stadium once stood) in July 2009. There is a deluxe 4 disc edition available (which I didn't get) which includes an extra disc with footage from Macca's Letterman appearance at the Ed Sullivan Theater. I watched most of the DVD, and it is quite good. You would never know the guy is old enough to collect social security. The camera shots stay focused for the most part on the stage thankfully. The highlight for me was a live version of "Mrs. Vanderbilt" from his BotR days. There are a couple of tunes from the Firemen CD as well. The most irritating thing I noted was the video editor butchered "I'm Down" by cutting back and forth between this show's rendition and the Beatles performance at Shea in '65. Totally unnecessary, and beyond irritating! You can't really enjoy either performance. Fortunately, the CD does not suffer this indignity. The DVD comes with a DTS audio option. Amazon has this for $13.99. http://www.amazon.com/Good-Evening-Y...s_all_1#disc_1 Highly recommended!

1. Intro
2. Drive My Car
3. Jet
4. Only Mama Knows
5. Flaming Pie
6. Got To Get You Into My Life
7. Let Me Roll It
8. Highway
9. The Long And Winding Road
10. My Love
11. Blackbird
12. Here Today
13. Dance Tonight
14. Calico Skies
15. Mrs Vandebilt
16. Eleanor Rigby
17. Sing The Changes
18. Band On The Run
19. Back In The USSR
20. I'm Down
21. Something
22. I've Got A Feeling
23. Paperback Writer
24. A Day In The Life / Give Peace A Chance
25. Let It Be
26. Live And Let Die
27. Hey Jude
28. Day Tripper
29. Lady Madonna
30. I Saw Her Standing There
31. Yesterday
32. Helter Skelter
33. Get Back
34. Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band / The End

riotinmyskull 11-19-09 05:38 PM

Re: Paul McCartney- Good Evening NYC (2CD/1DVD Combo)

stay far away from this folks...paul's voice has been auto-tuned to hell and back.

SkullOrchard 11-19-09 05:45 PM

Paul's voice sounds really strange on this recording. It sounds like he has a really bad head cold and the vocals sound oddly processed. I've listened to a lot of McCartney live audio, both commercially released recordings and bootlegs, and I've never heard him sound like this.

chuckd21 11-19-09 05:47 PM

What? Why would they do that?

riotinmyskull 11-19-09 05:56 PM

Originally Posted by chuckd21 (Post 9845216)
What? Why would they do that?

i haven't the slightest clue...i was really looking forward to this release too. i saw paul less than 2 weeks after this was recorded and was glad i would be able to get a decent recording of pretty much the same set list from the same tour but it sounds horrible.

Jack Straw 11-19-09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9845203)
stay far away from this folks...paul's voice has been auto-tuned to hell and back.

And your proof to back up this accusation is what?

The Cow 11-19-09 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by Jack Straw (Post 9845496)
And your proof to back up this accusation is what?

have you listened to it?

Jack Straw 11-19-09 10:07 PM

As noted in my OP, yes. I watched the DVD and listened to the CDs. Be careful about stating something as fact based only on speculation.

AnonomusBob15 11-20-09 10:26 AM

not sure what auto-tunned is, but its not that great of a release. Sounds like it was ripped from some TV speakers.

Decker 11-20-09 10:39 AM

Official videos from You Tube to decide for yourself:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzsRbM3BMT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bzsRbM3BMT4&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEbLf-8n2XQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/kEbLf-8n2XQ&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFWCAX9LKqc&hl=en_US&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/rFWCAX9LKqc&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

riotinmyskull 11-20-09 11:07 AM

^ i rest my case.

Geoffy 11-20-09 07:54 PM

Just listened to all 3 vids.....I must be missing something.

What exactly is the issue? It just sounded like Paul to me,slightly strained here and there but pitch was pretty dead on.....

riotinmyskull 11-20-09 08:32 PM

i feel sorry for people who CAN'T hear it.

listen to 'hey jude'... sounds like a fucking robot. it sounded nothing like that in person.

Jack Straw 11-20-09 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by riotinmyskull (Post 9846413)
^ i rest my case.

Case dismissed due to lack of credible evidence.

Jack Straw 11-20-09 10:31 PM

Riotinmyskull is alleging with no real proof that McCartney is using a device called autotune to correct the pitch of the notes he's singing. So, if he sings off key, either flat or sharp, then autotune corrects it on the fly during the performance. I contend that it sounds totally live and natural. Sure he strains on a few notes here and there, but that's to be expected for someone of his age and career longevity. There are just too many instances of vocal hiccups for any kind of pitch correction to have been applied (i.e., McCartney's vocals aren't perfect, and they would have been with autotune).

Mike86 11-20-09 10:58 PM

I don't know. Those clips seem off to me for some reason too. I was going to buy this but I might end up passing on it.

SkullOrchard 11-21-09 09:51 AM

I'm no audio engineer. I have no idea if this vocal manipulation was produced during the live performance or in post production, but the vocals sound completely unnatural to my ears. A certain amount of vocal tweaking occurs during post production on most commercially released live recordings, but this goes way beyond that. I'm a huge Beatles/McCartney fan, but this recording is damn near unlistenable.

I believe this happened during post production because I've listened to bootleg recordings from this tour and they have all sounded fine.

auto 11-21-09 10:04 AM

That sounds awful. Surprised they ruined such a high profile release.

Alan Smithee 11-21-09 09:56 PM

Is the frame rate still messed up too, like it was on his last 2 DVDs? (Can't tell from the YouTube clips.) They used 'filmlook' on the last ones, which basically messes up the 30 fps video frame rate to look more like film, but it ends up just looking like ass. I've seen a few other concert DVDs do this the past few years, whoever thinks it looks good should have their eyes gouged out.

riotinmyskull 12-05-09 08:38 AM

Good Evening New York City marred by auto-tune

I’ve been listening to the newly released two-disc audio CDs of Paul McCartney’s Good Evening New York City this week and I have to say that I’m pretty disappointed by the blatant use of auto-tune (pitch correction software) on Paul’s vocals. yes, I understand that auto-tune is pretty much standard practice nowadays in the pop music industry but for an iconic voice as Paul’s, the tell-tale signs of auto-tune just ruins for me.
Why Paul McCartney makes me sad

I completely admire Paul for still being able to rock out at sixty-something, and actually appear to enjoy doing so. But honestly, I could barely even tell it was actually Paul McCartney during some points on the album. The amount of auto-tune used is something on par with Britney Spears rather than a level (aka nothing at all) befitting of a former Beatle! What in the world were the producers thinking?! His voice may not be quite what it was forty-ish years ago, but you DO NOT auto-tune Paul-freakin’ McCartney.

Flashback 12-07-09 10:54 AM

I love, and agree, with this line:

His voice may not be quite what it was forty-ish years ago, but you DO NOT auto-tune Paul-freakin’ McCartney.