Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Fear Factory: Mechanize - 2/9/10 with Dino Cazares

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-09, 05:52 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

From Blabbermouth.net:

FEAR FACTORY — the newly revamped band featuring original FF members Dino Cazares (guitar) and Burton C. Bell (vocals) alongside bassist Byron Stroud (who played on the last two FEAR FACTORY albums in addition to touring and recording with STRAPPING YOUNG LAD and ZIMMERS HOLE) and legendary drummer Gene Hoglan (DETHKLOK, STRAPPING YOUNG LAD, DARK ANGEL, DEATH, TESTAMENT) — will release its new album, "Mechanize", in the U.S. on February 9, 2010 via Candlelight Records and February 5, 2010 in Europe via AFM Records. The CD, which was co-produced by the band with Rhys Fulber (FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY, PARADISE LOST), was recently mixed by Greg Reely (PARADISE LOST, FRONT LINE ASSEMBLY, SKINNY PUPPY).

Track Listing:

01. Mechanize
02. Industrial Discipline
03. Fear Campaign
04. Powershifter
05. Christploitation
06. Oxidizer
07. Controlled Demolition
08. Designing The Enemy
09. Metallic Division
10. Final Exit

Full Song -"Powershifter":
http://www.youtube.com/user/Syrbian#p/a/u/0/TfekNwxK0e4

I wouldn't be surprised if this got delayed with all the legal troubles they are having over the name but it sounds pretty good.

Last edited by DarthMarino; 11-10-09 at 05:59 PM.
Old 11-10-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts
Re: Fear Factory: Mechanize - 2/9/10 with Dino Cazares

I wonder why there wasn't an issue when the band continued without Dino?

Powershifter sounds fine, but not much different than Archetype did. Unfortunately, while still being good in some places, Transgression followed.
Old 11-11-09, 12:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 228 Likes on 145 Posts

I haven't been able to get into any thing past demanufacture ... this new song is ok. Heavy enough I guess ... but kind of boring.
Old 11-11-09, 01:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

Yeah not feeling much from the first tune. I actually liked Archetype quite a bit. I'm excited Rhys Fulber is involved so hopefully some of the other tunes will have more atmosphere like the older stuff.
Old 02-12-10, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So I've spun this a few times and...nothing. I don't know if Dino used all his good riffs up on Divine Heresy or they rushed just to get something out with this lineup, but it's just meh. I mean I even prefer Transgression to this (which really isn't a horrible disc).

Something's missing with the drums too - I don't like his kick sound in the context of FF.

Hopefully this is a fluke but definitely disappointed.
Old 02-13-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think this sounds like classic Fear Factory to me. Pretty much what I would expect. I like their slower brooding stuff also, but I am not disappointed.
Old 02-13-10, 04:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Well if you mean the "sound" then yeah it's closer to that. But the songs are nowhere near as memorable IMO. Demanufacture was full of melodic hooks whether it was in the vocals, guitar riffs or keys. This really has nothing like that.

Like, when I heard Transgression the first time, even though I wasn't crazy about the lack of synth stuff and some of the direction of the tunes, the songs were still memorable. 540,000 Fahrenheit is a pretty kick ass opening. I'm sitting here right now trying to think of a vocal hook or guitar riff from Mechanize and I think I can picture maybe the opening riff to the single. That's it after 3 spins.

Seriously though, that's cool you like it. I'm curious what you mean by "slow brooding stuff". I think all of their records have had some tunes that fit that description, but none of them have been dominated by it.

I've been listening to these guys for 15 years and I count them as easily in my top 10 all time list if not top 5, so I probably have unrealistically high expectations.

Last edited by bunkaroo; 02-13-10 at 04:38 PM.
Old 02-13-10, 04:43 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Obsolete was awesome, demanufacture was great as well.. the last few have been OK.. but I'm pumped that Dino is back!!

Looking forward for their tour.
Old 02-14-10, 08:45 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
Seriously though, that's cool you like it. I'm curious what you mean by "slow brooding stuff". I think all of their records have had some tunes that fit that description, but none of them have been dominated by it.
I was more or less thinking of Resurrection, which I think is a great song, even though I am more of a Soul of a New Machine fan in general. So I agree that isn't indicative of a majority of their work. I actually prefer when Burton does the "haunting" vocals rather than the growling, if that make sense. However, I appreciate songs like Zero Signal, Replica, etc. because they have a real sense of intensity.
Old 02-14-10, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I think the album's great. The last one had some decent tracks, but overall wasn't very good. I've never thought Dino was a great guitarist, and don't get the admiration for him, but this album sounds like what I was hoping for.

I'm glad Byron is still with the band. I dig that guy.