DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   No love for "Born To Be My Baby" by Bon Jovi? (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/564450-no-love-born-my-baby-bon-jovi.html)

Buttmunker 11-07-09 09:36 PM

No love for "Born To Be My Baby" by Bon Jovi?

In 1994, the song was surprisingly missing from Bon Jovi's greatest hits collection, "Cross Roads." Born To Be My Baby was a #3 smash hit from their 1988 album, "New Jersey," and qualified....yet didn't make it.

I'm looking for a remastered version of this song, and the version from the 1988 CD is not up to par with songs from 1994's "Cross Roads." And, so far as I can see, no other hits collections (of original material) have been issued from their record label.

Am I stuck with the 1988 recording??

WMAangel 11-07-09 11:50 PM

Re: No love for "Born To Be My Baby" by Bon Jovi?

According to Wikipedia, the album "New Jersey" was remastered and re-released in 1998...so I would imagine the recording of "Born To Be My Baby" on that version would sound up to par (or better) than any of the ones on "Cross Roads" or your 1988 original version....

JAA 11-08-09 07:07 AM

Originally Posted by WMAangel (Post 9823117)
According to Wikipedia, the album "New Jersey" was remastered and re-released in 1998...so I would imagine the recording of "Born To Be My Baby" on that version would sound up to par (or better) than any of the ones on "Cross Roads" or your 1988 original version....

To each their own. I found all of the Bon Jovi remasters to be ear-bleeders (loud, with a serious high frequency kick). I have since returned to the wonderfully warm and crankable sound of the original 80's version.

Sorry, I would have sold you my remastered Jersey copy for a buck. :D

Buttmunker 11-08-09 09:42 AM

the problem with the 80's version is when it's sandwiched on a compilation CD of remastered songs. The sound drops dramatically, and you have to make the player louder for it to equal the sound of the previous song.

Good to know about the remasters.

WMAangel 11-08-09 10:11 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 9823435)
the problem with the 80's version is when it's sandwiched on a compilation CD of remastered songs. The sound drops dramatically, and you have to make the player louder for it to equal the sound of the previous song.

Apparently there is also another Bon Jovi best of/greatest hits-type album that was only released in Japan in 2001 entitled "Tokyo Road: Best Of Bon Jovi", and it has "Born To Be My Baby" on it, so it could be another option for you to consider....

DVDMagic 11-08-09 12:45 PM

The band also have plans to release a 'Greatest Hits Pt 2' album in the near future, which may or may not include the song.

Right now the have 'The Circle' out next week and a book released this past week.

The Bus 11-08-09 03:06 PM

[_] Thread contains wild accusation
[_] Thread contains erroneous facts
[X] Thread contains peculiar opinion
[X] Thread is started by Buttmunker

Spiderbite 11-08-09 03:29 PM

That song always seemed like a rip-off of Kiss' "I Was Made For Loving You" for some reason to me.

Buttmunker 11-08-09 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by The Bus (Post 9823967)
[_] Thread contains wild accusation
[_] Thread contains erroneous facts
[X] Thread contains peculiar opinion
[X] Thread is started by Buttmunker

oh well, two out of three ain't bad. ;)

Mordred 11-09-09 04:57 PM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 9823435)

1) DL a copy of Burrrrn
2) Apply ReplayGain to songs (I like to add a +5dB boost to the RG value so that it isn't quite so quiet)
3) Enjoy your compilation at a constant volume.

al_bundy 11-10-09 09:25 AM

there is a song on the new album that sounds virtually identical to Born to be my Baby. forgot the name, but i think they have a video for it as well

Ropes Pierre 11-11-09 08:43 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd (Post 9824028)
That song always seemed like a rip-off of Kiss' "I Was Made For Loving You" for some reason to me.

TONIGHT...i wanna give it all to you....in the darkness...there's so much i wanna do...

GuessWho 11-11-09 08:47 AM

BTW, new Bon Jovi album is out today

The Infidel 11-11-09 01:07 PM

Originally Posted by Ropes Pierre (Post 9829167)
TONIGHT...i wanna give it all to you....in the darkness...there's so much i wanna do...

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kw5oJoUYTb8&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Kw5oJoUYTb8&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

al_bundy 11-11-09 05:57 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 9829179)
BTW, new Bon Jovi album is out today

the circle is out today? Guy I work with has had it for weeks and I thought it was already out

erlong 11-11-09 10:01 PM

Originally Posted by al_bundy (Post 9827034)
there is a song on the new album that sounds virtually identical to Born to be my Baby. forgot the name, but i think they have a video for it as well

Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought that. The new BTBMB is "Born To Follow" or "We Weren't Born To Follow", one of those two. Everytime the new song comes on the radio, I start singing BTBMB, then quickly realize it's not BTBMB.

al_bundy 11-12-09 08:39 PM

that's it, the second one

i guess they are hard up for coming up with new riffs