Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Steven Tyler quits Aerosmith

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Steven Tyler quits Aerosmith

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-10, 11:21 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Re: Steven Tyler quits Aerosmith

Joe Perry: 'Idol' is one step above 'Ninja Turtles'
At least one person isn’t thrilled about rocker Steven Tyler possibly becoming a judge on “American Idol.”

In an interview with the Calgary Herald, Joe Perry took a few swipes at both his band’s lead singer and the show that could very well be Tyler’s new gig.

"[‘American Idol’ is] a reality show designed to get people to watch that station and sell advertising," Perry told the paper. "It's one step above (Teenage Mutant) Ninja Turtles.”

As band mates in Aerosmith, Perry and Tyler have long had a contentious relationship and it appears that the possibility of Tyler sitting behind the judges table next season on “Idol” has done little to sweeten their relationship.

The guitarist expressed disappointment that Tyler would link himself to “Idol,” saying, "I'll tell you one thing, when we put this band together, this is not something that (Steven Tyler) would do."

Perry went on, "It's his business, but I don't want Aerosmith's name involved with it...We have nothing to do with it."

Couple that with Tyler's plans to write a book and get knee surgery, Perry said, and it could be a long time before fans see Aerosmith back together, if at all - Perry hinted that the band could carry on without Tyler singing lead.

"I'm not going to sit around for two years waiting for him to come back to Aerosmith," Perry said. "(You've got) four guys that are great together, and if you find the right singer, there's no reason you can't go and entertain people."
Old 09-08-10, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

so says the pushing 60 guitar player who's been playing teenie bop pop music for the last 15-20 years
Old 09-08-10, 11:58 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Well there are levels of selling out. "I don't want to miss a thing" is at the lowest level.
Old 09-08-10, 12:02 PM
DVD Talk Hero

back in the 1980's a lot of the old fans hated Permanent Vacation with special hatred of Rag Doll
Old 09-08-10, 12:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem is they were so good in the 70's that everything after 1980 was crap. They never topped Toys in the Attic. Never should have even tried.
Old 09-08-10, 12:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think Joe Perry has a lot of room to talk since he himself took the American Idol stage to perform with Sanjaya during a finale a few years ago...
Old 09-08-10, 01:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Agreed.....about 1,000,000%.

I think the original Aerosmith must've all died around 1980 or so in some kind of "mass overdose" or something especially flamboyant, and were then cloned by greedy record execs who, unbeknownst to either the clones or the bands' early fans, removed all their "creativity genes" and replaced them with "bullshit genes" (a.k.a. "sellout genes").
Well it happened to alot of bands around the same time. The Who, The Stones etc. The list is endless. Coincided with when they started getting bad haircuts

Old 09-08-10, 03:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
"[‘American Idol’ is] a reality show designed to get people to watch that station and sell advertising," Perry told the paper. "It's one step above (Teenage Mutant) Ninja Turtles.”
I don't care to watch American Idol either, but this is true of just about every show.
Old 09-08-10, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

ing at all the insulted American Idol fans.
Old 09-08-10, 05:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
ing at all the insulted American Idol fans.
Who on here said they were Insulted American Idol fans? I've never watch the show but still think Joe's a hypocrite. Is that all right?
Old 09-08-10, 05:49 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Drexl
I don't care to watch American Idol either, but this is true of just about every show.
And every Aerosmith album since I can't remember when.
Old 09-08-10, 05:59 PM
Suspended

When Tyler and Perry checked out of rehab,they forgot to pick up their balls.
That is the only explanation I can come up with to explain why they went from Back In The Saddle to..well,everything after Done With Mirrors.
Old 09-08-10, 06:35 PM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

time to repost

Old 09-08-10, 07:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Who on here said they were Insulted American Idol fans? I've never watch the show but still think Joe's a hypocrite. Is that all right?
Sorry, I should have been more specific. I was reading an article at Yahoo about it and, against my better judgment, perused the comments underneath it. You would have thought Joe Perry had peed all over Baby Jesus.

I've never watched a single episode. I had no idea it was SO sacrosanct.
Old 09-08-10, 07:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
And every Aerosmith album since I can't remember when.
Since "Draw The Line", really. Although their output up to and including that album is pretty untouchable. 80s Desmond Child-era Aerosmith is a whole mess of meh. 90s? Blergatroid.
Old 09-08-10, 07:20 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Check out "Honkin' On Bobo". Incredibly stupid album title, but fairly decent Aerosmith album (for newer stuff, anyways)
Old 09-08-10, 11:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 478 Likes on 350 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
back in the 1980's a lot of the old fans hated Permanent Vacation with special hatred of Rag Doll
I still hate Permanent Vacation. And Pump.

The problem is they were so good in the 70's that everything after 1980 was crap.
Not true, Rock in a Hard Place is loaded with gems. It's the true stylistic follow up to Rocks. It just gets overlooked or badmouthed because Joe Perry isn't on it, but it's a great album. "Jailbait," "Lightning Strikes," "Bolivian Ragamuffin," "Rock in a Hard Place (Cheshire Cat)," etc - great stuff.

After that - once Tyler and Perry got back together they never put out a consistently great album again. IMO, of course...
Old 09-09-10, 07:20 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik

Not true, Rock in a Hard Place is loaded with gems. It's the true stylistic follow up to Rocks. It just gets overlooked or badmouthed because Joe Perry isn't on it, but it's a great album. "Jailbait," "Lightning Strikes," "Bolivian Ragamuffin," "Rock in a Hard Place (Cheshire Cat)," etc - great stuff.

After that - once Tyler and Perry got back together they never put out a consistently great album again. IMO, of course...
I also like "Rock In A Hard Place". At the time a local FM station would play their advance copies of albums in their entirety on "The Midnight Album Hour". I would tape them. I listened to this over and over for two weeks not knowing there had even been any line up change. Sounded like just the next Aerosmith album to me.

ROCKS- the last great, track for track, one
DRAW THE LINE- good not great, sounds a little sloppy and too fast. Best listened to while driving or on speed. Still classic Aerosmith.
NIGHT IN THE RUTS- Don't hear much about this one. The weakest of the classic albums. Their PRESENCE. Couple bad songs but a refreshing listen because you haven't heard it to death and it's still the classic Aerosmith sound. Not shit. Worth owning.
DONE WITH MIRRORS-unlistenable. Worse than the pussified albums to follow.

It's not the songs on the later albums so much as the way they are played/arranged. A lot of this stuff could be made to sound like the 70s stuff.
HONKIN' ON BOBO- if they can make these songs sound like 70s Aerosmith, they could/could have done it with the Geffen albums.
Old 09-09-10, 02:08 PM
DRG
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The guitarist expressed disappointment that Tyler would link himself to “Idol,” saying, "I'll tell you one thing, when we put this band together, this is not something that (Steven Tyler) would do."
Old 09-09-10, 02:44 PM
DVD Talk Legend

^Thanks for the funniest thing I've seen all week
Old 09-09-10, 03:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The problem is they were so good in the 70's that everything after 1980 was crap. They never topped Toys in the Attic. Never should have even tried.
Rocks >> Toys In The Attic. No question.
Old 09-09-10, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Rocks >> Toys In The Attic. No question.
Are you say there's no question that Rocks is better than Toys in the Attic?

That's like saying

Revolver >> Rubber Soul. No question.

Probably about 50% of Beatles fans would disagree. So... there is a question.
Old 09-09-10, 04:46 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 136 Likes on 107 Posts

Joe Perry: 'Idol' is one step above 'Ninja Turtles'
I disagree completely! I think American Idol is one step below Ninja Turtles!
Old 09-09-10, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Are you say there's no question that Rocks is better than Toys in the Attic?

That's like saying

Revolver >> Rubber Soul. No question.

Probably about 50% of Beatles fans would disagree. So... there is a question.

"No question" is an expression used when someone feels very strongly that they are correct. It doesn't mean that there is literally no chance of it being questioned.
Old 09-09-10, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by auto
"No question" is an expression used when someone feels very strongly that they are correct. It doesn't mean that there is literally no chance of it being questioned.
Really? And all this time I though no question meant... no question. Thanks for clarifying it for me.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.