Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Best and Worst in Rock 2009

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 11-05-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Here is what I enjoyed in 2009. These are not necessarily releases that came out in 2009.

Here are my picks:

Favorite release:

Rise Against - This cd got the most rotation. Just full of great hits like The Good Left Undone.

Best Comeback -

Alice in Chains - who would have ever thought that this band could come back, retain that classic AIC sound and produce one of their best cds since Jar of Flies. Everything I love about AIC is back!

Most Surprising Comeback

Creed - wow, I thought this band was done and buried, but they surprised everyone with a tour and killer single.

Band That I'm Really Sick Of

Has their ever been a week where Nickelback didn't have a single on the charts?

Best New Artist

Kings of Leon - They tore up the charts with a unique blend of vocals and smooth guitar licks.

2nd choice - Hollywood Undead - you get a bit of everything with these guys, rock, catchy rap, and creepy masks.

Band Names that I Hate -

Cavo, Veer Union, Pop Evil - Can't say why, but these names just annoy me and I don't like their music either.

Biggest Letdown -

Chickenfoot - Their release was pretty generic rock, nothing that made me wanna listen to it over and over.
Old 11-05-09, 08:14 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Best and Worst in Rock 2009

Originally Posted by jeffbase34
Best New Artist

Kings of Leon - They tore up the charts with a unique blend of vocals and smooth guitar licks.
They've been around for ten years.
Old 11-05-09, 08:25 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

What do you expect from someone who thinks Creed is the comeback of the year?
Old 11-05-09, 08:33 AM

Originally Posted by cungar
What do you expect from someone who thinks Creed is the comeback of the year?
They're merely the "most-surprising" comeback of the year. Alice in Chains is the best comeback of the year. No word yet on what the worst comeback or least-surprising comebacks were.
Old 11-05-09, 08:43 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

I don't think it counts as a comeback, but that Johnny Cash Remixed is the worst of something.
Old 11-05-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Worst:

Lita Ford "Wicked Wonderland". A big ugly muddled shitty mess. Huge disappointment.
Old 11-05-09, 09:15 AM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

I was stumbled across Juliette Lewis playing a show on DirecTV 101 network the other day. That is not only the worst rock of 2009, but possibly of all time.
Old 11-05-09, 09:18 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by MWB
Umm, you can say this about any band that emerges on the charts. It's very rare that a band forms and immediately bursts on the music charts. 2009 was the year that they gained mainstream success.
Old 11-05-09, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by MWB
And they really, really blow. Talk about your generic rock, I don't see how these jackoffs are any better than Nickelback, Creed, or any of these other yutzes.
Old 11-05-09, 09:37 AM

Umm, you can say this about any band that emerges on the charts. It's very rare that a band forms and immediately bursts on the music charts. 2009 was the year that they gained mainstream success.
I guess we have different standards in what makes an artist "new," then.

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
And they really, really blow. Talk about your generic rock, I don't see how these jackoffs are any better than Nickelback, Creed, or any of these other yutzes.
They're the Journey of the new millennium.
Old 11-05-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Is the OP completely sincere?
Old 11-05-09, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 11-05-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Well Drew Barrymore hangs around with them so they must be hip.
Old 11-05-09, 10:19 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Thank you, I couldn't agree more. They're like the hipster version of Creed/Nickleback.
Old 11-05-09, 10:33 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 695 Likes on 429 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Well Drew Barrymore hangs around with them so they must be hip.
...and I thought I couldn't loathe them more...
Old 11-05-09, 11:24 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Yeah, can't stand Kings of Leon anymore. "...don't ya know that i could use some BOOODEEEEHHHhhhhhhhhhhh." Ugh, shut the hell up already...
Old 11-05-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 215 Likes on 128 Posts

"_____'s 5th album is one of their best since their 3rd album" is not a ringing endorsement.
Old 11-05-09, 11:40 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Groucho
I was stumbled across Juliette Lewis playing a show on DirecTV 101 network the other day. That is not only the worst rock of 2009, but possibly of all time.
I had the same misfortune, and totally agree.
Old 11-05-09, 12:13 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've always thought that Juliette Lewis might be mildly retarded.
Old 11-05-09, 12:18 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by slop101
Thank you, I couldn't agree more. They're like the hipster version of Creed/Nickleback.
But, but...the singer has stubble. Unshaven + zip up hoody = cool. The only way they could be cooler is if they smoked Parliaments and wore Chuck Taylors.
Old 11-05-09, 12:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Not only have they been around for years, they've been getting airplay for years. You just haven't been paying attention.
Old 11-05-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think I must be the only person in the world that wishes Alice in Chains would have stayed away and maintained the legacy. I really don't like the new singles, but haven't actually listened to the album.
Old 11-05-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Never thought of Kings Of Leon as a new band either. I like a few songs from their first two albums, but for the life of me cannot figure out how that last album brought them mainstream success. It's quite generic. Oh, wait... that's the reason.
Old 11-05-09, 01:19 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Wow, I thought there was some unabashed love for Kings of Leon on this forum. A friend of mine gave me a couple CDs to listen to and ... blah. Hearing a single on the radio every once in a while works. A whole album? Yikes. That guys voice is like nails on a chalkboard.

I'll add a few:

Either retire already or "Get your head in the game and give the fans what they want" award : Queensryche. American Soldier was pure garbage. I continually buy their shit and am continually disappointed. I think Geoff Tate is surrounded by too many "Yes" men.

Break out from a video game award: Ghost Hounds. I can't get enough of their sound. In a world where everything on the radio basically sounds the same they are a breath of fresh air.

Supergroup of the Year: Chickenfoot - no there isn't a lot of substance here, but it's pure unadulterated fun rock. Something that has been sorely missing from the cultural landscape for years.

ReRelease of the Year: Pearl Jam - Ten. Still as good as it ever was. Sounds even better.

Glad I listened to DVDtalkers award: Muse - The Resistance. Based on Talkers here I nabbed Origin of Symmetry late last year which is great so I picked up Resistance based on the hype here as well and wow. Killer album. Definitely top 5 of the year.

Where the Fuck Are You Award: tie: Kenny Wayne Shepherd - it's been 5 years since the last proper album. Come on already. 10 Days Out was great and all but it's live cuts. Get in the studio. Second, Days of the New, 8 years since the last album. Travis checks the DotN MySpace page daily and even has some new cuts on the long rumored Purple album available to listen to. Get it out already dammit!

Lastly,
Late to the Party on this one: Nightwish - Dark Passion Play. Probably my favorite album this year and yet it came out in 2007.
Old 11-05-09, 02:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
Wow, I thought there was some unabashed love for Kings of Leon on this forum. A friend of mine gave me a couple CDs to listen to and ... blah. Hearing a single on the radio every once in a while works. A whole album? Yikes. That guys voice is like nails on a chalkboard.
Surprised at the Kings of Leon hate here. I expected more for Hollywood Undead. I can't think of anyone else really new that blew me away. Maybe Halestorm, but I only heard their debut single.

I'll add a few:

Either retire already or "Get your head in the game and give the fans what they want" award : Queensryche. American Soldier was pure garbage. I continually buy their shit and am continually disappointed. I think Geoff Tate is surrounded by too many "Yes" men.

I was a huge Queensryche fan back in the Empire days. Every release since then has progressively been worse. I never even bothered to listen to Tribe. Nothing stood out for me on this release either. Bring back the killer twin guitar solos!

Late to the Party on this one: Nightwish - Dark Passion Play. Probably my favorite album this year and yet it came out in 2007.
Nightwish is also my favorite discovery this year. "Nemo" might be the greatest rock song I ever heard. Just perfect and I can't stop listening to it.

I also discovered the genre of celtic folk metal. I've become a fan of ELUVEITIE and love the fact that they sing in ancient Gaul.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.