Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

How big is Julian Casablancas ego? A $89.95 box set solo debut?

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 10-23-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Julian Casablancas to Release Box Set Edition of Solo Album

We're less than two weeks away from Phrazes for the Young, the first solo album from Strokes frontman Julian Casablancas. (It's due due November 2 in the UK via Rough Trade and November 3 in the U.S. via Cult/RCA.) But if you're willing to wait a little longer and drop $89.95, you can get yourself a whole lot more Julian, since he's also releasing a deluxe box set edition of the album.

The box, pictured above, includes a whole lot of stuff: the album on CD and 180-gram vinyl, a 48-page book autographed by Julian, a DVD with solo acoustic performances, a second CD with demo versions and B-sides, a double-sided poster, and a Cult Records pin. It'll all come in a fancy antique-styled box. Though the box set isn't out until December 18, you'll also get an immediate download of the album on the album's release date. Check out the details here.

In other Casablancas news, he recently gave an interview to The Sun in which he talked about the progress of the fourth Strokes album. (Via the Quietus) Casablancas said, "There is a disagreement as to whether the songs are ready. Some of the band think they are and others don't. I'm somewhere in the middle.
He added, "The problem is getting us together. We're scattered everywhere, and apart from when we're rehearsing we don't see each other. We're not like people who go to the movies together. It's weird with the band. A band is actually a great way to ruin a friendship."

Well, that's not very encouraging! Those of you holding your breaths waiting for another Strokes album are probably already long dead. But if you're still alive, you should go ahead and breathe; it looks like it'll be a while.

Posted by Tom Breihan on October 23, 2009 at 2:10 p.m.
Old 10-23-09, 07:03 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Re: How big is Julian Casablancas ego? A $89.95 box set solo debut?

You'd have to pay me $89.95 just to go anywhere near music made by members of The Strokes.
Old 10-23-09, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
You'd have to pay me $89.95 just to go anywhere near music made by members of The Strokes.
i'm with you there!

but imagine how cool you'll be if you own this...
Old 10-23-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I love The Strokes and im certainly interested to hear Julian's solo record but i will settle for the more casual basic single cd version
Old 10-23-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 18 Likes on 8 Posts

Sounds like a great deal if overrated douchebags are your thing.
Old 10-24-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Turd Ferguson
Sounds like a great deal if overrated douchebags are your thing.
So it should go nicely on a shelf with John Lennon and U2?

j/k
Old 10-24-09, 07:33 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
a DVD with solo acoustic performances
Old 10-24-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had no idea who Julian Casablancas was. I just remembered his name from "Boombox" on The Lonely Island's debut CD (best track on the album). Heh, I never put 2+2 together. I thought his voice sounded familiar.

This sounds like a terrible marketing strategy since buying physical $10 CDs seems like a chore by most of society nowadays. I don't know how he could expect fans to pay $89.95 for a solo box since The Strokes don't remotely have a following where their fans are like cult members.
Old 10-24-09, 01:35 PM

$90 is a drop in the Atlantic when it comes to my trust fund. I'll have this on day of release.

Kidding. I do like the Strokes though; once I looked past the (over)hype and gave them a chance, I became addicted to their first two albums. Sort of a guilty pleasure, I guess.

While I might pick up the regular version of the album, this set is a bit ridiculous.
Old 10-24-09, 02:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The Pacific is much larger than the Atlantic, much larger.

Who the fuck are The Strokes?

Who the fuck is Julian Casablancas?
Old 10-24-09, 02:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I had a chance to see the strokes at a festival in 2004, needless to say I left when they hit the stage. They got TOP BILLING over everyone- pretty things, big star, etc etc. it amazed the hell out of me. Lots of good bands only got like 10 minute sets while these overrated tools got an hour on stage.

Last edited by statcat; 10-24-09 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-24-09, 02:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat
I had a chance to see the strokes at a festival in 2004, needless to say I left when they hit the stage. They got TOP BILLING over everyone- pretty things, big star, etc etc. it amazed the hell out of me. Lots of good bands only got like 10 minute sets while these overrated tools got an hour on stage.
Because they were (or maybe are) more popular than those other bands.

I remember them being pretty big when I was in high school.
Old 10-24-09, 03:03 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I love Big Star. And I love the Strokes. They are a fine band.
Old 10-24-09, 03:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
So it should go nicely on a shelf with John Lennon and U2?

j/k
no need to joke I'd agree with that one!
Old 10-24-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

no need to joke I'd agree with that one!
Actually The Beatles/John Lennon are one of the only bands/artists I would argue for not being overrated. I get what you're saying but that man deserves every bit of acclaim that he recieves.

I don't think The Strokes are overrated because I don't think they are even rated that highly to begin with.
Old 10-24-09, 06:37 PM

For 89.95, he should have titled it "Is This It?"
Old 10-25-09, 12:22 AM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by RagingBull80
Actually The Beatles/John Lennon are one of the only bands/artists I would argue for not being overrated. I get what you're saying but that man deserves every bit of acclaim that he recieves.

I don't think The Strokes are overrated because I don't think they are even rated that highly to begin with.
I think The Beatles deserve every bit of praise they get; I do wonder how massive Lennon's ego would have grown if he hadn't been killed.
Old 10-25-09, 12:34 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Ive noticed a lot of hatred towards the Strokes for quite awhile, yet I do not quite understand why.

I think they are a fine band, not great by any means but I don't think they deserve the beating they take by people who are jealous or simply don't like their type of music.

If you want to argue about bands and egos, your so far off its not even funny. Pretty much every band has at least a few within that have overblown egos, most artists do, it just happens sometimes.

Clearly not always, and when they don't get crazed then its all the better, but many if not most do get bloated in the head.

I do like the look of this set and although I only like, not love The Strokes or Julian, I might get it if its a numbered or limited run set, just cause.
Old 10-25-09, 01:44 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Cathepsin
For 89.95, he should have titled it "Is This It?"
Old 10-25-09, 09:14 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by foofighters7
Ive noticed a lot of hatred towards the Strokes for quite awhile, yet I do not quite understand why.
You dont want to jump on the bandwagon? Cuz thats all it is.I guess people hear the name "Julian Casablancas" and just assume arrogance.
Old 10-25-09, 09:30 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I do like the look of this set and although I only like, not love The Strokes or Julian, I might get it if its a numbered or limited run set, just cause.
Wish I had the disposable income to buy CDs because of the way they look, because they're limited editions or just "cause". I guess I have this weird thing about buying CDs because they actually contain good music.
Old 10-25-09, 11:34 AM

Wish I had the disposable income to buy CDs because of the way they look, because they're limited editions or just "cause". I guess I have this weird thing about buying CDs because they actually contain good music.
hahaha

that just sounded foolish.

Becides the foolish talk, you have no idea what is on the CD, and have no possible ability to know if it is good or not.

I was saying that I might do a blind buy and if its good, great, if its not and is a LE- sell it off for a small profit.

I love how people do get on their little bandwagons, its quite funny, actually.
Old 10-25-09, 12:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

hahaha

that just sounded foolish.

Becides the foolish talk, you have no idea what is on the CD, and have no possible ability to know if it is good or not.

I was saying that I might do a blind buy and if its good, great, if its not and is a LE- sell it off for a small profit.

I love how people do get on their little bandwagons, its quite funny, actually.
Yeah and what you originally said about buying it because it looked cool and "just cause" didn't sound foolish.
Old 10-25-09, 03:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Yeah and what you originally said about buying it because it looked cool and "just cause" didn't sound foolish.
I kinda liked the "becides", myself.
Old 10-25-09, 06:08 PM

I'm certainly sorry I seem to have more money than you to spend on music.

I truly am a terrible monster for spending the money on his box set, I truly am.

I just wonder what type of person you are for complaining about the fact that I am willing to buy it? Seems like you might be either a jealous person who needs to quite complaining about people who want to spend their money on the set or simply a simpleton who has no life... not sure.

Maybe you are jealous of Julian? Your actions show your in terrible need of some help, but I'm simply not aware of what exactly is your issue.

Put down your bindle, get a job and stop being a hobo, then you too can afford to buy things "just cause".

Hokeyboy- screw off! haha I posted that getting ready to leave, and on top of that I do not spellchack, ever.

Getting back on issue, can one of you hate mongers please let me know why you dislike him or the band so?
I understand hating bands but what is your reason?
I'm quite interested in the reasoning.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.