DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   METALLICA: "Death Magnetic" discussion part 2 (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/561701-metallica-death-magnetic-discussion-part-2-a.html)

david12 11-07-10 10:29 PM

Re: METALLICA: "Death Magnetic" discussion part 2

Mustaine's voice will never be mainstream, Slayer is too satanic, and Anthrax is too thrash. To be honest, I'm surprised that those bands are even still playing. Metallica on the other hand really went towards a more mainstream sound on the Black album and they became legends. So, the other bands however badass, should be in awe of them because like gerry said 'it's fucking metallica." Honestly, how many of the however many thousands at the 'Big 4' concert bought their tickets because Megadeth was playing?

nodeerforamonth 11-08-10 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by david12 (Post 10478972)
Honestly, how many of the however many thousands at the 'Big 4' concert bought their tickets because Megadeth was playing?

Quite a few, I would think. Bulgaria is probably starved for live music from a band like Megadeth and Megadeth HAS sold quite a few million albums. At least 10 million albums.

gerrythedon 11-12-10 10:16 PM

Date:
Nov 10, 2010
Venue:
Acer Arena

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Through The Never
One
Broken, Beat & Scarred
Wherever I May Roam
Sad But True
The Unforgiven
...And Justice For All
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Blackened
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Am I Evil?
Motorbreath
Seek and Destroy

gerrythedon 11-12-10 10:17 PM

Date:
Nov 11, 2010
Venue:
Acer Arena

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
Cyanide
Creeping Death
Harvester Of Sorrow
Fade To Black
The Memory Remains
No Remorse
Sad But True
No Leaf Clover
Orion
One
Master Of Puppets
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Stone Cold Crazy
Whiplash
Seek and Destroy

gerrythedon 11-12-10 10:17 PM

Shows in 2011?!?!?!

Rock in Rio, September 25, 2011

We know it's pretty nutty to announce a show almost a year in advance . . . certainly not something we've ever done before! However, when we were asked to headline the original Rock in Rio, the one actually in Rio de Janeiro (!!), we just couldn't say "no." After playing at other Rock in Rio festivals in Lisbon and Madrid years past, it seemed like it would make for a fun break from whatever (??!!) we might be doing a year from now. So we hope you'll dig up a 2011 calendar and mark off September 25, 2011 for a date with 'Tallica in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil.

Tickets go on sale on November 19th, 2010 only at the Rock in Rio official website, RockInRio.com.br. Other points of sale will be available only after July, 1, 2011.

gerrythedon 11-12-10 10:18 PM

'THE BIG FOUR: LIVE FROM SOFIA, BULGARIA': FIRST-WEEK CHART POSITIONS

"The Big Four: Live From Sofia, Bulgaria" DVD and Blu-ray containing footage of the June 22, 2010 Sonisphere cinecast from the Sofia, Bulgaria leg of the touring rock festival featuring the "Big Four" of 1980s thrash metal — Metallica, Slayer, Megadeth and Anthrax — has registered the following first-week chart positions:
USA: #1
Canada: #1
UK: #1
Australia: #1
Austria: #1
Switzerland: #3
Germany: #4

gerrythedon 11-12-10 10:19 PM

http://s3prod.weheartit.netdna-cdn.c...jpg?1282422695

:lol: saw this posted at the METALLICA forum.

gerrythedon 11-12-10 10:20 PM

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/J6fMh5wvHm8?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/J6fMh5wvHm8?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="390"></object>

gerrythedon 11-12-10 10:26 PM

:rock2: Only!
:rock2: :rock2: Holy Wars in the rain.
:rock2: :rock2: :rock2: Am I Evil?

wished the documentary was longer, good stuff.

nodeerforamonth 11-13-10 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10488359)
I wish they'd slow down just a hair. I've seen "the mighty Met" about a dozen times, but all before 1994, and I know they didn't play at those speeds back then (and I have the bootlegs to prove that).

huh? Are you trolling? Metallica basically created the whole genre of thrash! or what is known as thrash... yeah, Motorhead and Venom were there before them, but when they started, "playing fast" is what Metallica did! Check out their albums called "Kill Em All" and "Ride The Lightning". You should know this!!! Lars was only president of the American chapter of your fan club in the early '80s!

I wish they'd play even faster! I didn't notice them playing anything "faster" than normal at this show, and I've been listening to Metallica since 1983!!! On bootleg and seeing them live.

I also wish they'd get rid of "Nothing Else Matters". This easy-listening piece of crap should never even have been written, let alone played at a live show. It's a total embarassment. Save that easy-listening shit for Pink Floyd.

nodeerforamonth 11-13-10 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10488414)
I'm not talking about playing fast when the song was written to be played fast.

I'm talking about mid-tempo numbers that are sloppy as fuck, and are even missing notes in the rhythm parts (even something simple like Enter Sandman is played without regard to the actual notes/original parts, eventually sounding garage-band-like).

And I'm telling you Metallica was NOT like this until about 15-17 years ago, when their mainstream success began to fuck them over musically, both live and in the studio.

In my opinion, they shouldn't play anything they released from 1991-1997.

My bitching aside, the blu-ray was great, in it's technical specs, anyway. And half the performances are truly killer (and, not-so-ironically, those performances are by the "hungriest" two bands of the Big 4). The other two? One phoned-in show (Slayer), and one slop-fest (Met).
Try to listen to the SLAYER without watching them. Comes across way better. (I got the set w/ the CDs).

While Megadeth PLAYED fantastic, Mustaine's vocals were overdubbed for this release. Check out the bootleg copies of their show that were released before this (check out "Hook In Mouth" from youtube) and compare it to the release. Totally different.

VHS? 11-13-10 12:48 PM

If people complain so much about Metallica, why do they buy the albums, or download, go to the shows, buy the DVDs ... only to complain more ?
Opinions are one thing but the constant bashing of what they do now as compared to what they used to do ... it gets old.
If you dont like what they do now, then jump off the wagon.
It seems the story is always the same. It started back in the early 90's ... James voice ... blah blah blah ... Either get over it or bounce.
There are a few bands I used to like and then I found they just didn't fill my taste anymore. So I stopped listening. It's that simple :shrug:

VHS? 11-13-10 01:45 PM

Wasn't strictly directed at you, but a group of those who have these 'opinions' like you.
Opinions that are more so rants about a band who seems to do very well without the 'advice' of so called fans.

Your post is far from opinion and more like an advice column one what they need to do in order to please 'fans like you'

Also. You need to read a little better. I didn't say you 'bounced' or 'got over it'
I said, and I quote ...

Either get over it or bounce.
That means. Deal with it or dont bother being 'a fan' of Metallica.
It's one thing to say a few things about a band from time to time but it seems every time Metallica comes up in a conversation, all the same crap comes out of peoples mouths. They stopped listening after the Black album. James voice and his added 'AHHHH' and 'YEAHHH' ...

nodeerforamonth 11-13-10 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by Lemmy (Post 10488536)
Hell, even at the shows I attend gratis, I don't want sloppiness. It's disrespectful to the legacy of the group, to say nothing of the fans.

I think, at this point, I might care more about good Metallica than even Metallica does. :shrug:

But, I bought the blu, and all this is just my 2 cents. Everyone has an opinion. :D

We'll have to disagree. I like sloppy better than polished music. If I want it to be all perfect, I'll listen to the album. I'll usually listen to a live show over an album because of the rawness & sloppiness of the live show (of ANY live band. That I like...)

With comments like yours, I AM finally beginning to think that you are not really Lemmy though. The REAL Lemmy likes it raw, loud, fast, and in your face.

Mustaine's vocals (the real version) was horrendous. I'm not talking "bootleg". I'm talking what was shown in the theaters the day of the event. He was singing in a weird, high falsetto about a quarter of the time. Very weird... I'm actually glad they overdubbed his vocals for the dvd release. It was that bad.

Rypro 525 11-13-10 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth (Post 10488422)
In my opinion, they shouldn't play anything they released from 1991-1997.

which means that they should play a shit ton of St. Anger :D

Also, Dave sounded like shit when i was at the big 3 tour in baltimore.

gerrythedon 11-13-10 09:57 PM

gerrythedon 11-20-10 11:06 AM

Date:
Nov 13, 2010
Venue:
Acer Arena

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
Fuel
Disposable Heroes
The Thing That Should Not Be
Welcome Home (Sanitarium)
Leper Messiah
I Disappear
Sad But True
Turn The Page
All Nightmare Long
One
Master Of Puppets
Damage, Inc.
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Last Caress
Trapped Under Ice
Seek and Destroy

gerrythedon 11-20-10 11:07 AM

Date:
Nov 15, 2010
Venue:
Entertainment Centre

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
For Whom The Bell Tolls
Fuel
Fade To Black
Broken, Beat & Scarred
Wherever I May Roam
Sad But True
The Unforgiven
All Nightmare Long
One
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Am I Evil?
Hit The Lights
Seek and Destroy

gerrythedon 11-20-10 11:07 AM

Date:
Nov 16, 2010
Venue:
Entertainment Centre

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
Cyanide
Creeping Death
Harvester Of Sorrow
One
Leper Messiah
I Disappear
Sad But True
Orion
The Day That Never Comes
Master Of Puppets
Battery
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Die, Die My Darling
The Four Horsemen
Seek and Destroy

gerrythedon 11-20-10 11:08 AM

Date:
Nov 18, 2010
Venue:
Rod Laver Arena

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
The End Of The Line
Harvester Of Sorrow
The Shortest Straw
Fade To Black
The Memory Remains
I Disappear
Sad But True
Turn The Page
Orion
One
Master Of Puppets
Damage, Inc.
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Breadfan
Jump In the Fire
Seek and Destroy

gerrythedon 11-20-10 11:09 AM

Date:
Nov 20, 2010
Venue:
Rod Laver Arena

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
Cyanide
Ride The Lightning
Through The Never
The God That Failed
My Apocalypse
Sad But True
No Leaf Clover
The Outlaw Torn
One
Master Of Puppets
Dyers Eve
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Stone Cold Crazy
Phantom Lord
Seek and Destroy

Damn they played OUTLAW.

gerrythedon 11-20-10 11:11 AM

Errant Beachball Incident

In the wacky world of rock'n'roll, sometimes stuff happens which looks even weirder than it really is! And with context being vital in these situations, we just wanted to address something which happened on the tour the other night regarding a large beachball, a band member's foot and a little girl. Some of you will have seen on YouTube (or read in some reports) that Kirk knocked a small child offstage by kicking a beachball at her. That little lady is the daughter of the stage manager and dressing coordinator, who are fortunate to travel as a family on this tour. She was thoroughly enjoying watching the beachballs drop from the rafters, Kirk was thoroughly enjoying kicking the beachballs off the stage and back into the crowd as has been done every night on the tour, and neither of them saw the other. The poor wee one happened to be in the wrong place at the wrong time. She wasn't hurt. She didn't go "flying several feet into the audience." And Kirk and she remain good buddies. It's very cool that everyone showed concern and support though, so we just wanted to say "it's all good" and thanks for asking.

http://dashboard.metallica.com/iverg...v1810_khsw.jpg

gerrythedon 11-20-10 11:15 AM

Metallica: The Billboard Cover Story

http://www.billboard.com/#/features/...2.story?page=1

http://www.billboard.com/#/features/...2.story?page=2

Next: Metallica Talks 2011 Plans
http://www.billboard.com/#/features/...2.story?page=3

gerrythedon 11-21-10 11:40 PM

Date:
Nov 21, 2010
Venue:
Rod Laver Arena

Setlist:
That Was Just Your Life
Fuel
Disposable Heroes
The Thing That Should Not Be
Fade To Black
Of Wolf And Man
Leper Messiah
Sad But True
The Unforgiven III
The Call Of Ktulu
One
Master Of Puppets
Fight Fire With Fire
Nothing Else Matters
Enter Sandman
- - - - - - - -
Die, Die My Darling
Trapped Under Ice
Seek and Destroy

gerrythedon 11-21-10 11:41 PM

THE LAST THREE SHOWS...THE END OF THE LINE...THE BEGINNING OF ANOTHER...
11/21/2010

By Steffan Chirazi, So What! Editor

...so this is the end my friends...
I mean, not of Metallica or anything like that, uh-uh... as James Hetfield himself said at the conclusion of tonight's World Magnetic tour at the Rod Laver Arena in Melbourne, Australia, 'we'll be coming back quite a few more times' ...no, the end my friends of a tour which has taken in 215 shows over 992 days in 45 different countries.
The end of an end of a tour which saw Metallica go to Australia thrice times such was the demand (I mean, what was it? 16 shows that those lovely, mad antipodean bastards drank up like the finest champagne in comfy beer bottles?) .
The end of a tour which (for me) saw this band rediscover it's true heart and soul.
The end of a tour which saw these four men grow up a whole lot more than ever before.

It's the first time I've seen a tour end where everyone in the band hadn't grown tired of each other.
No fights.
No major grumbles.
No passive-aggressive games.
Just four men who were genuinely enjoying every night they brought this music to you, and furthermore, genuinely enjoying their own beautiful, harmonious chemistry.

There is obviously a physical relief that their bodies will get some rest, some recuperation beyond two weeks.
But equally, there is the gnawing sense that this...this...well, 'this was fun and shit, we're gonna miss it quicker than we know.'
Because to me, Lars, James, Kirk and Rob plugged into performances that were often transcendent in terms of realizing another level to which this band can go as artists and performers. And as such, there has grown an enormous comfort in the knowledge that their re-birth at the start of 'Death Magnetic' has flourished into a whole new life.

These shows (this tour) has seen Metallica play unencumbered by the sorts of performance worries and stresses that multi-platinum bands often get back-ache from. They've played with the spirit of kids again, and because they've been having fun and not sweating the details, the details have been virtually spotless. Funny how that works...

But make no mistake, this ain't been no sloppy-Joe garage band trogging it around the place. This has been a mighty operation reliant on what must be the best crew anyone could ask for. I'm not usually one for just throwing out statistics uninvited, but I'm going to because, well, they're pretty mind-blowing.

143 arena shows, 34 festivals, 29 stadium shows, 4 club/theater shows, 3 TV/radio shows, 2 Rock And Roll Hall of Fame shows...two natural disasters with the Icelandic volcano and the Christchurch, NZ earthquake but no shows lost (unless you count a certain oyster incident!)...approximately 56,000 beach balls have been dropped (and word is that the carpenters and illustrious stage manager might well have consumed an equal amount of beers)...seven new babies were born to Metallica crew members, there was an engagement (Tori to Trivett) and a marriage (Dewey)...there have been approximately 180 crew members for whom this has been a life taking up varying degrees of 24-7 time; 14 have made it from the first show to the last. There are more stats but, ah, another day. Needless to say, since the tour that became World Magnetic kicked off on May 14, 2008 to this, it's final day, November 21, 2010, a lot has happened to a lot of people...

...and so it is that for tours to survive, let alone flourish, the family spirit must be here, there, everywhere. Think for a second about that; it doesn't always mean 24/7 happy-shiney-people, but it does mean love and respect from EVERYWHERE at a show, from the band to the crew to YOU...

Lars had been talking to a few of the fantastic fans that travel thousands of miles to dozens of Metallica shows, the next-level dedicated if you will, and he told them that he was also them, that he had done similar for Richie Blackmore. He said he'd join them at the rail and get in there. And tonight, after the final note of the tour had been heard, after the 'final whistle' had been blown if you will, there was Lars, jumping down from the stage and getting right into that crowd (Kirk being quick to join him) diving into the melee and coming up for air with that famous dirty, filthy grimace of Ulrichian joy. It was great, a simple but immensely powerful (as well as pure) gesture. And you simply cannot fake that shit. You really can't. And I say that not just because Lars said he'd get on the rail with the fans and did, I say it because deep down, there is a real kinetic charge that they all get from the fans. It's undeniable. You most likely know what I mean, and if you don't, go to a show one day and learn!

So really, let me be clear once more. Yes, it's the end of the World Magnetic tour, but it's been a celebration of the new worlds, new places, new journeys and destinations I feel Metallica will now embark upon with greater happiness, enjoyment and fortitude than for many a year. And as hard as I try to round this off by saying goodbye, well, it isn't is it? Metallica is 30 starting in January 2011...and given the appetite I've witnessed even during these last three Melbourne shows, we'll be hearing from them sooner than later (they already announced Rock In Rio next September before officially ending World Magnetic, that tells you something). I have no inside knowledge and no details of anything whatsoever, but I'm telling you goddamit that I'm right!

:-)

Steffan Chirazi
Melbourne, Nov 21st 2010