Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Kanye West meltdown - VMA 2009

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Another Kanye West meltdown - VMA 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Re: Another Kanye West meltdown - VMA 2009

Originally Posted by cungar
^
These are getting less and less funny as more come out
I asked Kanye what he thought about this.

Kanye: Yo Cungar you are pretty unfunny and I'm gonna let you finish, but Baron is the most unfunny of all time.

Kanye is kind of A-hole isn't he.
Old 09-17-09, 02:41 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://kanyelicio.us/http://forum.dvdtalk.com

Last edited by Quake1028; 09-17-09 at 02:44 PM.
Old 09-17-09, 03:09 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 911 Likes on 646 Posts

Originally Posted by Quake1028
He's not letting me see it.
Old 09-18-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Staged
No kidding:

1. Both Kanye and Swift have the same agent, David Wirtschafter.

2. Wirtschafter is also 50 Cent's agent. About a year ago there was a "beef" between 50 Cent and Kanye right before their albums were released. 50 Cent said he would retire if Kanye sold more albums than him because Kanye’s music is garbage. Later both artists admitted the “beef” was staged to promote their album releases. So Kanye and Wirtschafter have already proven that they will fake a controversy among his clients to help promote them.

3. Kanye was flaunting a Hennessey bottle all night, to make sure everyone would assume he was getting drunk.

4. Wirtschafter knew that West was scheduled to be on the premiere of Leno's new show the next night, which would have a huge audience (and did). What a coincidence!

5. The VMA Awards show is notorious for staging outrageous events to draw attention to itself. Remember the Madonna and Britney Spears "spontaneous" kiss?

6. Taylor Swift won for best Female Video, beating Beyonce. But Beyonce won the Best Video award overall. How does that work?
Old 09-18-09, 10:01 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Kanye is signed to Universal, the same company that puts out Jay Leno's show.
Old 09-18-09, 10:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

If West was involved in a publicity conspiracy, he clearly played it badly. Some online polls show he has about 90% of the public against him. Can't see how this can really help his career.
Old 09-18-09, 10:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

It was probably just another publicity stunt, from their perspective. I doubt they were prepared for the sh*tstorm that ensued.
Old 09-18-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

Old 09-18-09, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

^
These are getting less and less funny as more come out
Jeezus...you are so right.
Old 09-18-09, 11:57 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by seymouru
5. The VMA Awards show is notorious for staging outrageous events to draw attention to itself. Remember the Madonna and Britney Spears "spontaneous" kiss?
No one has ever (to my knowledge) claimed that was spontaneous.

6. Taylor Swift won for best Female Video, beating Beyonce. But Beyonce won the Best Video award overall. How does that work?
Clearly Beyonce is a man.
Old 09-18-09, 12:04 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by bootsy
I am really tired of this subject. It was nice when it was fresh Sunday night and all day Monday but we are on Wednesday now. People are acting like this is some national scandal. This was an award show, an MTV award show at that where the unexpected ALWAYS happens and I don't remember getting so heated about an incident as this has. Kanye apologized, Taylor accepted it's time to move on to something else.
I would agree but normally America gets up in arms about something stupid. I'm not saying this isn't stupid but the media usually latches on to something that the moronic public feels they should speak out against. This time they are getting up in arms over someone who is a complete asshole and deserves the backlash.

Sorry but he's not brilliant. He's just another person that speaks rhythmically. If he were actually talented I could see letting some* of the shit he has done slide. Naming himself the voice of his generation, really?

*The Swift incident is not one of the events you let even talented people slide on. This was a completely disrespectful move and I think he is an even bigger piece of shit than I did before.
Old 09-18-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

No kidding:

1. Both Kanye and Swift have the same agent, David Wirtschafter.

2. Wirtschafter is also 50 Cent's agent. About a year ago there was a "beef" between 50 Cent and Kanye right before their albums were released. 50 Cent said he would retire if Kanye sold more albums than him because Kanye’s music is garbage. Later both artists admitted the “beef” was staged to promote their album releases. So Kanye and Wirtschafter have already proven that they will fake a controversy among his clients to help promote them.

3. Kanye was flaunting a Hennessey bottle all night, to make sure everyone would assume he was getting drunk.

4. Wirtschafter knew that West was scheduled to be on the premiere of Leno's new show the next night, which would have a huge audience (and did). What a coincidence!

i'm shocked

and this whole time i thought he was sitting in the audience, getting drunk and decided to run on stage. and they didn't go to a commercial break during his rant.
Old 09-18-09, 12:16 PM
DVD Talk Hero

If West was involved in a publicity conspiracy, he clearly played it badly. Some online polls show he has about 90% of the public against him. Can't see how this can really help his career.
i see the careers of miley cyrus and the vanity fair photographer are hurting as well
Old 09-18-09, 12:45 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Pffft!!

Who would really believe that Kanye is Swift's pimp!!! Thats stupid!!

I want to know your source!
Old 09-18-09, 12:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
i see the careers of miley cyrus and the vanity fair photographer are hurting as well
Huh?
Old 09-18-09, 01:38 PM

Off topic I know but why does everyone (not just here but everywhere) only talk about when Madonna kissed Brittney? She kissed Christina Aguilera immediately after Brittney but no one seems to remember that? Madonna kissed them both during that performance.
Old 09-18-09, 01:43 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huh?
He's saying wait till the next Kanye album comes out and it sells a million billion copies. The public opinion in the now doesn't mean much sadly.

If anything, I at least hope this burned some bridges in the industry for him. At least on the level of other performers. That would actually be my concern were I Kanye, and actually is probably why he even gave a shit about it afterwards. The backlash from his peers, not the public.
Old 09-18-09, 02:22 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by superfro
He's saying wait till the next Kanye album comes out and it sells a million billion copies. The public opinion in the now doesn't mean much sadly.

If anything, I at least hope this burned some bridges in the industry for him. At least on the level of other performers. That would actually be my concern were I Kanye, and actually is probably why he even gave a shit about it afterwards. The backlash from his peers, not the public.
I've always said this about any artist involved in controversy is if the music is good. I remember Janet Jackson's Super Bowl nipplegate and she had an album come out about 2 months later and the music was not good at all. SHe probably should have pushed it back a few months. Maybe that would have helped but the quality of music sucked.

I have always liked Kanye's music so hopefully for him if he makes quality music this incident won't hurt his sales. As far as it hurting his peers most of the people that commented on it were people that he probably wouldn't work with to begin with.

Last edited by bootsy; 09-18-09 at 02:25 PM.
Old 09-18-09, 02:36 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
Off topic I know but why does everyone (not just here but everywhere) only talk about when Madonna kissed Brittney? She kissed Christina Aguilera immediately after Brittney but no one seems to remember that? Madonna kissed them both during that performance.
Two reasons IMO:

1. Britney has always been a bigger "star/celebrity" than Christina.....Aguilera may clearly be the better vocalist, but Spears has always gotten more press....

2. Britney was kissed first, then the camera cut to Justin Timberlake for a reaction shot....by the time the cameras cut back to the stage, the kiss with Christina was finishing up so the TV audience did not see the whole thing clearly...
Old 09-18-09, 02:47 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,181 Likes on 834 Posts

Old 09-18-09, 03:27 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by TallGuyMe

Old 09-18-09, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by WMAangel
Two reasons IMO:

1. Britney has always been a bigger "star/celebrity" than Christina.....Aguilera may clearly be the better vocalist, but Spears has always gotten more press....

2. Britney was kissed first, then the camera cut to Justin Timberlake for a reaction shot....by the time the cameras cut back to the stage, the kiss with Christina was finishing up so the TV audience did not see the whole thing clearly...
Yeah, I know. Poor Christina has unjustly had to play second fiddle to Brittney her whole career.
Old 09-19-09, 08:13 AM
TGM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 401 Likes on 250 Posts

http://kanyelicious.appspot.com/http://www.dvdtalk.com/
Old 09-20-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by superfro

see the post above, it was all staged. he might go to "rehab" but i think that's played out for the media attention. next year him and Taylor will probably do a Crossroads show together
Old 09-21-09, 06:46 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Originally Posted by al_bundy
You do realize that Annie Liebowitz (the photographer) is in critical chapter 11 bankruptcy right? She blew all her money on expensive real estate and sold off the rights of her entire lifetime body of work.

Last edited by Mabuse; 09-21-09 at 06:50 PM.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.