Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Another Kanye West meltdown - VMA 2009

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Another Kanye West meltdown - VMA 2009

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-09, 03:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Another Kanye West meltdown - VMA 2009

looking fwd to Taylor re-releasing her Fearless album. I think after he gave her the mic back, she should've just smiled at the audience and said "thank you."

That was sooo sweet of Beyonce to let her re-do her speech. I loved that!
Old 09-14-09, 03:45 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Think how different we all would've reacted had it been Taylor Hicks.
Old 09-14-09, 03:46 PM

Received 122 Likes on 84 Posts

Originally Posted by superfro
Think how different we all would've reacted had it been Taylor Hicks.
The audience would have sat in stunned silence. One person would start clapping slowly, and others would gradually join in until it turned into a huge standing ovation for Kanye.
Old 09-14-09, 03:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 347 Likes on 247 Posts

<embed src="http://media.mtvnservices.com/mgid:cms:item:southparkstudios.com:224099" width="480" height="400" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="window" flashVars="autoPlay=false&dist=popwatch.ew.com&orig=" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" allownetworking="all" bgcolor="#000000"></embed>
Old 09-14-09, 05:27 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Here are a few choice comments from artists. Not a lot of love for West right now:
Katy Perry (via Twitter): F*** U KANYE. IT'S LIKE U STEPPED 0N A KITTEN

Pink (via Twitter and "The Today Show"): Pink tweeted that West was "a douche bag" last night. This morning, she performed "Please Don't Leave Me" on "The Today Show," but not before blasting West a little bit more: " I just think he's an idiot. He's just a waste. He's just a toolbox," she told Matt Lauer. "He's getting exactly what he wants. Peple are talking about him."

John Mayer (via Twitter) Big love to my girl @taylorswift13. A class act.

Reba McEntire (via Twitter) : So proud of Taylor winning last night at the VMA's!!!! Way to go girl!!!!! Lesson to all of us to keep a firm grip on the microphone

Lady Antebellum (via Twitter): I wish people knew when to keep their mouth shut! Love you T!! ~hills

and the best from Kelly Clarkson (via her website):
Dear Kanye,
What happened to you as a child?? Did you not get hugged enough?? Something must have happened to make you this way and I think we're all just curious as to what would make a grown man go on national television and make a talented artist, let alone teenager, feel like shit. I mean, I've seen you do some pretty shitty things, but you just keep amazing me with your tactless, asshole ways. It's absolutely fascinating how much I don't like you. I like everyone. I even like my asshole ex that cheated on me over you...which is pretty odd since I don't even personally know you. The best part of this evening is that you weren't even up for THIS award and yet you still have a problem with the outcome. Is winning a moon man that much of a life goal?? You can have mine if it will shut you up. Is it that important, really??

I was actually nominated in the same category that Taylor won and I was excited for her...so why can't you be?? I'm not even mad at you for being an asshole...I just pity you because you're a sad human being.

On a side note, Beyonce has always been a class act and proved again tonight that she still is. Go TEXAS!!

Taylor Swift, you outsell him ....that's why he's bitter. You know I love your work! Keep it up girl!

KC
Old 09-14-09, 05:30 PM

I don't think it was enough that they booed him. He obviously dosen't care about whether he's liked or not as long as he gets publicity. Ithink if he has any concerts coming up, at least one month of his shows should've been canceled so he can see how it feels to not have money coming in and not have fans around. Protesters should go to his shows and make a big deal out of this. He shoulden't be allowed to get away with this crap! Someone needs to do someting about it and get the piont across or else it's going to get worse with him.

P.S. When I posted earlier I felt very strongly about agreeing with the peeps here who said he should be beaten up. Part of me agrees with that but then I felt guilty about my earlier statement so I thought I'd collect my thoughts, watch the continuous Headline News coverage of this, and re-post here.
Old 09-14-09, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Here are a few choice comments from artists. Not a lot of love for West right now:
Katy Perry (via Twitter): F*** U KANYE. IT'S LIKE U STEPPED 0N A KITTEN

Dear Kanye,
What happened to you as a child?? Did you not get hugged enough?? Something must have happened to make you this way and I think we're all just curious as to what would make a grown man go on national television and make a talented artist, let alone teenager, feel like shit. I mean, I've seen you do some pretty shitty things, but you just keep amazing me with your tactless, asshole ways. It's absolutely fascinating how much I don't like you. I like everyone. I even like my asshole ex that cheated on me over you...which is pretty odd since I don't even personally know you. The best part of this evening is that you weren't even up for THIS award and yet you still have a problem with the outcome. Is winning a moon man that much of a life goal?? You can have mine if it will shut you up. Is it that important, really??

I was actually nominated in the same category that Taylor won and I was excited for her...so why can't you be?? I'm not even mad at you for being an asshole...I just pity you because you're a sad human being.

On a side note, Beyonce has always been a class act and proved again tonight that she still is. Go TEXAS!!

Taylor Swift, you outsell him ....that's why he's bitter. You know I love your work! Keep it up girl!

KC

Out of all the celebrity tweets, I thought Katy's was the most direct and memorable of the shorter comments. I haden't read Kelly's comments befor but it just makes me think.... All of his stunts will obviously end up on YouTube and then in the future when he's no longer with us, newscasters will report the good and the bad times of his - so it's just more stuff to add to his resume.
Old 09-14-09, 06:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Kanye lives, and Michael Jackson died. It's a cruel world.
Old 09-14-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

imagine the out cry if a white dude did this to a black chick.!

Old 09-14-09, 08:00 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by bigjim25
Dear Kanye,

KC
That is awesome.
Old 09-14-09, 08:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Staged
Old 09-14-09, 08:14 PM

Originally Posted by kristina
Out of all the celebrity tweets, I thought Katy's was the most direct and memorable of the shorter comments. I haden't read Kelly's comments befor but it just makes me think.... All of his stunts will obviously end up on YouTube and then in the future when he's no longer with us, newscasters will report the good and the bad times of his - so it's just more stuff to add to his resume.

I'll be really surprised if him being "no longer with us" will be newsworthy...
Old 09-14-09, 08:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy28

You're the VERY FIRST PERSON to point this out.

Incidentally, given the vociferous response level to Kanye's outburst, do you REALLY think if the races were reversed, there'd be that much of a discernible difference?
Old 09-14-09, 08:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 289 Likes on 210 Posts

From EW:

Kanye West tells Jay Leno he 'took something away from a talented artist' at VMAs

by Lynette Rice

A contrite and visibly shaken Kanye West spoke to Jay Leno for the debut of the comedian’s primetime show Monday. During the pretaped hour that will air later this evening, West – dressed in all black – expressed regret for interrupting Taylor Swift’s acceptance speech at the MTV Video Music Awards on Sunday and said what so many viewers have been feeling in the last 24 hours: “it was rude.”

West’s appearance on Leno’s premiere was booked weeks ago, but the affable host opened the second half of his show by saying it was West who asked to say a few words (Leno began his opening monologue with a softball joke about West and Swift sharing a root beer with President Obama in the White House but otherwise stuck with mostly stale jokes about the cash for clunkers program and former President Bush). The rapper began his impromptu interview by saying it was “extremely difficult to deal with the fact that I hurt someone and took something away from a talented artist.” Then, in a particularly somber moment, Leno asked what West’s deceased mother would think about what he said to Swift. Suddenly, the normally outspoken rapper couldn’t speak – but his silence spoke volumes, so much that Leno attempted to break the uncomfortable pause by resting his hand on West’s knee. After about 15 seconds, West mumbled, “Anything I can do to help Taylor,” before announcing that he’ll take some time off to reevaluate his career. West then got up to perform with Rihanna and Jay-Z.
Old 09-14-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

While I can't stand him, this man is brilliant. He is constantly in the spotlight, and people are always talking about him. He knows damn full and well what he is doing, and how he will "apologize" afterward. The people running the award shows have to know what is going to happen, otherwise there would be people in place to stop him. Things like this get viewers, as well as more attention to the fact that the awards shows are still going.

To hell with him, though.
Old 09-14-09, 09:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think Kanye should've rephrased saying "Beyonce's song was the only actually good song nominated in that category. How did it NOT win?"

I'm not a big Geyonce fan, but I'd rather listen to her than any of the others that were in that category. When I saw and heard the other nominees, it was painful to see how bad music has gotten.....
Old 09-14-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 23 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by mndtrp
While I can't stand him, this man is brilliant. He is constantly in the spotlight, and people are always talking about him. He knows damn full and well what he is doing, and how he will "apologize" afterward. The people running the award shows have to know what is going to happen, otherwise there would be people in place to stop him. Things like this get viewers, as well as more attention to the fact that the awards shows are still going.

To hell with him, though.
After just watching his Leno interview, it seems that he knew he fucked up big time last night. Sounds to me like he's having a hard time dealing with the fame and the success.

Regardless, you're also right. The man knows what he's doing, and if your name is in the headlines, well...$$$
Old 09-14-09, 09:50 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by tommy28

You joke, but if Kanye had done this to another R&B/Rap artist....there wouldn't be 2 threads of outrage. 1 would've been enough.

Lesson here? Don't fuck over Young Pretty White Girls. The World will turn on you something fierce.
Old 09-14-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Lesson here? Don't fuck over Young Pretty White Girls. The World will turn on you something fierce.
Oh A-fucking-MEN. No matter what/when/how/why/where the situation, if a big drunken sweaty black guy gets in the face of a pretty young white girl, I don't care if it's 1809 or 2009, it's motherfucking Birth of a Nation all over again.

Of course, this time around people of every race/ethnicity wanna lynch the douchewad.
Old 09-15-09, 01:12 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

What I want to know is: Where's the outrage at Lil Mama for crashing the stage during the Jay-Z/Alicia Keys performance?
As if anyone wanted to see her dumb ass try and act like she deserves to share the stage with them....
Old 09-15-09, 02:17 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Fuck him he's a Bigot. A big gay fish bigot.
Old 09-15-09, 02:45 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
You joke, but if Kanye had done this to another R&B/Rap artist....there wouldn't be 2 threads of outrage. 1 would've been enough.

I don't know. Just a lot of bad buzz on the internet. No one is boycotting his music or burning his CDs. As is often the case in music, there is no such thing as bad publicity.
Old 09-15-09, 08:54 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

www.teefury.com
Old 09-15-09, 08:58 AM
DVD Talk Hero

So wrong and so funny .
Old 09-15-09, 09:10 AM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas
After just watching his Leno interview, it seems that he knew he fucked up big time last night. Sounds to me like he's having a hard time dealing with the fame and the success.

Regardless, you're also right. The man knows what he's doing, and if your name is in the headlines, well...$$$
I've always believed that Kayne is amazingly creative but emotionally unbalanced and that his mother's death has sent him completely over the edge. He's always pulled stunts like this but usually it has to do with his not winning an award. Why is he pissy over the FEMALE video of the year? He wasn't nominated. I doubt Beyonce cared--she's got dozens of VMAs at this point. What motivated Kanye to push around Taylor Swift is beyond me--other than that bottle of cognac he was carrying around before the show.

All signs point to him going into rehab shortly. And when he comes out, he'll release another album and make millions with his comeback. Kanye's crazy but he understands how to keep us focused on him. Give credit where it's due, I suppose.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.