Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Album by Album Thread featuring: The Beatles!

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Album by Album Thread featuring: The Beatles!

Old 12-07-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Album by Album Thread featuring: The Beatles!

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Sgt. Pepper is not the best album of all time, the best psychedelic album of all time, or the best album of the 60's. But it's the most important psychedelic/60's album.
I know the rolling stones take at psychedelia, satanic majesties, gets a lot of crap but I honestly prefer that even to Sgt Pepper. Sure there's some bad songs on there but the good ones more than make up for it.

Last edited by statcat; 12-07-09 at 05:03 PM.
Old 08-30-10, 11:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 524 Likes on 319 Posts

Sorry to revive, but anyone have any interest in keeping this going? Or to talk about other Beatle minutiae like mono/stereo or Capitol/Parlaphone variants?
Old 08-30-10, 11:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sure...
Old 08-31-10, 08:47 AM

I guess nobody cares about the White Album or Abbey Road?

I love The Beatles. I grew up with the cartoons, Yellow Submarine and the other movies, and my sister's beat-up copy of Yesterday and Today (Never found out if she had the butcher cover or not as the cover was gone and the label had crayon scribblings all over it allegedly done by an infant me), and even though I choose not to quantify the records the same way that Rolling Stone does so with their '100 Greatest songs by the Beatles' list, I do think that the UK albums are infinitely better than the US albums ever were in both content and sound quality, and it was so nice to hear a clean proper version of "She's A Woman" on the radio after hearing that horrible reverb-drenched fake stereo mix that Capitol was offering as the only way for Americans to hear it for a couple of decades.

I love all of the albums. Yes, some are better than others, but I liken Please Please Me and the rest of the 1st 5 records as very tasty hors d'oeuvres (pigs-in-blankets, especially in mind) before the main course, which is basically a huge Thanksgiving feast that includes everything from Rubber Soul to Abbey Road. I haven't yet decided which one qualifies as the turkey! And in this case, turkey is good, not bad like the Golden Turkey Awards for bad movies. And I guess Let It Be would be peach cobbler.

And I love the remasters.
I might be alone in saying I wish they had done either single discs with bonus tracks or deluxe editions with the mono and stereo masters together with bonus material.
Would have been awesome if they were able to release on CD the master of the original mono mix of 'Tomorrow Never Knows' with the crazier mixing on the guitar solo intercut with the loops
Old 08-31-10, 03:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I only discontinued this because the responses we're getting fewer and far between with every album.

Since there is renewed interest:

The Beatles

Original Release Date: November 22, 1968

Tracklisting:

Disc 1
1 Back In The U.S.S.R.
2 Dear Prudence
3 Glass Onion
4 Ob-La-Di, Ob-La-Da
5 Wild Honey Pie
6 The Continuing Story Of Bungalow Bill
7 While My Guitar Gently Weeps
8 Happiness Is A Warm Gun
9 Martha My Dear
10 I'm So Tired
11 Blackbird
12 Piggies
13 Rocky Racoon
14 Don't Pass Me By
15 Why Don't We Do It In The Road?
16 I Will
17 Julia

Disc 2
1 Birthday
2 Yer Blues
3 Mother Nature's Son
4 Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey
5 Sexy Sadie
6 Helter Skelter
7 Long, Long, Long
8 Revolution 1
9 Honey Pie
10 Savoy Truffle
11 Cry Baby Cry
12 Revolution 9
13 Good Night
Old 08-31-10, 03:47 PM
Banned by request

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

This album is so goddamned good. Crazy, freewheeling, strange, and easily one of the best albums the group recorded. George Harrison really shines on this one, with not only "While My Guitar Gently Weeps" but also "Piggies," "Savoy Truffle," and my personal favorite, "Long Long Long." Lennon also has some greats, including "Yer Blues," "Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except For Me And My Monkey," and "Sexy Sadie."

This was the beginning of the end for the band, as diverging interestings splintered the group (Ringo even quit for two days during the sessions), but the tension serves to drive the band to great heights.
Old 08-31-10, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I love the White Album. So many different moods in it's songs. I remember George Martin talking about it in particular it's length and basically saying would you rather have it trimmed to a single record or as is with all it's "flaws". I certainly love it just as it is. Features some of my most loved Beatles songs (Happiness Is a Warm Gun, Mother Nature's Son, While My Guitar Gently Weeps) .

Sure it would have been a killer single album, but i think it's held it's own as a double
Old 08-31-10, 05:01 PM
Banned by request

Abbey Road is a perfect album. The White Album is one of those crazy experience albums, like Exile On Main St or Sign O' The Times, where half the fun is getting this kaleidoscopic range of songs.
Old 08-31-10, 05:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

OK I'll do this, as I really don't feel like doing code review.

The Beatles is a magnificent bastard of an album, a disparate, chaotic masterpiece of four people who want little-to-nothing to do with each other, recorded (for the most part) separate from each other, filled with self-indulgent nonsense and non-sequiturs and filler and yet somehow becomes greater because of it. It is just as much (if not more) a statement ABOUT The Beatles as it is a statement FROM The Beatles. Perhaps more than any other album in their catalog, the White Album demands an understanding of the context in which it was recorded in order to fully understand and appreciate it. That sounds pretentious and obnoxious as hell, and maybe it is, but this album is the culmination of the loss of Brian Epstein, the failure of the Magical Mystery Tour movie, and their dalliances with the Maharishi. It's the energy and creative anarchy of Mom & Dad screaming at each other at the dinner table months before the separation, the trial reconciliation, and the eventual divorce.

Many people will claim somewhere inside this bloated double album is the Beatles' finest single album. While I empathize, I heartily disagree. The White Album is showcasing The Beatles lack of a single unifying vision, and that deficiency ends up being their single unifying vision.

There's something for everyone here. Straight out rock (Back in the USSR, Birthday, Yer Blues, Everybody's Got Something To Hide Except Me And My Monkey, Helter Skelter, I'm So Tired, While My Guitar Gently Weeps), acoustic folk (Dear Prudence, Blackbird, Rocky Racoon, Mother Nature's Son, Cry Baby Cry, Revolution 1, Julia), infectious pop trifles (Ob-La-Di Ob-La Da, Martha My Dear, I Will, Savoy Truffle), vintage throwbacks (Honey Pie, Good Night, Piggies), personal exhibitionism (Glass Onion, Happiness Is A Warm Gun, Sexy Sadie, Long, Long, Long), and then some McCartney wankisms (Wild Honey Pie, Why Don't We Do It In The Road), a testament to the strength of Ringo's songwriting skills (Don't Pass Me By), and perhaps their biggest WTF moment on a studio album ever (Revolution 9).

This album is all over the place. And despite the chaos, it flows breezily from start to finish. It doesn't care whether or not you like it or get it, and because of its liberation from expectations there's a distinct lack of self-consciousness throughout. Moreso than Sgt. Pepper, the White Album is a conceptual listening experience because it doesn't set out to be one.

OK that's all great, but what about the songs?

Well, quite frankly, most of them are superb. We're talking acknowledged overplayed classics (USSR, Helter Skelter, Blackbird, While My Guitar), underappreciated gems (Warm Gun, Yer Blues, Me & My Monkey, Dear Prudence, Mother Nature's Son, I Will, Savoy Truffle, Martha My Dear, Glass Onion, I'm So Tired), cute throwaway tracks (Rocky Raccoon, Bungalow Bill, Ob-La-Di), some filler (Yer Blues, Long, Long, Long, Sexy Sadie, Piggies) and some tracks I never have to hear again (Don;t Pass Me By, Revolution 9, Wild Honey Pie). But I love this album for everything it's trying to be. Which, pretty much, is nothing.

On a Beatles scale, The Beatles gets 4.5 out of 5.
Old 08-31-10, 07:15 PM

I always enjoy The Beatles in its entirety, and I admit sometimes I skip 'R9'. I used to skip it more frequently when it scared me, but now I skip it when I play the Mono mix of the album because it's just a fold-down on that album anyway.

Love Sides 1-3 all the way through. Side 4 is the imperfect part of the record (OMG, never thought I'd say that about a Beatle record!), and if it weren't for 'Honey Pie' and 'Savoy Truffle', it'd be like a dead side of filler and experimentation (Kind of like what some of The Clash's Sandinista! ended up being), even though what qualifies as filler for the Beatles would probably be the greatest music ever if it were recorded by Coldplay or Kings of Leon.

Every time I get to 'Don't Pass Me By', 'Everybody's Got Something...', or 'Helter Skelter', I like to repeat them when the disc ends (It alternates between 'HS' and 'EGSTH' when I have disc 2 on)

Last edited by HUG-H; 08-31-10 at 08:52 PM.
Old 08-31-10, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
This album is all over the place. And despite the chaos, it flows breezily from start to finish. It doesn't care whether or not you like it or get it, and because of its liberation from expectations there's a distinct lack of self-consciousness throughout. Moreso than Sgt. Pepper, the White Album is a conceptual listening experience because it doesn't set out to be one.

Great review. Much more articulate than whatever jumble of words I was going to type out.
Old 08-31-10, 11:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Fist of Doom View Post

Great review. Much more articulate than whatever jumble of words I was going to type out.
Thanks

Anyway, according to the always great and awesome Usenet Guide to Beatles Recording Variations, here are some notable differences between the mono and stereo versions of The Beatles (White Album):

DON'T PASS ME BY: "Mono runs faster, and it has more fiddle throughout the song, and different fiddle at the end. The fiddle at the end of stereo seems to a repeat of a bit of the chorus. The edit added the intro."

EVERYBODY'S GOT SOMETHING TO HIDE EXCEPT ME AND MY MONKEY: "The screaming after "come on" in the last verse is different."

OB-LA-DI, OB-LA-DA: "The mono lacks handclaps in the intro, heard in [the stereo]."

GOOD NIGHT: "Stereo fades in; [mono] does not. "

SEXY SADIE: "Stereo has an extra tap at the start. Mono lacks bass until the vocal starts. "

BACK IN THE U.S.S.R.: "The plane sound effects differ... Mono has louder piano, a yell after the opening plane sound, and drumbeats under the closing plane sound. Stereo has extra guitar chords at the start of the solo, and shouts and piano during the guitar solo."

HELTER SKELTER: "The basic song runs about 3:10 to a pause shortly after Paul's distorted vocal, too close to the microphone. Mono then is edited into more of the same take, with sound effects noises, and fades at 3:36. Stereo is edited instead to a different part of the take, fading out and then back in again, with another edit, ending finally at 4:29 after Ringo shouts "I've got blisters on my fingers!"."

GLASS ONION: "The edit adds the end orchestral piece. Stereo is lacking Paul's added vocal "oh yeah" at the end of the break."

I WILL: The "bass" (vocal) starts later in mono, after the first verse."
Of course much more to be found at the website which I'm not going to copy verbatim here, but needless to say listening to The White Album in mono has some pretty noticeable sonic differences. I generally prefer the mono recording, but with caveats as I grew up with the stereo "Helter Skelter" and really miss the opening claps to to "Ob-La-Di". On the other hand, the sped-up mono version of "Don't Pass Me Buy" is superior, as (a) Ringo on helium sounds more confident and a little comical, and (b) the song is over faster.
Old 08-31-10, 11:50 PM
Banned by request

I definitely prefer the stereo version. The mono is interesting but not, imo, the better experience.
Old 09-01-10, 08:37 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Overall it's not a night-and-day, hugely stark difference between the two -- despite the noticeable differences -- but I still like the punchier mono a tad more.
Old 09-01-10, 09:06 AM

I love "Don't Pass Me By", so, I don't want it to be over faster!

I don't think I really have a preference to mono or stereo per se, but I love that there's 2 different ways to hear the records. Then there's the worldwide variants on mixes of individual songs, like the hi-hat taps on "All My Loving", the extra measure on "And I Love Her", the 2 seconds of studio sound on the "I Feel Fine" intro or the extra trumpet riff on the end of "Penny Lane", etc.

The Usenet Guide page is really cool (I've had it bookmarked forever), but it'd be nice to see the guy update it again for the 2009 remasters.

Last edited by HUG-H; 09-01-10 at 09:15 AM.
Old 09-01-10, 10:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

I don't know about you all, but I love all my Beatles recordings in sharply separated stereo and absolutely DRENCHED in reverb.
Old 09-08-10, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Going to lump these together...

Yellow Submarine

Original Release Date: January 13, 1969

Tracklisting:

1 Yellow Submarine
2 Only A Northern Song
3 All Together Now
4 Hey Bulldog
5 It's All Too Much
6 All You Need Is Love
7 Pepperland
8 Sea Of Time
9 Sea Of Holes
10 Sea Of Monsters
11 March Of The Meanies
12 Pepperland Laid Waist
13 Yellow Submarine In Pepperland

Abbey Road

Original Release Date: September 26, 1969

Tracklisting:

1 Come Together
2 Something
3 Maxwell's Silver Hammer
4 Oh! Darling
5 Octopus's Garden
6 I Want You (She's So Heavy)
7 Here Comes The Sun
8 Because
9 You Never Give Me Your Money
10 Sun King
11 Mean Mr. Mustard
12 Polythene Pam
13 She Came In Through The Bathroom Window
14 Golden Slumbers
15 Carry That Weight
16 The End
17 Her Majesty
Old 09-08-10, 02:31 PM
Banned by request

If I had to pick one single Beatles album as the only one I can hear for the rest of my life, it would be Abbey Road.
Old 09-08-10, 03:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank God they didn't continue the direction of their first couple albums and started doing drugs and going on retreats. The Beatles really started to hit their stride with Revolver and Rubber Soul. They still had their feet in bubblegum crap but you could see them starting to expand their musical prowess and lyrics. Before those two albums, the Beatles were a basic bubblegum pop band with limited musical skills and shitty production.

The White Album, Abbey Road, and Sgt. Peppers are their masterpieces.

Revolver, Rubber Soul, Let it Be and Magical Mystery Tour are near masterpieces.

Overall I think that the White Album was their best.
Old 09-08-10, 07:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I'd argue for Revolver or Rubber Soul over Sgt. Pepper any day of the week. Can't argue with The White Album or Abbey Road. Those plus the aforementioned two are The Beatles gold standards.
Old 09-08-10, 07:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 34 Likes on 24 Posts

Was Magical Mystery Tour skipped? That's my favorite.
Old 09-08-10, 08:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I did a writeup and left it on my office PC. Poop.
Old 09-08-10, 08:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by cdollaz View Post
Was Magical Mystery Tour skipped? That's my favorite.
Shit!

Magical Mystery Tour

Original Release Date: November 27, 1967

Tracklisting:

1 Magical Mystery Tour
2 The Fool On The Hill
3 Flying
4 Blue Jay Way
5 Your Mother Should Know
6 I Am The Walrus
7 Hello, Goodbye
8 Strawberry Fields Forever
9 Penny Lane
10 Baby You're A Rich Man
11 All You Need Is Love
Old 09-08-10, 09:20 PM
Banned by request

I hate this album! Why did you include it?!

No, seriously. This one's OK. A step back from Sgt. Pepper, but the highlights (Strawberry Fields, Penny Lane, I Am The Walrus) are among the band's best. Blue Jay Way and Flying are two of their worst songs, though.

It is worth noting that this was originally released in the UK as two EP's, consisting of tracks 1-7. When it was released in America, Capitol records added several singles to the end of it, creating the album we know today. When the catalog was released on CD, EMI conformed to this and it's now an official Beatles release.
Old 09-08-10, 09:27 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Blue Jay Way and Flying are two of their worst songs, though.
Yep MMT works best for me as a singles comp and those two songs kill the pace. Ugh.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.