Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

The KINKS Appreciate Thread

Old 08-25-09, 01:17 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Re: The KINKS Appreciate Thread

The earliest Kinks' show I saw was back in 1974 and Ray was rocking his ass back then. I've never seen a Kinks' show where the performance was "phoned in" and I've seen them in some less than stellar venues.
Old 08-26-09, 12:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by wendersfan View Post
Everything from Face To Face through Muswell Hillbillies is a masterpiece, IMO.
Old 02-15-11, 06:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Just got introduced to Village Green Preservation Society this thing is addicting, I listen to it on the way to work, I listen to it while working, I listen to it with headphones while I'm sleeping!
Old 02-16-11, 11:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by nando820 View Post
Just got introduced to Village Green Preservation Society this thing is addicting, I listen to it on the way to work, I listen to it while working, I listen to it with headphones while I'm sleeping!
Village Green is just one of those albums that defies description. The feel of it alone elevates it to one of the Top 5 greatest albums of the 60s... maybe of all time. It's a concept album in the best sense of the word... no big loud stupid storyline, no bloated conceits, no lumbering bombast, just a warm dedication to the simple pleasures of English pastoral living set to timeless music.

I even love "Phenomenal Cat". I have no idea why.

The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society >>> Sgt Pepper's and Pet Sounds, COMBINED
Old 02-16-11, 11:08 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Speaking of which, any interest an Album by Album thread? Anyone wanna run it?
Old 02-17-11, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Even Pete Townshend has said he conseiders Davies a better songwriter than he is.
I think Pete is being modest.
Old 02-17-11, 10:08 AM

Love The Kinks. So underrated in the U.S.
Old 02-17-11, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Village Green is just one of those albums that defies description. The feel of it alone elevates it to one of the Top 5 greatest albums of the 60s... maybe of all time. It's a concept album in the best sense of the word... no big loud stupid storyline, no bloated conceits, no lumbering bombast, just a warm dedication to the simple pleasures of English pastoral living set to timeless music.

I even love "Phenomenal Cat". I have no idea why.

The Kinks are The Village Green Preservation Society >>> Sgt Pepper's and Pet Sounds, COMBINED
Definitely something else.
I never been a huge fan Sgt. Pepper I take Magical Mystery Tour, The White Album and Abbey Road over Sgt Pepper any day. I do love Pet Sounds but Village Green Preservation seems to have more nuances and it feels more real too so that's probably an accurate statement.
Old 02-17-11, 02:59 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

sure I'd get slack for saying this but even Satanic Majesties Request is more interesting and better than Sgt Pepper in my opinion. It kills me that there's so much great 60s music and people just want to listen to beatles, beatles, beatles over and over.
Old 02-17-11, 04:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
sure I'd get slack for saying this but even Satanic Majesties Request is more interesting and better than Sgt Pepper in my opinion. It kills me that there's so much great 60s music and people just want to listen to beatles, beatles, beatles over and over.
While I understand the notion that certain 60s bands get the lion's share of attention from the industry and fans... who exactly is doing that? Listening to "beatles, beatles, beatles over and over"? Sounds like you got an axe to grind...
Old 02-17-11, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat View Post
Does it really kill you?

I'd be willing to bet the 60s music is the most listened to decade of music of all time. And it's not just the Beatles.
Old 02-17-11, 04:20 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

music journalists, music fans, but it's to be expected since they were the biggest thing back then, unfortunately so many other groups got lost in the shuffle
Old 02-17-11, 09:32 PM

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy View Post
Speaking of which, any interest an Album by Album thread? Anyone wanna run it?
I would participate, but I probably won't be able to join for an album or three
Old 02-20-11, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by cungar View Post
Does it really kill you?

I'd be willing to bet the 60s music is the most listened to decade of music of all time. And it's not just the Beatles.
missed your reply,

I just find it pretty sad that a lot of music is largely forgotten/ignored and I really disagree that it's the most listened to era. What do you hear mainly on the radio as far as rock music? It's mostly 70s and later. Post a thread here about the yardbirds, pretty things, the action, etc. and watch it sink. A lot of people don't listen to anything in the 60s outside of just extremely popular acts. Hell even Vh1 classic at one time had a 60s music video block but they got rid of that in favor of more metal mania and 80s videos.
Old 02-20-11, 01:28 PM

The Kinks have their own thing, entirely, as do The Beatles, The Who and The Stones. It's unfair to compare them in way that you want to measure who has the better music or better or stronger records (For the record, I do also love The Beatles and The Who and have some respect for the Stones, for some of their music, but I couldn't possibly rank these 4 bands in a poll other than putting the Beatles at #1). They all have different methods of music and record making (Although Shel Talmy produced both The Who and The Kinks for a time), and they all have aspects that stand out in such a characteristic way.
Those early records by The Kinks from 1964-1970 all have this really rough, dry sound that feels so real-Scratchy guitars, scratchy vocals, whether it's "You Really Got Me" or it's VGPS or Arthur. Maybe it was just on the cheap, but sometimes there's just something to that, and it only makes a stronger impression.

I didn't really care as much for the records that came later, though I did have a copy of the 1980 live album One For The Road (I always thought they were trying to correct the written-over cover title that Lynryd Skynyrd used for their live album ), which, even though their studio music had improved from the mostly non-impressive early 70's and they were enjoying a comeback with Low Budget, doesn't sound as exciting to hear now.

Last edited by HUG-H; 02-20-11 at 02:00 PM.
Old 02-20-11, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Shel Talmy produced my favorite kinks recordings. He produced other acts that should of been bigger too (the creation, the easybeats)
Old 02-21-11, 08:48 AM
DVD Talk Hero

I don't usually like "tribute" albums but this one is pretty damned good, if you ask me.
This Is Where I Belong: The Songs of Ray Davies & The Kinks
Old 02-21-11, 09:22 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by CRM114 View Post
I don't usually like "tribute" albums but this one is pretty damned good, if you ask me.
This Is Where I Belong: The Songs of Ray Davies & The Kinks
Yeah that's a pretty great tribute.

Last edited by cungar; 02-21-11 at 10:06 AM.
Old 02-22-11, 01:13 AM

If you just want a really good compilation, The Ultimate Collection is also recommended.
Old 04-03-11, 08:30 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Heads up, mutha fuchas! Deluxe editions of Face To Face, Something Else, Arthur: etc. etc., and Muswell Hillbillies are arriving on 6/6/2011!

Only available in the UK, but I am in for the lot!
Old 04-03-11, 08:40 PM
Banned by request

I'm definitely in for Face To Face, Something Else, and Muswell Hillbillies. Oh, who am I kidding? I'll get all four.
Old 04-03-11, 09:19 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I want to know why I can't find the studio recording of Picture Book on iTunes.
Old 04-03-11, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Um, I already got a "deluxe" edition (though w/o that banner) of Muswell (and Arthur), with all those extra songs, years ago.
Old 04-04-11, 03:05 AM
sb5
DVD Talk Special Edition

Yeah, I don't get it. These are exactly the same tracklistings as the currently in-print 2008 UK releases (except with the DE banner). And Muswell Hillbillies is the same as the US release.

They are still in print and available from Amazon UK for about 5-6 pounds a piece, so I don't see a point in even waiting for these "new" releases, unless there's something that isn't being listed for some reason (or you love DE banners).
Old 04-04-11, 09:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by bluetoast View Post
I want to know why I can't find the studio recording of Picture Book on iTunes.
Apparently, the Kinks prime albums aren't available digitally anywhere.

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.