DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The KINKS Appreciate Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/560011-kinks-appreciate-thread.html)

statcat 02-20-11 01:39 PM

Re: The KINKS Appreciate Thread

Shel Talmy produced my favorite kinks recordings. He produced other acts that should of been bigger too (the creation, the easybeats)

CRM114 02-21-11 08:48 AM

I don't usually like "tribute" albums but this one is pretty damned good, if you ask me.
This Is Where I Belong: The Songs of Ray Davies & The Kinks

cungar 02-21-11 09:22 AM

Originally Posted by CRM114 (Post 10648136)
I don't usually like "tribute" albums but this one is pretty damned good, if you ask me.
This Is Where I Belong: The Songs of Ray Davies & The Kinks

Yeah that's a pretty great tribute.

HUG-H 02-22-11 01:13 AM

If you just want a really good compilation, The Ultimate Collection is also recommended.

Hokeyboy 04-03-11 08:30 PM

Heads up, mutha fuchas! Deluxe editions of Face To Face, Something Else, Arthur: etc. etc., and Muswell Hillbillies are arriving on 6/6/2011!

Only available in the UK, but I am in for the lot! :up:

Supermallet 04-03-11 08:40 PM

I'm definitely in for Face To Face, Something Else, and Muswell Hillbillies. Oh, who am I kidding? I'll get all four.

bluetoast 04-03-11 09:19 PM

I want to know why I can't find the studio recording of Picture Book on iTunes. :(

slop101 04-03-11 10:03 PM

Um, I already got a "deluxe" edition (though w/o that banner) of Muswell (and Arthur), with all those extra songs, years ago.

sb5 04-04-11 03:05 AM

Yeah, I don't get it. These are exactly the same tracklistings as the currently in-print 2008 UK releases (except with the DE banner). And Muswell Hillbillies is the same as the US release.

They are still in print and available from Amazon UK for about 5-6 pounds a piece, so I don't see a point in even waiting for these "new" releases, unless there's something that isn't being listed for some reason (or you love DE banners).

CRM114 04-04-11 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by bluetoast (Post 10708679)
I want to know why I can't find the studio recording of Picture Book on iTunes. :(

Apparently, the Kinks prime albums aren't available digitally anywhere.

Hokeyboy 04-04-11 10:19 AM

As far as I know final specs haven't been released yet, but if they are rehashes that is pretty weak.

sb5 04-04-11 12:17 PM

Now that I've done a little bit of searching and seen the Deluxe Editions of the 1st three albums, it seems like these are going to be 2 CD sets with a lot more bonus material. I'm guessing they just ported over and/or didn't change the tracklistings from the old releases for the website for some reason.

Guess will have to wait and see what the new unreleased material is; I can't seem to find updated tracklists.

musick 06-26-18 01:14 PM

The Kinks to reunite: “I think it’s kind of an appropriate time to do it”
Ray Davis says the band is making a new album, plus they plan to play shows

https://consequenceofsound.net/2018/...time-to-do-it/

Geofferson 06-28-18 09:12 AM

:up: Ray's been hinting at this for a few years now, glad to finally get an official announcement.

I saw Dave in concert a couple months back. He can still play that guitar.

Ray has some more solo material coming out this summer to hold us over.

slop101 06-28-18 10:50 AM

Pretty stoked that this reunion involves new music from the band and not just some cynical cash-grab tour.

Geofferson 07-02-18 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13361989)
Pretty stoked that this reunion involves new music from the band and not just some cynical cash-grab tour.

Agreed. Ray already has a bunch of Kinks material written for this so I expect they'll hit Konk studios at some point in the near future.

Also, glad to hear they'll be touring. Ray has stepped away from touring in recent years.

Here's hoping Dave and Mick have settled their differences.

slop101 07-02-18 09:55 AM

Hope this means we'll also be getting a nice new re-issue of the Lola vs album on vinyl.

I don't think there's a more classic album that isn't readily available on vinyl than this one.

Geofferson 07-02-18 11:35 AM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13364290)
Hope this means we'll also be getting a nice new re-issue of the Lola vs album on vinyl.

I don't think there's a more classic album that isn't readily available on vinyl than this one.

Good call and wouldn't it be great if they finally recorded and released pt. 2 after all these years? What better way to form a comeback.

I have an early pressing - which I was able to have Dave sign - but a new repress would be welcome.

Geofferson 09-10-18 01:03 PM

FYI, Village Green 50th anniversary box set coming next month.

http://www.superdeluxeedition.com/ne...er-deluxe-box/

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society super deluxe box

Enormous 11-disc super deluxe edition • 2018 remasters • 174 tracks
BMG will issue a 50th anniversary edition of The Kinks‘ 1968 album The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society in October.

The band’s sixth studio album was originally issued in November ’68 and would be the last album by the original line-up (bass player Pete Quaife departed in early 1969). Describin the album today, Davies says it’s about “the ending of a time personally for me in my life. In my imaginary village. It’s the end of our innocence, our youth. Some people are quite old but in the Village Green, you’re never allowed to grow up. I feel the project itself as part of a life cycle.”

The super deluxe edition is a eleven-disc set, no less. It contains a double vinyl LP with stereo and mono versions (both 2018 remasters) and a 12-track ‘Continental’ (Swedish) version on vinyl.

In addition there are five CDs of content as described below:

CD1:
2018 Stereo Remaster, from the original HD tape transfers + bonus tracks of singles, B sides and original album related tracks
CD2:
2018 Mono Remaster, from the original HD tape transfers + bonus tracks of singles, B sides and original album related tracks
CD3:
Village Green Sessions – Including alternate versions, mixes and backing tracks, many previously unreleased
CD4:
Village Green At The BBC – TV performance track audio and band interviews, many previously unreleased
CD5:
Preservation, Sessions, Live & Demos – including mid 70s recordings, previously unreleased home demos, Ray Davies live in Denmark 2010 and unreleased track ‘Time Song’.
The three remaining discs are a trio of replica seven-inch singles, reproduced in picture sleeves. They are:

Days / She’s Got Everything (1968)
Starstruck / Picture Book (1968)
The Village Green Preservation Society / Do You Remember Walter? (1969)

There are 174 tracks in total (see full track listing at the bottom of this post) with “many previously unreleased tracks and versions”, including the previously unreleased track ‘Time Song’ which was performed by The Kinks at the Theatre Royal, Drury Lane in January 1973. This track was Davies’ commentary on the UK joining what was then called The Common Market. Ray says “This song was recorded a few weeks later but never made the final cut on the Preservation Act I album. Oddly enough, the song seems quite poignant and appropriate to release at this time in British history, and like Europe itself the track is a rough mix which still has to be finessed.” This track features in the box set and the 2CD edition.

The box set comes with a 52-page hardcover book with extensive sleeve notes and new band interviews and includes essays by Pete Townshend and other writers. It boasts “special packaging” with debossed box cover, foil & metallic text, linen cloth finish and a ‘bespoke accessories holder’.

It also comes with what we like to call ‘stuff’… broadly categorised as ‘memorabilia’. This includes a poster of Village Green LP inner gatefold; Empire Liverpool 1968 tour poster; glossy 10” x 8” photos from Hampstead Heath 1968 photoshoot; colour press photo with reproduced band signatures; Bournemouth 1968 gig ticket; PYE Records promo card; ‘Days’ sheet music etc.

The other three physical editions are a 2CD deluxe ‘art of the album’ which features the stereo and mono remasters and bonus tracks (49 tracks in total), plus single disc vinyl and CD versions with just the stereo remaster.

The Kinks Are The Village Green Preservation Society 50th anniversary editions are out on 26 October 2018. The UK box set price of 94 seems pretty good for all that content and with VAT deducted US fans can import this from the UK for almost exactly $100 + shipping (it’s not listed in the US at the moment).
Here's the unreleased track

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jOBjwkaW-T0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

slop101 09-10-18 01:12 PM

Eh, I'm happy with the 3 disc CD and the mono vinyl I already have - this would be mostly redundant.

Franchot 09-10-18 01:30 PM

Originally Posted by slop101 (Post 13405379)
Eh, I'm happy with the 3 disc CD and the mono vinyl I already have - this would be mostly redundant.

Agree. Now if this included a 5.1 surround sound mix I'd be very tempted to buy it.

Hokeyboy 09-10-18 07:51 PM

Love the 3-disc special edition. But VGPS is a Top 10 album for me. It's a sweet looking box.

Geofferson 09-12-18 11:49 AM

Two more 'unreleased' songs hit streaming services yesterday.

Misty Water (mono) - previously only released in stereo from the 2004 extended CD set
Starstruck - slightly alternate version, not terribly material