Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Duran Duran Rio Special Edition

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 08-16-09, 01:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I know this was posted a month ago on their official site but I've only just come across it and it hasn't been mentioned here. They also released a classic albums dvd about a year or so ago- it seems like they're clinging to their most popular album. I wouldn't call myself a Duran Duran fan past what they did on their first two albums, I know I'm in a minority saying that.

I'm excited to see the Hammersmith Odeon 1982 concert get an official release as well. This has been circulating on bootlegs for years. They're at top form here and would never match it again in my opinion.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/BFDqUgYf9RI&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/BFDqUgYf9RI&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

DURAN DURAN

- 2-CD & Special Edition release of ‘Rio’

- LP & 12” Vinyl Special Edition of ‘Rio’

- Previously Unreleased concert DVD/CD, ‘Live At Hammersmith 82!’

Release date: 7th Sept 2009 (UK)/ 22nd Sept 2009 (US)

EMI is proud to announce the release of a 2-CD and Vinyl Special Edition of Duran Duran’s classic 1982 album, ‘Rio’, and a previously-unreleased live DVD/CD concert, ‘Live At Hammersmith ‘82!’

‘Rio’ was Duran Duran’s second album and is as representative of the 1980s as it gets, at its best. A fusion of style and substance ensures that even two decades after its release it remains as listenable and danceable as ever. Through the sheer quality of its singles – Rio, Hungry Like The Wolf, Save A Prayer – and their accompanying, ground-breaking videos – which were heavily rotated on MTV – ‘Rio’ saw the band break the U.S., with the album spending a staggering 129 weeks on the Billboard 200 Chart.

The ‘Rio’ 2 CD Special Edition is made up of the UK release of the album, the original U.S. album remixes (enabling U.S. listeners to programme their CD to be able to listen to the original version), EMI Manchester Square demos, B-Sides, remixes and other surprises (see below for tracklisting).
The digital download version has 2 extra tracks.

The LP & 12” vinyl special edition is the original UK album on LP and US album remixes on the 12”.
LIVE AT HAMMERSMITH 82! is a much anticipated release among followers of the band. Previously unreleased, it will come as a double DVD and CD pack, allowing fans to both enjoy the visual spectacle of the concert and CD audio, too. Filmed and recorded in the latter part of 1982 as Duranmania was sweeping the UK, the performance at London’s Hammersmith Odeon includes ‘Rio’, ‘Hungry like the Wolf’, ‘Girls on Film’, fan favourite ‘Make Me Smile (Come Up and See Me)’ and more. The release also includes ‘Rio’ era videos and two previously unreleased ‘Top of the Pops’ performances. The concert is also available as an audio digital download.

Tracklistings…

Duran Duran: Rio (2 CD Special Edition)

CD 1:
Original UK album – released May 1982
1. Rio
2. My Own Way
3. Lonely In Your Nightmare
4. Hungry Like The Wolf
5. Hold Back The Rain
6. New Religion
7. Last Chance On The Stairway
8. Save A Prayer
9. The Chauffeur

Original US album mixes released on Harvest/Capitol – released November 1982

10. Rio (US album remix)
11. My Own Way (Carnival remix)
12. Lonely In Your Nightmare (US album remix)
13. Hungry Like The Wolf (US album remix)
14. Hold Back The Rain (US album remix)

CD 2:
The Manchester Square demos (recorded 28th August 1981):
1. Last Chance On The Stairway
2. My Own Way
3. New Religion
4. Like An Angel

Non-album singles and b-sides:

5. My Own Way (original 7” version. UK single a-side released November 1981)
6. Like An Angel (UK single b-side released November 1981)
7. Careless Memories (live. UK single b-side released May 1982)
8. The Chauffeur (Blue Silver – early version. UK single b-side released November 1982)

Versions & Mixes:

9. My Own Way (Night version – UK 12″ single a-side released November 1981)
10. Hungry Like The Wolf (Night version – UK 12″ single A side released May 1982)
11. Rio (Night version – Dutch 12″ Carnival E.P. released September 1982)
12. New Religion (Carnival remix – Japanese 12″ Carnival E.P. released September 1982)
13. Hold Back The Rain (Carnival remix – US 12″ Carnival E.P. released September 1982)

*Digital only extras:

14/My Own Way (Instrumental version) (6.32)
15/Hold Back The Rain (Alternate remix) (6.38)

Vinyl

Original UK album on heavyweight Vinyl

Side 1:
1/ Rio
2/ My Own Way
3/ Lonely In Your Nightmare
4/ Hungry Like The Wolf
5/ Hold Back The Rain
Side 2:
1/ New Religion
2/ Last Chance On The Stairway
3/ Save A Prayer
4/ The Chauffeur

Original US album mixes on heavyweight 12”

Side 1:
1/ Rio (US album remix)
2/ My Own Way (Carnival remix)
3/ Lonely In Your Nightmare (US album remix)
Side 2:
1/ Hungry Like The Wolf (US album remix)
2/ Hold Back The Rain (US album remix)

DVD/CD: Live at Hammersmith ’82

DVD
Rio
Hungry Like The Wolf
Night Boat
New Religion
Save A Prayer
Planet Earth
Friends Of Mine
Careless Memories
Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
Girls On Film
Extras
Rio era videos -
My Own Way
Hungry Like The Wolf
Save A Prayer
Lonely In Your Nightmare
Rio
The Chauffeur

Top Of The Pops Performances:

Hungry Like The Wolf (May 13th, 1982)
Rio (November 18th, 1982)

CD
Rio
Hungry Like The Wolf
Night Boat
New Religion
Save A Prayer
Planet Earth
Friends Of Mine
Careless Memories
Make Me Smile (Come Up And See Me)
Girls On Film

Last edited by statcat; 08-16-09 at 01:11 AM.
Old 08-16-09, 07:31 AM

Re: Duran Duran Rio Special Edition

This was announced months ago - maybe back in March? - to come out this summer and then kind of disappeared. It was recently reannounced for September, though the date was pushed back in the US from the first week to September 22. I cannot wait - it's hard to believe that this is the first time the US LP mixes are being released on CD, and there's lots of great stuff on the bonus disc as well. Kind of annoying that there are two digital only bonus tracks, but I guess that's how things are done these days...

I hope this does well enough that they can do more. I'd love similar reissues for 'Seven and the Ragged Tiger' and 'Notorious. [The latter was rumored to happen in 2006 for its 20th anniversary but that never happened.]
Old 08-16-09, 11:12 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

On their website it was announced July 15 but I didn't hear about it until yesterday. I'd like to see a reissue of their first album, there would be enough bonus unreleased stuff to add for sure. It's annoying that there's digital only bonus tracks.
Old 08-16-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I had never really considered Duran Duran one of my all-time favorites until a few years ago when I realized that over the course of the last few decades, I had seen them live more than any other band. And they NEVER put on a bad show. Subconciously they had actually become one of my favorite bands. I now have everything they've done and then some. I'll be picking up this DVD for sure.
Old 08-16-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Numanoid
I had never really considered Duran Duran one of my all-time favorites until a few years ago when I realized that over the course of the last few decades, I had seen them live more than any other band. And they NEVER put on a bad show. Subconciously they had actually become one of my favorite bands. I now have everything they've done and then some. I'll be picking up this DVD for sure.
I just can't really get into much after their first two albums. They also have some great early singles that are only available in the singles boxset that came out years ago. They helped me discover Japan who I like much more now.
Old 08-16-09, 01:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Japan is fantastic. I may grab this on vinyl.
Old 08-16-09, 08:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think the US mixes are better, surprised they didn't make it to cd sooner

I know they played more than those songs at the Hammersmith show I was hoping they would release the full concert but this is better than nothing. I wonder what the quality will be like.

Last edited by statcat; 08-16-09 at 08:12 PM.
Old 08-19-09, 11:58 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Not a big fan of the group, but there's no denying that this is catchy, well-crafted pop music (and I don't think "pop" is a dirty word; I appreciate a good hook as much as anybody).

This is the only album of theirs I own. I still have my 1982 US vinyl copy and was beginning to doubt that the alternate mixes used on it were ever going to appear on CD. I'd been planning to make a needledrop one of these days and burn it onto CD, but this set will save me the effort.

Between DVDs, books, and music, it is going to be an expensive fall.
Old 10-01-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I got the set and it seems pretty comprehensive, sound quality is great. The only thing that was new to me were the 1981 demos which were unreleased but it's good to have it all in one package.

Supposedly more special editions will be coming out. I'm looking forward to what will be on the first album (maybe that unreleased version of Tel Aviv among other things?)
Old 10-01-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Wow. Totally missed this news. Thanks for the bump. According to Amazon this will street in the US on Tuesday. Was an import version already released?