Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Weezer: New LP - 10/27/09

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Weezer: New LP - 10/27/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-09, 10:52 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,156 Likes on 902 Posts
Re: Weezer: New LP - 10/27/09

Originally Posted by mdc3000
After a few more listens, the record is starting to grow on me... it's not as good as The Red Album (I don't care what people say, that record was great) but it's got some decent songs...the more I listen, the more I'm getting into it.
I don't understand the hate The Red Album gets at all. So Rivers doesn't sing on every song big flipping deal its still got a pretty good handful of decent songs. I don't consider Can't Stop Partying to be one of the best Weezer songs I've ever heard but its okay. I liked the version from Alone II better though.
Old 10-27-09, 12:30 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by DrStrangeL0ve71
Is this supposed to be a Douche bag parody album? Rivers singing about Patron over a dance beat? huh?
Weezer has done sarcasm a time or two in the past.
Old 10-27-09, 11:51 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Lyrics from the Make Believe/Red Album....

"You're my best friend, and I love you, yes I love you, Yes I DOOOOOOOO!"

"Man, you really freak me out, i'm so afraid of you, and when I loose my cool, I don't know what to DOOO!"

"I'm a hero, but i'm a zero."

"WE ARE ALL ON DRUGSS!!! YEAAAHHH!!"

come on. please. I do not take Weezer seriously, and with lyrics like this, who could?
Old 10-27-09, 01:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by AnonomusBob15
Lyrics from the Make Believe/Red Album....

"You're my best friend, and I love you, yes I love you, Yes I DOOOOOOOO!"

"Man, you really freak me out, i'm so afraid of you, and when I loose my cool, I don't know what to DOOO!"

"I'm a hero, but i'm a zero."

"WE ARE ALL ON DRUGSS!!! YEAAAHHH!!"

come on. please. I do not take Weezer seriously, and with lyrics like this, who could?
None of these are from The Red Album....Also Perfect Situation is a good Weezer song. So that one line of lyrics makes it bad to you? I don't understand why you even keep coming back into this thread other than to crap on Weezer.

Last edited by Mike86; 10-27-09 at 01:09 PM.
Old 10-27-09, 01:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

this was a thread in anticipation for the new album, if you read the whole thing, you can see the course of events. I returned to the thread to post my distaste for the new material (having eagerly awaiting it), and subsequent visits to defend my posts.

Weezer sucks. i'm done with them, and this thread.
Old 10-29-09, 10:57 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Weezer sucks. i'm done with them, and this thread.
How bout them LSU Tigers?!
Old 11-02-09, 11:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

After a few listens, this review excerpt sums up my feelings:

Rivers Cuomo is not going to write another Pinkerton.

The Weezer frontman was in a dark place in the mid-nineties. He struggled with the success of his band’s debut album and the pressure to follow up while the band was still hot. This dark period of Cuomo’s life is found in Pinkerton, and the audience has to embrace what was given to us back in 1996. He wrote, sang, and played his heart out on those ten tracks, and that has to be enough. If a Weezer fan cannot accept this, he or she will not accept the band’s seventh album, Raditude. If he or she can, there is a lot of fun to be had from a record that turned out much better than anyone could have expected.
link
Old 11-02-09, 01:18 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 45 Likes on 37 Posts

^^^^

Excellent mini-review

Damn, the new album is so much fun....great stuff!

And yes, I loved Make Believe and the Red album quite a bit too....this side of Weezer appeals to me the most. The playful, naive, biting sarcasm side of them. But then again, this is coming from someone who still worships Bloodhound Gang so....take it for what it's worth son!
Old 11-02-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

i'm done with them, and this thread.
Good. You'll miss out on a lot of fun music, but whatever.
Old 11-03-09, 10:55 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Av1kuh8EBY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/3Av1kuh8EBY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_37TUTrgeE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/q_37TUTrgeE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>

I dig both of these
Old 11-04-09, 10:52 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I'm digging the new album. Not much in the way of songs that will ever be "classics" but still a lot of fun. I also enjoyed the AOL session videos. There's also another one featuring Kenny G. Kenny G! Who has a solo! That's fuckin' brilliant, Rivers!

Also, I don't know if it was mentioned previously, but the album is available for download from Amazon through a link on Weezer's site for only $3.99.
Old 11-05-09, 01:46 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Some thoughts... "Put Me Back Together" sounds a lot like The All-American Rejects, which, I guess, makes sense. "Trippin' Down The Freeway" sounds like it could be a song by Rooney, who always kinda sounded to me a bit like Weezer anyway. And I absolutely prefer the Alone II version of "I Don't Want To Let You Go".

That being said, I pretty much love this album. As has been said, it's fun music. The only song I don't really care for is "Bad Medicine"... er, I mean, "In The Mall", although even that is kinda growing on me with repeat listens. Shame though, cuz I like Patrick Wilson, but on these past two albums, I haven't really cared for his two songs.

I'd have to say my favorite tracks are "I'm Your Daddy", "The Girl Got Hot", "Trippin' Down The Freeway" and "Let It All Hang Out".

And "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To" makes me feel a little less ashamed to be employed at Best Buy.

K
Old 11-05-09, 09:25 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I'm definitely loving it now. I'm lukewarm on the bonus tracks in the deluxe version (which were mixed in with the 10 album tracks on my first listen) and once again I think they closed the album with the only weak track on the record (The Red Album was fun except for Angel and the One, which I hated) but damn, the first 9 are so damn fun and go by in a flash. A great party record that instantly puts you in a good mood.
Old 11-05-09, 01:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wow really? I actually like the new version of I Don't Want to Let You Go a lot. The weakest track to me is probably In The Mall.
Old 11-06-09, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Mike86
Wow really? I actually like the new version of I Don't Want to Let You Go a lot. The weakest track to me is probably In The Mall.
As I've stated before, I agree with this. Although, "Love Is The Answer" might start getting on my nerves.

Driving to work this morning, it dawned on me what band "The Girl Got Hot" reminds me of: The Fratellis. The vocals and guitar licks definitely make me think of a couple songs from their first album.

Odd that Weezer songs on this CD are reminding me so much of other bands.

K
Old 11-09-09, 08:05 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

I just got this and, while I haven't listened to it yet, I'm elated that a band finally puts out a "Deluxe Edition" in a jewel case and not a crappy digipak.
Old 11-10-09, 06:49 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 49 Likes on 36 Posts

I officially love this album now.
Old 11-11-09, 10:49 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I love this album as well.

Is there anywhere to download those AOL session tracks?
Old 11-16-09, 01:30 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Cornelius1047

And "(If You're Wondering If I Want You To) I Want You To" makes me feel a little less ashamed to be employed at Best Buy.
I do like this song, but couldn't help but notice it is so-ooo absent from the Billboard Top 40 Singles chart. In fact, while Weezer has its fan base, they have never really been a hit-singles group. Their only Top 40 single is, of all songs, Beverly Hills, which was actually a pretty hot number in 2005, reaching #10!

At least Weezer can say they have a Top 10 hit in their catalog. Even if it is just one. Even if it isn't a particularily good one.
Old 11-16-09, 02:39 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer/ Admin

Received 1,882 Likes on 1,238 Posts

"Beverly Hills" is their only top 40 track in the Billboard Hot 100, but:

* They've had eighteen songs in the top 40 for Billboard's Alternative chart, eight of which were in the top 10
* They've also had three songs in the top 40 for Billboard's Adult Pop Songs chart, with "Beverly Hills" being their only entry in the top 10
* "I Want You To" is currently #5 on the Billboard Rock Songs chart
* "Troublemaker" was #37 on the Dance/Club Play Songs chart, of all things.

"Beverly Hills" also made it to #2 on the Pop Songs chart.
Old 11-16-09, 03:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Unfortunately, none of that means a thing if the song isn't in daily heavy rotation on Top 40 radio stations.

For once in my life, I'd like to go to an amusement park and hear Weezer. Mixed between hip-hop tunes.
Old 11-19-09, 03:48 PM

Had this album in the car, along with Make Believe, for the past week. I really like it now and found the article in the recent Rolling Stone (Shakira) pretty enlightening.
Old 12-06-09, 11:56 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

http://www.cnn.com/2009/SHOWBIZ/Musi...ent/index.html

Weezer singer hurt in bus crash
By Chuck Johnston, CNN

Glen, New York (CNN) -- The lead singer of the rock band Weezer was involved in a bus accident Sunday that left him and another passenger in an upstate New York hospital.

Rivers Cuomo, 40, complained of rib pain and was transferred, along with one other passenger, to St. Mary's Hospital in Amsterdam, New York.

Cuomo's wife, daughter, and a fifth passenger on the bus were uninjured. The bus was traveling from Toronto, Ontario, to Boston, Massachusetts, for a show Monday night at the Agganis Arena at Boston University.

The accident occurred shortly after 7:30 a.m. Sunday, while the bus was traveling eastbound on the New York State Thruway near the city of Amsterdam, according to Sgt. Brian Dollard with the New York State Police.

The driver said the back end of the bus slid on ice, then went into the median and hit some reflective posts before crossing back over the highway, going over the guardrail and landing in a ditch.

It had snowed about two inches overnight, police said. The roads were generally wet Sunday morning, but not covered in snow, Dollard said.

Police said they do not suspect drugs or alcohol were a factor in the accident.

The vehicle is a 2009 Prevost tour bus registered to Night Train Coach Inc., out of Tennessee.
Old 12-06-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Get well soon Rivers.Glad his family were okay.
Old 12-07-09, 06:04 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw WEEZER on Saturday night and even though I've seen them every time they've come here since 1994, it was easily one of their best shows EVER. Rivers had really come into his own with a new found, confident rock star presence (which he's had for a while now but this was taking it to a whole new level) - hell, I even touched him as he ventured into the crowd multiple times, just hanging out with the people. It was great....and then I heard this news the next morning - horrible. Glad his wife and child were OK (saw them around before the show) and hope he gets better soon. Thank God for that bus driver's quick actions, because I would probably be inconsolable if this had been much more serious. Hopefully they'll be back and rocking the bitches ASAP.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.