DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Same artist, Same Title, Different Song (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/557771-same-artist-same-title-different-song.html)

Rex Fenestrarum 07-06-09 04:42 PM

Same artist, Same Title, Different Song

In 1984, the British pop band Wham! had a hit song called "Freedom".

In 1990, former Wham! lead singer George Michael had a hit with another song called "Freedom" (although the official title of the song is "Freedom '90", I've never heard it referred to in this way; it's always just "Freedom").

Although the songs were sung by the same person and had the same title, that's the only thing they had in common. GM's version is not a "cover", it's a totally different song.

Has there ever been another case of a band having a hit song and a member of that band having having a hit later on with a different song that had the same title?

Cover versions, no matter how different they might be from the original, don't count, and neither do "Chubby Checker style" rewrites of the same song (aren't there something like a dozen or more different versions of "The Twist"?).

What say you?

Groucho 07-06-09 04:43 PM

re: Same artist, Same Title, Different Song

There's about 1500 different songs called "Heart and Soul".

Tscott 07-06-09 05:42 PM

They Might Be Giants have:
(She Was A) Hotel Detective
She Was A Hotel Detective
(She Was A) Hotel Detective In The Future

All three are very different songs.

The Cow 07-06-09 05:48 PM

Heartbreaker - Zeppelin, Dionne Warwick, and Pat Benatar (and probably more)

Rex Fenestrarum 07-06-09 05:50 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9547680)
There's about 1500 different songs called "Heart and Soul".

Originally Posted by The Cow (Post 9547883)
Heartbreaker - Zeppelin, Dionne Warwick, and Pat Benatar (and probably more)

Perhaps you guys should re-read the OP.

The Cow 07-06-09 05:55 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 9547890)

Doh!

*** off to the time machine ***

Drexl 07-06-09 06:25 PM

Why does Heartbreaker not count? They're different songs, not covers.

One that comes to mind is "I Kissed a Girl," which was a minor hit in 1995 by Jill Sobule. Recently, Katy Perry had a hit with a song of the same name.

Oh crap, I just read the OP. Never mind.

Groucho 07-06-09 06:34 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 9547890)

I have the OP on my ignore list. Perhaps the subject header could be changed to "Same artist, same title, different song"?

DeanoBKN 07-06-09 08:26 PM

Originally Posted by Groucho (Post 9548027)
I have the OP on my ignore list.

Details! :eyebrow:

cactusoly 07-06-09 08:27 PM

Bruce Dickinson / Iron Maiden The Wickerman

JasonF 07-06-09 08:44 PM

The Beatles had electric Revolution and accoustic Revolution, which were more or less the same song, and Revolution #9, which was a very different song.

Rex Fenestrarum 07-06-09 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Dean Kousoulas (Post 9548393)
Details! :eyebrow:

Yeah, really! What did I ever do to you?

EDIT: Also, I have a request in to change the thread title.

TomOpus 07-06-09 08:56 PM

Originally Posted by JasonF (Post 9548439)
The Beatles had electric Revolution and accoustic Revolution, which were more or less the same song, and Revolution #9, which was a very different song.

Won't work according to the OP... still the same song, it wasn't a member of The Beatles and it wasn't a hit.

I don't foresee many examples that fully comply.

Groucho 07-06-09 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 9548463)
Yeah, really! What did I ever do to you?

I'd reply, but since I have you on ignore I have no way of seeing this question. :sad:

redhenry 07-06-09 09:21 PM

Chris Rea - two songs called "Texas" that are not the same in any way. They are not 'hits' though but both appear on different studio albums.

Achtung 07-06-09 09:50 PM

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 9547677)
Has there ever been another case of a band having a hit song and a member of that band having having a hit later on with a different song that had the same title?

That's a weird one... might take some time, can't imagine more than a handful of examples at most.

How about "Hold Me Tight", first by The Beatles, then a different song later on by Paul McCartney?

WMAangel 07-07-09 12:02 AM

Not 100% exact, but very close:
Prior to Pearl Jam, Eddie Vedder was in a band called Bad Radio...while they never had any official/major label releases, they did record and self release two different demo tapes in 1989....on their second tape (entitled What The Funk), they had a song called "I'm Alive"....
Then, obviously afterwards (a year later), he wrote "Alive" with PJ...both songs are completely different from one another....granted, the Bad Radio song was not a hit, but this is almost another example...

(Bad Radio also recorded Better Man, but that was the same song he later brought out of the past for PJ.....)

bigjim25 07-07-09 12:32 AM

I don't care if they are covers!

Huey Lewis and the News cover songs: #7 hit "It's Alright" and #5 "But It's Alright"

Chrisedge 07-07-09 11:50 AM

Re: Same artist, Same Title, Different Song

Originally Posted by Rex Fenestrarum (Post 9547677)
In 1984, the British pop band Wham! had a hit song called "Freedom".

In 1990, former Wham! lead singer George Michael had a hit with another song called "Freedom" (although the official title of the song is "Freedom '90", I've never heard it referred to in this way; it's always just "Freedom").

Although the songs were sung by the same person and had the same title, that's the only thing they had in common. GM's version is not a "cover", it's a totally different song.

Cover versions, no matter how different they might be from the original, don't count, and neither do "Chubby Checker style" rewrites of the same song (aren't there something like a dozen or more different versions of "The Twist"?).

What say you?

I have always seen it listed as Freedom '90...

joeblow69 07-07-09 12:19 PM

My Dying Bride had a song on their Debut called "Sear Me", then "reimagined" the song 2 more times over 10 or 15 years. Same basic riff and lyrical theme, but still VASTLY different songs.

A-aron 07-07-09 12:37 PM

Was (Not Was) had a number different versions of "Out Come the Freaks" on their releases

edstein 07-07-09 12:44 PM

To what level do remixes count? Depeche Mode has tons of those.

cdollaz 07-07-09 02:54 PM

The closest example I can think of is that King's X has songs called "Sometime" and also "Sometimes." They are 2 entirely different songs and were recorded quite a few years apart.

Talkin2Phil 07-07-09 03:09 PM

This almost counts:

Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, had two songs titled:"Joan of Arc" on Architecture & Morality but was forced to rename one: "Joan of Arc (Maid of Orleans)" by the suits.

Achtung 07-07-09 03:59 PM

One other one I can think of that is an "almost" match is U2 having a song on The Unforgettable Fire called "Elvis Presley and America", then doing a song under the Passengers pseudonym called "Elvis Ate America".