Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Old 04-23-18, 10:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts

A new album full of previously unreleased music from Prince is expected to come out at the end of September. In a brief interview in Variety, Troy Carter, the ex-Lady Gaga manager whose company Atom Factory is overseeing Prince’s estate, states, “Last week, the release of ‘Nothing Compares 2 U’ was the first piece of music to come from our collaboration with the estate, and now we’re working on a release for the fall — a full-length album.” This news comes after the two year anniversary of his death this past weekend, as well as the release of the aforementioned “Nothing Compares 2 U” and an accompanying music video of archival performance footage from the vault.

The estate also debuted two new websites to to commemorate the anniversary. One being a deep dive into his discography and the other one for fans to share their remembrances called “Prince2me.” According to Carter, the new album will be coming out on Warner Bros. Records, so presumably this will be music from his years with the label, which included the time he wrote the word “slave” on his face after battles with Warner Bros. over creative control of his music.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...rial-september
Old 04-23-18, 11:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts
re: PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

Hey, I'm all for it. The more Prince, the better.
Old 04-24-18, 12:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,403 Likes on 1,028 Posts
re: PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

I’m pretty attached to the 80s early 90s stuff, wonder what this come out of?
Old 05-11-18, 12:50 PM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts
Re: PRINCE: new unreleased music album coming

The Prince Estate and Tidal have announced an agreement to release an unreleased Prince album on the service in 2019. The two entities previously went to court in a dispute over the streaming rights of Prince’s vault recordings. Per the new agreement, the album will stream exclusively on Tidal for two weeks and will be available to download seven days after its debut, with a physical release planned for later that year.

Prince’s partnership with Tidal extends back to 2015, when the service debuted HITnRUN Phase One and Phase Two, though they ran into trouble when the service made Prince albums available posthumously that his Estate said they did not have the rights to.

Tidal owner Jay-Z will have a hand in the song selection for the album, working alongside the Prince Estate: “Our only goal is to share Prince’s music with his fans as he wanted. After thoughtful and honest conversation with him, he chose TIDAL as his partner for HITnRUN Phase One and HITnRUN Phase Two, and we will continue to respect and honor Prince’s enduring legacy and wishes with this new collection,” Jay-Z said in a statement.

A press release notes that the 2019 Tidal release is separate from the planned releases from Warner Brothers Records, Inc. Last month, it was revealed that a different album of previously unreleased material will be released in the fall.
https://www.stereogum.com/1995893/pr...dal-2019/news/
Old 06-07-18, 07:24 AM

Received 4,557 Likes on 3,092 Posts

This morning, on what would have been Prince’s 60th birthday, his estate and Warner Bros. have announced the release of a live album recorded in 1983. Piano & A Microphone: 1983, out September 21, was recorded during a rehearsal at Prince’s home studio in Chanhassen, Minnesota. Listen to the record’s version of “Mary Don’t You Weep,” which will feature in Spike Lee’s BlacKkKlansman, below. The album also includes a cover of Joni Mitchell’s “A Case of You” and versions of “Purple Rain” (which was then unreleased), “17 Days,” and more. See the tracklist below.

<iframe src="https://open.spotify.com/embed?uri=spotify%3Atrack%3A2oyxDkR5iLTwuP9h6lDkM5" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true" allow="encrypted-media"></iframe>

Piano & A Microphone: 1983:

01 17 Days
02 Purple Rain
03 A Case Of You
04 Mary Don’t You Weep
05 Strange Relationship
06 International Lover
07 Wednesday
08 Cold Coffee & Cocaine
09 Why The Butterflies
Old 06-07-18, 06:33 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

Cool. When I heard “new album of unreleased material” I didn’t really imagine an acoustic set.
Old 06-07-18, 06:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 165 Likes on 118 Posts

Very glad to see this. One of the best concert decisions of my life was spending an ungodly amount of money to see Prince on his piano and microphone tour when he hit New Zealand. He died two months later, which I still find unfathomable because the man on stage was so amazing and full of life. It's amazing how good his songs still were in a more acoustic setting.
Old 06-08-18, 02:05 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

While one of the best bootlegs it's beyond stupid they're releasing this yea sure most people haven't heard it before but it's been around for 20 yrs+ I bet.

Now it is something so good I still listen to it a lot over the years. Probably top 5 things in all the bootlegs, but still, really hard to get excited about really.
Old 06-09-18, 04:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

I will get it.

What is the next album on the remaster list?
Old 06-09-18, 10:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I would like a deluxe of 1999.
Old 06-11-18, 09:27 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
While one of the best bootlegs it's beyond stupid they're releasing this yea sure most people haven't heard it before but it's been around for 20 yrs+ I bet.

Now it is something so good I still listen to it a lot over the years. Probably top 5 things in all the bootlegs, but still, really hard to get excited about really.
This makes no sense to me. If it's one of the best bootlegs and is so good that you still listen to it a lot, then that is EXACTLY what should be getting a proper release. Sure, there are probably lots of recordings that have not been bootlegged to also chose from, but if these are popular bootlegs, then making them more readily available to the general public seems like a no brainer.
Old 06-12-18, 02:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 89 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by bralph
This makes no sense to me. If it's one of the best bootlegs and is so good that you still listen to it a lot, then that is EXACTLY what should be getting a proper release. Sure, there are probably lots of recordings that have not been bootlegged to also chose from, but if these are popular bootlegs, then making them more readily available to the general public seems like a no brainer.
I am a huge Prince fan, but I never went after the bootlegs. Just not my thing. So I agree with you, let's bring out the best stuff, bootlegged or not.
Old 06-12-18, 06:11 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by bralph
Uh it's cause its gonna be taken from a cassette tape. There is no proper master of the recording. So there is no proper version to release. They will be releasing basically what we've already had for 20 yrs. Maybe slightly cleaned up but the bootleg is already really good quality, well for a bootleg.

Listen to the clip above, that's basically exactly what the bootleg sounds like quality wise. So in the end whats the point.
Old 06-13-18, 07:50 PM
Banned

Location: Conducting miss-aisle drills and listening to their rock n roll
Received 168 Likes on 126 Posts

In the end a guy like me who doesn’t buy bootlegs can hear it. That’s the point.
Old 06-13-18, 08:27 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

No it isn't. THe point is to make money. And selling something MANY people have had for decades or so young they don't care probably isn't the best approach.
Old 06-15-18, 05:05 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

THE PRINCE ESTATE STRIKES DEAL WITH SONY MUSIC!! (Post 1996 material and some of the vault) this deal is millions less than what UNIVERSAL paid last year. ($31 million.)

https://variety.com/2018/biz/news/pr...ic-1202848408/
Old 06-15-18, 10:48 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

GOLD EXPERIENCE deluxe, please
Old 06-16-18, 10:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
gold experience deluxe, please
yes yes yes yes yes. Please!!!!!!
Old 06-16-18, 10:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 273 Likes on 206 Posts

Originally Posted by hdtv00
No it isn't. THe point is to make money. And selling something MANY people have had for decades or so young they don't care probably isn't the best approach.
Even if many people have had this for decades (which, since it’s a bootleg, will still have nowhere near the distribution it will get now), we’re on DVDTalk. This is the place where many people don’t mind triple or quadruple dipping on releases non stop.

Last edited by bluetoast; 06-16-18 at 10:22 PM.
Old 08-17-18, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 218 Likes on 165 Posts

Prince's 23 Catalog Albums From 1995 to 2010 Are Now Available to Stream.

Prince’s works just got a royal rollout. A raft of the late artist’s albums from the years 1995-2010 have dropped in full across digital music platforms, in addition to the Anthology, which was assembled and curated with the Prince estate and comprises tracks from the era.

The 23 albums now available (not counting Anthology) represent a first wave of digital catalog releases, including rare and out-of-print recordings, that include The Gold Experience (from 1995), Emancipation (1996), The Rainbow Children (2001), Musicology (2004), Planet Earth (2007), 20Ten (2010) and more. Today's Prince bonanza adds more than 300 songs to the Purple One's online offering for the first time.

The posthumous campaign comes after Prince's estate and Sony Music Entertainment announced in June an exclusive distribution agreement that covers 35 of the icon's previously-released efforts, which weren't widely accessible through streaming platforms and DSPs. Other titles from 1978-2015 will be re-issued in years to come.

Issued through NPG Records and Legacy Recordings, the Anthology collection features 37 songs and, like the other 23 LPs, was staggered for a midnight release around the globe.

The first wave of Prince catalogue titles issued digitally via Sony Music Entertainment/Legacy:

1. The Gold Experience (1995) ("The Most Beautiful Girl in the World" greyed out, partial album streaming only; album unavailable for download)
2. Chaos and Disorder (1996)
3. Emancipation (1996)
4. Crystal Ball (1998)
5. The Truth (1998)
6. Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic (1999)
7. Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic (2001)
8. The Rainbow Children (2001)
9. One Nite Alone… (2002)
10. One Nite Alone…Live! (2002)
11. One Nite Alone...Live - The Aftershow: It Ain't Over (Up Late with Prince & The NPG) (2002)
12. Xpectation (2003)
13. N.E.W.S. (2003)
14. C-Note (2004)
15. Musicology (2004)
16. The Chocolate Invasion (Trax from the NPG Music Club: Volume 1) (2004)
17. The Slaughterhouse (Trax from the NPG Music Club: Volume 2) (2004)
18. 3121 (2006)
19. Planet Earth (2007)
20. Indigo Nights (2008)
21. LOtUSFLOW3R (2009)
22. MPLSoUND (2009)
23. 20Ten (2010)
24. Prince Anthology: 1995-2010

https://www.billboard.com/articles/n...igital-rollout
Old 08-18-18, 06:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,064 Likes on 644 Posts

I stopped listening to his stuff after Crystal Ball. Emancipation & CB were disappointing to me way back when they came out. Emancipation and CB just seemed like an exercise in masturbation and I just got bored with them at the time.

I plan to give them another listen but can any Price aficionado state if anything after CB is worth a listen?
Old 08-18-18, 08:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 120 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite
I stopped listening to his stuff after Crystal Ball. Emancipation & CB were disappointing to me way back when they came out. Emancipation and CB just seemed like an exercise in masturbation and I just got bored with them at the time.

I plan to give them another listen but can any Price aficionado state if anything after CB is worth a listen?
While they all have a few good songs on them, I think the best full albums since CB are Musicology, 3121 and the 2 Hit N Run albums.
Old 08-20-18, 08:21 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 44 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Spiderbite

I like Lotusflow3r. Colonized Mind is a fantastic track, and I also really like Dreamer, Feel Better and the Crimson & Clover cover.
Old 12-11-18, 01:09 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Prince Estate and Legacy Recordings announced on Monday (Dec. 10) that the first three albums in a planned roll-out of catalog material will be released on CD and, for the first time, vinyl, on Feb. 8, 2019. The albums slated for physical release are part of a trilogy from the early 2000s, including the Grammy-nominated Musicology (2004), 3121 (2006) and Planet Earth (2007).

According to a statement announcing the re-issues, the vinyl versions will be pressed on collectable, limited-edition purple vinyl, with new exclusive merchandise tied to each album on sale in the official Prince store; click here to pre-order. Musicology -- which was nominated for two Grammy Awards and was bundled with ticket purchases in a pioneering marketing effort -- will come in a single-CD/Double-LP format.
https://www.billboard.com/articles/c...lbum-re-issues
Old 03-08-19, 10:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Did anyone pick up these Sony remasters? I may grab them on vinyl and possibly double dip on the CD editions.

Looks like Legacy will be reissuing Rave Un2 The Joy Fantastic, Rave In2 The Joy Fantastic and a DVD of Rave Un2 The Year 2000 in a 3-disc box set called Ultimate Rave, along with individual vinyl releases:

https://www.princeestate.com/article...-reissues-rave

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.