DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Songs that are ripoffs of other songs... (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/557165-songs-ripoffs-other-songs.html)

The_Walrus 06-24-09 10:01 AM

Re: Songs that are ripoffs of other songs...

"Hello, I Love You" by The Doors has the same vocal melody of "All Day and All of the Night" by The Kinks.
Actually, I think a lot of garage bands, old and new, owe Ray Davies some money.

"Surfin' USA" by the Beach Boys is now credited as a Chuck Berry song.

The chorus part of Rod Stewart's "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy" was stolen from the song "Taj Mahal" by brazilian musician Jorge Ben.

DRG 06-24-09 10:06 AM

The chorus to The Strokes' "Razorblade" sounds almost identical to the chrous to Barry Manilow's "Mandy".

Giles 06-24-09 10:17 AM

Bonnie Tyler's TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART sounds alot like Air Supply's MAKING LOVE (OUT OF NOTHING AT ALL)

Buttmunker 06-24-09 10:21 AM

Could be like in the movies, where a director will "borrow" from another film - to pay "homage," as Quentin Tarantino likes to phrase it. ;)

Hixx 06-24-09 11:19 AM

Pretty much 99% of rock n' roll are the same recycled riffs and chord progressions over and over. The only thing that distinguishes them are style and production choices.

al_bundy 06-24-09 11:20 AM

in the arts everyone copies everyone else and adds something of their own to the work. Madonna said that when she writes music for a new album it's based on what she's listening to at the time.

how is this news?

ESUguy 06-24-09 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9522592)
Bonnie Tyler's TOTAL ECLIPSE OF THE HEART sounds alot like Air Supply's MAKING LOVE (OUT OF NOTHING AT ALL)

Nah, they both just have that distinct sucking sound.

Hokeyboy 06-24-09 11:53 AM

Originally Posted by Buttmunker (Post 9522534)
I think Stone Temple Pilots ripped off "Picture Book" by The Kinks for their song "Big Bang Baby". The riff is the exact same, and I don't think STP credited the Kinks for it.

It's not the exact same riff, but they are similar. STP's riff rises to a crescendo then winds back down, whereas The Kinks's original riff rises and then drops down a third.

I would say Green Day's "Warning" is more similar to STP's "Big Bang Baby" than STP's is to The Kinks.

Buttmunker 06-24-09 12:02 PM

Originally Posted by Hixx (Post 9522753)
Pretty much 99% of rock n' roll are the same recycled riffs and chord progressions over and over. The only thing that distinguishes them are style and production choices.

And don't forget - it's the singer, not the song.

Dubya 06-24-09 12:11 PM

Originally Posted by Rockmjd23 (Post 9522032)
Whatever, man. Theirs goes, 'Ding ding ding dingy ding-ding.' Ice's goes, 'Ding ding ding ding dingy ding-ding'. It's that extra ding. It's completely different.

:lol: That never gets old.

One that comes to mind for me lately is that "Lit Up" song by Buckcherry (the local rock station has been playing it alot lately for some reason). It sounds alot like Kiss' "Shock Me"

Ky-Fi 06-24-09 12:16 PM

I believe Killing Joke sued over this one---don't know the outcome, but they all must have made up as Dave Grohl played drums on their 2003 album. For pete's sake, they even used the exact same guitar effects!

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/7cvIPqMjORE&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/7cvIPqMjORE&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/auTwQcuYzdk&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/auTwQcuYzdk&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

al_bundy 06-24-09 12:40 PM

i found a recording of Woodstock in the library during lunch and borrowed it. Noticed a song called Sea of Madness by Crosby Stills and Nash.

I can hear some similartities to the Iron Maiden version

Alvis 06-24-09 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9522592)

I believe both are Jim Steinman compositions. He also wrote all of Bat Out of Hell, Parts 1 and 2. All his songs sound remarkably similar, or should I say, distinctive.

Mordred 06-24-09 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by Josh-da-man (Post 9522160)
Metallica totally ripped off the song "Rainbow Warrior" by NWOBHM band Bleak House for "(Welcome Home) Sanitarium." (Hear a comparison here)

Interesting. I'd never heard that before. However, I'd say that at worst it's an unintentional influence because they aren't that similar. The first 6 notes of the riffs are the same, but after that they divurge wildly, and considering the progression that Metallica uses throughout that song, it isn't that surprising. A slow arpeggiated progression like that isn't all that uncommon in music.

spammied 06-24-09 02:22 PM

I think of the Black Eyed Peas' PUMP IT using Dick Dales MISERLOU

starman9000 06-24-09 02:40 PM

Just listened to that Green Day song and I have to say, that's not even close to a ripoff of Say It Aint So.

The Infidel 06-24-09 03:24 PM

I just thought about this the other day when I heard an ELO song on the radio, and couldn't help but notice that Huey Lewis and The News pretty blatantly ripped off the first couple lines for their "Do You Believe In Love". I don't know the name of the ELO song, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

Another instance I always wondered about was Violent Femmes' taking an entire verse of Foghat's "I Just Want To Make Love To You" for their "Gone Daddy Gone". Then I found out later that it's actually originally by Muddy Waters.

statcat 06-24-09 03:39 PM

Originally Posted by The_Walrus (Post 9522559)
"Hello, I Love You" by The Doors has the same vocal melody of "All Day and All of the Night" by The Kinks.
Actually, I think a lot of garage bands, old and new, owe Ray Davies some money.

I never ever thought those two sounded the same, I'll listen again with that in mind. Lots of 60s garage bands ripped off British invasion group songs, count five's psychotic reaction comes from the yardbird's version of I'm a Man, this song is obviously a take on Them's Gloria. It's not like these guys ever made enough money to pay anyone any royalties though:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/sm0DqJM83QY&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/sm0DqJM83QY&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Hokeyboy 06-24-09 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by spammied (Post 9523487)
I think of the Black Eyed Peas' PUMP IT using Dick Dales MISERLOU

"Miserlou" isn't Dick Dale's; it was a Mediterranean folk song long before he recorded it. I think (and I'm not THAT familiar with the song) that they sampled Dale's version of it, but I could be wrong.

Hokeyboy 06-24-09 04:05 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 9523682)
I just thought about this the other day when I heard an ELO song on the radio, and couldn't help but notice that Huey Lewis and The News pretty blatantly ripped off the first couple lines for their "Do You Believe In Love". I don't know the name of the ELO song, but I'm sure you know what I'm talking about.

By your description, it sounds like you're talking about ELO's "Sweet Talkin' Woman".

Rocketdog2000 06-24-09 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by The Infidel (Post 9523682)

You may also like to know that Huey Lewis & The News didn't even write that song. Robert John "Mutt" Lange did. Yes, that Mutt Lange - uber record producer of Def Leppard, AC/DC, Bryan Adams, Foreigner, Shania Twain (and her former Husband, too), etc...etc...

But while we're on the subject of Huey Lewis, and song rip-offs, let's not forget he sued (and won, out of court, I believe) over Ray Parker Jr.'s "Ghostbusters" being too similar to "I Want A New Drug".

wm lopez 06-24-09 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by Drexl (Post 9521717)
Sometimes they don't have a problem with it. Michael Jackson told Daryl Hall he took the bass line from "I Can't Go for That" for "Billie Jean," and Hall had no issue with it. Eddie Van Halen also told him he copied the synth part from "Kiss on My List" for "Jump." He said it was something they all do. Tom Petty didn't mind the similarities between "Mary Jane's Last Dance" and the Red Hot Chili Peppers' "Dani California." He also didn't mind the Strokes taking "American Girl" for "Last Nite."

The Green Day song isn't really a copy of the Weezer song, so I don't think they'd sue. To me, it kind of sounds more like Neil Young's "Heart of Gold."

And George Harrison got sued for MY SWEET LORD?!!

Hokeyboy 06-24-09 06:07 PM

Originally Posted by wm lopez (Post 9524108)
And George Harrison got sued for MY SWEET LORD?!!

It was pretty cut-and-dried with George Harrison. Same melody through verse and chorus.

The irony being, Harrison ended up owning "He's So Fine" anyhow.

E Unit 06-24-09 06:29 PM

That stupid fucking Kid Rock song that's always playing rips off Sweet Home Alabama AND Werewolves of London. I don't know the name, but as soon as I hear it, I want to pull a gun.

Hokeyboy 06-24-09 07:02 PM

As much as I'm NOT into hip-hop or music that "samples" other music, there *IS* a difference between sampling and ripping-off outright.