Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Howard Stern Radio Show Talk

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I thought I'd make a thread for all of us that wanted to talk about the show as we listen. I wasn't sure where to put the thread, but music/radio kind of makes sense (plus I figured it would get lost in the others forum).

First thing I wanted to bring up is Sal and Richards new tradio calls. Yeah, they're funny as shit. But does anyone believe they're real? From the first time they aired it I knew it was fake, but Howard/Artie and the rest are playing it up pretty good...taking me for a fool really. What do you guys think?

BTW..I just started listening to Wed's show, so I'm a day behind.

Last edited by dino88; 05-22-09 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-22-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts
Re: Howard Stern Radio Show Talk

I listened a couple of time during the free Stern week for XM listeners this week and forgot how much I enjoyed the Stern show. It just pisses me off that they expect XM listeners to pay extra for Stern after the merger.

They have a special going right now where it is only $2 extra a month (per radio I believe), but I still don't understand why XM subscribers have to pay more if Sirius/XM is now the same company???
Old 05-22-09, 06:55 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dino88

First thing I wanted to bring up is Sal and Richards new tradio calls. Yeah, they're funny as shit. But does anyone believe they're real? From the first time they aired it I knew it was fake, but Howard/Artie and the rest are playing it up pretty good...taking me for a fool really. What do you guys think?

BTW..I just started listening to Wed's show, so I'm a day behind.
They're not fake. They busted them on Thursdays show.
Old 05-22-09, 11:40 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge
Old 05-23-09, 12:47 AM

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
but I still don't understand why XM subscribers have to pay more if Sirius/XM is now the same company???

It's not only you...i'm a "lifetime" Sirius Subscriber, and when the merger happened, I found out I had to pay for some of XM's "premium" channels, like Oprah and a few others.

I don't listed to Stern like I use to, and had Sirius before he went to them.
Old 05-23-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by LeeVing
I found out I had to pay for some of XM's "premium" channels, like Oprah and a few others..
Why would you pay for that?

I have a lifetime Sirius membership. I see no need for anything XM-related.

Baba-booey Baba-booey Baba-booey Baba-booey...
Old 05-23-09, 10:40 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

I hear Howard's calling it quits after this contract.

I'm wondering if the wrap-up show people will take over Howard's slot. I actually like listening to Gary and John BS.
Old 05-23-09, 12:59 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by parrotheads4

I'm wondering if the wrap-up show people will take over Howard's slot. I actually like listening to Gary and John BS.
I like John, but can't stand Gary and his "listen"...I could actually do w/out both Gary and Robin (sub Lisa G for Robin). I'd rather listen to a wrap up show w/John and JD every day.
Old 05-23-09, 01:02 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Richard & Sal are in San Diego tonight. Thinking about going, but it's in Ocean Beach where there's a ton of hippie gutterpunks begging all over the place.
Old 05-23-09, 01:43 PM

Originally Posted by Snowmaker
Why would you pay for that?

I have a lifetime Sirius membership. I see no need for anything XM-related.

Baba-booey Baba-booey Baba-booey Baba-booey...

I'm not paying for it...just saying that us on the Sirius side weren't given all the channels either.

I think it's mainly Oprah and Opie and Anthony that are XM's "premium" channels.
Old 05-23-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

I love Sal's and Richard's prank calls. Most of them are classics.

The new Tradio calls, though, sound really fake. They all start at the exact same spot of the song, and the people just cannot be that clueless.

Someone said "they're not fake; they were busted." The bust might be a fake, too.
Old 05-23-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Thrush
Huuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuge

Thank youuuuu-uhhh

Yeah, Richard and Sal's phony phone calls are great. But most of their Robin songs stink. I do like that one band that does them too though. Like the new song this week to Tom Petty's "I Won't Back Down"

Well they're, big and brown
And they, bounce around

Wish I could remember the rest. I was laughing too hard.
Old 05-23-09, 04:24 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JeeY8fltkS8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JeeY8fltkS8&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-23-09, 06:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,081 Likes on 656 Posts

"Quits" as in forever or just going back to standard radio? When is his current contract up?

I can't decide whether to suck it up and pay the extra amount. It's not that expensive...it's just the principle of the matter.
Old 05-23-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Just so you know, they EDIT the Tradio calls so that it always starts with the Andy Griffin music and ends with the "JEEEEEEEEEESUSS!!!" singing guy. But the calls themselves are real.

I'm loving the show, could use a lot less of the Artie/Rehab/Heroin drama, but there you are.

OH and if you can, see Sal & Richard live. I've gone twice and had a GREAT time. Their standup isn't the greatest -- although Sal's is funnier than Richard's, if you don't mind the fact that the man is an out & proud racist -- but if you're a fan of the show you'll laugh your ass off.

Plus they always end with the two of them onstage getting the crowd to sing along with them on their greatest hits, like "Brown Mounds", "Photograph (It's a Picture of My Wife's Fat Ass)", and others. Heck, the last time I saw them Christine (Sal's wife) made an appearance and posed for pics after the show.

Pics with the boys:

Old 05-23-09, 06:57 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I'm loving the show, could use a lot less of the Artie/Rehab/Heroin drama, but there you are.
I'm just surprised he hasn't quit yet. I thought he was going to quit about a year ago. There's some days when you can tell by his tone that he doesn't want to be there and is just looking to piss off Howard. I don't think the show would be nearly as good without him though. I always find the show lacking when he has one of his "sick" days (plus we get stuck with more Robin cackle).

What's been getting old (like you said) is Artie's constant references to heroin. It seems every other joke has to be something drug related. Although, if he has really kicked the habit I guess this is understandable. It must be on his mind constantly.
Old 05-23-09, 07:06 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 290 Likes on 211 Posts

I'm just surprised he hasn't quit yet. I thought he was going to quit about a year ago. There's some days when you can tell by his tone that he doesn't want to be there and is just looking to piss off Howard. I don't think the show would be nearly as good without him though. I always find the show lacking when he has one of his "sick" days (plus we get stuck with more Robin cackle).

What's been getting old (like you said) is Artie's constant references to heroin. It seems every other joke has to be something drug related. Although, if he has really kicked the habit I guess this is understandable. It must be on his mind constantly.
Speaking of Artie and heroin, I felt the same about his book. After like the fifth chapter where he fucked up something while on drugs, I just want to throw the book across the room. I'm supposed to feel sympathy for a fuck up who's been handed so much? And continues to make the same mistakes? In one chapter, Artie even said he couldn't understand why one of his former MadTV cast mates would not return his calls anymore. Puh! Work it out dumb ass.

But I love Robin. The show would not be the same without her. Her and Howard are a team, for sure.
Old 05-23-09, 11:28 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I listened a couple of time during the free Stern week for XM listeners this week and forgot how much I enjoyed the Stern show. It just pisses me off that they expect XM listeners to pay extra for Stern after the merger.

They have a special going right now where it is only $2 extra a month (per radio I believe), but I still don't understand why XM subscribers have to pay more if Sirius/XM is now the same company???
It is totally lame. I'm pretty sure they said they weren't going to do this once the merger went through. They talked of ala carte subscriptions but never an added fee for XM people.

One of our cars has XM and one has Sirius. It'd be nice if I could just manage one account and have Stern on both.
Old 05-23-09, 11:30 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Howard won't quit. He needs that job to keep Beth.
Old 05-24-09, 12:10 AM
gamer for life

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I love Howard Stern and listen to him every day. The crew has been doing it so long they are almost to good at what they do. They do have a way of getting "relaxed" at times, but just when you think you are getting bored with them "bam" they hit you with another Sal/Gary/Richard/Fred/Artie home-run. The latest Gary "pitch" is still making me laugh.

When Howard is gone, I am gone from Sirius. I picked Sirius up long before Howard was coming to it because of my job. When I no longer needed to travel I only kept Sirius because of Howard. There is NOTHING worth paying 13 bucks a month for on Sirius except Howard. I will go back to CD/Ipod stuff after he is gone and I am afraid a great many others will as well.

It is about time for another roast if you ask me, and PLEASE don't let Bob Levy run it this time.
Old 05-24-09, 09:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by foxdvd
There is NOTHING worth paying 13 bucks a month for on Sirius except Howard.
If you like good music, Little Steven's Underground Garage is a MUST!
Old 05-24-09, 12:10 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 36 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by CRM114
Howard won't quit. He needs that job to keep Beth.

And lets not forget baby Howie.

I hope you're right, but I've heard from a good source Howard will be showing up when he feels like it - almost like a guest. Let's hope Beth get him drunk enough to forget the condom.
Old 05-24-09, 12:52 PM
Suspended

Received 36 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
If you like good music, Little Steven's Underground Garage is a MUST!
I love Little Steven's Underground Garage, but it's available for free via the internet:

http://www.littlestevensundergroundg.../homepage.html

In addition to the Sirius show, he also does a syndicated show for terrestrial radio. Archives of both the Sirius version and the syndicated version are available on the web-page (free sign-up required).
Old 05-24-09, 03:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I was a huge Artie fan, but his schtick has definitely run its course. I'm sick of hearing him ruin interviews by screaming over everyone to get his stale, lame punch-lines in. Some production studio should do everybody a favor and offer the fat bastard a sit-com deal so he can bolt to L.A.
Old 05-24-09, 04:40 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, same here. HUGE fan of Artie, but the heroin jokes are just way too often and too much.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.