Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

KYLIE to tour the US!!!!!!

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

KYLIE to tour the US!!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 07:46 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: KYLIE to tour the US!!!!!!

Originally Posted by bearkiss
according to the interview on the Today show that aired 05-08 this is something she's wanted to do for a long time but her manager was against it since they could play huge arenas & sell them out overseas but would be doing small theaters in the US... she said since she had all the big tours behind her last year she put her foot down and said she wanted to do this for the loyal rabid dedicated fan base she has over here!
I don't understand why management wouldn't let her do it. Scissor Sisters are an arena act in the UK yet they have gone on record that they love doing the 500-2000 seat clubs and small theaters stateside.
Old 05-17-09, 12:38 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I ended up getting a not so cheap Hollywood Bowl ticket, but for the kind of show Kylie puts on, I think it will be worth it.

As for why her management didn't want her doing a tour in the US if she was only going to play smaller venues, I can understand it. Tours are expensive (especially on a different continent), and if the returns from ticket sales aren't going to cover the cost, why do it?
Old 05-18-09, 09:12 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hopefully this will spur Robbie Williams to do a tour in the US as well ... Heck, Kylie should bring him along with her.
Old 05-18-09, 02:38 PM
Banned by request

Then they can sing "Kids" together.
Old 05-21-09, 02:07 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Giles
yes, it's called the elite 6 - surprisingly San Francisco is NOT a stop.
I'm not a fan of hers but Oakland is practically SF. Short distance and easy to get to. I heard on the radio they added an extra date because of the demand.
Old 05-21-09, 02:53 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
As for why her management didn't want her doing a tour in the US if she was only going to play smaller venues, I can understand it. Tours are expensive (especially on a different continent), and if the returns from ticket sales aren't going to cover the cost, why do it?
Well, Scissor Sisters always play a lot of US dates and they play to 1/10th the crowds they play in Europe, but have been very vocal that they love playing the intimate US shows. If they can do it why not Kylie?
Old 05-21-09, 03:15 AM
Banned by request

I'm not sure Kylie knows how to do "small" shows anymore, if she ever did. Remember, her whole career was manufactured. She never played small clubs to build up an audience and eventually graduate to bigger venues and better album sales. She started with a huge hit, as part of a money-making hit machine, and was smart enough to eventually take the reins of her own career and keep it going over the decades. I mean, look at the locations she's chosen for this tour. The Hollywood Bowl is only a small venue to someone who is used to playing arenas and up.

Plus you also have to take the stage show aspect of it into account. It's part of the show for her to have all sorts of elaborate things on stage. You can't do that at the Roxy on the Sunset Strip even if you wanted to.
Old 05-21-09, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails
Well, Scissor Sisters always play a lot of US dates and they play to 1/10th the crowds they play in Europe, but have been very vocal that they love playing the intimate US shows. If they can do it why not Kylie?

I doubt if Scissor Sister's show changes at all depending on audience size. Kylie will have to come up with something specifically for smaller stages.
Old 05-21-09, 11:46 AM

I'm not sure Kylie knows how to do "small" shows anymore, if she ever did. Remember, her whole career was manufactured. She never played small clubs to build up an audience and eventually graduate to bigger venues and better album sales. She started with a huge hit, as part of a money-making hit machine, and was smart enough to eventually take the reins of her own career and keep it going over the decades. I mean, look at the locations she's chosen for this tour. The Hollywood Bowl is only a small venue to someone who is used to playing arenas and up.
Her albums weren't selling for a while mid 90s and she did a small tour of Australia called Intimate & Live. There was some production there but it was generally just her and the microphone. I think it's one of her best tours.
Drunk
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JUTkXbOcvhg
Cowboy Style
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dkB8vhLG_rM
Limbo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QtYDfQCMtI
Old 09-30-09, 02:37 PM

ok, the US tour starts tonight in San Francisco / Oakland... let's have some people review it! (the official setlist has been posted on kylies site in the forum - she's admitted to leaking it to perez hilton and it's also on his site)...

I go next wednesday 10-07 to Chicago for it and can't wait!
Old 10-01-09, 06:19 PM

I'll start - I bought tickets last minute from scalper site Razorgator at face value (shocker!) and they came with an unexpected perk: Visa Signature VIP wristbands which let us in a reserved, elevated standing area under the loge seats. Got some nice glasses of wine and was glad we weren't in the crush in front of the stage (although it was very civilized and festive). I saw everything perfectly. But, as excited as I was to see this show, I had no idea it would turn out THIS good.
Well entertained by her DVD filmed concerts, I was not prepared...
I'm telling you, the show was very rousing and every song made you want to dance. The beats were great. I wasn't expecting props nor lightshow and we got that, too. It was definitely an arena-sized staging but what worked was this: in arenas end-stages usually have the unappealing backdrop of unused seating. The theater in Oakland framed Kylie's show in the most unexpected way - containing all the backdrops and lights and there was actually some depth to the visuals (the opening appearance seemed like I was watching a 3-D movie). The shows I have seen at theaters usually are just a band with microphones (and lights). By contrast, her theatrics worked so well in that setting!
If Madonna wanted to mix up theaters and arenas for her next tour, it is totally do-able.
And, I must say - her dancers were amazingly beautiful. She was also very warm and very, very funny. She was actually very happy to be up there and the crowd responded back. Yes, the shouting of her name was deafening in a brief interlude in the middle of the show. She was adored, appreciated and I was amazed (not to mention relieved) that the show was THAT successful. I hope she loves the USA!
On the bum note, she's got a second show and just couldn't find the good tickets I wanted to buy. Glad she sold so well, though!
Old 10-03-09, 03:19 AM
Banned by request

I'm seeing her tomorrow at the Hollywood Bowl, very excited.
Old 10-05-09, 02:18 AM
Banned by request

The show was tonight, and man, what a great time! This may have been the most elaborate and impressive concert I've ever seen. The whole thing started in a fashion that most shows probably would have ended: After a bit of a light show, Kylie descended from the ceiling on a giant silver skull, wearing a costume out of Flash Gordon and sporting a massive pink boa. From up there, she sang "Light Years," and then came down to be greeted by a bevy of dancers.

There were several different "sections" to the show, and each was accompanied by a costume change on Kylie's part. They were all very ornate, I'm amazed how quickly she was able to switch in and out of them. She was in great voice the whole night, and the dancers were all very well choreographed.

The centerpiece of the show was her singing "Confide In Me" while doing an intricate dance with one of the male dancers and alternately lounging on a massive purple velvet couch with a gold panther at the end of it. She was really into it, singing her heart out and really appreciative of the audience reaction, which was extraordinary. Almost every time she turned towards a section, the people in that area would explode with applause.

She had a really incredible stage presence, whether it was pretending to be uber-serious, in silly 80's mode, campy, sexy, you name it. I was absolutely riveted. And the songs were, of course, fantastic. She played almost everything I would have wanted to hear, except for "Fever" (which I think is one of the best pop songs of the decade). And, much to my dismay, she played absolutely nothing from Impossible Princess, easily her best album. I don't know if she normally avoids material from that album, but it was sorely missed.

Other than that gripe, the show was absolutely fantastic, and I sincerely hope that the tour is enough of a success that she comes back on a regular basis. One of the most impressive and enjoyable shows I've seen in a long time.
Old 10-06-09, 12:47 AM

And, much to my dismay, she played absolutely nothing from Impossible Princess, easily her best album. I don't know if she normally avoids material from that album, but it was sorely missed.
I hate her music with a passion but I know she rarely plays stuff from that album. It was her attempt at being 'indie' and didn't sell as well. She soon went back to mindless pop and sales picked up.
Old 10-06-09, 01:43 AM
Banned by request

I've got a recording from the Fever tour where she sings "Cowboy Style," so it's not like she never plays stuff from it.
Old 10-06-09, 09:14 PM

she usually throws a song or two in from Impossible Princess on her tours.
Old 10-12-09, 06:57 AM

well, I saw the chicago show last week and it was amazing... much better than I expected (and I had very high expectations)...

favorite moment was when there was a technical glitch between songs and the audience started chanting her name over & over... then the chanting changed to "disco, disco, disco, disco"...

so while they corrected the problem on stage, she treated us to an acapella version of "your disco needs you"... the entire song just her beautiful voice... it was amazing! there's a few handheld camera postings of you tube of it (some are better than others)... but her voice was absolutely perfect spot on!

she played a total of 2 hours & 10 minutes...
Old 10-12-09, 03:35 PM
Banned by request

That sounds awesome! Wish she had done "Your Disco Needs You" at my show. Clearly she needs to come to the States again.
Old 10-17-09, 10:18 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Not a big fan, but she certainly seems like she could book a better venue than the Congress Theater...that place is a total dump. I've never been in a more disgusting venue...just awful.
Old 10-17-09, 12:42 PM

Originally Posted by abrg923
Not a big fan, but she certainly seems like she could book a better venue than the Congress Theater...that place is a total dump. I've never been in a more disgusting venue...just awful.
agreed - but ultimately it worked out for the best - the sunday before the scheduled wednesday show at the congress, it was moved to the UIC Pavilion arena...

they blocked off the upstairs balcony seats but the floor & lower level seats were very full... at least twice as many people were there than the capacity of the congress would have held!
Old 10-18-09, 01:42 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I'll admit that I'm not a big fan of her though I think she's made some OK songs. Madonna is much better IMHO as a musician.

As a performer, I like Kylie. I loved those music videos... that's probably what sold me on her.
Old 10-21-09, 08:35 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I think what's great about Kylie (from what I've seen in her concert dvds), is that she sings live and dances. Now that is impressive, unlike many other singers who choose to lipsync. I haven't been able to make it to her U.S. show, but hopefully she will release a dvd from this tour.