DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Eminem - Relapse (5/19/09) (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/554469-eminem-relapse-5-19-09-a.html)

Tarantino 05-04-09 01:58 PM

Eminem - Relapse (5/19/09)

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedi...apse_Cover.jpg

1. "Dr. West" (skit)
2. "3am" Dr. Dre
3. "My Mom"
4. "Insane"
5. "Bagpipes from Baghdad"
6. "Hello"
7. "Tonya" (skit)
8. "Same Song & Dance"
9. "We Made You" Dr. Dre, Eminem
10. "Medicine Ball"
11. "Paul" (skit)
12. "Stay Wide Awake"
13. "Old Time's Sake" (feat. Dr. Dre)
14. "Must Be the Ganja"
15. "Mr. Mathers"
16. "Deja Vu"
17. "Beautiful"
18. "Crack a Bottle" (feat. Dr. Dre and 50 Cent)
19. "Steve Berman" (skit)
20. "Underground/Ken Kaniff"

Here's the new single, "Old Time's Sake" feat. Dr. Dre.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/HL0kQWNwQX0&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/HL0kQWNwQX0&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

= J

NiCK Crush 05-04-09 02:14 PM

Re: Eminem - Relapse (5/19/09)

I'll be picking this up. Although Crack a Bottle and We Made You did very little for me.

EdTheRipper 05-04-09 04:08 PM

I'm torn on this one. I liked Crack a Bottle but We Made You and 3am aren't really doing it for me.

DRG 05-05-09 02:52 PM

Old Time's Sake is my favorite of the four tracks I've heard so far.

hapgilmore 05-06-09 08:49 AM

All 4 of the songs that have been released are mediocre at best (old time's sake) and terrible at worst (we made you). Sad to say, but Eminem has fallen off.

stingermck 05-06-09 08:56 AM

I just had to post this somewhere :lol:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/as...4713.jpg&w=150

NEW YORK – Marvel Comics has teamed up with Eminem and XXL magazine to celebrate his anticipated upcoming album Relapse with an all-new story featuring the renowned rapper and Marvel’s notorious vigilante, The Punisher, in Eminem/Punisher: Kill You.

Back from a three-year hiatus, Eminem is set to grace two XXL covers posing as The Punisher for the magazine’s June issue on stands May 5, two weeks before his fifth solo album, Relapse, hits stores May 19.

A special collector’s edition, the magazine also includes the first part of an exclusive collaboration between XXL, Shady and Marvel Comics -- Eminem/Punisher: Kill You -- a special edition Punisher comic book starring Eminem and created by Marvel Comics.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=21084

macnorton 05-06-09 09:08 AM

I am not digging the new singles at all. It sounds like he went back to the "Slim Shady" stuff, which was getting old fast. I liked the more serious Eminem...but that is me.

Tarantino 05-07-09 09:04 PM

The album leaked this afternoon at the usual spots if you want to hear it.

Some very good beats from Dre. Eminem has some crazy verses, but some of the songs he's using that damn 'accent' that I find incredibly annoying. Beautiful and Underground are some awesome tracks though.

= J

Daryl 05-08-09 02:02 AM

While completely inappropriate on just about every level, I'm loving "Insane", including the old school Skinny Boys "is he nuts? no he's insane" chorus. Em rips it on Underground, especially the last verse.

A fair amount of ultimately forgettable/skippable songs, though.

Rypro 525 05-08-09 02:55 AM

yeah, Underground is fucking amazing. I wonder to the peeps that have heard it, does anyone else think the 'christopher reeve' verse on "Medicine Ball" goes a bit far. Yeah, def a few clunkers in there, but several songs are gems.

Tarantino 05-08-09 03:15 AM

The second verse on Insane is...insane. I wonder how 'personal' that song really is, and what is just for show.

= J

madcougar 05-08-09 04:41 AM

Originally Posted by stingermck (Post 9427749)
I just had to post this somewhere :lol:

http://www.comicbookresources.com/as...4713.jpg&w=150

NEW YORK – Marvel Comics has teamed up with Eminem and XXL magazine to celebrate his anticipated upcoming album Relapse with an all-new story featuring the renowned rapper and Marvel’s notorious vigilante, The Punisher, in Eminem/Punisher: Kill You.

Back from a three-year hiatus, Eminem is set to grace two XXL covers posing as The Punisher for the magazine’s June issue on stands May 5, two weeks before his fifth solo album, Relapse, hits stores May 19.

A special collector’s edition, the magazine also includes the first part of an exclusive collaboration between XXL, Shady and Marvel Comics -- Eminem/Punisher: Kill You -- a special edition Punisher comic book starring Eminem and created by Marvel Comics.

http://www.comicbookresources.com/?p...ticle&id=21084

Wow. Strangest Punisher team-up since Archie.

Yep, this qualifies as jumping the shark - Eminem is officially an ass clown...

hapgilmore 05-08-09 12:56 PM

The album is much better than I expected, but Em needs to lose the annoying voice on a lot of the songs. Still, his flow and wordplay are still crazy as ever.

Jacoby Ellsbury 05-08-09 10:01 PM

Yes, this album is dope. Its basically what should have been dropped after the MMLP rather than the direction he went especially encore that was just a horrible album.
Some of the content is a little extreme on this album specifically the whole getting molested by his dad song. But its definitely Shady type stuff. This takes me back to 99-2001 when I actually was more in tune to hiphop and everything going on.

NiCK Crush 05-12-09 01:41 AM

Originally Posted by Jacoby Ellsbury (Post 9433772)
Yes, this album is dope. Its basically what should have been dropped after the MMLP rather than the direction he went especially encore that was just a horrible album.
Some of the content is a little extreme on this album specifically the whole getting molested by his dad song. But its definitely Shady type stuff. This takes me back to 99-2001 when I actually was more in tune to hiphop and everything going on.

The Eminem Show was fantastic. But yea, Encore sucked.

I'm really digging Relapse so far. The singles don't do it justice at all.

Giles 05-12-09 09:05 AM

Originally Posted by DRG (Post 9426507)
Old Time's Sake is my favorite of the four tracks I've heard so far.

it's so damn catchy...

Phodg 05-12-09 09:48 AM

I thought he'd retired.

Giles 05-12-09 12:15 PM

Originally Posted by Phodg (Post 9438878)
I thought his fifteen minutes were up.

fixed.

NiCK Crush 05-12-09 12:59 PM

Originally Posted by Phodg (Post 9438878)
I thought he'd retired.

He was going to move on and stick to producing only. But as most rappers that "retire", it didn't last long.

Originally Posted by Giles (Post 9439187)
fixed.

Now come on, you don't have to be a fan of rap, or even like the guy... but he has undeniable talent.

Giles 05-12-09 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by NiCK Crush (Post 9439286)

Now come on, you don't have to be a fan of rap, or even like the guy... but he has undeniable talent.

dang it, I forgot to add a sarcasm smiley. No he's the exception to my hatred of rap music in general - yes he does have talent.

My Other Self 05-12-09 05:18 PM

I was going in with low, low expectations even though he's consistently remained one of my favorite rappers since I first heard The Slim Shady EP at a friends house in 1998 or so.. not too long before My Name Is became a staple on MTV. The reason I really didn't feel much was because I wasn't digging We Made You or 3AM at all.. and given I was so stoked for Encore (which I do still enjoy, just not on the same levels as his other albums) and overall it disappointed.

But, after giving this a solid listen today, I was pleasantly surprised and pleased. I think this ranks as my second favorite album behind The Slim Shady LP, to be honest. I prefer his drug and hate induced lyrics since I tend to like the crazier side of Em. I'm a bigger fan of Slim Shady than I am his more "serious" songs like When I'm Gone, Mockingbird, and such.

I'd give it a solid A. Really good album. Well worth the wait.

And as an aside, Bagpipes From Baghdad (great song) is a total rip on Mariah Carey.. well Nick Cannon took offense and wrote on his blog, and this was the result (stolen from Wikipedia although this was on Yahoo!'s front page yesterday):

After Nick Cannon heard Eminem's new song "Bagpipes from Baghdad," in which the rapper mocks Cannon's wife, Mariah Carey, Cannon was outraged. He wrote a 500 word blog debating on whether or not he should fight Eminem. Eventually, he concluded that the answer is yes. "Man to man, let's meet up and deal with this like adults", Nick wrote. "This is my invitation to you, whenever and wherever you like sir. So when you come out of your introverted hiding place and ask your bodyguards if you can go out and play by yourself, I'm here Pimp!" Eminem has yet to respond to this.

kstublen 05-12-09 05:27 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly (Post 9439886)
After Nick Cannon heard Eminem's new song "Bagpipes from Baghdad," in which the rapper mocks Cannon's wife, Mariah Carey, Cannon was outraged. He wrote a 500 word blog debating on whether or not he should fight Eminem. Eventually, he concluded that the answer is yes. "Man to man, let's meet up and deal with this like adults", Nick wrote. "This is my invitation to you, whenever and wherever you like sir. So when you come out of your introverted hiding place and ask your bodyguards if you can go out and play by yourself, I'm here Pimp!" Eminem has yet to respond to this.

Eminem is probably still on probation and so couldn't risk fighting Nick Cannon. That being said, when did Nick Cannon, the kid that helped usher in the demise of All That, turn gangster? He sucks as a comedian, actor, and rapper; the only good thing he has done is Drumline. Eminem could definitely beat the crap out of him if it ever did come down to it.

WMAangel 05-12-09 07:42 PM

Originally Posted by kstublen (Post 9439894)
He sucks as a comedian, actor, and rapper; the only good thing he has done is Mariah Carey.

Fixed. :rimshot:

NiCK Crush 05-12-09 10:07 PM

come on Nick Cannon... seriously? Eminem has ripped on just about every popular artist ever... fucking deal with it. Be a sport.

Jam Master Jay 05-12-09 10:29 PM

I was pretty hesitant about how good this would end up being. He was 5 years removed from his worst album and put out a couple mediocre singles leading up to the release, but I am really digging Relapse quite a bit. The singles don't do this justice one bit. "Insane", "Medicine Ball", "Old Times Sake", "Deja Vu", "Beautiful" & "Underground" are all immensely great tracks...hell I even like the "My Mom" track...some great beats on that one...great beats all throughout.