Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Eminem - Relapse (5/19/09)

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Eminem - Relapse (5/19/09)

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-09, 11:06 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 212 Likes on 185 Posts
Re: Eminem - Relapse (5/19/09)

Dr. Dre Speaks On Relapse, Rapping Again And His Prognosis Of Em

You haven’t gotten behind the mic in a few years, what made you decide to rap on Relapse?
When me and Em get together and that fire starts, anything can happen. We were both pushing each other to that next level, and when I heard him on the mic on those two beats, both times I said, “Yo, I got to be on this.”

Can you describe the chemistry you and Em had on Relapse and how this played out in the studio when recording songs?
We were in the studio together a couple times just trying shit out, seeing what was gonna happen. I could feel it wasn’t the right time yet … but I knew it was coming. Em’s talked about how he had to deal with some of his shit, too, and once we got back in after that, it was on. When we’re both in that zone, the songs come faster than we can record them.

After working with Eminem on practically this entire album and going through the ups and downs together for the past few years, how has that affected your relationship as friends and musicians?

Me and Em are always cool, and when he’s ready to work and I’m ready to work, we do our thing. That shit doesn’t change.

Being that you are the doctor, can you make a prognosis as to what is going on with Slim Shady on Relapse? His lyrics are crazy!
I’m probably the dude who’s used to it the most, because I get to hear all of it when he’s recording. But then we’re in the studio and he puts something down and I’m like, “What the fuck did he just say?” Every time I think there’s nothing crazier he can come up with lyrically, he does it. I don’t know where he gets that shit from … man, I don’t want to know. | RDW

AFTERMATHMUSIC.com
Old 05-29-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dawaun Parker on the making of ‘Relapse’ and ‘Detox’

Under the aegis of legendary beatmaker Dr. Dre, Dawaun Parkerhas spent the last four years in a residency of sorts. But with first-week sales of Eminem’s “Relapse” estimated at an excess of 600,000 copies sold, it may signal that the Berklee College graduate is ready for board certification. After all, the 26-year-old multi-instrumentalist received co-producer credit on 14 of 15 tracks on Slim Shady’s comeback, including lead singles “We Made You” and “Crack a Bottle” — the latter of which shattered records for most first-week downloads sold.

While most producers spend years shopping beat tapes or forming groups in the hopes of catching a break, Parker’s path has been relatively bloodless: Scooped up a mere two days after graduating from the prestigious New England conservatory, he went straight to aiding the Aftermath honcho, as well as Busta Rhymes, T.I., 50 Cent and Jay-Z.

Self-effacing in the wake of Aftermath’s continued Soundscan domination, Parker spoke to Pop & Hiss about the making of “Relapse,” what he’s learned under Dr. Dre’s tutelage and Eminem’s penchant for drawing comical sketches in the studio.

How did the recording sessions for “Relapse” differ from previous albums that you’d worked on?

Most of the time, me, Dre, Mark Elizondo and sometimes a guitar player will just sit together and jam, and eventually we’ll come up with loops and ideas. With Eminem, he’d be constantly running in and out of the room and whenever he’d finish recording his tracks, he’d let us listen. We usually stuck with it. I was amazed by the level of complexity of the stuff he was writing, even at the beginning stages.

Em’s a funny guy — he’d draw all kinds of pictures of crazy cartoons and people flying and tape them to all the doors to keep things lighthearted. He was just on a tear — every time he’d leave the room he’d say something more mind-blowing. As a long-time fan, it was an incredible experience.

Dre’s a notoriously tough critic in the studio. Is he a difficult boss to satisfy? Does the competitive environment make you a better producer?

I don’t feel like I’m anywhere near his level, but just being around so many talented people is exciting. It’s about trying to make the best music I can. I imagine other people could get frustrated but I relish the fact that I get a chance to work on such interesting material.

Dre’s got an insanely sharp ear. He’ll describe a drum sound to me and work until we get it just right. It’s that diligence that makes him so successful and critically acclaimed. I feel the pressure to deliver my best every time. It’s not necessarily about being perfect or about pleasing Dre. He’s all about creating the best and most fun environment around. We try to keep it organic but at the same time we’re not going to settle for a 7 either.

You guys have been finished with the “Relapse” album for several months. What are you working on now?

We’ve been working on 50 Cent’s “Before I Self Destruct” and “Detox.” I’ve also been slowly putting stuff together for my own group, GodBody. But working with 50 and Dre have taken up a lot of time.

What’s the status with “Detox?”

There’s been a lot of progress. Every day we create more sounds and [see] what decisions Dre makes. Whenever he’s ready to put something out, we will. I think we have some great material, and he sounds excellent on the microphone. In all likelihood, 50’s album will be next to drop, then the second installment of “Relapse.”

Sonically, how does the music you’ve created for “Relapse” differ from what you’re creating for “Detox?”

Eminem’s sound is dark with big drums and a lot of space for him to fill with rhymes. I think he can rhyme over anything but he had ideas in his head where he was trying to come and create. I’d have to guess what he wanted, and I knew that I couldn’t repeat. One day you’d create things that were green, the next you’d have to create things that were blue.

Judging from the records we’ve made for “Detox,” Dre wants things that are more soulful. Eminem’s progressions and sounds tend to be rock-oriented, while Dre’s influences are more rooted in R&B, funk, and soul. (LATimes Blog)
Old 05-29-09, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Dr. Dre Debuts 'Detox' In Dr. Pepper Ad

It may just be a few seconds of music, but Dr. Dre fans will remember the new Dr Pepper ad as the spot where they heard the first officially released beats from the much-delayed "Detox." The L.A.-based hip-hop producer appears in the latest installment of an ad campaign entitled "Trust Me, I'm A Doctor," and teases a song titled "Shit Popped Off," referenced by T.I., from the long-awaited album, currently slated for a late 2009 release on Aftermath/Interscope. The commercial will begin airing on Monday, June 1.

"Scientific tests prove when you drink Dr Pepper slow, the 23 flavors taste even better. For me, slow always produces a hit," Dr .Dre says in the commercial, before stepping behind a DJ booth, putting on a pair of his own signature "Beats" headphones and slowing down the sped-up techno song that's playing by placing a can of Dr Pepper over the record. The new track comes on, the party goes wild and Dre states "Slower is better - trust me, I'm a doctor."

Other spots in the campaign feature Dr. J, Dr. Frasier Crane and Gene Simmons (aka "Doctor Love").

As previously reported, guest appearances from Jay-Z, Lil Wayne, Nas, Eminem and 50 Cent, among others, are on tap for "Detox."

Dre's last album, 1999's "Dr. Dre 2001," has sold 7.23 million copies in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan.

Video:http://www.billboard.com/bbcom/news/...03977800.story
Old 05-30-09, 03:15 PM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome album. The flow is great, the lyrics are sick, and the beats are amazing.
Favorite song is Insane. I've been reading people saying that Encore is no good, but I think it's great. It's just not as serious as his other albums, but the lyrics are still there and it's a fun album to listen to.

I also like the bonus track "My Darling". It's just brilliant.

Last edited by UhateMOFOhateU; 05-30-09 at 03:18 PM.
Old 05-30-09, 10:22 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I went back and listened to this again today. It's still crazy, but it's a great album. Thinking about the album as a metaphor for his addiction/recover helps to really understand what he's saying, but there's still some crazy stuff going on with it!
Old 06-11-09, 12:47 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Ugh. This CD is fucking terrible.

I've liked every other CD he's ever had...but this is just trash. All of it. It reminds me of a shittier, more immature version of the Slim Shady LP.
Old 06-11-09, 01:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Looks like you're alone on that one.

You're the first person that I've heard give it a negative review.

= J
Old 06-11-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

I think it's poor too. Haven't really found any songs that I really like.
Old 06-11-09, 01:33 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

same here. LOVED all his other albums. I havent found any songs I even like on this one. Oh wel, maybe i'm just over Eminem
Old 06-14-09, 09:18 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by fumanstan
I think it's poor too. Haven't really found any songs that I really like.
Same here.

I think he peaked with his second album with the exception of 'Lose Yourself'. I was hoping he would return to his older sound.
Old 11-21-09, 01:39 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Eminem Delays 'Relapse 2' But Readies 'Refill'

Eminem is pushing his "Relapse 2" album - originally scheduled for a late 2009 release - to next year. Meanwhile, on Dec. 21 he'll re-release his fifth studio album with seven bonus tracks as "Relapse: Refill" on Aftermath/Interscope.

According to a statement from his label, the bonus tracks will include five "never-before-heard" tracks as "Taking My Ball" from the DJ Hero video game as well as "Forever," which features Drake, Kanye West and Lil Wayne. The latter was featured on the "More Than A Game" soundtrack.

"Hopefully these tracks on 'The Refill' will tide the fans over until we put out 'Relapse 2' next year," Eminem says in the statement. "I got back in [the studio] with Dre and then a few more producers, including Just Blaze, and went in a completely different direction which made me start from scratch. The new tracks started to sound very different than the tracks I originally intended to be on Relapse 2, but I still want the other stuff to be heard."

BILLBOARD.com
Old 11-21-09, 01:54 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by gerrythedon
Eminem Delays 'Relapse 2' But Readies 'Refill'

Eminem is pushing his "Relapse 2" album - originally scheduled for a late 2009 release - to next year. Meanwhile, on Dec. 21 he'll re-release his fifth studio album with seven bonus tracks as "Relapse: Refill" on Aftermath/Interscope.

According to a statement from his label, the bonus tracks will include five "never-before-heard" tracks as "Taking My Ball" from the DJ Hero video game as well as "Forever," which features Drake, Kanye West and Lil Wayne. The latter was featured on the "More Than A Game" soundtrack.

"Hopefully these tracks on 'The Refill' will tide the fans over until we put out 'Relapse 2' next year," Eminem says in the statement. "I got back in [the studio] with Dre and then a few more producers, including Just Blaze, and went in a completely different direction which made me start from scratch. The new tracks started to sound very different than the tracks I originally intended to be on Relapse 2, but I still want the other stuff to be heard."

BILLBOARD.com
According to Wikipedia the tracklist for Refill will be...

01.) Peoeple Make Me
02.) Taking My Ball [Prod. by Dr. Dre]
03.) Insult To Injury [Prod. by The Alchemist]
04.) Outlet
05.) Carrington Pool
06.) Forever feat. Drake, Kanye West & Lil Wayne [Prod. by Boi-1da]
07.) Stainless Ego

Perhaps the previously download only Bonus Tracks (My Darling and Careful What You Wish For) might be available on this edition as well.

Last edited by kstublen; 11-21-09 at 01:56 AM.
Old 11-26-09, 10:13 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 44 Likes on 39 Posts

A hip-hop album getting pushed back?! Unthinkable!

Seriously, it seems that this genre is the worst in regards to albums not meeting release dates. I've noticed that since the mid 90s, before piracy was a too convenient excuse. Why is that?
Old 11-27-09, 08:57 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

Originally Posted by DJLinus
A hip-hop album getting pushed back?! Unthinkable!

Seriously, it seems that this genre is the worst in regards to albums not meeting release dates. I've noticed that since the mid 90s, before piracy was a too convenient excuse. Why is that?
Yep, and it's not like they're learning the chords or putting down the drums to the songs. It is amazing how long it takes for rappers to make these songs when bands can orchestrate albums with live instruments and all in far less time. And this "new" release better not be more than 10 bucks or it will simply be looked over by quite a few people.
Old 11-28-09, 01:34 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

This is the official cover for Eminem’s Relapse rerelase, Refill. It also features seven new songs, one featuring Dr. Dre.

01. Forever (featuring Lil Wayne, Kanye West and Drake)
02. Hell Breaks Loose (featuring Dr. Dre)
03. Buffalo Bill
04. Elevator
05. Taking My Ball
06. Music Box
07. Drop The Bomb On Em

STREETHOP.com
Old 12-04-09, 11:33 AM

Here are links to two songs off of Refill:

Buffalo Bill - http://www.rapbasement.com/audio/emi...falo-bill.html

Elevator - http://www.rapbasement.com/audio/eminem-elevator.html
Old 12-04-09, 10:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

They're all on the Rap Basement website now.

I'm really liking them. It's nice to see Em back to prime form.
Old 12-04-09, 10:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

i do wish they made the bonus disc seperate, but of course that won't happen.
Old 12-05-09, 04:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

^It happened with the recent Lady GaGa release - however most stores were only charging $1 or $2 more for the version with the full album (that had bonus tracks on it too in that instance) so probably not worth the effort.
Old 12-08-09, 10:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

yeah I just downloaded the bonus tracks since I had already gotten Relapse when it first came out. I really like the bonus tracks though, Drop the Ball on Em & Buffalo Bill Didn't really care for Forever that much, they have been playing that on the radio for a few months now and Em's part is pretty solid, but there is just way too many people on that track.
Old 12-10-09, 02:41 AM
DVD Talk Hero

My problem with "forever" is that its a god damned autotune song (thankfully em's verse isn't autotune)
Old 12-10-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
My problem with "forever" is that its a god damned autotune song (thankfully em's verse isn't autotune)
There's no autotune on there at all. The chorus is the only part that sounds like it could be, but that's just Drake's singing voice. Lil' Wayne and Kanye don't use it on that track.
Old 12-10-09, 07:19 PM
DVD Talk Hero

maybe its just me then. the opening part of the song by lil wayne sound autotune, did he finally decide to ditch it? I actually liked his second album, but the carter III is pure garbagge
Old 12-10-09, 07:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rypro 525
maybe its just me then. the opening part of the song by lil wayne sound autotune, did he finally decide to ditch it? I actually liked his second album, but the carter III is pure garbagge
That's not Lil' Wayne. That's Drake. Lil' Wayne is the 3rd verse. And Drake doesn't use autotune.

Maybe you've never listened to his (overhyped) music but that's just how Drake sounds.
Old 12-20-09, 09:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 309 Likes on 231 Posts

If the rest of the songs are like Forever then forget it. I didn't realize until the other day that I had heard that song several times not knowing what it was. That horn they blare in the song several times is annoying as well as Wayne and Kanye's verses being typical trash.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.