Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Songs That Become More Popular Years After the Initial Release

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-23, 10:00 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

Since Christmas was a few days ago at the time this thread was created, I will say Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You". This song is more popular now than it was when it was released in 1994.
Old 12-28-23, 10:02 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 907 Likes on 669 Posts
Re: Songs That Become More Popular Years After the Initial Release

Bohemian Rhapsody post Wayne's World.
The following users liked this post:
Obi-Wanma (01-03-24)
Old 12-28-23, 10:08 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,932 Likes on 1,494 Posts

Christmas songs are definitely special. I assume at least part of this phenomenon is the advent of streaming and being able to track streaming, as well as inclusion on Christmas playlists. I bet the same is true about views of classic Christmas movies.

Wham's Last Christmas finally made Christmas number 1 on the UK charts:
https://www.officialcharts.com/chart...drew-ridgeley/

Rocking Around the Christmas Tree also made the top of the Billboard Hot 100 this year with Brenda Lee making a new music video. Lee is 78, she recorded it when she was 13.

But there are I'm sure a ton of instances where new media has used a song and elevated the audience. Didn't that just happen with Last of Us?

Last edited by fujishig; 12-28-23 at 10:24 AM.
Old 12-28-23, 10:27 AM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,190 Likes on 4,217 Posts

Literally, headline from 5 days ago :
TOP OF THE HILL

Kate Bush rakes in over £8million as Running Up That Hill shoots to top of the charts 37 years on from release

https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbiz/25147108/kate-bush-profits-running-up-that-hill/https://www.thesun.co.uk/tvandshowbi...-up-that-hill/
Old 12-28-23, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Not quite to the same degree, but Metallica's "Master of Puppets" also benefited from it's Stranger Things exposure, especially with the young folks.
Old 12-28-23, 12:51 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Noonan
Bohemian Rhapsody post Wayne's World.
That got play on the rock stations where I was living in Kentucky at the time, that's a massive thing to happen for an older song like that in an area like that.

Edit: I was a bit off here, it was written for CeeLo Green, who recorded it but didn't release it. Pharrel later did it himself.

Pharrel's "Happy" was apparently originally released to a generally "meh" reaction. Sometime later it got picked for the first Despicable Me movie and became a massive hit.
Though I will stand by my assertion that Weird Al's parody "Tacky" is a much more creative use of the melody.

Last edited by milo bloom; 12-28-23 at 04:19 PM.
Old 12-28-23, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 181 Likes on 138 Posts

"Red Red Wine" by UB40 peaked at 34 in the US Billboard Top 100 chart in 1984. The song was re-released after it was played at Nelson Mandela's birthday in 1988. It became a # 1 song later that year.

"Bad Boys" by Inner Circle after it became theme song for the TV show "Cops". I'm sure there are other songs that became more popular after it featured on a TV show or movie.
Old 12-28-23, 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by milo bloom

Pharrel's "Happy" was apparently originally released to a generally "meh" reaction. Sometime later it got picked for the first Despicable Me movie and became a massive hit.
Though I will stand by my assertion that Weird Al's parody "Tacky" is a much more creative use of the melody.
That one is incorrect. It was written for the movie and was nominated for an Oscar, something that can only happen with original songs.
Old 12-28-23, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 948 Likes on 722 Posts

Originally Posted by fujishig
But there are I'm sure a ton of instances where new media has used a song and elevated the audience. Didn't that just happen with Last of Us?
Yeah, that was Linda Ronstadt's "Long Long Time"

Other times that happened:
Bob Seger's "Old Time Rock and Roll" (due to Risky Business)
The Proclaimers' "I'm Gonna Be (500 Miles)" (due to Benny and Joon)
Old 12-28-23, 04:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,408 Likes on 1,031 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
That one is incorrect. It was written for the movie and was nominated for an Oscar, something that can only happen with original songs.
What am I thinking of? I was absolutely sure of that one, but I can't seem to find the sources I had before that said that it was released before the movie.

Edit: found it, it was written and actually recorded by Ceelo Green, but Green's label didn't think it wasn't right for that time.

Williams originally wrote the song for CeeLo Green and felt Green's recording of the song was better, but Elektra Records, Green's record label, decided against it since he was on the verge of releasing his Christmas album, Cee Lo's Magic Moment
From the Wiki entry.
Old 12-28-23, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

Yeah, definitely Queen's "Bohemhian Rhapsody." With Wayne's World, it actually replaced "We Are the Champions" as their signature song.

As for the topic, one that comes to mind is Danzig's "Mother." It was first video from their self-titled debut album in 1988, but it became even more popular and a minor hit around 1993 when it was re-released to promote the band's "thrall-demonsweatlive" EP.

Old 12-28-23, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 810 Likes on 684 Posts

Originally Posted by northeast11
Since Christmas was a few days ago at the time this thread was created, I will say Mariah Carey's "All I Want for Christmas Is You". This song is more popular now than it was when it was released in 1994.
Another one is McCartney's Wonderful Christmastime, which is much bigger now than it ever was upon release. It basically disappeared from the cultural radar for 20 years and then started growing in fame I want to say in the 2000s.

Music programmers I think decided they needed to sprinkle in newer holiday songs since most of the true Christmas classics are a relatively narrow list of songs released in the 1950s and 1960s. So we get songs like Carey's and McCartney's becoming much bigger than they ever were upon release.
Old 12-28-23, 06:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Just heard one on the radio today: Hall & Oates' "You Make my Dreams Come True".

And since we're discussing songs that gained in popularity after appearing on a movie soundtrack, you can pretty much say any song from a Tarantino movie. Songs like "Stuck in the Middle With You", "Miserlou", "Battle Without Honor or Humanity", and "Woo Hoo" all became commonplace after Quentin put them in a movie.
Old 12-28-23, 06:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

After Ghost was released Unchained Melody became inescapable.

There’s been a few lately because of TikTok. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and Someone’s Watching Me by Rockwell.

Then there’s a category of people rediscovering relativity new songs like Swift’s Cruel Summer years after release. Hell she would have a bunch herself.
Old 12-28-23, 06:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 246 Likes on 175 Posts

Space Oddity
Smoke On the Water
Dream On
all became hits some years later after artist became big
Old 12-28-23, 11:12 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 114 Likes on 101 Posts

I most certainly heard DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' more times in the 2000s than I did in the 80s.
andicus (12-28-23)
Old 12-28-23, 11:51 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts

Nick Drake's "Pink Moon" was largely unknown until the 1999 Volkswagen commercial.
The following 2 users liked this post by TheAllPurposeNothing:
PhantomStranger (12-29-23), story (12-29-23)
Old 12-29-23, 01:10 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 223 Likes on 148 Posts

"Tempted was released as the second single from Squeeze's fourth album, East Side Story, in 1981. The single was only a moderate chart hit at the time; however, it has since become one of the band's most famous songs, appearing in movies (Reality Bites, 1994), TV shows, video games, and commercials."
Old 12-29-23, 09:36 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

I'd be curious to know who makes Money off of this song as it was one of those "Cause Songs" which were big in the 80s. It was Virtue Signaling before it became a thing. It's always played relentlessly on radio stations that play Christmas music 24/7 in November and December.

Last edited by Bluelitespecial; 12-29-23 at 04:25 PM.
Old 12-29-23, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Bluelitespecial
I'd be curious to know who makes Money off of this song as it was one of "Cause Songs" which were big in the 80s. It was Virtue Signaling before it became a thing. It's always played relentlessly on radio stations that play Christmas music 24/7 in November and December.
https://youtu.be/j3fSknbR7Y4?si=AK7WKfS8oCgA8pQB
It’s raised over £200million to help fight famine in Africa since its release in 1984 and is one of the UK's best-selling Yuletide hits. Bob Geldof and Midge Ure, who co-wrote it, have never seen a penny in royalties. If I might offer a word of advice, drop idiotic right wing terminology like ‘virtue signaling’ entirely — but if nothing else, certainly when it just demonstrates how uninformed you are about a particular subject.
The following 4 users liked this post by Decker:
Kdogg (12-29-23), milo bloom (12-29-23), story (01-02-24), Toby Dramit (12-29-23)
Old 12-29-23, 10:16 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 421 Likes on 305 Posts

I was curious for a "cause song" if the money it raised still went to the cause or went in the pockets of record executives. Sounds like it might be a little bit of both.
Old 12-29-23, 10:36 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 153 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by Decker
It’s raised over £200million to help fight famine in Africa since its release in 1984 and is one of the UK's best-selling Yuletide hits. Bob Geldof and Midge Ure, who co-wrote it, have never seen a penny in royalties. If I might offer a word of advice, drop idiotic right wing terminology like ‘virtue signaling’ entirely — but if nothing else, certainly when it just demonstrates how uninformed you are about a particular subject.
Add in another £150 million from the Live Aid concerts. Geldof is many things but he'd never take money meant for starving children.

Last edited by Kdogg; 12-29-23 at 03:34 PM.
story (01-02-24)
Old 12-29-23, 03:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Mondo Kane
I most certainly heard DON'T STOP BELIEVIN' more times in the 2000s than I did in the 80s.
And we're all worse off for it
rhpsozzy (01-02-24)
Old 12-29-23, 03:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2,202 Likes on 1,506 Posts

Originally Posted by Kdogg
There’s been a few lately because of TikTok. Dreams by Fleetwood Mac and Someone’s Watching Me by Rockwell.
Another one is Ghost's Mary on a Cross, originally released in 2019 as the B-side of the Seven Inches of Satanic Panic 7" single, but went viral on TikTok in 2022, and made it the band's first song to chart on the Billboard Top 100.
Old 12-29-23, 04:31 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer & TOAT Winner

Received 332 Likes on 251 Posts

Forever Young by Alphaville also got more popular a few years after it was released, and so did Send Me an Angel by Real Life although they had also done a newer version of that song which I didn’t like as much.

I first heard West End Girls by Pet Shop Boys on “The Quake” in San Francisco in late 1984, and was one of my favorite songs then which went ignored by the mainstream. It became a hit in 1986 with a re-worked version, it was good to hear the song again but I immediately thought “they ruined it!” when hearing the stuff they added to it. Pet Shop Boys proved they could write far more than one good song though and they’ve been among my favorite artists since then.
tommyp007 (12-29-23)

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.