Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Old 03-17-14, 09:18 PM
  #101  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,885
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I'll wait for the CD.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 03-18-14, 11:39 AM
  #102  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 240
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Great news! While I too would prefer Unplugged on blu ray or even dvd I am still def going to buy the cd. The unreleased/unaired tracks sound sweet. I'm looking forward to hearing "Get Up" and "Sad Professor" especially.
Quite frankly, I'm a huge fan of old school R.E.M. so the "archival money train" can keep on rolling...
keith71 is offline  
Old 03-19-14, 07:39 AM
  #103  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 575
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I'm disappointed that the official press release says "THE COMPLETE 1991 AND 2001 SESSIONS" and yet they played The Great Beyond in the 2001 set. Where's it at?
wahlers is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 10:19 AM
  #104  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,020
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Were any of those Unplugged tracks ever released on CD? Like singles or compilations? I've got every studio album and now that they're done I thought I'd pick up some of the live CDs and such.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 11:39 AM
  #105  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 575
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Originally Posted by milo bloom View Post
Were any of those Unplugged tracks ever released on CD? Like singles or compilations?
CD: MTV Unplugged Collection Volume One (1994) included "Half a World Away".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume One (2002) included "Losing My Religion".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume Two (2003) included "Imitation of Life".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume Three (2004) included "It's the End of the World as We Know It".

Video: R.E.M.: This Film is On (1991) included "Love Is All Around".

I'm not aware of any other releases of this material.
wahlers is offline  
Old 03-26-14, 03:10 PM
  #106  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 469
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
CD: MTV Unplugged Collection Volume One (1994) included "Half a World Away".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume One (2002) included "Losing My Religion".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume Two (2003) included "Imitation of Life".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume Three (2004) included "It's the End of the World as We Know It".

Video: R.E.M.: This Film is On (1991) included "Love Is All Around".

I'm not aware of any other releases of this material.
I used to have a cassette copy of the first Unplugged when it was broadcast on Westwood One radio. I had copied it from a buddy and loved it, but lost it in one of my moves.

Can't wait for May!
dave94 is offline  
Old 03-28-14, 05:47 AM
  #107  
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2000
Posts: 240
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I wonder if they are going to release Monster-20th Anniversary deluxe edition this year as well? I think most R.E.M. fans would agree this wasn't one of their best albums. But hey, compared to Around the Sun Monster is a friggin' classic!
keith71 is offline  
Old 03-28-14, 05:56 AM
  #108  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2005
Posts: 575
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

They've only done 25th anniversary sets so far. Out of Time would be next for 2016.

And, for the record I love Monster. It's one of my 3 favorite R.E.M. albums along with Lifes Rich Pageant and Automatic For The People.

But I definitely agree that Around the Sun is their worst album. Funny that most of that material live is not half bad. It would be interesting if they remixed and stripped down the album for a re-release, sort of a Around the Sun...Naked if you will.

Last edited by wahlers; 05-20-14 at 01:28 PM.
wahlers is offline  
Old 03-28-14, 08:13 AM
  #109  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,339
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

That is my opinion of Around The Sun as well. A pretty awful album as released, but it seems like there are some good songs in there. They just need to be done correctly.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 03-28-14, 11:08 AM
  #110  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Monster has gotten better with time, perspective, and the hindsight of listening through some of REM's later albums.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 04-03-14, 04:17 PM
  #111  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,020
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Originally Posted by wahlers View Post
CD: MTV Unplugged Collection Volume One (1994) included "Half a World Away".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume One (2002) included "Losing My Religion".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume Two (2003) included "Imitation of Life".

CD: Very Best of MTV Unplugged: Volume Three (2004) included "It's the End of the World as We Know It".

Video: R.E.M.: This Film is On (1991) included "Love Is All Around".

I'm not aware of any other releases of this material.


Thanks, I never picked up any of those MTV Best ofs, we have the Nirvana and 10,000 Maniacs Unplugged and we've played the hell out of them over the years. I will be very pleased to pick up this R.E.M. set.



As for Monster, I've loved it from the beginning. It breaks my heart to see it in every shelf of CDs at every thrift store I've ever shopped at.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 04-03-14, 04:41 PM
  #112  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 43,729
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Why aren't these Unplugged CD sets available for pre-order on Amazon?
Decker is offline  
Old 05-13-14, 09:06 AM
  #113  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,020
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Amazon link
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...pf_rd_i=507846

Price seems too good to be true? ($13.88 for 2 CDs)
milo bloom is offline  
Old 05-13-14, 09:37 AM
  #114  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,896
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I preordered at amazon when it was $16.99 and, considering the pricing of their reissues, thought that was a good deal.
auto is offline  
Old 05-19-14, 04:13 PM
  #115  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 43,729
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

My copy should arrive from Amazon later today. The album is already on my cloud thanks to Auto-Rip. Sounds great (especially compared to the old cassette I used to have of that first Unplugged show). I really think that first Unplugged is REM at their absolute peak - creatively and commercially. I love that I'm finally able to own that performance. Buying an Unplugged CD on the day of release -- it's like I just went back in time 20 years!
Decker is offline  
Old 05-19-14, 09:27 PM
  #116  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 469
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
My copy should arrive from Amazon later today. The album is already on my cloud thanks to Auto-Rip. Sounds great (especially compared to the old cassette I used to have of that first Unplugged show). I really think that first Unplugged is REM at their absolute peak - creatively and commercially. I love that I'm finally able to own that performance. Buying an Unplugged CD on the day of release -- it's like I just went back in time 20 years!
Picked up the set today and it does sound great!

And then the announcement of the full catalog available today, mastered for iTunes, including Chronic Town and over 150 rarities now in one place. Say what you will about the quality of digital mastering but it's pretty awesome seeing everything there now. Great day for R.E.M. fans.
dave94 is offline  
Old 05-19-14, 09:46 PM
  #117  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2001
Location: East of Ypsi
Posts: 8,896
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Due to demand, the band announced they'll be releasing the unplugged shows on two separate vinyl releases.
auto is offline  
Old 05-19-14, 11:47 PM
  #118  
DVD Talk Limited Edition
 
The Antipodean's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2000
Location: Auckland, New Zealand
Posts: 6,110
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I was really happy to see they're putting R.E.M. rarities out at last, as I've long wanted some kind of career-spanning box set and there's a ton of great stuff out there... and then I saw that both the IRS and Warner bros "boxes" of 150+ songs are planned to be digital-only.

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/05/19/...r-digital-box/

I'm not paying $80 for a bunch of Mp3 files, and it seems like this kind of set is the sort of thing obsessive collectors like me would be glad to pay out for a nice physical package of. Really hope a "tangible" release is in the future for these rarities sets.
The Antipodean is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 12:11 AM
  #119  
DVD Talk Legend
 
PhantomStranger's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The Phantom Zone
Posts: 21,885
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Originally Posted by The Antipodean View Post
I was really happy to see they're putting R.E.M. rarities out at last, as I've long wanted some kind of career-spanning box set and there's a ton of great stuff out there... and then I saw that both the IRS and Warner bros "boxes" of 150+ songs are planned to be digital-only.

http://theseconddisc.com/2014/05/19/...r-digital-box/

I'm not paying $80 for a bunch of Mp3 files, and it seems like this kind of set is the sort of thing obsessive collectors like me would be glad to pay out for a nice physical package of. Really hope a "tangible" release is in the future for these rarities sets.
Yeah, I would have snapped that up as a CD box set in a second. Considering most R.E.M. fans are likely still clinging to CDs (their age makes them ripe as current CD consumers), it's a curious move.
PhantomStranger is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 01:47 AM
  #120  
Banned by request
 
Supermallet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Location: Termite Terrace
Posts: 54,156
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Originally Posted by dave94 View Post
Picked up the set today and it does sound great!

And then the announcement of the full catalog available today, mastered for iTunes, including Chronic Town and over 150 rarities now in one place. Say what you will about the quality of digital mastering but it's pretty awesome seeing everything there now. Great day for R.E.M. fans.
I assumed that "mastered for iTunes" meant "made to sound okay on tinny earbuds", but in fact reading more about it, it may actually result in better sounding digital files than your basic MP3.

Originally Posted by auto View Post
Due to demand, the band announced they'll be releasing the unplugged shows on two separate vinyl releases.
Nice! I wanted to snag the RSD set but I wasn't even able to get to the stores that day. This is even better as I will likely just get the 1991 release because it has most of my favorite songs by the band.
Supermallet is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 08:41 AM
  #121  
DVD Talk Hero
 
Decker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 1999
Location: Vegas, Baby!
Posts: 43,729
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I feel like I was very familiar with the Unplugged version of End of the World as We Know It (perhaps I owned the Best of Unplugged Vol 3 at one time) - like I remember the phrasing and such. This version sounds different. I wonder if it's from a different take like a rehearsal or something. Anyone else notice that? At very least, there isn't the intro where Michael Stipe talks about having to get someone go find the lyrics and write them down and how he's not sure they're right. Oh, the good old days pre-internet.

BTW : it's not one of their best songs or anything, but I absolutely love their take here on "Belong". With the complex harmonies, it's not a song that would be easy to pull off in a live unplugged setting and they do an amazing job here.
Decker is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 08:44 AM
  #122  
DVD Talk Legend
 
Join Date: Feb 2002
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 14,339
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I would jump at a Rarities cd box, but I am not interested in mp3s.
cdollaz is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 09:36 AM
  #123  
DVD Talk Legend
 
milo bloom's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Chicago suburbs
Posts: 13,020
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Blerg, I hope my wife doesn't see the digital offer, that's the kind of thing she would buy me because she hates having physical copies. She wants all books on Kindle, all music in MP3 and all movies and TV shows on streaming.

I'm okay with some of it being in the cloud, but R.E.M. is a group that I'll always hang onto my CD collection.
milo bloom is offline  
Old 05-20-14, 10:11 AM
  #124  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: Dallas, Texas
Posts: 469
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

Originally Posted by Decker View Post
I feel like I was very familiar with the Unplugged version of End of the World as We Know It (perhaps I owned the Best of Unplugged Vol 3 at one time) - like I remember the phrasing and such. This version sounds different. I wonder if it's from a different take like a rehearsal or something. Anyone else notice that? At very least, there isn't the intro where Michael Stipe talks about having to get someone go find the lyrics and write them down and how he's not sure they're right. Oh, the good old days pre-internet.
They did remove the pre-song talk where they say it was a request from MTV (Mike replies with "those guys again" ) Other than that, it sounds like the same exact take that I had on a cassette from a Westwood One broadcast back in the day.

Last edited by dave94; 05-20-14 at 06:41 PM.
dave94 is offline  
Old 05-21-14, 04:43 PM
  #125  
DVD Talk Hall of Fame
 
dolphinboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Location: AZ
Posts: 8,034
Re: R.E.M.: Deluxe Edition Reissues Thread

I doubt that I'll buy the rarities set anytime soon unless there is a physical box set release, but I'd definitely like to grab Chronic Town if they really are going to sound better than my old cd. Anyone know if they will?

Also, has anyone checked out iTunes already? I see two listing for Chronic Town. One is just under the heading "Albums Mastered for iTunes" and is $4.99 but if you click Complete Studio Albums, there they also have a stand alone purchase choice for Chronic Town but it's $6.45. Anyone know if there's a difference between the two?

Thanks!
dolphinboy is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.