Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

70's scorpions...why arent they given credit?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

70's scorpions...why arent they given credit?

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-09, 09:49 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 88 Likes on 67 Posts
Re: 70's scorpions...why arent they given credit?

Originally Posted by chino77
why no love for them?
Klaus Meine. I don't like his voice at all. Music's great until he starts singing
Old 05-11-09, 06:51 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Gunde
Klaus Meine. I don't like his voice at all. Music's great until he starts singing
That's the first time I have ever heard that criticism. To each their own, but I'm gonna guess you are in a huge minority with that opinion.
Old 05-12-09, 05:30 AM
cck

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Gonna have to second this opinion.

And since they were mentioned earlier in this thread, same goes for Rush with Geddy Lee.

Finally, I'll toss out another big recommendation for the most recent Scorpions live DVD. Awesome stuff.
Old 05-15-09, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

to clear up confusion...i meant why arent they given credit as one of the first metal bands? in the 70's they were heavy as hell (for the time) yet you never hear them mentioned.
Old 05-15-09, 08:41 PM

Originally Posted by Michael Corvin
I think the OP's use of 'credit' is wrong. 'Lasting presence' is probably more appropriate.
no it isnt...they are only known for thier 80's output. why arent they known for their 70's music? it was pure metal but all we ever hear is sabbath this and sabbath that. like i said...why arent they given credit? sure sabbath brought the dark riffs but the scorps brought the solos,vocals, and balads. they paved the way for 80's metal.

i want to know what was as fast and heavy as "speedys coming" in 74'.

Last edited by chino77; 05-15-09 at 08:50 PM.
Old 05-15-09, 08:53 PM

here listen to this he sounds different you might like it. different vocals kick in around 1:25.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/M889TJBeF8A&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/M889TJBeF8A&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 09-24-10, 08:40 PM

bump because im listening to them and loving it. seriously the best metal band of the 70's.

what bands had guitar anywhere as close to this in the 70's? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IjhBaM-Fd34

Last edited by chino77; 09-24-10 at 08:47 PM.
Old 09-25-10, 11:32 AM

I have not listen to early scorpions music IN TRANCE, VIRGIN KILLER and before i might have to go get these cds.
Old 09-25-10, 04:12 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by sniper007
I have not listen to early scorpions music IN TRANCE, VIRGIN KILLER and before i might have to go get these cds.
Add "Taken By Force" to that list as well.
Old 09-25-10, 05:44 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by chino77
to clear up confusion...i meant why arent they given credit as one of the first metal bands? in the 70's they were heavy as hell (for the time) yet you never hear them mentioned.
Probably because the bands typically listed as the first heavy metal bands had been releasing albums 3-4 years before The Scorpions and had much more notoriety and influence.
Old 09-26-10, 01:35 AM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,808 Likes on 1,129 Posts

Shit! I missed this thread the 1st time through. I'm hearing some great 70's Scorps here.
Old 09-26-10, 08:16 AM
kd5
DVD Talk Legend

Received 373 Likes on 253 Posts

Originally Posted by cck
Gonna have to second this opinion.

And since they were mentioned earlier in this thread, same goes for Rush with Geddy Lee.

IMHO, the Scorpions wouldn't be the Scorpions without Klaus Meine, just as Rush wouldn't be Rush without Geddy Lee.

The earliest Scorpions album I have is 'Lonesome Crow' ('72) but my 2 favorite songs from early Scorpions come from the 'Fly To The Rainbow' LP mentioned above: They Need A Million and Drifting Sun (written by Ulrich Roth). -kd5-
Old 09-26-10, 08:32 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,731 Likes on 1,885 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Probably because the bands typically listed as the first heavy metal bands had been releasing albums 3-4 years before The Scorpions and had much more notoriety and influence.
It might just be because of when I was "coming of age," but it seems like the Scorpions didn't really come into the heavy metal scene until Blackout and Love at First Sting, and sort of rode into it with Quiet Riot's "Cum on Feel the Noize," and "Turn Up the Radio" by Autograph, back when the whole LA metal scene started happening.
Old 11-08-10, 11:44 PM

When i got home this evening the scorpions box set i order about two weeks has arrive. This set is awesome the axe killer warriors set (2 disc) has in trance, virgin killer + 7 more songs that include the album fly to the rainbow.http://www.importcds.com/Music/1049098?ref=sz The cover to virgin killer that by itself is worth having.