Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-09, 08:33 AM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Originally Posted by TomOpus
So excited, I changed my delivery to 1-day shipping for the mono box.
I'm getting my stereo box from Amazon on the day of release for only around $8 shipping. I wouldn't mind if it came a day early, though.
Old 09-04-09, 01:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another review worth a read, this from the UK's Guardian: http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...in-mono-review

I will be fiscally responsible and not cave and buy the mono set if it becomes readily available...
I may be fiscally responsible and not cave and buy the mono set if it becomes readily available...
I hope I'm fiscally responsible and not cave and buy the mono set if it becomes readily available...
Old 09-04-09, 02:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Unboxing photos from All Songs Considered.

http://www.npr.org/blogs/allsongs/20...atles_box.html
Old 09-04-09, 03:16 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by auto
Is there a spot in the Book of Vision for the DVD? Supmallet?
That's a negative. But you can slot it into one of the spots for Yellow Submarine (the compilation) or 1 or Love.
Old 09-04-09, 03:31 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I'm holding out hope that I will be able to walk into Best Buy on Tuesday morning and find a Mono Set.
Old 09-04-09, 04:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
That's a negative. But you can slot it into one of the spots for Yellow Submarine (the compilation) or 1 or Love.
Not if I buy the stereo albums indivdually and the mono box.

Another question, since Revolver includes the mono and stereo, if you're picking up the mono box, no reason to buy the stereo release, right?
Old 09-04-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's the original stereo on Revolver and not the re-mastered, right?
Old 09-04-09, 05:24 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by auto
Not if I buy the stereo albums indivdually and the mono box.

Another question, since Revolver includes the mono and stereo, if you're picking up the mono box, no reason to buy the stereo release, right?
I'd have to re-read the press release, but I thought it was Help! and Rubber Soul that had the stereo mixes included, and those would be the 1965 stereo mixes, not the 2009 stereo mixes.

Also, I believe the guy who does the Box of Vision said he'd be offering extra pages for people who bought both sets. Probably for a small fee, but that way you can fit in both.
Old 09-04-09, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

Originally Posted by Alvis
I'm getting my stereo box from Amazon on the day of release for only around $8 shipping. I wouldn't mind if it came a day early, though.
A day early would be very cool. My stereo box is arriving the day after the mono. Nice one-two punch.
Old 09-05-09, 05:43 AM
Banned by request

OK, so I got a chance to hear some of the stereo remasters tonight, and to compare them against the 1987 discs. There is no comparison. The remasters blow the old discs away in detail, richness, and clarity. I tried out A Hard Day's Night (the song) and it was like night and day (no pun intended). I was hearing things in the remaster that were only hinted at in the old disc. Not every single song is as dramatic of a bump, the I don't think anyone would ever confuse the two versions, nor prefer the old 1987 discs. Wednesday is going to be a joyous day for all of us.

Now all I can do is wait impatiently for the mono discs!

Edit: However, due to budgetary concerns, I ended up canceling the stereo box, and instead ordered The White Album, Abbey Road and Let It Be separately while maintaining my original order for the mono box.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-06-09 at 05:00 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 07:06 AM
JAA
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by kstublen
I'm holding out hope that I will be able to walk into Best Buy on Tuesday morning and find a Mono Set.

Sorry, I couldn't help it. Don't forget a prayer to go along with your hope.
Old 09-05-09, 11:10 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I'm trying to decide which ones I'll pick up. I've got Abbey Road, White Album, Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, and Revolver. Looking at the Target deal, I'd like to take advantage of that to the fullest extent. However, I can't afford all 14 right now! I'm thinking I'll double dip on the ones I've got now, but that leaves one more to grab since it's "Buy 2, get a $5 card".

Thoughts on the sixth one to complete it?
Old 09-05-09, 12:19 PM

I've had the stereo box for a week now.

I will say, the sound on certain titles will blow people away. Certain songs on "The White Album" have actually startled me with their clarity.

The mini-documentaries, on the other hand, are nothing special. They are brief -- three or four minutes -- and use A LOT of recycled quotes from "The Beatles Anthology" series. They basically weave those quotes with bits of videos and animated archive photos (it's quite similar to the "Watchmen" animated comic). I watched them all once on the DVD and can't imagine ever doing so again -- although I've watched, say, "The Beatles Anthology" numerous times over the years.

So, in other words, anyone who is thinking of buying the stereo box just to get that DVD -- it's NOT worth it. However, if you think you are going to end up buying all the titles anyway, you might as well get the box. It's pretty sturdy and it's held shut by magnets.

Since I got the stereo box for free, I'm very tempted to buy the mono box on Wednesday. The practical side of me thinks it's crazy to spend $200-plus on this, but the collector side of me thinks I'll regret it if the mono box does become a collectible.

Oh, and I've spoken to a publicist from Capitol's reissue department. They are being very cagey about what "limited" means and she refused to reveal an actual number. Actually, it won't surprise me if whatever few land in B&M stores Wednesday disappear, but then suddenly in the coming weeks, they'll just randomly show up here and there, as Capitol can get more pressed.
Old 09-05-09, 12:54 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by reubs82
I'm trying to decide which ones I'll pick up. I've got Abbey Road, White Album, Sgt. Pepper's, Magical Mystery Tour, and Revolver. Looking at the Target deal, I'd like to take advantage of that to the fullest extent. However, I can't afford all 14 right now! I'm thinking I'll double dip on the ones I've got now, but that leaves one more to grab since it's "Buy 2, get a $5 card".

Rubber Soul.

Alternatively, A Hard Day's Night sounds fantastic in stereo. The space offered by stereo works well with the natural buoyancy of the songs and performances. Seems like you're more into later Beatles rather than earlier Beatles, but personally I think A Hard Day's Night is a masterpiece of pure pop songcraft.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-06-09 at 04:54 PM.
Old 09-05-09, 05:09 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by reubs82

I'd get either Let It Be or Rubber Soul....
Old 09-06-09, 11:50 AM
Banned by request

I'm now doing comparisons between the mono and the stereo. The differences are, at times, startling. Paperback Writer and Lady Madonna, as examples, feel much heavier and tougher in mono. On the other hand, something like Daytripper seems to benefit from the more open sound that stereo provides. I seem to prefer the mono for a lot of the songs, but not all of them. I'm about to jump into The White Album to see how I feel about that, since it's the only album The Beatles mixed in both formats themselves.
Old 09-06-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
I'd have to re-read the press release, but I thought it was Help! and Rubber Soul that had the stereo mixes included, and those would be the 1965 stereo mixes, not the 2009 stereo mixes.

Also, I believe the guy who does the Box of Vision said he'd be offering extra pages for people who bought both sets. Probably for a small fee, but that way you can fit in both.
It is Help & Rubber Soul that require buying the mono box to get the REAL stereo mixes. I find this situation ridiculous.........
Old 09-06-09, 04:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 124 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmosis
I've had the stereo box for a week now.

I will say, the sound on certain titles will blow people away. Certain songs on "The White Album" have actually startled me with their clarity.

The mini-documentaries, on the other hand, are nothing special. They are brief -- three or four minutes -- and use A LOT of recycled quotes from "The Beatles Anthology" series. They basically weave those quotes with bits of videos and animated archive photos (it's quite similar to the "Watchmen" animated comic). I watched them all once on the DVD and can't imagine ever doing so again -- although I've watched, say, "The Beatles Anthology" numerous times over the years.

So, in other words, anyone who is thinking of buying the stereo box just to get that DVD -- it's NOT worth it. However, if you think you are going to end up buying all the titles anyway, you might as well get the box. It's pretty sturdy and it's held shut by magnets.

Since I got the stereo box for free, I'm very tempted to buy the mono box on Wednesday. The practical side of me thinks it's crazy to spend $200-plus on this, but the collector side of me thinks I'll regret it if the mono box does become a collectible.

Oh, and I've spoken to a publicist from Capitol's reissue department. They are being very cagey about what "limited" means and she refused to reveal an actual number. Actually, it won't surprise me if whatever few land in B&M stores Wednesday disappear, but then suddenly in the coming weeks, they'll just randomly show up here and there, as Capitol can get more pressed.
Must be nice to be a reviewer!!!! (-:
Old 09-06-09, 04:50 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by MooMooMooMoo
It is Help & Rubber Soul that require buying the mono box to get the REAL stereo mixes. I find this situation ridiculous.........
Well, the 1965 stereo mixes, yeah. George Martin did the 1987 stereo mixes, too, so I'd say those are pretty authentic. Either way, both of those albums sound better in mono.

Edit: By the way, it's worth it to get the mono box for A Day In The Life and Hey Bulldog. Hey Bulldog is a total beast in mono, it feels toothless in comparison in stereo. And A Day In The Life becomes much more intense, the orchestra runs are practically bearing down on you. Really powerful stuff. The rest of the material is great, of course, but those two songs impressed me so much I listened to both multiple times, just in awe of how much better they are in mono.

Oh, and Ringo's drums become far more prominent in all the mono mixes, and Paul's bass sounds beefier. It really is like hearing these songs for the first time.

Last edited by Supermallet; 09-06-09 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-06-09, 05:20 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,151 Likes on 900 Posts

I'm probably gonna jump on the Target deal this week and hopefully pick up all 14 cd's individually. I wouldn't mind having the box set but since it sounds like the bonus dvd is nothing too great and the only other advantage of the set is the nice box it comes in I'll just live with having them separate. Plus $35 in Target gift cards is a nice bonus. Hopefully at a later time I'll pick up the mono set as well. Still kind of on the fence if I want to get The Beatles: Rock Band though. If I do I'll likely just pick up the game alone and not the instrument set.
Old 09-07-09, 06:43 AM

A long, but worthy review of the remastered discs up to Revolver (pt 2 is coming soon). http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...1963-66-219124

Also, anyone in the Baltimore area: Sound Garden is selling the discs @ $12.99 and offering $3 "discount" if you trade in old Beatles discs in exchange.
Old 09-07-09, 12:54 PM

I picked up "Magical Mystery Tour" at an indie that is notorious for breaking street dates - I wanted to pick one to tide me over until I could get them a little cheaper on release day and went with the sentimental favorite.

At first I wasn't so impressed but by halfway through 'The Fool on the Hill' I was totally sold. These sound great and I can't wait to get my hands on more on Wednesday.

I will say, though, I think it's totally ridiculous that there are typos on these things. The disc label lists the 'Let It Be' mini-documentary rather than the 'MMT' one, but the back sleeve is correct. Nonsense.

Last edited by brokenhanger; 09-07-09 at 01:32 PM.
Old 09-07-09, 01:29 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 443 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by IronWaffle
A long, but worthy review of the remastered discs up to Revolver (pt 2 is coming soon). http://www.musicradar.com/news/guita...1963-66-219124
Seems like that reviewer mostly prefers the new stereo remasters to the monos.
Old 09-07-09, 02:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

After debating over whether or not to wait for BDs which could take several years, I think I'm going to try to get the mono set when they produce more. I'll get Abbey Road and Let It Be in the meantime.
Old 09-08-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

According to my local channel, Beatles on itunes available soon.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.