Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Old 04-16-09, 10:17 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Originally Posted by grip
From the article:
Finally, as is common with today's music, overall limiting - to increase the volume level of the CD - has been used, but on the stereo versions only. However, it was unanimously agreed that because of the importance of The Beatles' music, limiting would be used moderately, so as to retain the original dynamics of the recordings.
WHY???
Old 04-16-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by fuzzbox
while all of this sounds great, am I the only one slightly disturbed to see all of this information about remastering the albums and NOT seeing the words "George Martin" anywhere on the pages???

-jason
He officially announced that LOVE would be his last work as a producer. He's retired.
Old 04-17-09, 04:31 AM
Cool New Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats my brithday too. Love the older stuff. Didnt really like much after about 1966. Are there any pre order prices around anywhere yet?
Old 04-17-09, 10:34 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cungar
He officially announced that LOVE would be his last work as a producer. He's retired.
This should have been done properly a long time ago.
Old 04-17-09, 11:32 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm in for both sets.
Old 04-17-09, 11:41 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Location: Northern New Jersey...or as we say it "Sopranos Country USA"

Originally Posted by grip
Remastering Detail

"guess I'll have to buy the White Album again"
I like what I just read there. And even if George Martin isn't involved, I have full faith in the guys at Abbey Road.
Old 04-17-09, 04:52 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Originally Posted by shaun3000
WHY???
Yeah, really! They're not preserving the dynamics if they're applying any limiting. One more reason to buy the mono versions.

Maybe this calls for a petition?
Old 04-17-09, 06:16 PM
DVD Talk Godfather & 2020 TOTY Winner

Received 6,171 Likes on 4,201 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
Yeah, really! They're not preserving the dynamics if they're applying any limiting. One more reason to buy the mono versions.
I think I'd prefer "moderate" sound limiting over missing out on the stereo effects that were so important to the recordings in the psychedelic phase.
Old 04-17-09, 08:37 PM

Makes me glad I put off buying Beatles for all these years. My excuse was I didn't know what to buy first.
Old 04-17-09, 09:14 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Looks like i'll buy the Mono box set, and add Abby Road and Let it Be in Stereo since the stereo mixes are being sold seperatly
Old 04-20-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

From the article:
As an added bonus, the mono "Help!" and "Rubber Soul" discs also include the original 1965 stereo mixes, which have not been previously released on CD.
Does this mean that the Help! and Rubber Soul stereo releases (not the aforementioned bonus discs included with the mono discs) will still not contain the original stereo mixes? I'm starting to think so, because why else would they be packaged together with the mono versions?
Old 04-20-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tyler_Durden
From the article:
Does this mean that the Help! and Rubber Soul stereo releases (not the aforementioned bonus discs included with the mono discs) will still not contain the original stereo mixes? I'm starting to think so, because why else would they be packaged together with the mono versions?
I suppose it's possible that what they're calling the "stereo albums" have modern mixes, and these contain the original mixes.

BTW, I really wish they would have just made a DVD or two with the documentary footage instead of the Quicktime files on the CDs.
Old 04-20-09, 06:22 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

If you buy the stereo box set the press release is saying that it will contain a DVD with all the featurettes on it.
Old 04-20-09, 06:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by wahlers
If you buy the stereo box set the press release is saying that it will contain a DVD with all the featurettes on it.
Thanks, I just skimmed over it instead of reading it through.
Old 04-21-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

From the article:WHY???

Different remasters of Something by the Beatles. It makes me wonder where they're going with the 2009 stereo mix.

I might still be willing to buy the mono mixes.
Old 04-21-09, 11:16 AM

Originally Posted by Nick Danger
[img]

Different remasters of Something by the Beatles. It makes me wonder where they're going with the 2009 stereo mix.

I might still be willing to buy the mono mixes.
From what I read in the article, the mono mixes are also being remastered. Does that mean that there could be clipping in the mono CDs?
Old 04-21-09, 02:07 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Are there any clipping issues in the "Love" compilation? I heard nothing but good things about it.

Plus, I'm not to worried about these remasters because it is produced by the same guys who did "#1's" and "Let It Be..Naked" which sound amazing to me.
Old 04-21-09, 06:31 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,457 Likes on 927 Posts

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2009...tered-reissued
The Beatles' back catalogue set for remastered re-release

All 12 Beatles studio albums will be reissued on CD on 9 September to coincide with their first video game

* Sean Michaels
* guardian.co.uk, Wednesday 8 April 2009 10.14 BST

The Beatles at Abbey Road studios in 1967

The Beatles remastered ... the Fab Four's entire run will receive a digital makeover. Photograph: David Magnus/Rex Features

The Beatles, Apple Corps and EMI Music have finally, at long last, agreed to rake in several million pounds. After more than two decades of waiting, all of the band's original studio albums are to be re-released in digitally remastered stereo versions.

From Please Please Me to Abbey Road, the Fab Four's entire run will be reissued on CD on 9 September, the same day that the mop-tops' first video game, The Beatles: Rock Band, will be released.

According to a statement, engineers at EMI's Abbey Road studios spent four years on the remasters, "utilising state-of-the-art recording technology alongside vintage studio equipment [and] carefully maintaining the authenticity and integrity of the original analogue recordings". The recordings were last overhauled in 1987.

In addition to the Beatles' 12 "canonical" albums, this flurry of releases includes a remastered version of Magical Mystery Tour, and the Past Masters I and II compilations issued in a single set. This is also the first time that the Beatles' first four albums will be released in stereo on CD.

"You really can tell the difference," said Beatles expert Kevin Howlett, who wrote the new liner notes. "It's an extraordinary thing to sit there and hear LPs that you know so well and hear little nuances that you hadn't noticed before."

The albums will be available individually or as a box set. For traditionalists, a box set of mono recordings will also be available – with each disc styled as a vinyl LP.

Each of the reissued albums will include the original UK album art, original and new liner notes, and a booklet of photos that are, at least until every household in Britain buys the new discs, "rare". A short documentary will also be squeezed on to every CD, telling the story of each album's genesis.

Never ones to overlook an opportunity, EMI have also compiled the mini-documentaries on to a single DVD.

Although the Beatles' re-remasters have been rumoured for years, most Fab Four fanatics expected them to be part of the Beatles' entry into online music sales. The Beatles are one of the last major groups to have spurned iTunes Music Store, and their music cannot be legally purchased in MP3 or any other downloadable form.

Negotiations between the Beatles, their labels, publishers and online distributors appear to have stalled, and these new reissues, among the year's most important releases, will not be available for purchase in downloadable form.

On the bright side, Howlett remarked, "they sound louder than previous CD reissues." Well worth the wait.
Hoo-fucking-ray for louder CDs!
Old 04-21-09, 07:07 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 10 Likes on 3 Posts

I don't understand the point of it all. Isn't that what volume knobs are for??
Old 04-21-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The idea is that the tracks will be "competing" with other music, like discs on a changer (or tracks on an MP3 player these days), and they will stand out if they're louder. People often make the assumption that louder is better.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Loudness_war

Also, compressing the dynamics could make them perceived to be better on portable devices with earbuds, especially in public environments with background noise. It's catering to the lowest common denominator, basically.
Old 04-22-09, 10:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It's the full-frame DVD of the audio world.
Old 04-22-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

That's why these go up to 11.
Old 04-22-09, 07:25 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Capitol Box Sets sound marvelous and they were remastered in the exact same way. People getting up in arms about this before they hear the discs are worrying over nothing.
Old 04-22-09, 07:43 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
The Capitol Box Sets sound marvelous and they were remastered in the exact same way. People getting up in arms about this before they hear the discs are worrying over nothing.
Yes, we need to wait and see. CDs in the 80s were much lower in average volume compared to later discs. Around the early to mid 90s, they were louder, but better than the 80s masters IMHO. It's the end of the 90s to now that things went to hell. (This is all generally speaking, from what I've heard.) If these remasters are along the lines of the mid 90s discs ("1993" in Nick Danger's pic), they should be fine.

Last edited by Drexl; 04-22-09 at 07:47 PM.
Old 04-23-09, 02:50 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 715 Likes on 585 Posts

CDs in the 80s were much lower in average volume compared to later discs
I noticed that too when I listen to CDs made in the 80's.

does anyone have the artwork for the box sets?

I hope this is not naive but I hope the stereo box sets costs $79 or less since they are older CDs and that would be a fair price especially in this economy.

$149 or something like that would be ridiculous

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.