Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-09, 02:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Yellow Submarine will be the original LP with the instrumentals. The "Songtrack" was released as a special thing when the DVD was released.
Old 04-07-09, 02:42 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Good to know. Not that I ever listen to the instrumentals, but it's nice to have them. And in the original packaging, too.
Old 04-07-09, 07:00 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,300 Likes on 944 Posts

This would be worth standing in line at a midnight release party.
Old 04-07-09, 08:58 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MBoyd
I read speculation that these would be sold as Mp3's on their own website also and not iTunes.
I blame Jobs and the Woz -- if only they'd named their company Tangerine, Apple Music would be more willing to go digital.

(Of course, then Tangerine Dream would be pissed.)
Old 04-07-09, 09:06 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
I blame Jobs and the Woz -- if only they'd named their company Tangerine, Apple Music would be more willing to go digital.

(Of course, then Tangerine Dream would be pissed.)
If only they had known back in 70s they'd be in the music business. Too bad one of the
Spoiler:
Losties who went back to the island and joined Dharma
couldn't have told them.
Old 04-07-09, 11:10 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

I worked at a record store as the original CD releases came out. It was a huge deal. We sold a lot of them, and played all of them in the store.

Yeah, the remasters are about 10 years overdue...
Old 04-08-09, 12:21 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I worked at a record store as the original CD releases came out. It was a huge deal. We sold a lot of them, and played all of them in the store.

Yeah, the remasters are about 10 years overdue...
The discs came out two per week and there was a ton of fanfare. I made a trip to the record store every tuesday to get these.
Old 04-08-09, 01:15 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 82 Likes on 49 Posts

These releases will be mine!!!!
Old 04-08-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I had most of the original CDs. Then an ex GF sort of kept them during college after the break-up and I fell away from listening to the Beatles. I bought LOVE a couple of years ago and really liked it and will probably buy at least one of these sets.
Old 04-08-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

My only gripe is that the mono and stereo versions are separate releases, rather than combined. It's the only way to get the best of both worlds (e.g., the mono set having the original 1965 stereo mixes of Help! and Rubber Soul). It would've been nice if they restored the songs via the multi-track tapes as was done for the Yellow Submarine Songtrack and Love, but then purists would be in an uproar over the tampering of the original sound.

Nonetheless, I'll still get both.
Old 04-08-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I'll easily buy every last disc in the collection. And it's streeting the same day as The Beatles: Rock Band, which is a must purchase (along with the Beatle-inspired instruments). I might as well take that week off...
Old 04-08-09, 12:44 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I'll easily buy every last disc in the collection. And it's streeting the same day as The Beatles: Rock Band, which is a must purchase (along with the Beatle-inspired instruments). I might as well take that week off...
Actually, you better work....maybe get some overtime!!
Old 04-08-09, 01:00 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,075 Likes on 650 Posts

I am not a huge purist so I am wondering what the attraction to getting both sets are? Why get the mono version? I kind of understand wanting the original version but if there is a better sounding stereo version available, why get the mono?

I am not criticizing but am honestly curious. It may change my perspective to just buy the stereo versions.
Old 04-08-09, 01:39 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by auto
Actually, you better work....maybe get some overtime!!
Agreed. This will be a very expensive day.
Old 04-08-09, 01:56 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd
I am not a huge purist so I am wondering what the attraction to getting both sets are? Why get the mono version? I kind of understand wanting the original version but if there is a better sounding stereo version available, why get the mono?

I am not criticizing but am honestly curious. It may change my perspective to just buy the stereo versions.
Many fans/purists feel that the mono albums (up to and sometimes including Sgt. Pepper) sound better, more natural, tighter, whatever. Others feel that a natural stereo mix can be produced from the original masters. To be honest, I prefer the mono mixes but enjoy the stereo ones as well, which is why I'm psyched to have both.
Old 04-08-09, 02:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
Many fans/purists feel that the mono albums (up to and sometimes including Sgt. Pepper) sound better, more natural, tighter, whatever. Others feel that a natural stereo mix can be produced from the original masters. To be honest, I prefer the mono mixes but enjoy the stereo ones as well, which is why I'm psyched to have both.
What does a "tight" CD sound like? Is there such a thing as a loose sounding CD? Why would an album being in mono make it sound "tighter"?
Old 04-08-09, 02:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cungar
What does a "tight" CD sound like? Is there such a thing as a loose sounding CD? Why would an album being in mono make it sound "tighter"?
Shhhh. Relax.

Many complain the stereo sounds too dispersed; that the reproduction sounds more artificial and less natural sounding than the mono. That the mono is a "better" reproduction of the material. YMMV.
Old 04-08-09, 02:54 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To me, it is like comparing the sound of A Hard Day's Night album (mono) to The White Album (stereo).

A Hard Day's Night stands out more - was a little louder and easier to listen to. If I mixed the two albums on one tape/CD mix, the songs from AHDN were louder than the White Album. If a song from the White album came on, I had to raise the volume in order to hear it.

That's what I think the difference is.
Old 04-08-09, 05:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Which albums weren't released in mono, the white album and Abby Roads? If these sound anything like the "Love" remixes, I will be a happy camper. These will be availible seperatly right? I only really want the 2 past masters, and everything past rubber soul, as to be honest, i am not the hugest fan of the really early Beatles.

to anwser the question, why mono, I have always hated the "fake" stereo sounds on Beatles albums (that, and they give me a headache when listening on headphones), since usually have the singing in one speaker and the instruments in the other, or a little mix here and there. Maybe they can fix that/make it sound better then the remaster

Last edited by Rypro 525; 04-08-09 at 05:43 PM.
Old 04-08-09, 05:55 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

One thing about the mono mixes is that they weren't just fold-downs of the stereo counterparts. They were specifically mixed with a particular sound design in mind, which is why a lot of the Beatles songs differ quite a bit with the two versions. They often utilized different takes with alternate lead vocals or instrumentation, among other things. There are a bunch of these mono versions posted on Youtube; the difference is almost like night and day.
Old 04-08-09, 05:55 PM
Banned

As long as no P. Diddy or other rapper is remixing these everything is cool!
Old 04-08-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Eplicon
One thing about the mono mixes is that they weren't just fold-downs of the stereo counterparts. They were specifically mixed with a particular sound design in mind, which is why a lot of the Beatles songs differ quite a bit with the two versions. They often utilized different takes with alternate lead vocals or instrumentation, among other things. There are a bunch of these mono versions posted on Youtube; the difference is almost like night and day.
Not only that, but they would spend weeks on the mono mixes, often laboring over them, and the stereo mixes would be completed shortly after under much less time.

It's clear which versions they cared about most - at least through the White Album - it was the mono mix.
Old 04-08-09, 07:17 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff
Not only that, but they would spend weeks on the mono mixes, often laboring over them, and the stereo mixes would be completed shortly after under much less time.

It's clear which versions they cared about most - at least through the White Album - it was the mono mix.
Yep. The Beatles themselves were very involved in the mono mixes and then left on holiday while someone else knocked off the stereo mixes without their input. The early stereo mixes were treated as if they were no more than a novelty.
Old 04-09-09, 06:35 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I hope you guys are right that these aren't going to be compressed. I'll believe it when I see the WAVs.
Old 04-09-09, 07:42 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by wm lopez
As long as no P. Diddy or other rapper is remixing these everything is cool!
Excellent contribution!

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.