Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

Old 08-23-09, 02:30 PM

Re: Beatles Remasters Officially Coming 09-09-09

The White Album followed by Abbey Road
Old 08-23-09, 02:46 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
What about Sandinista?
What kills Sandinista for me is that I think a lot of the material is really sub-par for The Clash, especially coming off London Calling, which actually probably should be on the list with The Beatles/Sign O' The Times.
Old 08-23-09, 05:51 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
The White Album has too many duds.
I find zero 'duds' on that album and I listen to it all the way through each and every time I play it. As if it were vinyl and I couldn't skip tracks so easily (without possibly damaging the record or the needle). It's definitely a mood record. Like Pink Floyd's The Wall. Or, Queensr˙che's Operation: Mindcrime.

I'm so happy the band stuck to their guns and kept it a double record. I can't imagine it cut down to 45 min. Although, I've seen many try...
Old 08-23-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by Suprmallet View Post
Sign O' The Times is the only other freewheeling kaleidoscopic double album I can think of that is as stunning in its variety of musical styles.
Originally Posted by NoirFan View Post
What about Sandinista?
Sandinista was a triple album....so there!

Old 08-24-09, 12:56 AM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by TomOpus View Post
I loved the fact that it's not a total polished, "full of hits" recording. The band was almost publicly announcing the fracturing that was happening within the band. The unevenness of the album showed that they were just a band and not a BAND. For whatever reason, I really liked that.
It certainly has peaks and valleys. What's always bugged me was "Revolution". This might be the consummate studio band. How the hell did they not realize that the album version was way inferior to the single version? It's one thing to shun away from popular single-driven music, but it's quite another to put one take of a single song on your album while a clearly vastly better take was already available. I've never understood it and that inclusion knocks the entire album down a notch. Revolution #9, well that's a piece de merde, but at least there's something endearing in it's crappiness.
Old 08-24-09, 02:23 AM
Banned by request

You have to remember that at the time, singles were considered as important as albums, and in Britain, it was considered a rip-off to put a lot of singles on the album (whereas in America, people wanted their albums to be filled with the latest hits). Clearly they recorded two different versions of the song, liked both, and felt this was a good way to get the song out twice without being perceived as a rip-off.
Old 08-24-09, 04:34 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Drexl View Post
I'd bet that the masters they made for these CDs are higher than CD quality though.
Exactly. They're 192 kHz/24-bit, same as the songs on the Neil Young Blu-rays.
Old 08-24-09, 04:38 PM

Originally Posted by WasslKitty View Post
While McCartney was not 'hands on" in the mixing process at that stage, he was most certainly was up in the control room with the rest of the Beatles when it was done.
Not true. From the book "The Complete Beatles Recording Sessions", page 108:

"The only real version of Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band is the mono version," says Richard Lush. "The Beatles were there for all the mono mixes. Then, after the album was finished, George Martin, Geoff (Emerick) and I did the stereo in a few days, just the three of us without a Beatle in sight."

From the new issue of Rolling Stone:

Up until Abbey Road, the Beatles themselves focused almost entirely on mono versions. "In the main, we thought mono," McCartney says, noting that the band spent weeks on the mono mix of Sgt. Pepper, and then left the stereo to George Martin and engineer Geoff Emerick. "The stereo mix wasn't really important to us - we figured, well, you just spread the mono."

From WNEW's interview with John Lennon in September of 1974:

Dennis Elsas: You know, many of these things have been remixed with stereo...

John: Oh, it was awful.

Dennis Elsas: Yeah, I think the original monaural recordings are...

John: I didn't realize it happened. When they put out that package last year...

Dennis Elsas: The blue and red...

John: The two albums. I just thought...I presumed that they would just copy `em from the masters and put `em out. And I didn't even listen to it until after it was out and I took it back and I played it and it was embarrassing, you know. I mean some of the tracks survived, but it was really embarrassing. Some fool had tried to make it stereo and it didn't work.

Dennis Elsas: People should stay with the mono and not be so...

John: Cause there's a difference between stereo and mono, obviously. If you mix something in mono, then you shouldn't try and fake it. You lose the guts of it, you know. A lot of them lost their...The fast version of "Revolution" was destroyed, you know. I mean, it was a heavy record and then they made it into a piece of ice cream.
Old 08-24-09, 05:50 PM
Banned by request

What did Lennon know? Doesn't he realize people in America heard them in stereo first, so that's the better mix? What a dick!

Spoiler:
Old 08-25-09, 03:03 PM

So, is there any indication about the availability of the mono set in B&M stores? I never pre-ordered it because Amazon never had a good price and I never could figure out Barnes & Noble's coupons/discounts to offset the tax and shipping/membership costs.
Old 08-25-09, 05:51 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Revolver, hands down.
Old 08-25-09, 06:38 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Originally Posted by roughdraft_zero View Post
So, is there any indication about the availability of the mono set in B&M stores? I never pre-ordered it because Amazon never had a good price and I never could figure out Barnes & Noble's coupons/discounts to offset the tax and shipping/membership costs.
Amazon never had a good price? I pre-ordered and saved $70 off MSRP. IF you can find it at a B&M you're gonna pay close to MSRP.

I always say if you want something... get it while you have a chance, especially if it's limited like the mono box is. Pay a few extra bucks? At least you'll have it.
Old 08-25-09, 07:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I just have this feeling that the mono box is going to be gone really quickly.

They only pressed something like 5000 mono box sets in 1982 when they reissued the vinyl, so they know that the demand for these isn't that great.
Old 08-26-09, 12:19 AM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Originally Posted by Oliver Clothesoff View Post
I just have this feeling that the mono box is going to be gone really quickly.
The mono box set is no longer available at Barnes & Noble, at least not for now.

"About the Mono Box: We are not currently taking orders on The Beatles in Mono box set. Please check back, as we hope to resume taking orders once the record company confirms the available inventory."

Last edited by SkullOrchard; 08-26-09 at 12:21 AM.
Old 08-26-09, 02:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by SkullOrchard View Post
The mono box set is no longer available at Barnes & Noble, at least not for now.

"About the Mono Box: We are not currently taking orders on The Beatles in Mono box set. Please check back, as we hope to resume taking orders once the record company confirms the available inventory."
Wow. I'm glad I put in my order last week.
Old 08-27-09, 02:37 PM
Banned by request

As we close in on 9-9-09, I'm having second thoughts about getting both sets. I don't think I need the stereo mixes of the pre-Yellow Submarine albums, since The Beatles didn't make those mixes. I'm considering going mono box only, then buying Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let It Be, and Past Masters individually. On Amazon the price of those four is about $55. I currently have the stereo box ordered from B&N for $152. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $100. And since all the discs are going in my Box of Vision anyway, I'm not terribly concerned about having the extra cases outside the box set.
Old 08-27-09, 03:03 PM

As we close in on 9-9-09, I'm having second thoughts about getting both sets. I don't think I need the stereo mixes of the pre-Yellow Submarine albums, since The Beatles didn't make those mixes. I'm considering going mono box only, then buying Yellow Submarine, Abbey Road, Let It Be, and Past Masters individually. On Amazon the price of those four is about $55. I currently have the stereo box ordered from B&N for $152. I'm just not sure it's worth the extra $100. And since all the discs are going in my Box of Vision anyway, I'm not terribly concerned about having the extra cases outside the box set.
You actually won't need YS since the true mono mixes for the songs exclusive to that album are included on the "Mono Masters" disc in the mono box set. Unless you really want the George Martin instrumentals, of course.
Old 08-27-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

I was actually thinking the exact same thing the other day.

Are they any other extras you get in the stereo set that you don't get by buying those individually? Books, dvds, etc?

Is there a good reason for having two of those albums and keeping the versions that The Beatles themselves feel are inferior?

Last edited by Spiderbite; 08-27-09 at 03:17 PM.
Old 08-27-09, 03:32 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Truffaut Fan View Post
You actually won't need YS since the true mono mixes for the songs exclusive to that album are included on the "Mono Masters" disc in the mono box set. Unless you really want the George Martin instrumentals, of course.
Oh! Even better. I didn't realize. That may seal the deal for me. Annoying that I need to pick up the stereo Past Masters for basically only The Ballad of John and Yoko.

Originally Posted by brianluvdvd View Post
I was actually thinking the exact same thing the other day.

Are they any other extras you get in the stereo set that you don't get by buying those individually? Books, dvds, etc?

Is there a good reason for having two of those albums and keeping the versions that The Beatles themselves feel are inferior?
The stereo discs come with video footage, and the box set collects all those videos onto a DVD, IIRC. However, after The Beatles Anthology I can't imagine these videos have any incredible revelations that Beatles fans didn't already know about. According to the product description, the DVD has 40 minutes of footage. Not really worth over $100 for me.

On the other hand, the stereo and mono mixes do differ significantly, and it might be interesting to have for archival purposes. Hmm....still on the fence about it.

Last edited by Supermallet; 08-27-09 at 03:36 PM.
Old 08-27-09, 03:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by cracksky View Post
I find zero 'duds' on that album and I listen to it all the way through each and every time I play it. As if it were vinyl and I couldn't skip tracks so easily (without possibly damaging the record or the needle). It's definitely a mood record. Like Pink Floyd's The Wall. Or, Queensr˙che's Operation: Mindcrime.

I'm so happy the band stuck to their guns and kept it a double record. I can't imagine it cut down to 45 min. Although, I've seen many try...
I like Revolution #9 for what it is, an aural experiment. It's po-faced Important Art, but it makes me laugh. But I don't know what you see in Savoy Truffle or Bungalow Bill.

I also think that The Wall would have been improved if they had cut it down to 60 minutes. That was the last Floyd album I bought on vinyl, and I didn't get it on CD. I'm a pre-Wall completist.
Old 08-27-09, 03:47 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Yeah, I was reading other's thoughts on a thread in Amazon re stereo vs. mono to try to help make up my mind but it didn't really help. Wish there were 5.1 mixes on the stereo sets. That would help.

After cashback, I got the stereo set for around $135 shipped. So I will probably just stick with it since it does have the documentaries you mention but that is only something I would probably watch once or twice. I still don't think I have watched Anthology completely since I bought my dvd set when it first came out. And My Anthology book hasn't been cracked. I need more free time. I would also like to maybe listen for comparison reasons. Damn...hard call.

Everyone is freaking out because even the Stereo boxset is sold out at Amazon even though there will be more. Others are panicking because they waited to pre-order the mono set and now it can't seem to be found to order at most places.
Old 08-27-09, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Wish I had bit on the Mono Set and hadn't waited...looks like it isn't going to be available anymore (Amazon, B&N, etc.)
Old 08-27-09, 03:55 PM
Banned by request

I forgot about cashback, I guess I will get both.
Old 08-27-09, 04:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Mark my words, the Mono set will be available again. We might not see a better price than the long dead B&N deal but there are more Mono sets to come.

The limited Mono set is the "numbered" set. The second printing won't be numbered but who really cares about that? I'm just speculating but I'll bet you I'm correct.
Old 08-27-09, 05:38 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Nick Danger View Post
I like Revolution #9 for what it is, an aural experiment. It's po-faced Important Art, but it makes me laugh. But I don't know what you see in Savoy Truffle or Bungalow Bill.

I also think that The Wall would have been improved if they had cut it down to 60 minutes. That was the last Floyd album I bought on vinyl, and I didn't get it on CD. I'm a pre-Wall completist.
Savoy Truffle is probably my favorite Harrison tune next to Something, Here Comes The Sun & While My Guitar Gently Weeps. I love how it's basically an aural assault as it builds and if you listen to it with headphones, by the end of it (at the right sound level) your hearing is wiped out for a second until Cry Baby Cry comes in to level it back out again. Bungalow Bill is just a fun little linking song with a great segue into Weeps.

You say The Wall would work cut down to 60 minutes but try doing it. Plus, for a single LP, it would have needed to be around 45-50 minutes. There were maybe two songs I could've cut when I was younger but not now. It's gold to me. Every second. Final Cut is another story...

Search this Thread

Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.