Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kiss - Sonic Boom (WALMART EXCLUSIVE 2CD/1DVD) 10/06/09

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kiss - Sonic Boom (WALMART EXCLUSIVE 2CD/1DVD) 10/06/09

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-09, 05:30 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
re: Kiss - Sonic Boom (WALMART EXCLUSIVE 2CD/1DVD) 10/06/09

I really don't think album sales play a major role in Kiss' revenue stream at this point.
Old 07-19-09, 06:40 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

Originally Posted by d2cheer
I agree... but do you think it will actually sell that many copies?

The last AC/DC CD sold well but I can't really compare them to anything like that. Just wondering if they are doing this and it will be a bust for them. I would think it would have to at least go Gold for it to be considered a success. IMHO anyway. They are kicking ass on their recent tour though... 90,000 at a recent concert in Canada!!
If this is a WalMart exclusive as the reports have indicated then with WalMart promoting it like they did the AC/DC album it could definitely sell 500,000 - 600,000 copies. Black Ice was good, but it wasn't great. Hell, if KISS puts out their best album in 32 years then I wouldn't count out the possibility of a million seller. WalMart can sell a lot of units if they want to.
Old 07-19-09, 08:01 PM
Banned by request

If it's a Wal-Mart exclusive I won't be buying it.
Old 07-20-09, 12:59 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it's a Wal-Mart exclusive, I'll be buying two copies.
Old 07-22-09, 08:03 AM

Received 27 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
If it's a Wal-Mart exclusive I won't be buying it.
I guess you're not a KISS fan then. Most of us have been waiting for 11 years for some new KISS music!
Old 07-22-09, 12:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by BackStJoe
I guess you're not a KISS fan then. Most of us have been waiting for 11 years for some new KISS music!
Well to be fair, he said he wouldn't buy it. Didn't say anything about not listening to it. Draw your own conclusions, although I plan on trading furs for it.
Old 07-22-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy
Well to be fair, he said he wouldn't buy it. Didn't say anything about not listening to it. Draw your own conclusions, although I plan on trading furs for it.

LOL! Thanks for that. Best laugh I've had all day.
Old 07-22-09, 03:11 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by Lemmy
That's a pretty ridiculous reason to NOT buy an album. And I'm adamantly PRO-UNION.
I don't support Wal-Mart. Period.
Old 07-22-09, 04:01 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

why should kiss even care how much it sells, they're swimming in money as is.
Old 07-22-09, 04:11 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
LOL! Thanks for that. Best laugh I've had all day.
54-40 or fight, ya'll.
Old 07-22-09, 04:14 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by statcat
why should kiss even care how much it sells, they're swimming in money as is.
It sends a message to the band, that the fans want to hear more *new* music as opposed to hearing "Rock N Roll All Nite" for the umpteen-thousandth time.

As long as the music's worth listening to, that is.

I never shop at Wal-Mart. Ever. I could pretend it's for altruistic reasons, but in all reality I can't stand the place, being surrounded by ne'er-do-wells and shiftless hoodlums in dungarees, and the whole place smells like a bad day at the zoo. Ugh. Both filthy and foul.
Old 07-23-09, 09:19 AM
DVD Talk Legend

But do you support bands you like?

If their best chance at success lies with selling an album exclusively at WalMart you aren't just supporting WalMart, your supporting the band - and more importantly you're supporting MORE new music from that band.

If this album fails that's probably it - no more new KISS albums.
Old 07-23-09, 04:07 PM
Banned by request

Wrong. Kiss gets paid up front for going exclusively with Wal-Mart. They'll probably make more money just from Wal-Mart's payments to them than they would on actual album sales.
Old 07-23-09, 06:39 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 21 Likes on 8 Posts

AC/DC sold their album through their website, why wouldn't KISS? This is all a moot point, IMO.
Old 07-23-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Yeah, FUCK wal-mart for giving goods that consumers want for cheap prices! Shame on them!
Old 07-23-09, 11:31 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Wrong. Kiss gets paid up front for going exclusively with Wal-Mart. They'll probably make more money just from Wal-Mart's payments to them than they would on actual album sales.
But if the album stiffs that still means no new KISS albums going forward. Yeah, they'll have made THEIR money, but WalMart won't have made theirs, so there will be no exclusive deals for KISS in the future - from anyone. That would make it extremely unlikely that they'll be able to work any kind of deal that would be lucrative enough for them to spend the time, money, and effort of recording another new album in the future.

So the sales of this album DO matter. A lot.

Last edited by B5Erik; 07-24-09 at 08:29 AM.
Old 07-23-09, 11:54 PM
Banned by request

Originally Posted by DaveWadding
AC/DC sold their album through their website, why wouldn't KISS? This is all a moot point, IMO.
If they do this (and a portion of those profits don't go to Wal-mart) I will gladly buy it.
Old 07-25-09, 11:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Rumors are flying around that "KISS" is playing a private party tonight...

edit: from what I heard, it was just Gene & Paul appearing at a private function. Doing what? I don't know. Probably signing autographs from what anyone I knew could tell.

edit #2: crap. I guess they DID play. At least "Deuce". I think this is something that one of their managers didn't even know about...

Last edited by nodeerforamonth; 07-27-09 at 08:42 PM.
Old 07-29-09, 09:40 AM
DVD Talk Legend

From Guitar Player's Facebook page:
Guitar Player Magazine EditorBoy: KISS review. Heard 5 songs. If you dig KISS, you're gonna dig this new album. Paul sings his ass off. Eric plays some amazingly powerful drums. Gene was finally made to play all of his bass parts (apparently, in the past, if someone had a cool bass idea, he let them play it), and he DOES have a pretty driving sound. Finally, Paul and Tommy's guitars sound HUGE -- with some fab riffs and '70s-style solos.
Old 07-29-09, 03:07 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
From Guitar Player's Facebook page:

Guitar Player Magazine EditorBoy: KISS review. Heard 5 songs. If you dig KISS, you're gonna dig this new album. Paul sings his ass off. Eric plays some amazingly powerful drums. Gene was finally made to play all of his bass parts (apparently, in the past, if someone had a cool bass idea, he let them play it), and he DOES have a pretty driving sound. Finally, Paul and Tommy's guitars sound HUGE -- with some fab riffs and '70s-style solos.

Old 07-29-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

when Black Ice came out I bought it directly from the AC/DC website. I hope Kiss does the same. I feel icky whenever I go near Walmart.
Old 07-29-09, 09:24 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The thing you've got to remember is that while Gene hasn't played bass on many of Paul's songs over the last 30 years he has played both bass and rhythm guitar on most of his own.

He was a guitar player before he was a bass player and he seems to like playing guitar in the studio more than he does playing bass. Hell, he played a lot of guitar on his 1978 solo album, but didn't play bass on a single song.

But he does have a really good bass playing style and that was a big part of KISS' sound in the 70's, something that Paul wanted to recapture on this album.
Old 07-29-09, 11:23 PM
DVD Talk Godfather

Received 1,793 Likes on 1,121 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
The thing you've got to remember is that while Gene hasn't played bass on many of Paul's songs over the last 30 years he has played both bass and rhythm guitar on most of his own.

He was a guitar player before he was a bass player and he seems to like playing guitar in the studio more than he does playing bass. Hell, he played a lot of guitar on his 1978 solo album, but didn't play bass on a single song.

But he does have a really good bass playing style and that was a big part of KISS' sound in the 70's, something that Paul wanted to recapture on this album.

Sure. But it's still funny.
Old 08-02-09, 09:20 AM
DVD Talk Legend

More from Guitar Player on the new album:
"No surprise, but the five songs I heard had huge, anthemic choruses. The band played the basics LIVE in the studio -- the first time they've done that in a long, long time -- and, as a result, you get the fire and bombast of the early KISS ALIVE albums with the sonic dimension of tracks recorded in a studio setting. Sorry, I didn't jot down song titles."
And Eric Singer's recent comments about the album:
By Kristi Singer - For The Sun News

This is an exciting time for KISS and KISS fans as the band recently finished recording a new album, which will be its first new record of all-new material since 1998. The yet-to-be-titled album will feature 11 tracks and is scheduled to release Oct. 6.

"It's been 11 years since a full new KISS album of original material came out," Singer said. "This was totally a band effort. I'm excited because I'm pleasantly surprised that the whole process of making this record really was really easy and enjoyable and fun and the way you hope to make a record. Everyone was very low-pressure and low-key, and we took our time to make sure we got the performances that we wanted. Because we did it really organically. We didn't do it where we put it in a computer - we played in a room as a band, and when you do it that way you have to take your time and be well-rehearsed and take your time."

In addition to a new album, fans can anticipate an upcoming U.S. tour, new costumes and new stage show.

But no matter how busy the band is, Singer is always happy to meet his fans.

"The KISS fans are unlike any other fans in the world," he said. "I've played around with (several) bands in my career, and there are no fans like KISS fans."
Old 08-02-09, 09:42 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1,067 Likes on 646 Posts

All this talk and watch it come out and sound like Hot In The Shade II.

I never believe comments from band members when they are promoting their new album...especially before anything has been released. How many times have we heard from bands saying they are "going back to the basics" only to put out a nothing special, stale album. And magazines love to promote albums before they come out and then bash the shit out of them when they finally release.

I didn't believe it then and I don't believe it now. There is no way they will be able to recapture their 70's sound no matter how hard they try now.

I look forward to listening to it and it will be a must buy for me since I am a KISS completist...but let's stop with the band's hyperbole quotes every other week. They smack more of bullshit promotion than truth.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.