Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Kiss - Sonic Boom (WALMART EXCLUSIVE 2CD/1DVD) 10/06/09

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Kiss - Sonic Boom (WALMART EXCLUSIVE 2CD/1DVD) 10/06/09

Search this Thread

Old 10-08-09, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts
Re: Kiss - Sonic Boom (WALMART EXCLUSIVE 2CD/1DVD) 10/06/09

Originally Posted by Indy Jones Fan
I just watched the DVD that came with Sonic Boom. Anybody know what the audience kept singing inbetween songs? Paul didn't seem to know what to do with them when they did that.
South American audiences are *VERY* enthusiastic, to say the very least. They chant, they sing, they have buttloads of fun at concerts.

My wife's nephew, who's Ecuadorian, went to see Toto down there a few years back. Toto is apparently *HUGE* in Ecuador. Every time they finished a song, the crowd went berserk and kept chanting "HOLD THE LINE! HOLD THE LINE!"

Toto apparently played "Hold The Line" *THREE TIMES* during the show.
Old 10-08-09, 08:11 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Hokeyboy

Toto apparently played "Hold The Line" *THREE TIMES* during the show.
Why not? It's their only decent song.
Old 10-08-09, 08:47 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Giantrobo
Anyone catch KISS on Letterman? I tuned in about mid-song or just after they started.
saw and it sounded great !!!

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Saw a KISS Korner today at Wal-Mart and was really tempted to grab an album (the $5 Millennium Masters set with their 70s hits), just for a few hits, despite thinking musically, they are well overrated.

A question for the fans though, does it bother you that Ace and Peter were replaced with guys who kept their predecessors looks? I remember previous replacements had their own image and that seemed ok, but personally I have a hard time buying the current incarnation of KISS.

The word from the KISS camp is that they maintained Ace's and Peter's personas because, if they hadn't, then all their fans would be royally cheesed-off. To say this is disingenuous as hell would be putting it midly. They are maintaining the personas to maintain consistency with branding, marketing, merchandising, and so forth. The longtime, hardcore fans don't want to see someone else dressed up like Ace or Peter, and the new or fair-weather fans either don't know or don't care that the Cat and the Spaceman aren't the originals.

As a longtime fan, I'm not a fan of it. The Spaceman is SO much a creation of Ace Frehley, so much part of the persona he's maintained both in and out of Kiss, that seeing Tommy Thayer in the makeup and costumes is just annoying. I don't really care so much about the Peter Criss/Eric Singer issue, but then again I'm not a Criss fan anyhow.
Would i like to see Ace And Peter in the band ? YES do i mind that other people are "playing" the roles ??? No ...

Kiss is a very unique band ... there really is 2 alter egos to each guy in the band theres the legal names then theres the stage names then theres the character names ... if i remember correctly back during the symphony days in order to do the show the promoter wanted atleast 3 original member in the band in order to go forward with the show... i think now Paul and Gene Guarantee all 4 Characters to be a part of the shows thats another reason why Tommy and Eric dont get characters for themselves its all business its not really "oh we own the characters so we do as we please" its more easier for business.

Eric is a much better drummer then peter is ... i thought peter kicked ass in the farewell shows but he was sorta slow during the world domination tour.

as for ace he was asked to re join the band during the symphony & again when they went out on the world domination tour but i think ace for a good while has closed his KISS chapter and wants to do his own thing. I saw him live during the rocket ride tour and hes still at the top of his game

my question is why didnt they ask Bruce back ? Bruce has said that he wasnt approched about the gig and if he had been he wouldnt have taken it because of all the work he has now and he never knows when his tenure with KISS will end again .
Old 10-08-09, 09:26 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I love Ace, but I don't want to see him back in KISS, really. Musically, both sides seem to be doing better without the other.

Peter? Ehh...
Old 10-08-09, 11:20 AM

"Jimmy Kimmel Live" performance (10/07/09)

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LC36eLqmEo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-LC36eLqmEo&hl=en&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 10-08-09, 12:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 266 Likes on 194 Posts

Taken from Hits Daily Double:

KISS’ SONIC GOES BOOM!!

KISS’ Wal-Mart Exclusive Looks Headed for Top Spot Next Week

October 7, 2009

KISS their ass.
Gene Simmons has done it again. His Wal-Mart exclusive for the band’s new Sonic Boom album, its first new studio effort in 11 years, is headed for between 150-175k in sales, giving the masked rockers a beeline on their first chart-topping release ever.

That's based on reports from those retailers out there who haven't packed up and moved to Boca Raton or begun to write a tell-all biography.

Showdog Nashville’s Toby Keith album American Ride is the next highest at 80-90k, though Reprise crooner Michael Buble’s Crazy Love, which comes out this Friday (10/9) to coincide with the singer’s Oprah appearance, could also be in the mix.

Capitol Nashville’s Luke Bryan is next with 40-45k, along with Jive/JLG’s Relient K and Backstreet Boys.

Malaco’s veteran gospel act BeBe & CeCe Winans appear headed for the 30-35k range, followed by Columbia’s Brandi Carlile (25-30k), Cherrytree/Interscope’s Tokio Hotel (18-22k) and Atlantic’s Mayday Parade (18-22k).

Nice way better than I thought it would do!!
Old 10-08-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

#1, huh? Good for them if that really happens.

Still no KISS Korner at either of my local Wally Worlds, despite KISS' website containing information to the contrary. WTF?!?
Old 10-08-09, 05:54 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by B5Erik
My favorite tracks at this point include, "Modern Day Delilah," "Danger Us," and "Say Yeah," but there isn't a track on the album that I don't like. I do think that, "Russian," and, "Never," are the weakest on the album, but they're both pretty good anyway.
"Russian Roulette" should be the next single. Love it.
Old 10-08-09, 06:53 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
#1, huh? Good for them if that really happens.

Still no KISS Korner at either of my local Wally Worlds, despite KISS' website containing information to the contrary. WTF?!?
It's a Wal-Mart exclusive. Wally World or any other store isn't going to have it.
Old 10-08-09, 06:55 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

Originally Posted by nodeerforamonth
It's a Wal-Mart exclusive. Wally World or any other store isn't going to have it.
Wally World = Walmart.

He's saying they don't have the KISS Korner, not that they don't have the CDs. Same with the close Walmarts by me. Website says they will have the Korner, but they don't.
Old 10-08-09, 07:42 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by The Cow
Wally World = Walmart.

He's saying they don't have the KISS Korner, not that they don't have the CDs. Same with the close Walmarts by me. Website says they will have the Korner, but they don't.
Funny, my gf went to another one yesterday and they lookd at her like she had 3 heads. The guy told her to "go check the ladies dept." Really? For a KISS Korner? Sounds like this promotion was poorly handled, at best.
Old 10-09-09, 02:28 AM

i wont even ask the employees because of the same reactions people have gotten

even when i asked about the CD that was no where to be found in the electronics section

me: "do you guys have the new kiss album"

employee: "....?...."

me: "the new kiss album ... sonic boom"

employee "kiss ?????"

me: "........."

employee " OH !!! yeah yeah heres a copy theres more downstairs"

me: "oh ok thanks "

went downstairs hoping the placement of the cds would be in the KISS Korner ... and nope ... just a regular cd holder ...

Last edited by lovgun7; 10-09-09 at 02:33 AM.
Old 10-09-09, 09:55 AM

South American audiences are *VERY* enthusiastic, to say the very least. They chant, they sing, they have buttloads of fun at concerts.
Oh they were definitely having a party at the show. Whatever they were singing didn't sound like any KISS song which I thought was odd and seemed to have Paul a bit perplexed. It's pretty funny.
Old 10-09-09, 10:00 AM

I love Ace, but I don't want to see him back in KISS, really. Musically, both sides seem to be doing better without the other.

Peter? Ehh...
I guess I'm just a sappy, nostalgic fan. I'd love to see Ace and Peter still in the band.
Old 10-09-09, 10:55 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I have been to the KISS Korner twice (I got that Sweet 70's Printed Throw $10).

And today they add T-Shirt's (Women and Men) for $5 (S-XXL) there are 2 styles
(70's Theme and Sonic Boom)to choose from.
Old 10-10-09, 09:52 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Lemmy
Ummmm....you got ripped off then, my friend. It's currently only sold as the 3-disc (2 CDs and 1 DVD) edition.
I knew that. I exchanged it the next day.

Anyway, saw them last night at Uniondale, went home and bought tickets for tonight's show at MSG. The show was as good as '79. I'm sure it's just my twisted perception, but Tommy wearing Ace's makeup seems more deferential to his predecessor than Eric in place of Peter. That being said, Eric's solo was excellent. Actually, it was the only time he appeared to be working. The drum parts seem too easy for him. He could probably play them--poor taste spoiler warning
Spoiler:
Def Leppard style

Gene and Paul have a license to print money, and they never hold back trying to earn another million or two, but to me it's evident that they are not only in it for the cash. They put on a great show, and they appeared to be having a ball. I think for Gene, putting on the makeup and portraying the demon is a type of escape, an opportunity to jump back into a role that he loves to play. Lots of bands claim to love the fans, but I think KISS really does.
Old 10-10-09, 01:13 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

True so True Kromax I been fan for 33 years (1976-) and I know from just looking at Gene and Paul (Ace and Peter when they there) they love us old-school-glam/hard-rocks fans.
Old 10-10-09, 03:13 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I've been to 2 or 3 Wal-Marts a couple times each and I have yet to see a "KISS Korner" despite these wal-marts being on the list on kissonline.com.
Old 10-10-09, 05:57 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I've been to 2 or 3 Wal-Marts a couple times each and I have yet to see a "KISS Korner" despite these wal-marts being on the list on kissonline.com.
Mine didn't have it set up the first day, either, but on the next visit I found it set up. It was right on the side of the new release endcap, and was pretty sizable.
Old 10-10-09, 06:07 PM
Premium Member

Received 695 Likes on 465 Posts

On a side note, they played/featured several of the new songs on ABC college football today on the outs to the commercial breaks
Old 10-10-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Rocketdog2000
Mine didn't have it set up the first day, either, but on the next visit I found it set up. It was right on the side of the new release endcap, and was pretty sizable.
I just went to one this morning. No "Korner". They had the new (and old) KISS cd's in the racks and Sonic Boom t-shirts on top of them and m&ms, but that was it. Very small.

I was interested in the throw & an older shirt, but nothing.
Old 10-10-09, 10:32 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I just went to one this morning. No "Korner". They had the new (and old) KISS cd's in the racks and Sonic Boom t-shirts on top of them and m&ms, but that was it. Very small.

I was interested in the throw & an older shirt, but nothing.
Ours had the new CD,some of the catalog CD's, The KISSology DVDs, throws, Potato Heads, little resin statues, Gene Simmons Family Jewels DVDs and other stuff. It was a good 8 to 10 foot section.
Old 10-11-09, 12:14 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

What a weekend!

Took my dad to the Coliseum show Friday night, paying him back for taking me as an 11 year old kid in '79. He may have been the oldest person there, he may not have known any songs by name, but he had a great time.

I woke up Saturday in a bit of a funk. Friday night's show was too good, and it was over. Tried my luck online, and scored excellent seats for Saturday night at MSG. I took my wife, who has absolutely no interest in Kiss--she's into the R&B thing--although she could probably name 10 Kiss songs from having heard them for the last 14 years. She really enjoyed the show, and it was great having her with me for a huge moment in my life (that's what the music you grow up with does to you). Paul is right; when you're at the show nothing else matters.

Last edited by Kromax; 10-12-09 at 08:16 AM.
Old 10-11-09, 01:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Way cool Kromax I am trying think "79" that was Dynasty Tour (the last one with Peter).

I almost goto good to 1980 (age 9) Unmasked Tour (with the late great Eric Carr "I miss him").
Old 10-11-09, 09:20 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

I picked up the new CD today at our local wal mart. Pretty good so far, but I really need to listen to it more.

The "Kiss Korner" at our local wal mart sucks. Only Kiss M&M's, Kissology 1 and 2 and the new CD. The catalog titles are in the regular CD section and they only have Kiss thru Destroyer.

I was really hoping to pick up Alive or Creatures of the night. The set up for the ACDC rollout was much, much better.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.