Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Break out your baggy trousers: Stone Roses to reunite for tour, rerelease debut album

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Break out your baggy trousers: Stone Roses to reunite for tour, rerelease debut album

Old 03-23-09, 12:30 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

The Stone Roses 'set to reform for comeback tour in Britain and US'
The Stone Roses, the cult band that grew out of the 'Madchester' movement, are reportedly re-forming to play a comeback tour.

By Nigel Bunyan
Last Updated: 1:56PM GMT 17 Mar 2009

Reports suggest they will perform both in Britain and the United States, with at least 21 of the concerts being staged on this side of the Atlantic.

The news comes only months after the band's front man, Ian Brown, insisted there could never be a reunion. "No chance," he said. "Not in the next three lifetimes."

According to the Daily Mirror, Brown changed his mind following overtures from the band's guitarist, John Squire.

A source said: "It's taken a lot of time and effort to get Ian to agree but he's really up for it. He was the sticking point throughout the proceedings, but he's finally relented and signed on the dotted line. There's been a lot of speculation in the past but this is the real deal.

"The rest of the band was really up for it, especially when they realised the amount of money on the table.

"But Ian has forged a really successful solo career and wasn't very receptive to their plans. It's taken a while but he's finally come around to the notion."

Despite their continuing cult status, the band largely missed out in financial terms.

Only last month the bass player, Gary 'Mani' Mountfield, now with Primal Scream, admitted that he and the rest of the band signed with Silvertone because they were hungry.

"In essence, we signed to Silvertone 'cos we were starving and penniless and they gave us money to buy an Italian on the way home. That's the God's honest truth. They bought us an Italian and we dropped our collective knickers.

"We could have hung out for a major, but the time was right. We knew as we signed that it wasn't the best deal in the world. But we had to get the songs out."

The band released their second and final album, 'Second Coming', in 1994. However, it was their debut that won the most accolades, and even in recent years it has continued to feature highly in lists of top 100 albums.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/culture/m...in-and-US.html
Great news! Hopefully, they'll come around to my neck of the woods. I wouldn't mind making the trek to DC at all for a chance to see them perform.

As for the rerelease of their debut - one of my all-time favorite albums - I don't know if I'll pick that up. If they put bonus songs on there, I'm curious as to what they would be. Between Turns to Stone, The Complete Stone Roses, Garage Flower, and Remixed, I think I have pretty much every song they released before and during that time. What's left? Demos? Brand new remixes? Live stuff?

As an aside better suited for the video game forum, how awesome would it be to be able to play the entire album in "Rock Band"? Answer: very awesome. Now that would get me to buy the album all over again. Make it happen, Harmonix!
Old 03-23-09, 12:52 PM

Re: Break out your baggy trousers: Stone Roses to reunite for tour, rerelease debut a

is DC confirmed? watch, it'll be a date when I'm not in town.
Old 03-23-09, 01:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Re: Break out your baggy trousers: Stone Roses to reunite for tour, rerelease debut a

Oh, I didn't mean to throw out any misinformation or anything; as far as I know, no dates have been released. I only mentioned DC because that's the closest "big city" to Richmond that would be likely to get them to play. I'd much prefer staying around town, but I just don't envision them doing a show here or Charlottesville, for that matter. I'd love to be proven wrong, though.
Old 03-23-09, 02:15 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

I saw them in '94 and at that point they seemed passe. Isn't it funny how a band can be considered "out of it" only a few years on and then 15 years later there would be even more interest than from their original time period? At least I assume that would be the case for this tour. I know I'd enjoy seeing them again. That debut still holds a special place in my heart.
Old 03-23-09, 02:26 PM

the last and only time I saw them, was their disasterous Reading Festival swan song performance ... I am sooo excited about this news.

Last edited by Giles; 03-23-09 at 02:36 PM.
Old 03-23-09, 02:35 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

nice, just got into these guys a couple years ago. Never thought i'd get to see them.
Old 03-23-09, 03:11 PM
DVD Talk Hero

I would love a remaster/remix of their first album without all that shitty reverb - the whole album's drowning in it, and makes the otherwise great songs unlistenable now.
Old 03-23-09, 04:18 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Better put those baggy trousers back in the drawer...

from pitchfork:
Remember those Stone Roses reunion rumors we were more than a little skeptical about last week? Turns out our leeriness was totally justified, as both guitarist John Squire and singer Ian Brown have denied the news of a summer tour in separate statements.

Squire gets bonus points for dismissing the rumors and promoting his current endeavors all at once: The guitarist-turned-artist seems to have broke out the Microsoft Paint and graffitied one of his own pieces. Check it out:

Old 03-23-09, 04:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Old 03-23-09, 04:56 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by DJLinus View Post
Old 03-23-09, 04:58 PM

I knew it was too good to be true...
Old 03-23-09, 05:52 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Now these guys are reforming!!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7958814.stm
Old 03-23-09, 05:55 PM

^ I can't contain my excitement
Old 03-23-09, 06:05 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Lol!
Old 03-23-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by BadlyDrawnBoy View Post
If PM Dawn opens for them, I'm so there.
Old 03-25-09, 09:45 PM
DVD Talk Legend

So, is the re-release of their debut still on?
Old 03-26-09, 07:01 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

It seems like it. Just because the band doesn't want to make money off of my nostalgia doesn't mean Sony's giving up, too.

Stone Roses release remastered album
12/02/2009

The Stone Roses' self-titled debut album will be released in a new deluxe format to mark 20 years since it first hit the shops.

Original producer John Leckie is producing a remastered version of the 1989 album, and details of the track listing and contents for both a collectors' box set and smaller editions are yet to be announced.

Released in May 1989 when the "Madchester" music scene was at its height, The Stone Roses has been cited as among the greatest albums of all time.

Tracks include I Wanna Be Adored, She Bangs The Drums, Made Of Stone and I Am The Resurrection.

Sony Music will release the new versions in June.

http://www.mirror.co.uk/celebs/lates...5875-21118480/
Old 03-26-09, 11:34 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
^ I can't contain my excitement
I know this much is true
Old 03-26-09, 11:49 AM

Why do I find it hard to write the next line?