Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

4/28 - Heaven and Hell (Sabbath) - The Devil You Know

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

4/28 - Heaven and Hell (Sabbath) - The Devil You Know

Search this Thread

Old 04-16-09, 09:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: 4/28 - Heaven and Hell (Sabbath) - The Devil You Know

best buy has for 9.99 with DVD and free shipping
Old 04-16-09, 10:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck Finlay
I am pumped, I am excited that Iommi respected $haron's wishes about the name, and this release will rule
Fixed....I remember the press release she shot off right after the Dio announcement. Saying the Reunion was in no shape or form Black Sabbath and even promised a Ozzy/Sabbath album and tour coming up the following year.
Instead we get Black Rain..ugh. And now that DYK is about to be released we hear Ozzy is working on another new album....and the cycle repeats itself.

It was Iommi and Geezer's decision to make, without respect to the Osbournes.
It was made solely to distinquish Dio-era Sabbath from Ozzy-era Sabbath. Especially considering the original lineup was inducted to the RRHOF the same time as the new Dio collaboration.

Last edited by covenant; 04-18-09 at 11:29 AM.
Old 04-17-09, 02:18 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cdollaz
I'm a little disappointed in this one. I just expected a little more based on the 3 songs that were on The Dio Years, which were all great. These are mostly just good, with a little bit of greatness here and there. A lot of it reminds me of the more recent Dio albums, where weren't bad, just not very memorable. Iommi's riffs are there for the most part, they just aren't as memorable as on a lot of Sabbath material.
Bible Black is the only song that really grabs me from the new album. I love Heaven & Hell, but this album just isn't as good as Dehumanizer, at least at first blush. Not a bad record by any means, but I was hoping for more.
Old 04-18-09, 11:29 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Mordred
Bible Black is the only song that really grabs me from the new album. I love Heaven & Hell, but this album just isn't as good as Dehumanizer, at least at first blush. Not a bad record by any means, but I was hoping for more.
At first listen I wasn't very impressed. It took me some time to get used to Dio's more limited range. So far I give thumbs up to Bible Black, Double the Pain and Breaking into Heaven. The others I'll have to spend a little more time with.
Old 04-18-09, 04:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

'Follow The Tears' is pretty sweet.
As far as Dio's limited range goes ... not bad for a 65yr old heavy metal GOD

'Double The Pain' and 'Rock And Roll Angel' sound like something off Magica
'Eating The Cannibals' reminds me of 'TV Crimes'
Old 04-18-09, 06:49 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

Fear is probably the track I like best on the album. And, true, his voice sounds as strong as ever.
Old 04-18-09, 07:01 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 237 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant
Fixed....I remember the press release she shot off right after the Dio announcement. Saying the Reunion was in no shape or form Black Sabbath and even promised a Ozzy/Sabbath album and tour coming up the following year.
Instead we get Black Rain..ugh. And now that DYK is about to be released we hear Ozzy is working on another new album....and the cycle repeats itself.

It was made solely to distinquish Dio-era Sabbath from Ozzy-era Sabbath. Especially considering the original lineup was inducted to the RRHOF the same time as the new Dio collaboration.
Plus, Iommi and Butler probably have hopes of touring again with Bill Ward and Ozzy. I don't see that happening any time soon, but I'm sure they'd like to keep that door open till somebody keels over.
Old 04-20-09, 05:45 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 40 Likes on 24 Posts

New alternative album art and new animated promo video

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/eP8NkeVQyUU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/eP8NkeVQyUU&hl=en&fs=1&rel=0&color1=0x5d1719&color2=0xcd311b" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 04-20-09, 07:51 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i really like it. better than any cd post heaven and hell. dio sounds amazing just lie he did in the early 80's. my fav sabbath cd is heaven and hell...just sayin.
Old 04-21-09, 07:50 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I was just going to post the cover above but I was beat to it... Its listed as a "Walmart Exclusive" cover as if you are getting something special. I know Walmart probably had no objections to the oringinal cover

Last edited by cactusoly; 04-21-09 at 07:52 AM.
Old 04-28-09, 11:19 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I think this streets today. Also, for those in the area, the band is doing an in-store appearance at Best Buy in San Bernardino on Saturday, May 2nd. I plan to pick up my copy at lunch. Can't wait!
Old 04-28-09, 05:23 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 70 Likes on 46 Posts

I didn't care so much for it and was gonna wait and get it off of a trading site, but my local indie shop received a bunch of cd booklets, autographed by the entire band, from Rhino and gave them to people who pre-ordered. They look very nice so I went ahead and bought.
Old 04-28-09, 08:36 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 479 Likes on 351 Posts

I just picked this up today, and I've got to say it's pretty darned good. The samples that are up online don't do any of the songs justice. The album has a vibe and a flow that can't be captured by 30 second samples.

The production is excellent and the performances are strong. Dio's vocals are amazing for a guy pushing 67 - actually, they'd be impressive for a guy pushing 37!

This album kind of picks up steam as it goes along as a majority of the uptempo songs come in the album's 2nd half. Stylistically, call this one a blending of Dehumanizer, Mob Rules, and Heaven and Hell (in that order in terms of prominence).

If you like Dio-era Sabbath you'll probably like this one. It's a really good album.
Old 04-29-09, 04:22 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

I gotta say, I love it. I've listened to the entire album twice now. It's a slower, darker album than I was expecting, but nonetheless I'm extremely pleased with the result. Great album. I also picked up some adult movies.
Old 04-30-09, 10:03 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cactusoly
best buy has for 9.99 with DVD and free shipping
anybody knows what's on the DVD please?
Old 04-30-09, 10:09 PM

Have to say I'm disappointed after a few listens...the band performs well but the songs are boring. I wouldn't mind the plodding tempos if the riffs were catchier. Hopefully it will grow on me with repeated listens but I'm not encouraged so far.
Old 05-01-09, 03:43 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by fsubruce
Have to say I'm disappointed after a few listens...the band performs well but the songs are boring. I wouldn't mind the plodding tempos if the riffs were catchier. Hopefully it will grow on me with repeated listens but I'm not encouraged so far.
I felt the same way initally. But It grew and grew as I listened to it. There are still some songs on it I'll never like.

Last edited by covenant; 05-01-09 at 03:47 AM.
Old 05-01-09, 07:06 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by InnocentBlood
anybody knows what's on the DVD please?
band interviews and behind the scenes footage
Old 05-11-09, 07:59 PM

I've listened to this another half dozen times and confirm that it definitely grows on you. I rate it much better than I did on my initial listen. Dio's lyrics can still be pretty goofy but that's just part of the package with him.
Old 05-11-09, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Glad you like it!
Old 05-11-09, 10:45 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by covenant

Perhaps my info is bad, but I remember hearing that when Ozzy reunited with Sabbath, part of the deal was that Ozzy got part of the rights to the Sabbath name (previously owned wholly by Iommi), so any future Sabbath projects would have to have Ozzy's agreement before it went forward. Thus I believe it wasn't a matter of respecting Ozzy or Sharon's wishes, but a legal requirement that they couldn't get around. Regardless, I think using the name Heaven and Hell suits this lineup better.
Old 05-12-09, 10:27 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Suprmallet
Perhaps my info is bad, but I remember hearing that when Ozzy reunited with Sabbath, part of the deal was that Ozzy got part of the rights to the Sabbath name (previously owned wholly by Iommi), so any future Sabbath projects would have to have Ozzy's agreement before it went forward. Thus I believe it wasn't a matter of respecting Ozzy or Sharon's wishes, but a legal requirement that they couldn't get around. Regardless, I think using the name Heaven and Hell suits this lineup better.
Jeb: This is the 40th anniversary of Sabbath. Was there any talk from Ozzy or Sharon that they didn’t want you to use the name at this time? There is the possibility that you could have sold more albums if it was called ‘Black Sabbath.’

Geezer: It was up to us. Tony and I had gotten back together with Ozzy and did the Ozzfest tours. We didn’t want to confuse people anymore. We thought that now was the right time to change the name. We will have Black Sabbath with Ozzy and Heaven & Hell with Ronnie.

http://www.classicrockrevisited.com/...erbutler09.htm

That's about all I have on the subject....Maybe Geezer is blowing smoke. I dunno...

Last edited by covenant; 05-12-09 at 10:39 PM.
Old 05-12-09, 10:50 PM
Banned by request

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I'll take his word over my own in this case.