DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Prince to release new Album March 26, 2009 as a Target Exclusive (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/550974-prince-release-new-album-march-26-2009-target-exclusive.html)

JeffTheAlpaca 03-03-09 05:18 PM

Prince to release new Album Lotusflow3r March 26, 2009 as a Target Exclusive

Is he trying to copy Axl Rose and his Best Buy deal?

Doesn't this limit the sales with only one outlet carrying it?

The singer has inked an exclusive deal with Target to release all three of his new albums as one three-disc set starting March 29th. The package will bundle both Prince’s guitar-heavy Lotusflow3r and funky MPLSound with Elixir, the debut album by his newest protégé, Bria Valente.

http://livexs.nl/Joomla/images/stori...tusflow3r1.jpg

http://www.rollingstone.com/rockdail...s-1199-bundle/

Decker 03-03-09 05:39 PM

Re: Prince to release new Album March 26, 2009 as a Target Exclusive

Originally Posted by JeffTheAlpaca (Post 9303737)
Is he trying to copy Axl Rose and his Best Buy deal?

Doesn't this limit the sales with only one outlet carrying it?

Long Road Out of Eden went seven-times Platinum and was only sold at Wal Mart. Black Ice went double Platinum at Wal Mart only. I think Chinese Democracy had other issues hurting its sales number besides its Best Buy only distribution.

That said, I don't think anyone really believes Prince gives a flying fuck if his albums sell or not.

cdollaz 03-03-09 05:44 PM

I have no interest in he cd of his new discovery, but 2 Prince albums for $12 ain't bad. I'm in unless I hear they are terrible.

cdollaz 03-03-09 05:47 PM

These exclusives are good for the artists. They make much more per copy sold, and the album is marketed better. AC/DC has an entire section of the store set aside for them. When is the last time that happened for any artist, much less a hard rock/metal band.

slop101 03-03-09 06:40 PM

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 9303777)
I have no interest in the cd of his new discovery...

Neither do I, and I've never seen or heard her, but I bet she's smokin' hot.

JeffTheAlpaca 03-04-09 02:23 AM

This is Bria Valente

She was sitting with Prince courtside during a basketball game so maybe she is his new GF.

http://ickmusic.com/pics/artist/bria_v.jpg

http://simoneniga.files.wordpress.co...12/valente.jpg

vili 03-04-09 02:56 AM

I have the feeling that Prince makes most of his money from his concerts, so album releases are more like promotional events. Of course, this time around he is not giving it away for free like he did with his previous album.

By the way, I've been wondering about this for a couple of months now: is it only me who finds the album cover strangely butchered by the way Prince's face has been made hexagonal? While the style of the cover is not to my taste, I think that it is by and large very well made, except for that glaring error with the face! It is as if some professional made the background, and then an 8-year-old with "mad fotoshop skillz" went and pasted on the lower part of his face. Bizarre.

big whoppa 03-04-09 04:10 AM

I like the album cover. It has a very Earth Wind & Fire look about it. Christina Aguilera also gave Target an exclusive with her Greatest Hits album too.

nothingfails 03-10-09 06:45 PM

I am in definitely. I think it'll be much better to approach this as three separate albums, which is what he's intended, packaged together, as opposed to an overlong pretentious mess like Emancipation was.

hdtv00 03-10-09 06:54 PM

Prince did a deal with best buy a decade ago, he's hardly copying anyone. He is the pioneer in internet online music too from over a decade ago.

He gets up front money, and we all know he pockets basically all the money from sales unlike most artist. He makes more selling 1/4 than they do selling millions.

His last album I hated, his worst in forever if you ask me. This one like someone says at that price hell I'm in for a listen.

celmendo 03-10-09 06:58 PM

I'm There!:rock:

aintnosin 03-11-09 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by vili (Post 9304505)
I have the feeling that Prince makes most of his money from his concerts

That's actually true of most musical acts (at least those that tour).

macnorton 03-11-09 12:47 PM

Kick ass! I am on it. His last three have been pretty damn good and I doubt this one will disappoint.

EDIT - And yes we all knew Prince only hangs with the hottest of women...and maybe men, not sure on that one.

nothingfails 03-11-09 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by hdtv00 (Post 9317970)
Prince did a deal with best buy a decade ago, he's hardly copying anyone. He is the pioneer in internet online music too from over a decade ago.

He gets up front money, and we all know he pockets basically all the money from sales unlike most artist. He makes more selling 1/4 than they do selling millions.

This is true. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I remember reading an article around 2005 that said that Prince pocketed just as much money from Musicology's sales as he did from Purple Rain's sales.

Supermallet 03-11-09 03:58 PM

A guitar-heavy album and a funky album. Can't beat that combo.

Supermallet 03-15-09 12:46 PM

For anyone in the LA area, Prince will be doing shows and events TBA starting March 24th I just signed up for updates on the Lotus Flower website (Lotusflow3r.com). Hopefully I'll be able to get tickets to some of these events.

http://laist.com/2009/03/09/prince_p..._events_ha.php

gerrythedon 03-20-09 04:44 PM

Prince Plans 3 L.A. Shows In One Day To Launch New Albums, Website

Prince has a busy schedule next week. Along with performing three nights in a row (March 25-27) on the "Tonight Show with Jay Leno," the Purple One is scheduled to play three back-to-back concerts at separate venues in Los Angeles on March 28.

Prince is hoping the live appearances will help build anticipation for the March 29 release of his two new albums, "LOtUSFLOW3R" and "MPLSoUND." Both CDs, along with a third by new artist Bria Valente, will be available as a three disc set exclusively through Target for a price of $11.98.

Prince is also launching a fan subscription service called Lotusflow3r.com. For $77 a year, subscribers will get an as yet not fully outlined set of content that will include exclusive music, video, lyrics, artwork and photos.

On March 28, Prince is scheduled to perform three full-length concerts at Los Angeles' $2.5 billion L.A. Live sports and entertainment project, which is owned and being developed by AEG. Doors for the first show at Nokia Theatre L.A. Live will open at 5:30 p.m.; doors at the Conga Room open at 8 p.m.; and doors at Club Nokia will open at 11:30 p.m.

Fans will be required to purchase separate tickets for each concert. Tickets go on sale March 22 via ticketmaster.com and lotusflow3r.com for $77 (plus additional fees).

The "Tonight Show" performances are part of a larger rollout for the CD package in Los Angeles. In an e-mail message sent to fans who signed up for updates on lotusflow3r.com, Prince wrote, "From the 24th on, there will b a slew of NPG-related events happening around electric LAlaland.. we don't want 2 give away all the details yet, but b prepared 2 get yo groove on, numerous ways 4 numerous days. We know $ is tite but the adventures will b worth ur while! Stay 2ned 2 this outtaspacestation."

As previously reported, Prince is just the latest music legend to release new music exclusively through a major retailer. AC/DC and the Eagles were among the acts who sold millions of CDs through their partnership with Wal-Mart.

BILLBOARD.com

calhoun07 03-20-09 11:51 PM

The last time I really liked Prince and bought his albums was the around the late 80's/early 90's. I think Graffiti Bridge was the last one I bought.

I've listened with minor interest at his past few albums, and downloaded a few favorite tracks from Russian download sites.

But this? I really like how it's being marketed, and it's a great price for three CDs. I am not a huge fan of his, and I don't anticipate liking everything on the CDs, but I will certainly buy this just to support it. I want it to be successful so other artists do it as well. I am really fed up with the over priced CDs on today's market and support this kind of marketing that gets music on a physical format at a reasonable price.

Supermallet 03-21-09 04:18 AM

I'm so ready to get tickets to those shows.

Edit: Crap! I've already got tickets for Elton John and Billy Joel that night. Crap crap crap crap crap!

dvduser6 03-22-09 12:47 PM

Quick question: will this be a Target online exclusive only, or will it also be available at retail stores? This week's flyer doesn't have it listed at all. You'd think the deal he inked would include retail as well for higher potential sales.

gerrythedon 03-22-09 01:20 PM

Originally Posted by Jippy (Post 9341973)
Quick question: will this be a Target online exclusive only, or will it also be available at retail stores? This week's flyer doesn't have it listed at all. You'd think the deal he inked would include retail as well for higher potential sales.

It comes out the 29th, next Sunday. Target only.

Supermallet 03-22-09 01:27 PM

Well, looking at the schedule, I might be able to make it to the late Prince show after the Billy Joel/Elton John concert. I may end up getting a ticket after all.

mickey65 03-22-09 02:44 PM

"Sign O The Times" was his last good album. I haven't liked anything else he's done since then.

dvduser6 03-22-09 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by gerrythedon (Post 9342047)
It comes out the 29th, next Sunday. Target only.

Got it. Thanks for clearing that up!

calhoun07 03-22-09 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by mickey65 (Post 9342183)
"Sign O The Times" was his last good album. I haven't liked anything else he's done since then.

Certainly his all time classic...that's his Sgt. Pepper.