DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   The Mike Patton News & Appreciation Thread (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/550690-mike-patton-news-appreciation-thread.html)

auto 02-26-09 05:47 PM

The Mike Patton News & Appreciation Thread

http://media.movieweb.com/news/12.2007/mike_01.jpg

from wikipedia:

Michael Allan Patton (born January 27, 1968, in Eureka, California) is an American singer, songwriter, composer, multi-instrumentalist and video game voice actor, best known as the lead singer of the rock band Faith No More from 1988 to 1998, and from 2009 onward. He has also handled lead vocals for Mr. Bungle, Tomahawk, Lovage, Fantômas, The Dillinger Escape Plan, and Peeping Tom.

Patton has earned critical praise for his diverse vocals, which touch on crooning, falsetto, death growls, rapping, chanting, mouth music, beatboxing and scatting, among other techniques; critic Greg Prato writes, "Patton could very well be one of the most versatile and talented singers in rock music."

He has many producer or co-producer credits with artists such as John Zorn, The Melvins, Melt-Banana, Kool Keith, and Björk. He co-founded Ipecac Recordings with Greg Werckman in 1999, and has run the label since.

Selected Recordings

Faith No More

The Real Thing [1989]
Angel Dust [1992]
Songs to Make Love to [1993]
King for a Day…Fool for a Lifetime [1995]
Album of the Year [1997]

Mr. Bungle

Mr. Bungle [1991]
Disco Volante [1995]
California [1999]

Fantômas

Fantômas [1999]
The Director’s Cut [2001]
Millennium Monsterwork 2000 [2002]
Delìrium Còrdia [2004]
Suspended Animation [2005]

Tomahawk

Tomahawk [2001]
Mit Gas [2003]
Anonymous [2007]

Peeping Tom

Peeping Tom [2006]

Additional

Adult Themes for Voice [1996]
Pranzo Oltranzista [1997]
She (by Maldoror - Patton and Merzbow) [1999]
Lovage: Music to Make Love to Your Old Lady By [2001]
The Dillinger Escape Plan: Irony is a Dead Scene [2002]
Romances (by Kaada/Patton) [2004]
General Patton vs. The X-Ecutioners [2005]
A Perfect Place [soundtrack] [2008]
Crudo (upcoming album by Patton with Dan the Automator, strange and bizarre RnB) [2009]
Mondo Cane (upcoming album by Patton, Aldo Sisillo and Roy Paci, it's going to be live recording of the show or the studio versions of it. This is Italian pop covers from 50's & 60's) [2009]

With John Zorn

1992 - Elegy (arranged by John Zorn, Patton performs vocals)
1998 - Weird Little Boy (by John Zorn/Chris Cochrane/Trey Spruance/Patton/William Winant)
1999 - Music Romance, Vol. 2: Taboo and Exile (by John Zorn, Patton featured on Bulls-Eye)
2000 - The Big Gundown: John Zorn Plays The Music of Ennio Morricone (by John Zorn, Patton sings The Ballad of Hank McCain (Vocal)
2001 - The Gift (by John Zorn, Patton featured on Bridge to the Beyond)
2002 - Hemophiliac (Tzadik Limited Edition) (by Hemophiliac)
2002 - I.A.O. (by John Zorn, Patton contributes vocals on Leviathan)
2003 - Masada Anniversary Edition Vol. 2: Voices in the Wilderness (by Various Artists, Patton performs keyboards and vocals on Kochot)
2004 - 50th Birthday Celebration Volume Six (by Hemophiliac)
2005 - 50th Birthday Celebration Volume Twelve (by Painkiller, special guest vocals by Patton)
2005 - The Complete Studio Recordings (by Naked City, features Patton the on new "version vocale" of the track Grand Guignol)
2006 - The Stone: Issue One (by John Zorn/Dave Douglas/Patton/Bill Laswell/Rob Burger/Ben Perowsky)
2006 - Moonchild (conceived by John Zorn featuring Patton/Trevor Dunn/Joey Baron)
2006 - Astronome (conceived by John Zorn featuring Patton/Trevor Dunn/Joey Baron)
2007 - Six Litanies for Heliogabalus (conceived by John Zorn featuring Patton/Trevor Dunn/Joey Baron/Ikue Mori/Jamie Saft)

Albums featured

1995 - Burn or Bury (by Milk Cult, Patton performs vocals on Psychoanalytwist)
1996 - Roots (by Sepultura, Patton sings on the track Lookaway)
1997 - Blood Rooted (by Sepultura, Patton sings and co-writes Mine. His singing can be also heard on the remix of the track Lookaway.)
1997 - Great Jewish Music: Burt Bacharach (by Various Artists, Patton (vocals and keyboards) collaborates with David Slusser on She's Gone Away)
1997 - Great Jewish Music: Serge Gainsbourg (by Various Artists, Patton sings and plays all instruments on Ford Mustang)
1997 - Fear No Love (by Bob Ostertag, Patton contributes vocals to The Man in the Blue Slip and Not Your Girl)
1997 - AngelicA 97 (by Various Artists, House of Discipline contributes The Art Of Fist-Fucking (1 & 2) and Patton contributes to Romance For A Choking Man/Woman (with Marie Goyette) and cudegokalalumosospasashatetéwaot)
1998 - Charlie (by Melt-Banana, members of Mr. Bungle (and many others) contribute vocals for Area 877 (Phoenix Mix)
1999 - Memory Is An Elephant (by Tin Hat Trio, Patton sings on hidden track Infinito)
1999 - Tribus (by Sepultura, Patton co-writes and sings The Waste)
1999 - No Coração dos Deuses - Soundtrack (Patton performs Procura O Cara with members of Sepultura)
1999 - Song Drapes (by Jerry Hunt, Patton contributes text/vocals on Song Drape 7 "I Come")
2000 - The Crybaby (by Melvins, Patton sings and plays instruments on G.I. Joe)
2000 - Great Phone Calls (by Neil Hamburger, Patton featured on Music of the Night)
2000 - Down With The Scene (by Kid 606, Patton contributes vocals on Secrets 4 Sale)
2002 - Rise Above: 24 Black Flag Songs to Benefit the West Memphis Three (by Various Artists, Patton performs on Six Pack)
2003 - Patton performs vocals on Koolade (formerly titled "Kool-Aid Party"), an unreleased song originally recorded for the album Team Sleep
2004 - Virginal Co Ordinates (by Eyvind Kang, Patton contributes voice & electronics)
2004 - Medúlla (by Björk, features Patton on Pleasure Is All Mine and Where Is The Line)
2004 - White People (by Handsome Boy Modeling School, features Patton on Are You Down With It?)
2004 - The End of the Fear of God (by Various Artists, Patton duets with Kid 606 on Circle A)
2005 - Crime and Dissonance (by Ennio Morricone, compiled by Alan Bishop of Sun City Girls with Patton's commentary)
2005 - Toto Angelica (by Alvin Curran, contains snippets of past Angelica Festival performances, including Patton's in 1997)
2005 - Oceanic: Remixes/Reinterpretations (by Isis, Patton contributed a version of Maritime)
2005 - Burner (by Odd Nosdam, features Patton on 11th Ave Freakout Pt 2)
2005 - Wei-Wu-Wei (by Corleone: Roy Paci, Patton contributes vocals on Tutto diventerà rosso)
2006 - Wishingbone (by Subtle, features Patton on Long Vein of the Voice)
2006 - New Heavy (by Dub Trio, features Patton on Not Alone)
2006 - Trouble – The Jamie Saft Trio Plays Bob Dylan (by Jamie Saft Trio, features Patton on Ballad of a Thin Man)
2006 - Quero Saber (by Carla Hassett, duet with Patton on a cover of The Beatles' Julia)
2007 - Athlantis (by Eyvind Kang, Patton contributes vocals)
2007 - Vein (upcoming remix album by Foetus, Mike Patton contribution announced)
2008 - Another Sound Is Dying (by Dub Trio, features Patton on No Flag)
2008 - Profanation (Preparation for a Coming Darkness) (by Praxis, features Patton on Larynx)
2008 - Greatest Knockouts The Album, Vol. 2 (upcoming album by Rahzel, features Patton on Come Fly With Me)
2008 - upcoming debut album by former Mr. Bungle member Bär McKinnon's band Umläut will feature Patton on Atlas Face
2008 - Weather Underground (upcoming album by Massive Attack, Patton is set to contribute vocals)

Filmography

1990 - Live At The Brixton Academy, London: You Fat Bastards by Faith No More
1993 - Video Croissant by Faith No More
1998 - Who Cares A Lot: Greatest Videos by Faith No More
2002 - A Bookshelf on Top of the Sky: 12 Stories About John Zorn
2004 - Inner Part of an Animal or Plant Structure by Björk
2004 - Wamego: Making Movies Anywhere (Documentary on the making of Firecracker)
2005 - Firecracker - Frank/David
2006 - Live At The Brixton Academy, London: You Fat Bastards/Who Cares A Lot?: The Greatest Videos by Faith No More (double disc DVD compilation of previously released VHS titles)
2007 - Kaada/Patton Live - Live performance DVD
2007 - I Am Legend - Creature Vocals (voice) (credited as Michael A. Patton)[4]
2008 - A Perfect Place - Short film soundtrack by Patton (Released with film as CD/DVD special edition)
2008 - The Fantômas Melvins Big Band - Live DVD release of a summer 2007 performance in London
2009 - Crank 2:High Voltage

Video Games

2007 - The Darkness - Voice of The Darkness (Starbreeze Studios)
2007 - Portal - Voice of the Anger Sphere (Valve Software)
2008 - Left 4 Dead - (Turtle Rock Studios/Valve Software)
2008 - Bionic Commando - Voice of Nathan Spencer - the Bionic Commando (Capcom)
----------------------------------------------

With the recent news of Faith No More reuniting I was hoping we could have a thread detailing the multiple projects of Mike Patton.

Please feel free to comment on the different bands/projects and I will update with news as it comes in.

Let’s continue the FNM reunion discussion here as well.

auto 02-26-09 05:48 PM

Re: The Mike Patton News & Appreciation Thread

Faith No More reunite for European Tour

Originally Posted by cdollaz (Post 9294026)
The official announcement:

Faith No More has always stood out as some sort of unique beast; part dog, part cat–its music almost as schizophrenic as the personalities of its members. When it all worked, it worked really well, even if the chemistry was always volatile. Throughout our 17years of existence, the mental and physical energy required to sustain this creature was considerable and relentless. Though amicable enough, when we finally split, we all followed paths seemingly destined to opposite ends of the universe.

Yet during the entire 10 years that have passed since our decision to break up we’ve experienced constant rumors and requests from fans and promoters alike. Nevertheless, for whatever reason, none of us kept in regular touch, much less to discuss any possibilities of getting together.

What’s changed is that this year, for the first time, we’ve all decided to sit down together and talk about it. And what we’ve discovered is that time has afforded us enough distance to look back on our years together through a clearer lens and made us realize that through all the hard work, the music still sounds good, and we are beginning to appreciate the fact that we might have actually done something right.

Meanwhile we find ourselves at a moment in time with zero label obligations, still young and strong enough to deliver a kickass set, with enthusiasm to not only revisit our past but possibly add something to the present. And so with this we’ve decided to hold our collective breaths and jump off this cliff….
BACK, GOD FORBID, INTO THE MONKEY CAGE!!!

We can only hope that the experience of playing together again will yield results erratic and unpredictable enough to live up to the legacy of FNM.
Who know where this will end or what it will bring up…only the future knows. But we are about to find out!

FAITH NO MORE are:
Mike Bordin, Roddy Bottum, Bill Gould, Jon Hudson and Mike Patton

Dan 02-26-09 06:06 PM

I think it's worth mentioning that some of his more recent albums, along with a lot of his guest appearances, are on his own record label: Ipecac.

fallfan 02-26-09 11:12 PM

Looks like he's doing the score for the upcoming "Crank 2: High Voltage"

Supermallet 02-27-09 12:17 AM

I love Mike Patton. I saw him play with Fantomas with Melt Banana opening, and at the end of the set, Melt Banana came out and played with Fantomas. Totally awesome.

Cosmic Bus 02-27-09 01:55 AM

I made a mix CD a couple of years ago with a track from nearly every band, collaboration and guest spot Patton has been involved with over the years. Got some really strange looks when I listened to it at work... :lol:

auto 02-27-09 07:54 AM

Originally Posted by Cosmic Bus (Post 9294920)
I made a mix CD a couple of years ago with a track from nearly every band, collaboration and guest spot Patton has been involved with over the years. Got some really strange looks when I listened to it at work... :lol:

I did the same thing with the MusicTalk Mixtape project a few months back. I leaned heavier on his more traditional songcraft with only a little wackiness. Still, it was hard to fit even a sliver of his work into 80 minutes.

Hixx 02-27-09 11:14 AM

Gotta give a shout out to Lovage, by far my favorite non-FNM/Bungle Patton album.

His singing and the Automator's production style is a match made in heaven.

Luther Heggs 02-27-09 01:21 PM

Mondo Cane coming soon from Ipecac

EDIT: old video was taken down; here's a new one while it lasts

auto 02-28-09 10:02 AM

That project looks freakin' awesome. For those who don't know, Mondo Cane is an upcoming album of cover versions of 1950s and 1960s Italian pop music, performed by Patton with an orchestra.

auto 02-28-09 10:08 AM

Also, I can't remember where I read about it but Patton is also forming a new band with TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe and Subtle's Adam Drucker to record an album later this year. My brain cannot even comprehend what that will sound like.

bunkaroo 02-28-09 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by Hixx (Post 9295497)
Gotta give a shout out to Lovage, by far my favorite non-FNM/Bungle Patton album.

His singing and the Automator's production style is a match made in heaven.

Thanks for the recommendation - checking it out now. Sounds great.

Dan 02-28-09 12:33 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 9297030)
That project looks freakin' awesome. For those who don't know, Mondo Cane is an upcoming album of cover versions of 1950s and 1960s Italian pop music, performed by Patton with an orchestra.

I don't see a mention of this on www.ipecac.com. Any idea on the release date?

Cosmic Bus 02-28-09 01:21 PM

Originally Posted by SomethingMore (Post 9297263)
I don't see a mention of this on www.ipecac.com. Any idea on the release date?

Patton mentions in this interview that he hopes to have it out this summer.

For folks who enjoy the Lovage album and might be interested in some other less abrasive Patton, check out his collaboration with Kaada: Romances. There's also a live DVD available, and Kaada's own albums are fantastically unique.

Dan 02-28-09 01:59 PM

^actually, that interview says summer of '08. :(

Cosmic Bus 02-28-09 02:11 PM

Ah, so it does. I misread it... Back to wondering, I guess!

Luther Heggs 02-28-09 03:30 PM

Rock-A-Rolla says next month for Mondo Cane and a new Fantômas album in June.

auto 02-28-09 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by Luther Heggs (Post 9297501)
Rock-A-Rolla says next month for Mondo Cane and a new Fantômas album in June.

Cool, last I heard was early 2009.

Dan 02-28-09 04:11 PM

Can't wait for both of those!

mndtrp 03-01-09 05:15 PM

Lovage is a good time. For that matter, Patton is always an interesting listen, but can get tiring rather quick.

Hixx 03-02-09 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by auto (Post 9297040)
Also, I can't remember where I read about it but Patton is also forming a new band with TV on the Radio's Tunde Adebimpe and Subtle's Adam Drucker to record an album later this year. My brain cannot even comprehend what that will sound like.

I imagine it will sound like awesome. :D

Cusm 03-04-09 09:49 PM

I love all of his stuff - well his solo noise stuff maybe not love, and I think Peeping Tom is my favorite.

auto 03-07-09 09:51 PM

Check out this bizarro clip from "All My Children" where the characters inexplicably talk about Patton for about 60 seconds. WTF. :lol:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGex5VZB7T4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CGex5VZB7T4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&feature=player_embedded&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Supermallet 03-08-09 03:31 AM

That was awesome! :lol:

kefrank 03-10-09 11:59 PM

wow, that was bizarre. and hilarious.