Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Faith No More reunite for European Tour

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Faith No More reunite for European Tour

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-09, 01:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Re: Faith No More reunite for European Tour

I've gotta say, even though I'm not big on a Big Jim-less reunion, that set list certainly sounds sweet. If they do book a U.S. date in CA, I might bite depending on ticket pricing.
Old 06-11-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by KillerCannibal
I've gotta say, even though I'm not big on a Big Jim-less reunion, that set list certainly sounds sweet. If they do book a U.S. date in CA, I might bite depending on ticket pricing.
As much as I appreciate your integrity about the Jim situation, I always felt his personality was larger than his ability. I would have loved to have heard Angel Dust 2, but I was far from disappointed by KFOD and AOTY. I always felt KFOD was a highly underrated album that fans couldn't accept because they were waiting for Angel Dust 2. What I think makes Patton a genius is everything he does bears his signature but is different from other projects. However, I did think FNM started to sound more Bungle-ish after Martin left. Anyway, I don't know if you saw the 1995 and 1997 tours, but I didn't miss Martin at all, and that was after attending 1989 and 1992 with Martin.
Old 06-12-09, 11:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boc4ever
As much as I appreciate your integrity about the Jim situation, I always felt his personality was larger than his ability. I would have loved to have heard Angel Dust 2, but I was far from disappointed by KFOD and AOTY. I always felt KFOD was a highly underrated album that fans couldn't accept because they were waiting for Angel Dust 2. What I think makes Patton a genius is everything he does bears his signature but is different from other projects. However, I did think FNM started to sound more Bungle-ish after Martin left. Anyway, I don't know if you saw the 1995 and 1997 tours, but I didn't miss Martin at all, and that was after attending 1989 and 1992 with Martin.
Yeah I saw FNM on both the Angel Dust and KFOD tours and both were great shows. Ironically if people really want Angel Dust 2 then they're not gonna get it by bringing back Jim since he was fired mainly for his lack of contributions to AD. I'd say Angel Dust is probably the FNM album that sounds the most like Bungle, even though Trey played on KFOD.
Old 09-20-09, 06:54 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 911 Likes on 554 Posts

Just watching the 8/23/09 DVD, and damn these guys did an awesome job on this tour. Hoping they come to the US.
Old 09-21-09, 09:56 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 201 Likes on 134 Posts

OK I'll bite.....DVD?
Old 09-21-09, 04:47 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by bunkaroo
OK I'll bite.....DVD?
Bootleg of course....
Old 09-21-09, 05:08 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I have a question for big fans of FNM. The only song I'm familiar with from the Patton years is 'Epic,' which I find to be one of the most cringe inducing piles of trash I've ever heard. I have heard some of Patton with Mr. Bungle and that was alright. Is Epic really highly regarded as a great song, or merely just a radio friendly hit that misrepresents the majority of their work?
Old 09-21-09, 06:08 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Is Epic really highly regarded as a great song, or merely just a radio friendly hit that misrepresents the majority of their work?
This...

You really need to buy Angel Dust and King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime to get a good taste for FNM. Both can be had fairly cheap and you will not regret it.
Old 09-21-09, 07:29 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

Angel Dust is pretty badass, and sounds quite different from Epic.
Old 09-21-09, 08:38 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by wmaangel
bootleg of course....
I think this guy knows me or something.
Old 09-21-09, 09:03 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by auto
This...

You really need to buy Angel Dust and King for a Day, Fool for a Lifetime to get a good taste for FNM. Both can be had fairly cheap and you will not regret it.
I'll agree wholeheartedly with this and add that epic doesn't really represent the band overall musically. However, it does demonstrate the ability the band has to transcend genres. I am by no means a fan of rap but I appreciated the song because it almost poked fun at the type of song it was...if that makes sense. Off the Real Thing album, I would say "Out of Nowhere" "Zombie Eaters" and "The Real Thing" are more representative of their style.

Overall, Angel Dust is a heavy album and King for a Day is incredibly diverse. Unfortunately, I don't think a lot of Angel Dust fans gave King for a Day a chance. I go back and forth on which is my favorite. I also have to give major props to Album of the Year, which is also very eclectic.
Old 09-21-09, 11:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Angel Dust is definitely their best IMO, and one of the most important metal records of the 90's. It took me a while to come around to KFAD but I like it a lot now. I liked Album of the Year from the beginning, but not on the same level as Angel Dust.
Old 09-21-09, 11:17 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2,726 Likes on 1,882 Posts

"Epic" is the only FNM song from "The Real Thing" that sounds like that.

I never liked Angeldust, though. That sounded so different from The Real Thing that I only listened to it a couple of times. Going to have to dig it out from wherever it is and listen to it again one of these days since everyone seems to live it.
Old 09-22-09, 07:07 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

KFAD has long been my personal favorite FNM album.
Old 09-22-09, 11:58 AM

While Epic may not be representative of all their work, if you find it to be a "cringe inducing pile of trash" then FNM probably isn't for you, because this FNM fan thinks Epic is awesome.
Old 09-22-09, 04:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

The only things I don't really love about The Real Thing are the thin sound of the record and Mike's thinner, higher sounding vox. Angel Dust remedied both of those things, and was also the first time Mike was involved with writing the songs and not just writing lyrics over pre-existing material. I think that's why Angel Dust was so much of a leap over TRT IMO.
Old 09-22-09, 07:09 PM
DVD Talk Reviewer

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by Hixx
While Epic may not be representative of all their work, if you find it to be a "cringe inducing pile of trash" then FNM probably isn't for you, because this FNM fan thinks Epic is awesome.
Well, to me it always sounded like a RHCP knockoff and that's one band I honestly hate. I've listened to a bit of Angel Dust now, and it's definitely better than I imagined.
Old 09-22-09, 07:23 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Boba Fett
Well, to me it always sounded like a RHCP knockoff and that's one band I honestly hate. I've listened to a bit of Angel Dust now, and it's definitely better than I imagined.
it would actually be the other way around since Epic was released well before Give It Away Now. The rest of The Real Thing does not have the rock-rap feel to it. It's actually a good album, but it can't compare to Angel Dust.
Old 09-22-09, 09:13 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 220 Likes on 176 Posts

I like Epic, as well, despite it sounding very little like the rest of FNMs catalog.
Old 09-22-09, 11:35 PM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Originally Posted by emanon
I think this guy knows me or something.
Yeah, we've got to stop using the same user names at every place on these interwebtoobz!
Anyone else I'd remember from TSIS waste their time here too? Speaking of which, I need to find some time to get back to that place....
Old 09-23-09, 11:47 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Don't quite get the hate for Epic. Jim Martin's guitar solo brings it!

Love the energy of "The Real Thing". Have they ever released a remastered version? The only version I have is the original CD.

Angel Dust is their masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. Everything clicks on it and Mike Patton's vocals really take a giant step forward on it.

KFAD is very hit and miss, IMO. Probably their most diverse album, but for my taste, full of too many peaks and valleys and "metal 101" guitar riffs. Big Jim was sorely missed on that one.

AOY is, to my taste, a bit more consistent than KFAD and overall slightly better. The highs aren't as high as on KFAD, but the lows aren't nearly as low. "Last Cup of Sorrow" stands as one of my favs.
Old 09-23-09, 02:58 PM

Originally Posted by Obey The D
it would actually be the other way around since Epic was released well before Give It Away Now.
BloodSugarSexMagik was RHCP's fifth proper album.

Originally Posted by bardevious
Don't quite get the hate for Epic. Jim Martin's guitar solo brings it!

Love the energy of "The Real Thing". Have they ever released a remastered version? The only version I have is the original CD.

Angel Dust is their masterpiece, as far as I'm concerned. Everything clicks on it and Mike Patton's vocals really take a giant step forward on it.

KFAD is very hit and miss, IMO. Probably their most diverse album, but for my taste, full of too many peaks and valleys and "metal 101" guitar riffs. Big Jim was sorely missed on that one.

AOY is, to my taste, a bit more consistent than KFAD and overall slightly better. The highs aren't as high as on KFAD, but the lows aren't nearly as low. "Last Cup of Sorrow" stands as one of my favs.
I agree completely with all of your assessments.
Old 09-23-09, 03:14 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by Hixx
BloodSugarSexMagik was RHCP's fifth proper album.
I'm well aware of that. I brought up Give It Away Now since that and Epic were two of the first "rap rock" style songs that were hits. I figured that was what Boba Fett was referring to since early RHCP doesn't sound anthing like Epic from FNM in my opinion.
Old 02-04-10, 10:07 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 361 Likes on 304 Posts

April 14th, 2010 @ The Warfield (San Francisco, CA)

Tickets go on-sale Sunday through Ticketmaster. Pre-Sales go on-sale tomorrow. Apparently Gould is posting the password for Pre-Sales on his Twitter account.
Old 02-04-10, 10:22 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 110 Likes on 99 Posts

I'll be in London, otherwise I would have been there.

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.