Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Is Comfortly Numb one of the best songs off all time?

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Is Comfortly Numb one of the best songs off all time?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-09, 06:03 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 239 Likes on 175 Posts
Re: Is Comfortly Numb one of the best songs off all time?

Is in the "favorite" songs list, which is hundreds if not thousands of songs long. And changes depending on moods.
Old 02-19-09, 06:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great song, and the guitar solo outro is indeed a contender for best guitar solo of all time.

However, if I had to choose a "best" Pink Floyd song, I'd take Echoes.
Old 02-19-09, 07:21 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The junkie song to beat all junkie songs.
Old 02-19-09, 07:22 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,301 Likes on 945 Posts

There is no "best song" of all time.... just like there is no dark side of the Moon really...
Old 02-19-09, 10:04 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 481 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
When people say stuff like that, I want to cut them into little pieces. But then someone says, "Careful with that ax Eugene."
I'm sorry, are you feeling mellow today??

Like I said, I'm NEVER that mellow. Mellow music just doesn't do it for me. (With the exception of some Jazz, but that's a different thing altogether.)

Is there a problem with not liking mellow music?

Pink Floyd's catalog is best listened to while on quaaludes. I don't take quaaludes.

(FYI - I'm only repeating what I heard in high school back in the mid 80's about Pink Floyd and quaaludes...)
Old 02-19-09, 10:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by The Infidel
This thread, and all the opinions given within so far, really makes me wonder...what does a song have to excel in to be considered one of the greatest of all time? Is it a combination of things, or will one outstanding quality overshine others that fall short, and still make it great? Does the song have to have been a huge hit on the charts, or can an artist's more obscure album track find its place in the annals of greatness?

Given all that, I want to know not only what you consider to be a "greatest song of all time", but also why?
The greatest song of all time it totally subjective hence there will never be anything close to agreement. That's okay though. Be crap if we alll thought the same thing.
Old 02-19-09, 10:16 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 696 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by B5Erik
I'm sorry, are you feeling mellow today??

Like I said, I'm NEVER that mellow. Mellow music just doesn't do it for me. (With the exception of some Jazz, but that's a different thing altogether.)

Is there a problem with not liking mellow music?

Pink Floyd's catalog is best listened to while on quaaludes. I don't take quaaludes.

(FYI - I'm only repeating what I heard in high school back in the mid 80's about Pink Floyd and quaaludes...)
Completely disagree. There's tons of great Floyd music that you don't have to be mellowed, drugged out, introspective, etc. to get into, enjoy, or groove out to. The problem is, for the general public Pink Floyd is judged completely by Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall and, to a lesser extent, Wish You Were Here. There's a WHOLE LOT more to the band than that, but you'd NEVER know it listening to terrestrial shit radio.
Old 02-19-09, 10:28 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
The problem is, for the general public Pink Floyd is judged completely by Dark Side of the Moon, The Wall and, to a lesser extent, Wish You Were Here. There's a WHOLE LOT more to the band than that, but you'd NEVER know it listening to terrestrial shit radio.
That's a bit of an overstatement. Pink Floyd isn't a "WHOLE LOT" more than Dark Side, The Wall and WYWH. Animals is amazing (I still smoke pot) and they have some good stuff before DSOM and 2 or 3 good post Wall songs but you'd have a pretty good understanding of Floyd from those three albums.
Old 02-19-09, 11:46 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit
That's a bit of an overstatement. Pink Floyd isn't a "WHOLE LOT" more than Dark Side, The Wall and WYWH. Animals is amazing (I still smoke pot) and they have some good stuff before DSOM and 2 or 3 good post Wall songs but you'd have a pretty good understanding of Floyd from those three albums.
How can you have a good understanding of Floyd without hearing anything Syd was involved with?
Old 02-20-09, 12:04 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 250 Likes on 185 Posts

Originally Posted by Sean O'Hara
How can you have a good understanding of Floyd without hearing anything Syd was involved with?
I've never really been able to enjoy to Syd era Floyd. It's terribly dated and draining IMO. Syd inspired way better music than he ever created.
Old 02-20-09, 06:59 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by Nesbit
I disagree completely, but to teach their own. If you listen to "Obscured By Clouds" expecting anything that sounds like DSOM or WYWH, you're gonna be pretty damn surprised. It sounds like Floyd, it's the same band, but it's not even close to the same vibe.
Old 02-20-09, 09:07 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Matt Millheiser
I disagree completely, but to teach their own. If you listen to "Obscured By Clouds" expecting anything that sounds like DSOM or WYWH, you're gonna be pretty damn surprised. It sounds like Floyd, it's the same band, but it's not even close to the same vibe.
I don't know. I think Obscured By Clouds fits in pretty well with DSOTM.

I believe the sequence of events is that they were working on DSOTM, and performing it live, they stopped that and did the Obscured By Clouds, and then went back to DSOTM. I think a lot of the sound is similar. The themes and stuff like that aren't the same.

I think Atom Heart Mother and Meddle sound a lot differant than DSOTM, WYWH.

I think I listen to Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds more than Animals and The Wall.
Old 02-20-09, 11:03 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Originally Posted by tcoursen
I don't know. I think Obscured By Clouds fits in pretty well with DSOTM.
There's a lot more "power/heavy rock" on OBC than you might find on DSOTM. Granted, some of it is definitely aping the "trippy/experimental" vibe, but it's far from the sweeping mellowness of Dark Side. "When You're In", "The Gold It's In The...", and "Childhood's End" are particularly uptempo hard rock numbers. And the peppy acoustic tone of "Free Four" (although the lyrics are morbid and darkly humorous) is pretty much nowhere to be found on Dark Side.

Yeah you got your mellow jams as well, but I'd reckon anyone who wasn't knowledgable about Floyd (other than the familiar radio cuts) would be surprised about how different (and awesome) this album is.
I believe the sequence of events is that they were working on DSOTM, and performing it live, they stopped that and did the Obscured By Clouds, and then went back to DSOTM. I think a lot of the sound is similar. The themes and stuff like that aren't the same.
Similarities, sure, and you could certainly chart the evolution of their sound from OBC to DSOTM. I'm not stating a case that the albums are totally different; as I said previously, there is a WHOLE lot more to Pink Floyd than the slower, mellow vibe of Dark Side.
I think Atom Heart Mother and Meddle sound a lot differant than DSOTM, WYWH.
It's surprising how many people think "One Of These Days" is a track from DSOTM (arguably, it's the most "recognizable" pre-DSOTM Floyd song as it still gets play on classic rock radio). "Echoes" sounds a LOT like DSOTM to me as well. I agree about Atom Heart Mother, though.
I think I listen to Atom Heart Mother and Obscured by Clouds more than Animals and The Wall.
You can be my wingman any day. Although I still love Animals, but I don't listen to it as much as Obscured by Clouds and Meddle. I never listen to The Wall.

Last edited by Hokeyboy; 02-20-09 at 11:06 AM.
Old 02-20-09, 11:22 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 978 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by tcoursen
But that song is all about the Gilmout guitar solo so it doesn't really need Waters.

Pink Floyd without Waters doing the songs that originally had Waters in them is not all that differant. It's not like Waters is some amazing bass player, and Gilmour has a better voice and sounds better anyway.

Now if you want to say that the studio albums without Waters are meh, well then yeah that is a differant thing.

While I admit I do enjoy the guitar solo in the DSoT version, I disagree with the notion that because this is a Gilmour song it doesn't need Waters. I don't really care for Gilmours arangement of the song at all. In fact, I think Roger's arangement on the "In The Flesh" tour is way better. I don't like the verses in David's version. They seem slower and I don't care for the dual vocals with Rick and Guy Pratt (or whoever). Roger's delivery of the verses is irreplaceable in my opinion. And even though David's solo is obviously the high point of the song, I don't like the way his versions ends on a relatively quiet note, where as Roger's version builds to a big ending.

I seem to recall that Comfortably Numb was one of the songs that David and Roger argued about quite a bit during the recording. It's interesting to hear the differences between the versions and I honestly believe that had David recorded the song the way he wanted to, it wouldn't have been nearly as good.
Old 02-20-09, 11:35 AM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

Originally Posted by cungar
Look I saw the band perform the Wall at the LA Sports Arena in 1980. That was the best version I've heard and seen. You missed the real thing sonny. All you have is sad relics.

Old 02-20-09, 11:48 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 217 Likes on 130 Posts

Define 'one of the best'. If we're talking the top 1% of songs recorded and available to the general public, sure, it'd definitely be in that group. Probably even the top .01%. If you're talking about whether it belongs on a list of the ten best songs ever, then no. For starters, no such list could ever exist for multiple reasons.
Old 02-20-09, 12:19 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I love this song!

Last edited by LiquidSky; 02-20-09 at 12:21 PM.
Old 02-20-09, 12:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by rocket1312
I seem to recall that Comfortably Numb was one of the songs that David and Roger argued about quite a bit during the recording. It's interesting to hear the differences between the versions and I honestly believe that had David recorded the song the way he wanted to, it wouldn't have been nearly as good.
It probably wouldn't have fit the album at all, and that is probably why they fought over it. But, it seems they fought over just about everything.

I never really noticed the differance in the endings that they use. But isn't that more a matter of placement in the set list? I believe on the In The Flesh DVD that it is the last song isn't it? Whearas Gilmour ends with Run Like Hell. There definately is a differance in the two shows and it does go beyond just this one song. They both do completely differant versions of Shine on you crazy diamond. I think they both butcher Money. I like them both but probably lean a little more towards the Gilmour versions.
Old 02-20-09, 05:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by rocket1312

As a matter of fact they even argue over how the song was written.

Waters claims that Gilmour just gave him the basic chord progression and he wrote the rest of the song. Gilmour claims that the song was nearly finished and Waters just added the orchestration and lyrics.
Old 02-21-09, 07:53 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

i think its one of the best 70's hits of all time.