Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet Shop Boys - Yes 03/23 [UK]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pet Shop Boys - Yes 03/23 [UK]

Old 03-18-09, 10:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pet Shop Boys - Yes 03/23 [UK]

Originally Posted by nothingfails View Post
one thing I always wondered, but figured this would be the good place to mention it. Is "How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously" about Bono?
I've always heard it was about George Michael... and if you watch the pet shop boys "seriously" video you'll see direct references to things in some of George Michaels videos!
Old 03-18-09, 10:58 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

As far as the time line goes, that would make more sense to me.
Old 03-18-09, 11:19 AM

From the 'Behaviour'/Further listening booklet re: "How can you expect to be taken seriously?":

Neil: ...The words are about the aspirations and pomposity of pop stars and it just lists all these things that pop stars do and then says, 'how can you expect to be taken seriously?' There's the normal attack on any number of rock stars supporting humanitarian causes. ...

It goes on, but that's the gist.

This has always been one of my favorite PSB singles and it deeply saddens me that it has basically been written out of their history. [Especially since I've never been big on it's double a-side partner which won't go away. ]
Old 03-18-09, 11:49 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I agree, the single mix of that song is really great. It seems like totally ignore that it was ever a single at all. I was surprised when it didn't turn up on PopArt. Maybe if they ever do Discography 2, they will right that wrong by making it track one?
Old 03-18-09, 01:49 PM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy View Post
I agree, the single mix of that song is really great. It seems like totally ignore that it was ever a single at all. I was surprised when it didn't turn up on PopArt. Maybe if they ever do Discography 2, they will right that wrong by making it track one?
That mix is the Perfect Attitude Mix, one of my favorite. It's a good thing I have the maxi-single. I got introduced to PSB when "Before" came out, at the time I was getting into dance music. I really liked Before. I was only in high school. It was college and the whole napster/scour.net mp3 phenom where I fell in love. I have so many of their CDs (SE's, imports, even the remaster reissues) but my favorite story was way back when eBay was cool, I won an auction of 10 of their maxi-singles including this one.

Here's a video for how can you expect to be taken seriously. I wonder why did not include it on PopArt.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=29Is3qxB6E4

It sucks that I have to wait more than a month for the YES album. I just bootlegged the mp3s today and I can't wait to add the SE to my collection, the new album is AWESOME!!!!!!
Old 03-20-09, 03:04 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Got my UK itunes download early, just finished downloading it so I will hear it later today. You get the Brits melody as a bonus aswell as a commentary by the guys on each song of the new album.

Also watching a top 10 video compilation on a music channel right now and number 5 was "What have I done to deserve this" (they love their long titles don't they!) and it proves even more that it is one of my top 5 PSB tracks. Just the words Dusty sings near the end are superb!

Last edited by jdslater1; 03-20-09 at 03:07 AM.
Old 03-21-09, 03:23 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Very good album. My boss gave me a prerelease (not totally sure how legit it is to be honest) and I'm quite enjoying this. A couple of songs don't do much for me, like the 2nd cut, "All Over The World", but there are plenty of songs that are welcome into their cataloge and could end up on a "best of" disc.
Old 03-23-09, 01:56 AM

Originally Posted by atlantamoi View Post
Very good album. My boss gave me a prerelease (not totally sure how legit it is to be honest) and I'm quite enjoying this. A couple of songs don't do much for me, like the 2nd cut, "All Over The World", but there are plenty of songs that are welcome into their cataloge and could end up on a "best of" disc.
Funny...that song is my favorite one on there or at least my second favorite. Shows there's something for everyone. Really liking it.
Old 03-23-09, 12:24 PM

Pandemonium is probably going to be the next single.
Old 03-23-09, 12:57 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I like the way it used to be. so far that's my fave.
Old 03-23-09, 03:43 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I personally am in love with "Vulnerable" even tho I notice a lot of people are complaining about how whiny the song is. I think these are lyrics everyone can identify with at one time or another.
Old 03-23-09, 03:48 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

apparently the vinyl will be limited to 1000 copies

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/55813.htm
Old 03-26-09, 06:40 PM

My copies of "Love etc." finally showed up. Disappointingly they've switched back to cardsleeves. [I'm particular about how I like my CDs packaged, I can't help it - and cardsleeves are not it.] Not disappointingly, the remixes are pretty fantastic - except the Frankmusik one which is kind of pointless. The b-sides are solid too - though it's easy to see why they didn't make the album. It's all available on US iTunes as well.
Old 03-27-09, 01:49 PM

Double post - BOO!

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/shop/...-boys-yes.html

Amazing, but ridiculously expensive.
Old 03-27-09, 10:12 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Well I am listening to the Japaness release right now and I am loving it.

Did you see me coming! is a wonderful track.
Old 03-28-09, 10:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by duy37 View Post
Pandemonium is probably going to be the next single.
They were on a show in the week and they mentioned that "did you see me coming?" might/will be their next track.
I'm really loving this album, "More than a Dream" is probably my fave at the moment.
Old 03-29-09, 12:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

"Did you see me coming" would be a great choice for a single it's a near-perfect!

Pandemonium is good but I don't see hit for this one? maybe remxies later on?
Old 03-29-09, 07:56 AM

The problem with "Did you see me coming?" is that it was on the free CD with the Daily Mail and was part of the download bundle for "Love etc." so it's already been out there - it's not even anything new for people who were sitting on the fence about the album. It's a fantastic song - it reminds me a lot of "I wouldn't normally do this kind of thing" for some reason - but from a marketing perspective it makes no sense to release it.

That, and "All over the world" is a million times better and should be the second single. [There was an interview with Neil on digital spy perhaps where he said basically the same thing, but the label really wants "Did you see me coming?" and it looks like they might have won.]
Old 03-29-09, 03:53 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brokenhanger View Post
Double post - BOO!

http://www.thevinylfactory.com/shop/...-boys-yes.html

Amazing, but ridiculously expensive.
too bad there's not just a standard vinyl edition, I would so buy that... not bothering with this box set. A real shame since I generally prefer buying vinyl these days but that's just insane. Funny since vinyl seems more commonplace today than when Release and Fundamental came out and those albums had general 12" LP releases for it.
Old 03-29-09, 05:04 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

apparently a standard vinyl is set for 4/27 release in the UK

http://www.whatrecords.co.uk/items/55813.htm
Old 04-02-09, 09:42 AM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

test
Old 04-03-09, 08:57 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

^ PSB has ALWAYS been dance tho, this album is just a return to form for them. All in all, digging this much more than the latest Depeche album.
Old 04-03-09, 09:35 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
there aren't any memorable choruses
I respectfully have to disagree there, I haven't listened to the album in a few days yet still have Did You See Me Coming and All Over The World stuck in my head
Old 04-04-09, 01:23 PM

After a first listen, I don't like it very much at all. I really loved Fundamental but this one is just not doing it for me. Depeche Mode's new album has really warmed up on me after being less than enthusiastic on my first listen, so maybe this will be the same.
Old 04-04-09, 05:47 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Hey Nyko what version of YES do you have the single or double CD!

Cause you should listen to YES at less a few times it grows on you after sometime.

I have listened to Yes ((Japanesse release is must)) and SOTU alot and there very strong Cd's

Right now I have remix of Depeche Mode In Chains (Minilogue's Air Remix) it's 11:30 it's sounds like dub-mix it pretty good.

Last edited by cranberries fan; 04-04-09 at 05:49 PM.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.