Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

Pet Shop Boys - Yes 03/23 [UK]

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

Pet Shop Boys - Yes 03/23 [UK]

Old 02-26-09, 11:02 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re: Pet Shop Boys - Yes 03/23 [UK]

Originally Posted by Adrian View Post
Yes!
co-sign!
Old 03-03-09, 06:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

New stuff sounds promising, can't wait. Thanks to all for the links- loved the Brit awards performance. It would be awesome if PSB could get a breakout hit in this stage of their illustrious and impressive career. I can't believe I've been listening to and lovin them for 20+ years.
Old 03-03-09, 06:58 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by spoon81 View Post
New stuff sounds promising, can't wait. Thanks to all for the links- loved the Brit awards performance. It would be awesome if PSB could get a breakout hit in this stage of their illustrious and impressive career. I can't believe I've been listening to and lovin them for 20+ years.
If you love them so much you should become a PIN-HEAD (that's what they call us the fans).

After that Brit awards performance I went and trackdown Lady Ga Ga cd (the UK-version) and that some good stuff there pick-it-up if you can.
Old 03-04-09, 08:51 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

When you pre-order the album from the UK iTunes you get that Brit awards performance as a bonus. I really liked the mash-up they done that night, well picked songs and ending with West End Girls was great.
Just booked tickets to see them at The O2 in London in June (2 days after my birthday so that will be nice!).
This will be the 6th time I have seen them.
Old 03-05-09, 10:23 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Here's the video

<object width="480" height="295"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBiaRBUjUs&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/InBiaRBUjUs&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="480" height="295"></embed></object>
Old 03-06-09, 02:59 AM

The official site confirms a 04/21 US release date on Astralwerks.
Old 03-06-09, 09:31 PM

^ oh come on, I might have to order this via CDwow, can't wait THAT long
Old 03-07-09, 07:34 AM

Originally Posted by Giles View Post
^ oh come on, I might have to order this via CDwow, can't wait THAT long
According to Amazon.com, the list price in the US is going to be $23.99. I was looking around last night, and if you order it from Amazon.co.uk at their price of #12.98, it ends up being about the same price after shipping and conversion is figured in. So I'll end up doing that - I can't wait another month.
Old 03-07-09, 10:40 PM

^ but CDWow's price for the 2 disc is $17.49 with free postage - just ordered it.
Old 03-10-09, 06:02 PM

They've put a 10-minute megamix of the album streaming from the official site mainpage. I'm not sure if all the songs are in it - I don't think so - but the ones that are sound gooooood. Especially the single [obviously], "All over the world" [my money is on it for the second single] and "Pandemonium".
Old 03-10-09, 06:42 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Originally Posted by brokenhanger View Post
The official site confirms a 04/21 US release date on Astralwerks.
damn, bad move on Astralwerks IMO. 4/21 is the same day Depeche Mode's album comes out here as well, and most of my friends love both of them, but of course, these are the people who'll buy the import anyways.

Any word on a vinyl release?
Old 03-11-09, 07:46 AM

Originally Posted by nothingfails View Post
damn, bad move on Astralwerks IMO. 4/21 is the same day Depeche Mode's album comes out here as well, and most of my friends love both of them, but of course, these are the people who'll buy the import anyways.
True on both parts - however, if I'm remembering correctly the release date on this one is a lot closer than it was for "Fundamental".

Any word on a vinyl release?
As of now, there's been no official mention of any kind of vinyl release for the album or the single - which is nonsense. I've heard a rumor of a 4-track 12" for "Love etc" but the single comes out next week and there's been no announcement for it, so I kind of doubt it's happening.

I can't believe this will be the first PSB album with no LP release - especially when it has the best art in ages - but it's starting to look that way...
Old 03-12-09, 12:09 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

roughly half the album (6 tracks) have leaked. I like what I've heard so far, definitely plan on purchasing this.
Old 03-15-09, 09:23 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

what are the best PSB albums? I've mainly been a casual fan with only the two hits collections, Very, Behaviour, Fundamental and a few maxisingles. I want to get deeper. I know Very and Behaviour are generally regarded as the best ones. What other ones should I get?
Old 03-15-09, 09:29 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Pick up "Alternative" it's a two disc B-sides collection. Really good stuff. It covers 1985-1994 or so.
Personally I love the Nightlife era stuff, but a lot don't. Anything after bilingual is pretty subjective, you will either love or hate it. Anything before that gets more love from more people.
Old 03-16-09, 04:33 AM

what are the best PSB albums? I've mainly been a casual fan with only the two hits collections, Very, Behaviour, Fundamental and a few maxisingles. I want to get deeper. I know Very and Behaviour are generally regarded as the best ones. What other ones should I get?
My personal favorite - even above 'Very' and 'Behaviour' - is 'Actually'. I think it's just perfect, with the best clutch of singles and some of my favorite album tracks ["Shopping", "Hit music", "I want to wake up", "One more chance"...though the latter was technically a single as well].

'Please' is always a lot better than I remember - I always think I'm tired of it, but the second half is AMAZING and "Violence" is one of my favorite PSB songs ever.

'Bilingual' is also a lot stronger than I remember giving it credit for the first time around.

The only one that is a total waste of time is 'Release' - you're better off with 'Disco 3' as it is a much stronger album. Other than that, you can't go wrong with any of them. [Though most people hate 'Disco 2', I think it serves its purpose quite well and enjoy digging it out every now and again.]
Old 03-16-09, 07:18 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Originally Posted by brokenhanger View Post
The only one that is a total waste of time is 'Release'
That's actually my fave of theirs since 'Bilingual'.
Old 03-16-09, 01:53 PM
BDB
DVD Talk Legend

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Altnernative is a great shout, some phenomenal tracks on there. Most of which at that point I had had on CD Single.

the Hacienda Remix of Violence
Hey Headmaster

Loads of amazing songs
Old 03-16-09, 03:40 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

was Release really that bad or were a lot of PSB fans so disgusted at the use of guitars and the sort giving PSB more of a "rock sound" (almost the direct parallel opposite of Queen fans who hate Hot Space because of how synth-dance it sounds)?

I like the tracks I heard, it's definitely different for them, but I have to hand it to them for trying new things even tho a lot of people would kill for another Very.
Old 03-16-09, 04:06 PM

was Release really that bad or were a lot of PSB fans so disgusted at the use of guitars and the sort giving PSB more of a "rock sound" (almost the direct parallel opposite of Queen fans who hate Hot Space because of how synth-dance it sounds)?

I like the tracks I heard, it's definitely different for them, but I have to hand it to them for trying new things even tho a lot of people would kill for another Very.
I hate it because the songs are unacceptably weak - particularly the lyrics, which are just dreadful. Most of the songs are so so boring - timewise, I believe it is their shortest album but it feels like the longest because it is so dull.

That said, "Home and dry" is really pretty as is "Home" - though I prefer the remix of the latter.

Good for them for trying something different - unfortunately, part of that something different was writing a batch of incredibly bad songs.
Old 03-17-09, 01:32 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I HATED release when it first came out. But last year I decided to give it some play again, and realized its not all that bad. The remixes on the bonus disc and Disco 3 fit a lot of the songs better though. Home is a great song.
Old 03-17-09, 04:56 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

Release is the only album I do not own. The songs look and sound were just so.....eh? Nothing really that special.
I do like the earlier albums more, Domino Dancing is one of my favourite songs ever.
I actually think "Yes" might be the 1st album which I don't own as a physical CD. I want the Brits melody you get with iTunes.
I also think West Ends Girls is perfection. I just love some of the backing sounds that Chris lays down.
Old 03-17-09, 09:37 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

PSB always updates the sound of their older songs when a new tour pops up.
During Nightlife, they made some of their older songs with a more techoy sound.
I wish they would release an album with these updated versions, not really a live or
remix album, but a remake album.
Old 03-17-09, 11:19 PM
DVD Talk Special Edition

one thing I always wondered, but figured this would be the good place to mention it. Is "How Can You Expect To Be Taken Seriously" about Bono?
Old 03-18-09, 07:11 AM
DVD Talk Special Edition

I never heard that before, I dunno if that is true. Bono really didn't start to get a lot of flack from people until he started the fly character in later 1991. Which is over a year after the song was released. Could be a possibility, but I don't remember as much Bono hate out there until the Zootv era started. And even with that, U2 became a love them or hate them band.

I do know that when PSB covered " Where the streets have no name ", U2's response was "What have we done to deserve this?".

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.