DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   New Depeche Mode (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/549684-new-depeche-mode.html)

Daytripper 02-10-09 08:52 PM

New Depeche Mode

Not the first single. But a track off the new album.

http://rapidshare.com/files/19569021...music.com_.mp3

Supermallet 02-10-09 09:04 PM

Re: New Depeche Mode

I loved DM's last two albums. Very excited for this.

Daytripper 02-10-09 09:09 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9258301)
I loved DM's last two albums. Very excited for this.

I liked "Exciter" at the time. But feel it's just so undercooked listening to it now. Especially after the sublime "Playing the Angel". Which was a home run for the band. Pure electronic bliss :)

So what did you think of the new song? Here are two brief/early reviews of the album.

From Filter:

First Impressions:

-Grinding album opener, “In Chains”, is instantly grabbing with its tortured carousel machine music, and assures one that Gahan, Gore and Fletcher are back and have brought a lot to the table this time around. Do these guys even age? You wouldn’t have a clue here.

-A haunting synth line that could be a long lost cousin of John Carpenter’s brilliant Halloween theme palpitates through the lengthy spine of “Come Back”, a mysterious, hypnotic vortex of a track that might just be the very sound at the center of the Mode’s universe. A fine instrumental follows in the form of astral “Spacewalker”.

-The meandering instrumentation of “Miles Away / The Truth Is” seals the deal that Sounds is a record that follows through.

Key Tracks:

“Come Back”, “In Chains”, “Miles Away / The Truth Is”

Predictions:

Dave Gahan’s voice is as captivating as ever and Martin Gore’s songwriting is still in full form. Sounds of the Universe undoubtedly has a tortured soul, but it serves as foolproof evidence that Depeche Mode has no plans for retirement.

And from Extrawack:

extrawack!’s Corey Vezina recently caught an advance listen of the new Depeche Mode album, Sounds of the Universe…here’s his review:

Surely, you think, it must be some sort of trick. More mathematical cum financial sleight of hand bullsh*t from the pages of the paper you can’t bear to read anymore; Another of those things that reminds you of the precise reasons well all knew better than to do something as hopelessly square as pay attention in math class.

Depeche Mode, 30 years? Oh, f@ck off.

Yet, there they are. Just a year shy of the third decade -which almost no band ever sees- album 12, Sounds of the Universe, clangs loudly into the room, still confident and tight in black shades. Still dark. Still electric. Still here.

You may not remember their last two albums, Exciter and Playing the Angel. You’d be generally forgiven for that, dropping as they did in an almost hidden way, finding their pulsing way to the CD rack at Virgin to sit behind the re-pressings of Music for the Masses and Violator. Ultra, itself now a decade gone, was the last album to make anything like a wave, to bend your ear at times the way the songs always used to. The band spun into the inevitable solo projects and change of writers that always mark the sign of a good band falling finally and fully apart. Tracks began to spin more and more off of the tight electric axis they’d created. Surely, time had finally got the better of them.

But, they are not here to go quietly.

Following up on 2005’s Playing the Angel, Sounds… returns the dark, scratchy, bass-driven industrial electronic music that the band introduced on 1993’s Songs of Faith and Devotion. Long since gone are the synth-romance roots that popped and echoed through the dance clubs of the early 90s. Increasingly, the tunes are an edgy anti-pop, produced to a technically aggressive point intentionally beyond radio airplay. Music decidedly not for the masses. Understandably so at this point in their career…bitterness of experience aside, who has much left to say at 50 that they didn’t say at 20? Yet, it comes out at times as a brutish attempt to sonically remind of the steel toe in one’s boot. “We’re still loud, are you still with us?”

While surely the message of a given piece of music can be important and the statement it is making is can be impressive, at some point, songs become “good” or not when you sing them in the shower, or drum them into your steering wheel. This album seems orchestrated to not be consumed in so pedestrian a fashion.

The tight and wrought ballads are still there, Gahan’s crooning search for achieving a better version of himself continues, but expect a treatment quite similar to Playing the Angel, where Gore and Fletcher’s layering of the sounds takes you loudly the wrong way through the pipe organ. Where previous efforts would carry you away, it’s now on you to follow along.

Running about 57 minutes, the tracks include the single “Wrong”, a strongly belted and thumpingly backed lament of running life’s chances quite off the rails, the slower tempo of “Peace” where Gahan takes a choral refrain right up the cliff into falsetto and “Fragile”, another melodic bass track with a handful of the early background computer noises you got first on “New Life”, if you’ve been around that long.

“Hole to Feed” is perhaps the best effort, again pulsating and upbeat about its darkness, though, it doesn’t quite reach the heights of Angel’s top single, “Precious”. “Space Walker” is the “you get one every album” instrumental, Jezebel the “you get one every album” Martin Gore ballad, though, with a near Erasure vocal treatment.

All in, a solid album, though, with fewer songs you, a mere human, can sing along to. Like seeing that girl from high school at a 20 year reunion, you still feel the love, but you have to work harder now for the lust.

Full track list:

1. In Chains
2. Hole To Feed
3. Wrong
4. Fragile Tension
5. Little Soul
6. In Sympathy
7. Peace
8. Come Back
9. Spacewalker
10. Perfect
11. Miles Away / The Truth Is
12. Jezebel
13. Corrupt

Other DM news: “Tour of the Universe” starts May 10 in Europe, hits the US July- August, and will include a stop at NYC’s Madison Square Garden. US Tour dates to be released in about 2 weeks…check back here for details.

Supermallet 02-11-09 12:58 AM

I liked the new track. The title says it's a remix. I can't wait to hear the original. I will also definitely see them on this tour. I missed them the last time, and they're one of the major acts I've never seen.

As far as Exciter goes, I still think it's an excellent consolidation of their past work. It feels like they were making a classicist album (with strong Violator overtones), but I think the songs still sound great. Playing The Angel was definitely the group moving forward, and I'm hoping Sounds of the Universe continues in that vein. They definitely do seem reinvigorated.

bunkaroo 02-11-09 11:21 AM

Bah - still 2 1/2 months until it's released. Can't wait to hear it.

SoSpacey 02-11-09 11:34 AM

This file is suspected to contain illegal content and has been blocked. After the file has been blocked for 7 days it will automatically be deleted, if the block is not removed by RapidShare. For this reason, a download of this file is currently not possible.

cranberries fan 02-12-09 02:23 PM

Originally Posted by SoSpacey (Post 9259549)
This file is suspected to contain illegal content and has been blocked. After the file has been blocked for 7 days it will automatically be deleted, if the block is not removed by RapidShare. For this reason, a download of this file is currently not possible.

You know this has been poping-up on Rapidshare alot and not just for

Depeche Mode,other artists like Pet Shop Boys (they have a new cd coming out in march!).

I wonder if there labels lawyers are working over-time to put a stop this?

bearkiss 02-20-09 10:40 AM

exciting news! cd, cd&dvd, cd&dvd box announced! also US tour dates!!!

DEPECHE MODE ANNOUNCE 2009 NORTH AMERICAN TOUR DATES
SPECIAL DELUXE EDITION BOX SET SCHEDULED FOR RELEASE ON APRIL 20TH (Europe) IN CONJUNCTION WITH 12th STUDIO ALBUM 'SOUNDS OF THE UNIVERSE'
"Dave Gahan's voice is as captivating as ever and Martin Gore's songwriting is still in full form..it serves as foolproof evidence that Depeche Mode has no plans for retirement." — FILTER MAGAZINE
NEW YORK, NY - February 20, 2009 — Groundbreaking electro legends Depeche Mode have announced North American cities and dates for their upcoming "Tour Of The Universe," which will mark the group's most extensive outing in the region in several years. Kicking off in Toronto on July 24th, the band's 22-city North American tour will cover both the US and Canada and hit most major markets across the continent (see dates below). Tickets for select markets are set to go on sale on March 13th.
Depeche Mode's "Tour of the Universe" is happening in conjunction with the release of the group's twelfth studio album, Sounds Of the Universe (Mute/Capitol/Virgin), which will be released on April 20th in Europe, and April 21st in North America. Alongside a standard CD format, Depeche Mode has announced that Sounds Of The Universe will also be released as a Special Edition CD+DVD and a Deluxe Box Set that will include a host of exclusive material:
• Three CDs containing the album, bonus songs and remixes, as well as 14 demos available exclusively-- a career first for Depeche Mode.
• A DVD that will feature three films: Making The Universe, a behind-the scenes documentary about the recording of the album, Usual Thing, Try And Get The Question In The Answer (a conversation with the band discussing recording techniques, intercut with personal archive footage from previous album sessions) and Sounds Of The Universe (a short film featuring track by track with the band). The DVD will also include the promo video for the album's first single "Wrong" (directed by Patrick Daughters), plus four songs filmed live in the studio in December 2008 and a version of the album the album mixed in DTS 5.1 surround sound
• Two 84-page hardback books, one featuring the lyrics to all the songs from the Sounds Of The Universe sessions, accompanied by exclusive photography by Anton Corbijn. The second book will contain exclusive and candid studio photography by Daniel Miller, Ben Hillier, Luke Smith and Ferg Peterkin.
(A full rundown of all of the "Sounds Of The Universe" release formats can be found on the SOTU details page)
In addition, the album will also be released as a double vinyl LP (including a Sounds Of The Universe CD) and as a download.
Cities and dates for the group's 2009 North American concert tour are:
Friday, July 24th (Toronto)
Saturday, July 25th (Montreal)
Tuesday, July 28th (Washington, DC)
Friday, July 31st (Boston)
Saturday, August 1st (Atlantic City)
Monday, August 3rd (New York)
Monday, August 10th (Seattle)
Wednesday, August 12th (San Francisco)
Friday, August 14th (San Diego)
Sunday, August 16th (Los Angeles)
Monday, August 17th (Los Angeles)
Thursday, August 20th (Santa Barbara)
Saturday, August 22nd (Las Vegas)
Sunday, August 23rd (Phoenix)
Tuesday, August 25th (Salt Lake City)
Thursday, August 27th (Denver)
Saturday, August 29th (Dallas)
Sunday, August 30th (Houston)
Tuesday, Sept 1st (Atlanta)
Friday, Sept 4th (Tampa)
Saturday, Sept 5th (Ft. Lauderdale)
As one of the most influential bands of the post-punk era with global sales in excess of 100 million, Depeche Mode belongs to a select premiere league of super groups who have survived from the early 1980s with their ideals, creative vision and core members intact. Formed in 1981, Depeche Mode - Martin Gore, Dave Gahan and Andy 'Fletch' Fletcher - continue to win critical and commercial acclaim across the world both in the studio and on the road. All of the band's 11 studio albums have reached the Top Ten in not only the UK and USA but 20 plus countries around the world including Canada, Germany, France, Italy, Spain, Sweden, Denmark, Switzerland, and Belgium. Since their inception, Depeche Mode's live shows continue to be a must-see attraction, with the group playing to 2.8 million people across 31 countries on their last tour alone.

Supermallet 02-20-09 05:59 PM

I will get that ultimate edition and will see at least one of those Los Angeles shows.

Daytripper 02-20-09 08:39 PM

Originally Posted by Suprmallet (Post 9280441)
I will get that ultimate edition and will see at least one of those Los Angeles shows.

HA! Good luck my friend. L.A. is the hardest U.S. city to get tickets for their show. Do you have any connections? If not, would you be willing to shell out extra $$$ to go to one of those legal ticket brokers? None of my friends in Southern California have been able to get tickets without going to one. Hell, I go to one here in D.C. just to get in the first few rows. Worth every cent. I've seen these guys since "Black Celebration". And it's true what they say. Depeche Mode fans just don't go see them in concert, they go to church.

Adrian 02-20-09 11:21 PM

:rimshot:

Texan26 02-21-09 11:32 AM

Did they announce the venues or is it just the cities for now?

Daytripper 02-21-09 11:42 AM

Holy fuck guys. I just heard "Wrong", the first single. And it is AMAZING!!!!! Pure electronic bliss. And Martin's background vocals are stellar.

Hollowgen 02-21-09 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9281485)
Holy fuck guys. I just heard "Wrong", the first single. And it is AMAZING!!!!! Pure electronic bliss. And Martin's background vocals are stellar.

where at? anywhere online?

Daytripper 02-21-09 01:37 PM

Originally Posted by Hollowgen (Post 9281612)
where at? anywhere online?

Yes. Two places. KROQ L.A. premiered it last night and you can streamline the station and wait to hear it there. Or keep your eye on YouTube constantly. People post it there, but EMI (DM's new U.S. label) keeps taking it down. I saw it there this morning three different times. One lasted several hours before it was removed. Just search for "Depeche Mode Wrong" and once that list comes up, click on Upload Anytime at the top, select Today and you'll see it. Again, keep looking there. They're up and down.

superdeluxe 02-21-09 01:51 PM

Seattle baby! (most likely the Gorge though).

superdeluxe 02-21-09 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by Daytripper (Post 9281623)
Yes. Two places. KROQ L.A. premiered it last night and you can streamline the station and wait to hear it there. Or keep your eye on YouTube constantly. People post it there, but EMI (DM's new U.S. label) keeps taking it down. I saw it there this morning three different times. One lasted several hours before it was removed. Just search for "Depeche Mode Wrong" and once that list comes up, click on Upload Anytime at the top, select Today and you'll see it. Again, keep looking there. They're up and down.

You tube is a massive failure..lots of people posting depeche mode -wrong titles, but the songs turn out to be something different.

Daytripper 02-21-09 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by superdeluxe (Post 9281638)
You tube is a massive failure..lots of people posting depeche mode -wrong titles, but the songs turn out to be something different.

I know. Most were jokes up until last night. One legitimate one was just posted on YouTube. I saved it to my desktop. You have to save as a .FLV file. I can send that to you, but you have to install a FLV player, which is free and easy. Let me know if you want it.

spammied 02-21-09 09:01 PM

yes, it is gone. "This video is no longer available due to a copyright claim by EMI Music"
Hope it appears again!

Nyko 02-21-09 09:07 PM

Search for Depeche Mode and Echo awards. There's the video of them performing Wrong at the Echo awards today in Germany.

Numanoid 02-21-09 09:35 PM

It's a mimed performance, so you're hearing the actual single.

ScissorPuppy 02-22-09 09:55 AM

WOW! That sounds like Violator era stuff!
I hope the whole album is this good!

Daytripper 02-22-09 10:53 AM

Originally Posted by ScissorPuppy (Post 9282744)
WOW! That sounds like Violator era stuff!
I hope the whole album is this good!

From what I heard, it is.

BTW, I've said this before, but I just can't stand DM using a live drummer in concert. He's great and all, but the music stands on it's own. And live drums change the dynamic of certain songs. Such as this new song, "Wrong". I've listened to the track maybe 50 times with headphones (before this "live" performance) and did not detect any drums. Or guitar either for that matter.

ken_572002 02-23-09 05:10 AM

"I was in the wrong place, at the wrong time"

Oh man, what a friggin' excellent tune!!

atlantamoi 02-23-09 05:25 AM

I like that tune a lot. Promising that they could be pumping out two albums in a row back to full tilt goodness.