Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Blink 182 album

Community
Search
Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Blink 182 album

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-09, 03:44 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Re: New Blink 182 album

Originally Posted by Tarantino
blink-182 is my favorite band, hands down. I can't wait for this one.

I still like A&A and +44 though, and will be sad that there won't be another +44 album.

= J
Mark basically said +44 is finished.

Kind of sad. I wanted a follow up to When Your Heart Stops Beating.
Old 02-21-09, 09:16 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That really sucks. +44 was basically everything I loved about Blink 182 without the added pretentiousness that Tom brought to the last Blink record (which was still great but...)
Old 05-17-09, 04:26 PM
DVD Talk Legend

LOS ANGELES (Billboard) – If it hadn't been for drummer Travis Barker's near-fatal airplane crash last year, Blink-182 might not be touring this summer.

But after a five-year hiatus, the rock trio -- Barker, Mark Hoppus and Tom DeLonge -- will embark on a nearly 50-date North American arena and amphitheater tour, beginning July 24 at the Joint in Las Vegas, and wrapping October 3 at the Borgata Events Center in Atlantic City, New Jersey.

The trek will feature support on various dates from Weezer, Fall Out Boy, Panic at the Disco, All-American Rejects, Taking Back Sunday, Asher Roth and Chester French.

"My goal was to have name-brand acts all the way," Blink-182 manager Rick Devoe tells Billboard.com.

The rock act has also tapped stage designer Martin Phillips to help create "the most ridiculous display of lights and images we can imagine," Hoppus said in a statement. Phillips has worked on tour stage designs for such artists as Kanye West, Daft Punk and Nine Inch Nails.

Rumors that Blink-182 could reunite after its messy split in 2005 started last year after Hoppus posted a blog saying that Barker's survival and the death of Blink-182 producer Jerry Finn had put the band members back in touch.

"Unfortunately it took something catastrophic to do it, but sometimes that's how life is," Devoe says. "These guys got together for the right reasons."

Blink-182 confirms that it is writing new songs, but "the word on the street is that this tour is about the hits," says Devoe, who couldn't say when a new album might be released.

The manager adds that Blink-182 fans who are short on cash this summer will be happy to learn that amphitheater lawn tickets will be available for $20. "If you have $20, you get in. No fees or anything," he says.

Tickets for the Live Nation-produced tour go on sale May 30 at livenation.com.

Blink-182 doesn't plan another North American tour until the band releases a new album, Devoe says. He notes that Blink-182 can't work as quickly as it used to because the band members have family obligations and live in different cities.

"Everyone has got full lives," the manager says. "It's a different Blink, in the sense that you have to pick your kids up after school, and one of your kids has dance class and the other kid has this."
http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20090516/.../us_blink182_1
Old 05-18-09, 08:06 AM
DVD Talk Legend

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They will be on Leno tonight and tomorrow.

= J
Old 05-18-09, 12:17 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Now I have to figure out how to buy tickets to the Vegas show, and the San Diego show...then actually GET to Vegas
Old 05-19-09, 07:44 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Did anyone see them last night? Wow, talk about going through the motions. IMO, there seem to be no chemistry. DeLonge seemed extremely bored. Barker was still awesome though, as always.

I hope this isn't a sign of the future. I'm hoping this isn't just a money grab (not that I blame them).

And I've been a HUGE fan of them since my brother accidently (he was suppose to see another band at a different bar) saw them at a bar one night in San Diego and bought Dude Ranch on the spot (he knew I'd love them).
Old 05-19-09, 03:57 PM

Yeah their performance was pretty OFF, but I mean it's the first time they've played together in front of such a huge audience again, so I'll just chalk it up to that. They have to ease back into it as Blink since they've been apart a few years.

At least I HOPE that's what it was. Let's see if tonight is better.
Old 05-19-09, 08:33 PM
DVD Talk Hero

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

well here are the dates
DATE CITY VENUE
FRI 7/24 Las Vegas, NV The Joint
TUES 7/28 Vancouver, BC GM Place
THU 7/30 Calgary, AB Saddledome
FRI 7/31 Edmonton, AB Rexall Place
SAT 8/1 Saskatoon, SK Credit Union Center
SUN 8/2 Winnipeg, MB MTS Centre
TUES 8/4 Milwaukee, WI Marcus Amphitheater
THU 8/6 Boston, MA Comcast Center
FRI 8/7 Quebec City, QC Colisee Pepsi
SAT 8/8 Montreal, QC Bell Centre
SUN 8/9 Wantagh, NY Nikon Theater at Jones Beach
WED 8/12 Hershey, PA The Star Pavilion
THU 8/13 Cincinnati, OH Riverbend Music Center
FRI 8/14 Pittsburgh, PA Post Gazette Pavilion
SAT 8/15 Chicago, IL First Midwest Bank Amphitheatre
SUN 8/16 Omaha, NE Westfair Amphitheater
TUE 8/18 Minneapolis, MN Xcel Energy Center
THU 8/20 Indianapolis, IN Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
FRI 8/21 Buffalo, NY Darien Lakes Performing Arts Center
SAT 8/22 Detroit, MI DTE Energy Music Theatre
SUN 8/23 Toronto, ON Molson Amphitheater
TUE 8/25 Holmdel, NJ PNC Bank Arts Center
THU 8/27 Saratoga, NY Saratoga Performing Arts Center
FRI 8/28 Camden, PA Susquehanna Bank Center
SAT 8/29 Hartford, CT New England Dodge Music Center
SUN 8/30 Washington DC TBD
MON 8/31 Wantagh, NY Nikon Theater at Jones Beach
WED 9/2 Cleveland, OH Blossom Music Center
THU 9/3 St. Louis, MO Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
FRI 9/4 Kansas City, KS Capitol Federal Park at Sandstone
SUN 9/6 Denver, CO Fiddlers Green Amphitheater
MON 9/7 Salt Lake City, UT David O. McKay Events Center
THU 9/10 Seattle, WA White River Amphitheater
SAT 9/12 Sacramento, CA Sleep Train Amphitheater
SUN 9/13 San Francisco, CA Shoreline Amphitheater
MON 9/14 Santa Barbara, CA Santa Barbara Bowl
WED 9/16 San Diego, CA Cricket Wireless Amphitheater
THU 9/17 Irvine, CA Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
SAT 9/19 Phoenix, AZ Tempe Beach Park
MON 9/21 Albuquerque, NM Journal Pavilion
WED 9/23 Dallas, TX Cynthia Woods Mitchell Pavilion
THU 9/24 Houston, TX Superpages.com Center
SAT 9/26 West Palm Beach, FL Cruzan Amphitheater
SUN 9/27 Tampa, FL Ford Amphitheater
TUE 9/29 Atlanta, GA Lakewood Amphitheater
THU 10/1 Charlotte, NC Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
FRI 10/2 Virginia Beach, VA Verizon Wireless Amphitheater
SAT 10/3 Atlantic City, NJ Borgata Events Center

and tickets are 62.50 for the pit/good seats.
Old 05-20-09, 04:51 PM
DVD Talk Ultimate Edition

Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

so what's the deal, did Tom finally go through puberty or something?

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAzXzfk3brM&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/pAzXzfk3brM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 05-20-09, 05:24 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Tom doesn't remember how to sing like he used to - he was a huge douche when I saw Angels & Airwaves open for Weezer and it seems like he doesn't give a shit about being back in Blink, as seen in these performances... hopefully he'll remember what he's supposed to sound like because this is fucking terrible IMO... I'm definitely going to see Blink & Weezer in Toronto, but this doesn't instill confidence.
Old 05-20-09, 05:51 PM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Boy Laroux
so what's the deal, did Tom finally go through puberty or something?
That was embarrassingly bad.
Old 05-20-09, 05:59 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Even though blink is one of, if not my all-time favorite band, I've always liked Mark as a singer moreso than Tom. That's why I'm a little bummed Plus-44 is no more since honestly Angels & Airwaves is ok but just well, kind of douchey.

Tom was trying to sing like he does in AVA on Leno, and that doesn't work with Blink's style or music. It was sure as hell really nice to see them last night together again, but I think they need to pull it together. Tom looks like he was just going through the motions, whereas Travis was just insane. Mark needs to take the stick out of his ass.
Old 05-20-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Legend

That was awful singing from Tom. It didn't sound right at all.

= J
Old 05-20-09, 06:50 PM

All I heard about from everybody was how Tom got vocal lessons when he made A&A. I think he needs some un-training.
Old 05-20-09, 09:20 PM

Originally Posted by mcfly
Even though blink is one of, if not my all-time favorite band, I've always liked Mark as a singer moreso than Tom. That's why I'm a little bummed Plus-44 is no more since honestly Angels & Airwaves is ok but just well, kind of douchey.

Tom was trying to sing like he does in AVA on Leno, and that doesn't work with Blink's style or music. It was sure as hell really nice to see them last night together again, but I think they need to pull it together. Tom looks like he was just going through the motions, whereas Travis was just insane. Mark needs to take the stick out of his ass.
You just said exactly what I was going to say. I thought the second Leno performance was SLIGHTLY better, but still not up to par. There was no chemistry between Mark and Tom, which in this particular band is essential. Travis is better than ever, though.

I'm still buying my tickets to the Vegas show the day they go on sale, but I hope they really step it up because if they keep playing like that, I'll be really disappointed because they are one of my favorite bands ever and I thought I'd never get to see them live.
Old 05-20-09, 09:35 PM

I really don't get all the hate. I don't understand how you guys can judge a bands live show based on their performance on a Late Night talk show. I also don't understand how you guys can say he doesn't sing it like he used to. "All the Small Things" came out ten years ago. I'd give Tom a little leeway. I'm still super excited to see them live again. Only time I saw them was at their first show after September 11th and even with all the uncertainty in the air, they still put on a great performance.

Check out some HD videos out on youtube of their first real performance together at that T-Mobile show. Their energy is still up there and they are definitely "back."
Old 05-20-09, 09:45 PM

I don't understand how you can't see that Tom sounds like a completely different person. His voice (love it or hate it) was one of the defining characteristics of the band. If that's gone, they are NOT the same band. Can they move forward with a new sound? that remains to be seen. But right now he sounds like a bad cover singer.
Old 05-20-09, 11:09 PM
DVD Talk Legend

We understand that he doesn't sing like he used to. This means he should sing new songs, instead of the old ones, because he's making the old ones sound like shit.

= J
Old 05-21-09, 12:51 AM

Originally Posted by Tarantino
We understand that he doesn't sing like he used to. This means he should sing new songs, instead of the old ones, because he's making the old ones sound like shit.

= J
But the fans want the hits!
Old 05-21-09, 09:27 AM
Dan
DVD Talk Hero

Received 1,183 Likes on 835 Posts

My fiance, who's a big fan, didn't see anything wrong with that performance. She did comment that he sounded like he was singing in his A&A voice (I didn't know there was a difference...), but she liked it. We both agreed that Travis was awesome, as always.

I hope, for their sake, they pull it together for the tour.
Old 05-21-09, 03:35 PM

Thanks to whoever brought to my attention the Youtube T-Mobile party videos. It's a much smoother performance and the chemistry is as great as ever. Tom's still stuck in AvA singing mode but he'll ease back into it I suppose.

My fears have been put to rest.
Old 05-21-09, 04:21 PM

So this could be my favorite Blink song - just a classic. Performed at the Tmobile party referenced above. this isn't the best video to reference for tom's voice, because he's drowned out by the music.

Warning - mildly NSFW because of cursing. Not that any blink fans would really care.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Vzj28OcfdQ&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/6Vzj28OcfdQ&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Musically, they sound great and travis is insane. And the chemistry is much better than the leno shows. Tom doesn't come off as a douche, but the vocals are still iffy. he's not even really singing - he's more talking in tune.
Old 05-21-09, 05:33 PM
DVD Talk Legend

Seeing that video makes me nostalgic for 90s blink. Sigh.
Old 05-21-09, 06:37 PM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Received 204 Likes on 118 Posts

I saw AVA open for Weezer, and thought they were fine...I did miss out on Blinks "last show" which was to be the Tsunami Relief show at the Pond in Anaheim, but they broke up earlier that day...

http://new.music.yahoo.com/gavin-ros...uits--16000675
Old 06-03-09, 10:35 AM
DVD Talk Hall of Fame

Got tickets to see Blink/Weezer in Toronto in August. I usually end up with floor tix but jumped on a group of seats in the first row of seating (behind the pit) during a presale - wasn't going to risk trying for floors during the actual onsale since this concert seems like a pretty hot ticket... but damn was it expensive - each ticket was $90+ after tax and service... hopefully Blink puts on a great show - I have no doubt that Weezer will be worth every penny anyhow