Go Back  DVD Talk Forum > Entertainment Discussions > Music Talk
Reload this Page >

New Todd Rundgren "Arena"

Music Talk Discuss music in all its forms: CD, MP3, DVD-A, SACD and of course live

New Todd Rundgren "Arena"

Old 06-12-08, 05:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
New Todd Rundgren "Arena" - NEW Single Preview

Wanted to let everyone know about a new Todd Rundgren release titled "Arena". This album is done in the same vein as Journey and Boston at their peaks. It is said to contain soaring melodies, killer hooks, and massive guitar licks!

UPDATE (Press Release):

TODD RUNDGREN
ARENA

First studio album in 4 years, Arena, out September 30th
Sneak peak of album track 'Mad' on MySpace:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=314135669

NEW YORK, NY July 21, 2008 – Multi-faceted and celebrated recording artist/producer Todd Rundgren is set to release his first full-length record of original studio material in 4 years, entitled Arena on September 30th via newly launched music venture Hi Fi Recordings. Rundgren has been on the road in support of the release on a 20 + U.S. city tour this summer – which kicked off with a week-long celebration in Hawaii, culminating with the first-ever live performance of Arena in its entirety on Todd's birthday, June 22nd. Rundgren will also hit the road in support of Arena this fall in Europe and the UK where the album will be released simultaneously to the U.S. A sneak peak of an exclusive album track 'Mad' will be available on MySpace.com starting on July 15th.

Arena, recorded in Todd's current home state of Hawaii, is yet another notable addition to Rundgren's remarkable career as a performer, songwriter, and producer. The album showcases his unique songwriting style and sonically captures the essence and energy of "arena" rock with bombastic, guitar-driven tunes like "Mountaintop," "Strike" and "Mad," while the anthemic song "Mercenary," transports you to a stadium with its epic chorus, "How Do You Like Me Now?," resounding to every seat in the house.

"I found myself just going out and doing this sort of guerilla guitar quartet thing around the country and around Canada," said Rundgren, "So when it came time to make a record, I thought maybe I'll just continue in that vein and write something that is appropriate to the guitar, since the fans seem to be enjoying it so much.
"So when I decided to write a new album, I knew beforehand it was going to be this kind of old-school guitar-rock record."
Known as a man of musical innovation, Rundgren's latest release draws from his vast and impressive career experiences as a performer, songwriter and producer – including notable achievements on the cutting edge of music and technology such as: the first live nationally broadcast stereo radio concert (by microwave), which linked 40 cities around the country in 1978; the very first two commercially released music videos, one of which was nominated for the first-ever Grammy awarded for "Best Short Form Video" in 1983; and the launch of PatroNet, the world's first direct artist subscription service all of course; and of course there are the timeless hit songs, including 'Hello It's Me', 'I Saw The Light', 'Can We Still be Friends', and 'Bang The Drum.'

With ground-breaking accomplishments under his belt, Rundgren's career boasts additional credits to the aforementioned roles he is most well known for, including video pioneer, computer software developer, conceptualist and, most recently, interactive artist (re-designated TR-i). Given this incredible history and his constant creative state-of-mind, there are undoubtedly many more imaginative horizons for Todd Rundgren to discover.

Be sure to catch Todd's tour when it stops in the following cities (more to be announced soon):

July 21 Warehouse Live Houston, TX
July 23 Pageant St. Louis, MO
July 24 VooDoo @ Harrah's Kansas City, MO
July 26 Nolas Rochester NY
July 28 Bearsville Theater Bearsville, NY
Aug 1 The Tralf Buffalo, NY
Aug 2 Borgata Music Box Atlantic City, NJ

About Hi Fi Recordings:
Based in New York City, Hi Fi Recordings was founded in 1995 by entrepreneur and respected music industry insider John Hecker. Originally a joint a venture with major labels Elektra, Arista and Virgin Records, Hi Fi Recordings' history boasts the releases of successful hit albums from the likes of Avril Lavigne, Isyss, Marvelous 3 and Spacehog, among many others. Now acting as the recorded music label arm of Music Publishing Corporation of America (MPCA), an independent publisher founded in May 2006, Hi Fi Recordings is dedicated to working with marquee recording artists while also achieving synergies with its vast collection of publishing copyrights.

I will update this post when the final release date is announced (as of now sometime in July).

[IMG[/IMG]

Last edited by Jmhouse; 08-25-08 at 11:25 AM. Reason: New Information
Old 06-12-08, 10:18 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah, I've been waiting for this one. I'm looking forward to hearing what he comes up with. It should be interesting and probably the most likely commercial success for him in quite some time.
Old 06-13-08, 03:49 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
Awesome news, and a great cover, imo. I'm a big Todd fan and was a bit put off by his taking over Ric Ocasek's duties in The New Cars. His previously issued album Liars was one of his strongest, and I found it a bit sad that his sails couldn't make it on the wind of that effort. This new album sounds like he's coming back stronger than ever.
Old 06-13-08, 03:56 PM
Suspended

Todd Rundgren is still alive?
Old 06-15-08, 06:31 PM

and kicking!
Old 07-22-08, 09:45 AM

Bump...Updated 1st post
Old 07-23-08, 02:14 AM

Great news, thanks! The first song "Mad" (on MySpace) sounds very much like something from the "One Long Year" album.

But what in the name of Bob is up with Todd's album covers? I can't look at "Liars" without feeling slightly sick, and this doesn't seem much better. I know we shouldn't judge a book by its cover and all that, but using a picture like that as an album cover certainly won't be boosting sales... It's as if he'd be deliberately trying to keep his sales low.
Old 07-30-08, 03:03 PM

I have to disagree...Love the covers and how they tie into the overall theme for each release.
Old 07-31-08, 02:00 PM

Live Video of new songs!

"Afraid" new track off of new release "Arena":

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OywWZJQUJW4&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OywWZJQUJW4&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-01-08, 08:21 AM

One of the first full album reviews:

http://www.getreadytorock.com/review..._rundgren4.htm

TODD RUNDGREN Arena Hi Fi Recordings(2008)

Rundgren's last offering - 'Liars' in 2004 - reasserted his claim to be one of rock's true talents, if somewhat of acquired taste status.

With album content unpredictable, he has boldly gone where artists fear to tread, sometimes out of kilter with prevailing musical tastes or reviving old genres. This confuses some but his fans love him for it.

And, with a couple of UK tours since, and now one planned for November to promote this album, his faithful can understandably be rubbing their hands with glee. The rest of us should quickly draw breath.

Hearing that 'Arena' is a return to guitar rock was intriguing as I always felt in previous years his musical focus has been elsewhere - Bossa Nova, soul, even acappella. Conceived as a tribute (and antidote) to those arena rock albums (and bands) and with a lyrical theme that explores the vulnerability, paranoia and aggression of men, 'Arena' is a natural successor to 'Liars' which was somewhat more philosophical in content.

'Arena' is an album that may be aimed fair and square at the greybeards who predominately make up Rundgren's target demographic but, hey, they can bring their kids to this party...

Musically, there is enough of a nod to Rundgren's past to connect with the faithful whilst for the rest of us it is all highly accessible - more so than 'Liars'.

Rundgren's trademark multi-layered harmonies and the deft way he works a song with exquisite time changes and hooks are gloriously evident.

'Afraid' in particular is a gem, with a resonant sixties thriller motif that hooks you into a trademark killer chorus underpinned with wonderful phased guitar riff, and there's a quirky synth-led bridge section. Cue guitar solo. And if you need further confirmation, 'Courage' admirably evokes past glories and will have the faithful in raptures.

'Mercenary', 'Panic' and 'Manup' is excellent riff-rock and there's a bluesy feel to 'Gun'. 'Strike' is out and out stadium rock and will go down well live - as Rundgren says, he wanted to create an album you could punch the air to. And AC/DC fans will be doing just that. 'Mountaintop' would have graced a glam rock album - sort of The Sweet via The Darkness.

'Bardo' is - perhaps surprisingly - right out of the Robin Trower songbook and could be Bridge Of Sighs Part 2, lovely arpeggiated guitar and a moody vibe throughout. And a link to the spirit of 'Liars' is provided in the tracks 'Weakness' and 'Today'.

Like on 'Liars' Rundgren has played all instruments and his underrated guitar playing is exemplary throughout. Although touted as a return to guitar rock, unfortunately there is little solo guitar and what exists is perhaps a little too restrained. The solo on 'Afraid' being a case in point. This might all be corrected in the live context.

But overall this really is a return to the straight-ahead style displayed on 'One Long Year' (2000) that spawned the superb 'Buffalo Grass', updated here with the lead track 'Mad'. Coincidentally that album also featured current tour band members Jesse Green and Prairie Prince.

Todd has recently turned 60, 'Arena' should therefore mark a permanent Rundgren Renaissance in the UK. For too long the preserve of those in the know - at least this side of the pond - he has bounced back with an album that doffs a baseball cap to classic guitar rock and provides another springboard to investigate sumptuous back catalogue. A true wizard indeed.

****½

Review by David Randall
Old 08-06-08, 10:42 AM

More video from the current "Arena" tour...this time some old school Todd:

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/bW2TDfifqkE&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/bW2TDfifqkE&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>
Old 08-25-08, 11:27 AM

Updated first post with new one-sheet....
Old 09-04-08, 07:54 AM

New Studio track posted!

There is yet another studio track posted on the Todd Rundgren Myspace page. It is titled "Strike" and sounds very much like AC/DC (imo), Give it a listen:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm...ndID=314135669

If the first 2 tracks are any indication this should be one killer CD! I believe the retail product is to be packaged with a DVD of the full album recorded from his 60th birthday bash (Toddstock) at his house in Kuai. Pretty cool!
Old 09-13-08, 08:06 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

His MySpace page has now been updated with another song called 'Mountaintop'.
Old 09-25-08, 03:47 PM

Todd may get a Grammy nod!

Just posted on Todd's officail Myspace page:

HiFi Records pulled off some last minute magic and was able to submit Arena to be voted on by the Grammy committee!
Old 10-01-08, 08:39 AM

Arena has been unleashed!
Old 10-20-08, 02:29 PM
DVD Talk Platinum Edition

Received 73 Likes on 50 Posts
As a long-time Todd fan (saw him play at the Tower Theater in Upper Darby, PA--his old stomping grounds--back in the day) this new release just doesn't do it for me. Maybe some more listening time with it will make me "See The Light." Guess I was hoping for something more poppy and more melodic with a nice upfront vocal mix.

Last edited by Franchot; 10-20-08 at 02:37 PM.
Old 10-21-08, 12:05 AM
DVD Talk Gold Edition

I didn't know quite what to expect, either, and was hoping for maybe a bit more power-pop-ness, too. However, I'm not disappointed. This is the hardest rocking, and most guitar playing album I've heard from Rundgren in too long a time. I'm very glad the synths are taking a major back seat for a change.
Old 10-22-08, 06:01 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

The more that I play it, the better I like it. It definitely rocks with guitar hooks / solos and his vocals are outstanding. It's nice to have Todd pushing the pedal to the floor again.
Old 11-04-08, 01:45 AM

I'm looking forward for the arena CD, sometimes i ask myself how live goes on when todd is getting still older and his voice and ears are slowing down, what would i like to remember most?
So ask yourself.................
Old 01-12-09, 10:02 AM

Re: New Todd Rundgren "Arena"

Be sure to catch the repeat broadcast on HDnet:

Sun., Jan. 18th 6:30 PM ET Todd Rundgren: The Arena Tour

Join pop genius and studio magician Todd Rundgren live at the Boulder Theatre on the 2008 Arena Tour as he performs songs from his new album, Arena, while performing classic songs from his illustrious catalogue as well. As a songwriter, video pioneer, producer, recording artist, computer software developer, conceptualist, interactive artist, and CEO, Rundgren has made a lasting impact on the form, content, and delivery of popular music for the past 40 years. So sit back and enjoy a classic artist delve into his past, present and future songs live on HDNet.
Old 01-14-09, 07:08 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by Jmhouse
Be sure to catch the repeat broadcast on HDnet:

Sun., Jan. 18th 6:30 PM ET Todd Rundgren: The Arena Tour
Wow! Thanks very much for the heads up. I just set up the HD DVR to record it. A Todd concert in high-def .... too cool!
Old 01-15-09, 01:50 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts

What's HDnet? Is that a premium cable channel?

Edit: I just queried and learned that my cable provider Time Warner does not carry this.

Last edited by Jack Straw; 01-15-09 at 01:53 PM.
Old 01-28-09, 07:05 AM

I am not a fan of the Liars or the Arena cd covers either....there are other ways to depict what the content of the album is trying to represent. For fans of TR it may be fine but if he is interested in attracting new listeners..he should have considered a more attractive cover.
True you can't tell a book by its cover but appearances are important especially to those who are not familiar with his music.
Old 01-30-09, 10:25 PM
DVD Talk Limited Edition

Originally Posted by DrMemory
I am not a fan of the Liars or the Arena cd covers either....there are other ways to depict what the content of the album is trying to represent. For fans of TR it may be fine but if he is interested in attracting new listeners..he should have considered a more attractive cover.
True you can't tell a book by its cover but appearances are important especially to those who are not familiar with his music.
I've been a TR fan for a very long time and I don't like the cover. It doesn't surprise me that Todd liked it though.

Search this Thread

Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.