DVD Talk Forum

DVD Talk Forum (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/)
-   Music Talk (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk-28/)
-   -   Cyndi Lauper Vs Madonna ------circa "1984" (https://forum.dvdtalk.com/music-talk/548616-cyndi-lauper-vs-madonna-circa-1984-a.html)

Buttmunker 01-26-09 08:06 AM

Cyndi Lauper Vs Madonna ------circa "1984"

In 1984, who did you like better - Cyndi Lauper or that chick Madonna? Both were hugely popular, and both were hugely unusual.

I was 14 in 1984, and I viewed Madonna's music as a little too "pop" and "dance" for my tastes. Cyndi Lauper's music fell more into my music category, so I voted for Cyndi. After all, she had The Hooters as her backing band on the album She's So Unusual - can't go wrong there.

nothingfails 01-26-09 02:38 PM

Re: Cyndi Lauper Vs Madonna ------circa "1984"

I was little then, I did like both of them (I did especially love "Lucky Star"), but at the time, I was more drawn to Cyndi, I think her image circa 1984 was more kid-friendly while Madonna was more teen-geared back then. Madonna has had the much better career of course, although I actually preferred Cyndi's "Bring Ya To The Brink" to Madge's "Hard Candy"

brainee 01-26-09 04:59 PM

As a post-pubescent male, I think Madonna was more appealing to me. Though I owned cassettes (remember those?) from both. And Lauper was the only one I saw in concert - but that was more because she seemed "safer" to my parents than Madonna. I still remember that show. The Bangles (before any of their hits) were the opening act :)

Both have aged a lot better than anyone would've thought in the 80's.

wm lopez 01-26-09 06:17 PM

Didn't both debut albums come out in 1983?
I remember the FEMINISTS gave Cyndi an award and didn't like Madonna because she used sex as selling her music. Where Cyndi was about having fun and not looking sexy.

nothingfails 01-26-09 06:22 PM

what I loved about the whole "selling sex" thing is that a few years later, Cyndi appeared nude in the I Drove All Night video. Of course, even at her dirtiest, she was never as dirty as Madge was back in those days.

7Keys 01-26-09 09:54 PM

Cyndi - I still listen to her quite a bit. And I've seen her "At Last" dvd a few times. It's a good show.

Madonna has just a few songs from the 80's I like.

JAA 01-27-09 07:02 AM

In 1984? Madonna (sex) . . . easily! :drool:

LiquidSky 01-27-09 07:21 AM

Cyndi

yojimbo44 01-27-09 07:32 AM

At the time, Cyndi seemed to have a bit more going for her in terms of being sytlistically varied and She's So Unusual is one of the great pop albums of the last 25 or so years - i viewed Madonna as more of a dance act that had huge mainstream appeal, although she has evolved into The female artist of the last quarter century - but for a circa 1984 argument, i'd go with Cyndi - plus she had perfect ice cream scoop cleavage.
http://blog.eitb.com/media/Image/cyndi-lauper(3).jpeg

Check out The Body Acoustic from a couple of years ago - some really nice reworking of some of Cyndi's hits.

big whoppa 01-28-09 12:32 AM

Both. Videos from both of them at the time were unforgettable. And their albums were tremendous hits. Singles like "Material Girl" and "Like a Virgin" from Madonna and one of the biggest debuts with the most hit singles (at that time) from Cyndi's "She's So Unusual."

FantasticVSDoom 01-28-09 07:38 AM

I think at the time it was Lauper because my mom used to play the shit over and over again... I do have to say, my wife dragged me to the Cyndi Lauper/B52s last year at Radio City, and she still puts on a pretty good show and still has a strong voice.

The Bus 01-28-09 08:08 AM

Ha-ha, you guys are old.

atlantamoi 01-28-09 08:11 AM

Lauper's cover of "Money Changes Everything" beats anything Madonna did back then, although I liked both at the time.

shizawn 01-28-09 01:38 PM

I was 10 then, so my only experience with both was from MTV basically. I only knew the singles and whatnot. I liked both, but probably perferred Madonna.

But Cyndi had Captain Lou Albano as her dad in "Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" ... hmmm. This is tough.

GuessWho 01-28-09 01:48 PM

Madonna never sang a song about The Goonies

PopcornTreeCt 01-28-09 02:05 PM

Well I was only 2 years in 1984. But looking at both their careers, Madonna is Madonna and Cyndi Lauper is a one hit wonder.

But again, I was too young. MTV had 15 years to tell me how great Madonna is/was.

LiquidSky 01-28-09 02:14 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9228910)
Cyndi Lauper is a one hit wonder.

Cyndi had more than one hit song: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Time After Time, Money Changes Everything, She Bop, True Colors, Change of Heart, and I Drove All Night.

shizawn 01-28-09 03:19 PM

Originally Posted by GuessWho (Post 9228864)
Madonna never sang a song about The Goonies

I was thinking that too, and it would've probably put Cyndi over the top, but The Goonies was in 1985, so I figured it wouldn't count.

PopcornTreeCt 01-28-09 06:59 PM

Originally Posted by LiquidSky (Post 9228943)
Cyndi had more than one hit song: Girls Just Wanna Have Fun, Time After Time, Money Changes Everything, She Bop, True Colors, Change of Heart, and I Drove All Night.

Perhaps. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the only one that still plays regularly on the radio.

Sean O'Hara 01-28-09 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by PopcornTreeCt (Post 9229734)
Perhaps. Girls Just Wanna Have Fun is the only one that still plays regularly on the radio.

Time After Time gets played all the time.

cranberries fan 01-28-09 08:17 PM

Both but at time I was huge on Culture Club and Depeche Mode,Wham!,Tears For Fears.